• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFamous: Second Son Characters Polygon Count revealed (120k Polygons)

This, definitely. Halo 4 has some fantastic face detail, especially for being on such an old console.

I really hope the detailing in character models improves down the line of this gen, because Ryse has the only decent looking ones so far.

Halo 4 does indeed look good, although I think people give it too much credit when it comes to the facial modelling and animation. Looked a good step up from other Halo games to me, but it was definitely veered into the uncanny realm. Having played both, Infamous quite obviously looks much more impressive, and it is open world to boot.

The eyes, man. Beyond did the eyes so well.
Yeah eyes were nice:

eyitrktijoqt.png

vlcsnap-2014-04-14-169or8o.png

http://abload.de/img/10606554174_535c7ddd4evrr3.png
http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2014-04-14-17mhpmk.png
http://abload.de/img/10772378686_46bc769f9ldomn.png

Yeah, I think I'll capture lots of footage during my next play-through. Silly of me for not thinking to do it during my first play-through.
I have two hours of uncompressed direct feed footage of Beyond on my external harddrive.
Really? I have nothing better to do!? Sigh...

No offense to QD but they can not do black people. Models seem off.

Hell very few games have believable black character models. Off the top of my head GTA V and TLOU.

Um, wow. I don't blame you though, there were a number of times I wished there was a video capture option. It's a very impressive game visually, but can be a little hit and miss at times too...

Anyway, last two...

http://a.pomf.se/ngpeym.webm
http://a.pomf.se/kjxenc.webm
Sony should hurry up with the PS4 export function. Also yeah, the Navajo section is probably the worst looking chapter in the game. Really inconsistent texturing. It looked really good though before launch, so I suspect it got a "PS3 hasn't enough RAM" downgrade. A PS4 port with the old version would be nice:

Shin-Ra

Navajo's open world-ish in a game without very much of that so it's not a big surprise it's not well optimised.

Uh yes there are. You can blow up cars, you can blow up check points, you can blow up other debris. Everything isn't fully destructible though.

No need to be aggressive? The game is insanely offensive towards the mentally ill and Native Americans.
How so?

It has no cohesive plot, characters do things for absolutely no reason, there is no consistency in the world, hey Aiden I can't use you because plot?
Your opinion(although I agree with it) and certainly no reason to be aggressive?

The game's being sued by the main actress.
Bullshit.

Its idea of innovation is David Cage watching Memento and then trying to recreate it by having the plot so out of order that the themes and expressions he's trying to evoke are made completely pointless because you've already seen what happens afterwards!

Sorry but no. Comparing Beyond Two Souls to a game like Infamous, which is fun to play, offends me to my very gaming core.

But yeah the facial animations are great (even though Ellen Page's eyes look dead half the time).

You're welcome to share your opinion of the game, and I'm welcome to shit on the game, because frankly it's about as enjoyable as watching Housewives of Atlanta sober.
So because you don't like the plot, people comparing the graphics to the graphics of a game you like makes you mad? SMH.

Navajo's open world-ish in a game without very much of that so it's not a big surprise it's not well optimised.
Definitely. I wonder if that scene was a testbed for their next game actually. Their engine is now capable of rendering more open environments and they have fully implemented vehicle controls as well. An adventure game set in a semi-open city sure would be nice.

I can't quite remember because it's been a while since I've played, but the cutscenes themselves are definitely in-engine. Just searched for a few minutes and this definitely seems in-game:
LnmcE.png

See texturing looks pretty nice there, and the modelling is great for a 360 game, but it even in that small pick it is obvious it doesn't approach Infamous...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There are workloads that require a CPU and won't do as well on a GPU. The CPU will always be a bottleneck.

Thankfully all of the tech presentations I've seen have said they were surprised at how much they could actually get out of the CPU. It's still not particularly impressive but the performance is better than what many were expecting and not to the point that I think it'll cause much of a bottleneck.

Honestly, this is one of the best games (visual and gameplay) I've played on a console in a long time. Everything looks great from the characters to the draining of neon/smoke (only ones I have so far) and just overall fidelity.

The only problem I have with the game (and it's fairly minor because they have vastly improved from 1 and 2) is that the cars and such still just seem like they are on 'tracks'. Most open-world games have this issue though, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Rows ... only GTA games can really convince me that they are autonomous even if they aren't. Hopefully with more juice in these systems the AI and physics will be improved much like lighting took a huge jump last generation.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
and we wonder why there aren't more 60fps games. 120k model? sheesh, couldn't they have swapped a lower poly version for in game? considering how far the camera is most of the time this seems like overkill.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
and we wonder why there aren't more 60fps games. 120k model? sheesh, couldn't they have swapped a lower poly version for in game? considering how far the camera is most of the time this seems like overkill.

The game uses LoDs. 120k is probably only for cutscenes.

Toxa

Sony should hurry up with the PS4 export function. Also yeah, the Navajo section is probably the worst looking chapter in the game. Really inconsistent texturing. It looked really good though before launch, so I suspect it got a "PS3 hasn't enough RAM" downgrade. A PS4 port with the old version would be nice:

navajo part was my favorite one, breathtaking and beautiful to my eyes even some texture was bad

Someone made this a while back in Neogaf, lol:

But 120 000 polys in an open world game where you can go up and dow is very impressive.
The Sorcerer is probably only 100k actually, which is pretty impressive given how good he looks. The 1 million thing seems like a typo. I tweeted someone at QD though and hope I get an answer soon, so we can put this to rest.

OH PLEAAAAAAAAAAAASE? From did you get this? I didn't know an event happened where this thing was shown. Any video or link or news?
Just the portfolio of someone that worked on Sorcerer and the unannounced PS4 game. He showcased some of their PS4 techniques using Jodie's model from Beyond. Now this could mean that nothing else was available at the time or maybe that a PS4 port does indeed exist. It's not a confirmation exactly, but certainly another hint: http://vimeo.com/60941218

Dragon

Banned
So because you don't like the plot, people comparing the graphics to the graphics of a game you like makes you mad? SMH.

No. People saying it's comparable to an open world game with essentially no loading is laughable at the very least. Beyond has severe loading, has framerate issues and has pop in issues. Ignoring that because the facial animation is good is really silly.

LakeEarth

I thought Delsin and Reggie's faces were really well done, and the facial motion capture was really good and emotive. But something was up with Augustine, her face really didn't have the same dynamic range as other characters.

It's really cool that the face capture is also used when Delsin talks during gameplay. Swing around the camera and check while Delsin talks to someone on the phone. It's not nearly as emotive as from cutscenes, but the mouth movements match perfectly with the words he is saying. They didn't have to do that, they could've just had the mouth opening and closing, so I really appreciate the detail.

The Sorcerer is probably only 100k actually, which is pretty impressive given how good he looks. The 1 million thing seems like a typo. I tweeted someone at QD though and hope I get an answer soon, so we can put this to rest.

probably yes -_-
: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/11/the-dark-sorcerer-a-next-gen-comedy/

"In the current demo, there are about a million polygons in the set, and a little less than a million per character on the screen (i.e. a total of 4 million when the three characters are on the screen). Each character has about 350 MB of textures and about forty different shaders. It’s all managed with Physically Based Shaders, volumetric lights, full HDR, Color Grading, Physical Lenses (particularly useful for chromatic aberrations and 3D depth of field), and translucence for more realistic rendering of the skin. The change of set and all the lighting (and the behavior of the shaders) between the dramatic version of the set and the “studio” version is done in real time. The same holds true for all pyrotechnical particle effects."

One million, 4 millions, here the guy say it it again one million and that the game FPS is noy optimized and can reach 90 FPS sometimes: http://n4g.com/news/1278795/the-dark-sorcerer-extended-12-06-mns-video-and-screenshots

More typos? You should get a rest.

just out of curiosity, do we know how many polygons kratos was?

Probably the best character model Ive seen on the ps3.

Final Model of Kratos in GOW3 is 35K polys, confirmed by the devs in the official release thread in playstation forums. Demo model used 20k polys and had lesser details (his toes are just a texture and flat and not 3d modeled like in the final game). Also in GOW3, there is no LOD 5level of detail) Kratos model always has the same amount of polys either in closeups or microscopic when held between Cronos' fingers (at that moment even his muscles continue to flex). Very impressive engine.

No. People saying it's comparable to an open world game with essentially no loading is laughable at the very least. Beyond has severe loading, has framerate issues and has pop in issues. Ignoring that because the facial animation is good is really silly.
No one does though. People are saying that Jodie's model looks pretty damn good considering she is only 30k polys while Infamous has 120k polys models. This actually disproves your entire point. Infamous' characters are vastly more complex to render, yet some people think they don't look as good or are surprised that they look about even in their eyes. Power or what type of genre each game is is therefore a moot point.

We're just comparing facial models and quality. I don't even remember a single person trying to ague that Beyond has the better looking environments or whatever. It doesn't. Given the power difference between the two consoles we can just compare the two games character models without taking their genre into consideration at all. The PS4 is way too powerful for that and any type of genre on PS4 is fully able to destroy any given PS3 game in every way possible. Comparing The Order with Infamous would be stupid yeah, cause both are on the same platform.

For facial animations power wouldn't even matter on the same console. It almost costs nothing, it all depends on how the animations were obtained and how they are implemented.

Astral Dog

It seems a little strange to compare 360/PS3 characters to Infamous,a next gen game, and saying that they looked better.

Character models were really damn impressive. And facial animations were off the charts. The second conversation with Betty near the beginning of the game is just jaw dropping.

Though the dick measuring with Ryse and Halo 4 in this thread is amusing too.

probably yes -_-
: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/11/the-dark-sorcerer-a-next-gen-comedy/

One million, 4 millions, here the guy say it it again one million and that the game FPS is noy optimized and can reach 90 FPS sometimes: http://n4g.com/news/1278795/the-dark-sorcerer-extended-12-06-mns-video-and-screenshots

More typos? You should get a rest.
And then there is the stuff from the show-floor:

"There’s also a bit of a mystery that we are still unable to solve. The article on the Official PlayStation blog talks about a little less than a million polygons per character, but our team reports that during the presentations at E3 “only” 60-70,000 polygons were mentioned. The other sources agree with that notion. I included the official PlayStation blog number in the list above, as it’s the most “official” source we have, but the discrepancy seems strange. We reached out to Quantic Dream for a clarification on the issue, and we’ll keep you updated if we hear anything relevant."

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06...echnical-specs-unveiled-and-a-little-mystery/

I tweeted someone at QD and hopefully get an answer soon.

It seems a little strange to compare 360/PS3 characters to Infamous,a next gen game, and saying that they looked better.
Just comparing certain elements seem fine to me. I don't see anyone arguing that as a whole any PS3/360 game looked better.

Character models were really damn impressive. And facial animations were off the charts. The second conversation with Betty near the beginning of the game is just jaw dropping.

Though the dick measuring with Ryse and Halo 4 in this thread is amusing too.

I wouldn't say it's dick measuring. More appreciating how good facial animations/details have gotten over the past couple of years.

Ryse, Halo 4, Beyond, I:SS, GoW3 to name just a few are very notable for their impressive facial detail and animations. Although I:SS is the best of the bunch in my opinion.

nbthedude

Sweet. Hopefully that's enough polygon's to guarantee me a good trade in price on this forgettable game.

This dude is going to Best Buy today in trade for a copy of Dragon's Crown for the Vita.

Top Bottom