• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFamous: Second Son Characters Polygon Count revealed (120k Polygons)

That seems a little overkill in the polygon department. For a while now polygons haven't usually been the weak point in videogame graphics.

Whether it's on PS3 or PS1, people are comparing it to Infamous, so it's not really relevant.

The framerate is not solid at all. It literally freezes multiple times during a single playthrough. And when I say freezes, it basically makes the player question if the game crashed.
That only happens when the game saves. It's a bug and has nothing to do with the framerate fortunately. Disable saving in the menu and the game never freezes even once :) It also works fine for me with saving enabled, but that seems dependent on the PS3 model similar with some bugs in TLoU.

Beyond could benefit from being thrown in the trash. For a game really trying to push the envelope plot wise, it makes seemingly every single mistake it possibly could.
That's certainly an opinion. No reason to be so aggressive towards people expressing their own tho. It was a success sales wise, many people including me loved it and it seems like it will get a remaster on PS4. So it won't go anywhere. You will have to accept that it is a common and valid opinion to like the game.

Shin-Ra

All the yellow and black DUP structures are permanently destroyable and it can be quite spectacular when all the pieces crash down and layer up on one another.

DigiMish

Yeah but those are mere props that probably don't equate to even a tenth of the overall environment. You can't physically dent a road, tree, corner of building, hell, a light post; things you could destroy in open world games two gens ago.

What open world games allow you to destroy a corner of a building or put a dent in the road that stays there?

Yeah but those are mere props that probably don't equate to even a tenth of the overall environment. You can't physically dent a road, tree, corner of building, hell, a light post; things you could destroy in open world games two gens ago.

I was being facetious in my previous post to infer that while it's nice and dandy that so many polygons makeup characters we see today, it can hardly make up for what the game can't do in the way of gameplay variety. It's obvious after beating the game in 9 hrs after why the graphics look so good.

Must be selective furniture. My buddy and I were on the ground near some steps with a cafe and outdoor chairs and tables . We stopped here because the AI would walk to the stairs and either trip Up or Down depending which direction they were heading. It never failed. They wouldn't walk in either direction. Then they would stop, and walk up to one of the circular tables and transport right on top of it standing. Chairs too. Like you, I would try blasting these people using missile attacks which resulted in the npc flying but nothing else. Cafe chair and tables intact.
What does this have to do with a thread about polygon counts?

Dragon

Banned
Yeah, no. There aren't destructive environments. You can't even tip a chair over. Let's not get goofy here.

Uh yes there are. You can blow up cars, you can blow up check points, you can blow up other debris. Everything isn't fully destructible though.

That only happens when the game saves. It's a bug and has nothing to do with the framerate fortunately. Disable saving in the menu and the game never freezes even once :) It also works fine for me with saving enabled, but that seems dependent on the PS3 model similar with some bugs in TLoU.

That's certainly an opinion. No reason to be so aggressive towards people expressing their own tho. It was a success sales wise, many people including me loved it and it seems like it will get a remaster on PS4. So it won't go anywhere. You will have to accept that it is a common and valid opinion to like the game.

No need to be aggressive? The game is insanely offensive towards the mentally ill and Native Americans. It has no cohesive plot, characters do things for absolutely no reason, there is no consistency in the world, hey Aiden I can't use you because plot? The game's being sued by the main actress. Its idea of innovation is David Cage watching Memento and then trying to recreate it by having the plot so out of order that the themes and expressions he's trying to evoke are made completely pointless because you've already seen what happens afterwards!

Sorry but no. Comparing Beyond Two Souls to a game like Infamous, which is fun to play, offends me to my very gaming core.

But yeah the facial animations are great (even though Ellen Page's eyes look dead half the time).

You're welcome to share your opinion of the game, and I'm welcome to shit on the game, because frankly it's about as enjoyable as watching Housewives of Atlanta sober.

delsin.jpg

Really wish they had re worked that sequence. Every time it happened it looked gimped and actually made me laugh.

Endo Punk

The Del power up face is too much lol. Love how the game looks but not a fan of facial capture. It always looks inconsistent, when it does looks good it's pretty cool but when it looks bad it's really bad, takes you out of the experience. That's why I prefer ND's work and I hope they stick to hand drawn animation with UC4. Characters always look awesome no matter what face they are pulling with hand drawn animation.

To point out that it is easy segment a lot resources to one aspect of the game that many don't only care about at the expense of what is also important, namely gameplay and, in a game like this, immersion. Better to elaborate that point than shit thread with a drive by "lol who cares".

Like I said, what proof do you have that polygon count is what kept this game from having enough game play variety? It's easy to armchair quarterback and say, "If they had cut this out, and focused on that", as if game development is really that simple, but what makes you qualified to make that parallel?

Darknight

I cant wait to see Drake/Kratos/Ryo Hazuki/Nariko/OLD Rico(KZ4 lol) @ 100K polys each.

Also! The character models were really cool. I loved all the outfits to everyone. The lady boss at the end looked fantastic. (sans her face) Also that nerdy dude with AR powers kinda looked too real at one point lol. Delsin is the best designed protagonist out of all the inF games. (guess its and age group thing, feel bad for OLD GAF)

No need to be aggressive? The game is insanely offensive towards the mentally ill and Native Americans. It has no cohesive plot, characters do things for absolutely no reason, there is no consistency in the world, hey Aiden I can't use you because plot? The game's being sued by the main actress.
WTF am I reading? Are you drunk? It's a work of fiction and a game, no need to get so worked up about it. I didn't find anything offensive at all. By your definition there are offensive things in every game. What the characters are doing made sense to me as well, the timeline and earlier chapters explain it nicely. Aiden is helpless when Jodie is weak or unconsious because of their connection over the cord, which was explained as well. Other times he only helps when he absolutely has to, he does what he wants and the only interest he has in her survival is his own existence. This was all explained.

Also Page suing Sony was a press BS story. Nothing ever happened which her managers confirmed. She still loved her involement in Beyond. Please stop spreading wrong and shameful tabloid nonsense, which casts a shadow over the fantastic work of all the actors, who are all immensely proud of the product they helped to create.

Again, it's an action-thriller with supernatural and sci-fi elements solely meant for entertainment. Entertaining it was for me. Not sure why you are so invested in this.

textures looked like they could have taken up more space on the map or just better organized, same with how polys are stepped down

120 was not used well

Like you said? I went back and didn't see you ask the question before but to answer you, we know the game has been in development for three years and post release, there have been numerous discussions about how amazing the game looks but not how amazing it plays both from critics and players alike. Three years is plenty of time to make a game whose main storyline does not amount to 4 hours of gameplay that equates to roughly 25% of in game statistics while the other 75% has you:

-finding hidden cameras
-finding hidden spy's
-finding hidden audio tapes
-finding a DUP generator
-finding a shard
-finding a wall for graffiti
-finding drug dealers

Across , what, ten districts?

By contrast, Bethesda stopped development of Fallout 3 a few months prior to its release in 2008 so they could release a tiny indie game called Skyrim in 2011.
What about all the critics and players alike who claim to have had a great time with the game? What about that? You can go back to any of the Infamous threads, and I guarantee you will find more people who enjoyed the game and had fun with it, than people who outright disliked the game. Don't try to make the game out to be poorly received, because it's not. If you don't like it, fine, but the generalization is silly, and once again, you can't make the parallel between polygon counts and game play design to bolster your argument.

Yeah, sorry but I can't tell where all those polys went compared to those below.

Apparently this is what the count are for various David Cage games:

playstation-4-reveal-conference-8.jpg

^That's really impressive. I can't remember any sharp edges on the Heavy Rain girl's body, but MGS4's Naomi sure had some polygon edges on her cleavage. Yes, these are the things I remember.

Endo Punk

Whether you enjoy the content that is there or not is not my point nor was it ever. I clearly illustrated that more could have been done with the resources they were given but they didn't. You have amazing graphics, little variety. The industry has told me that with similar resources, I can have both good graphics and good variety. So guess which I would opt for for the same asking price?

I'd argue that mutliple powers and how you handle every combat situation is the variety. Defintely one the better launch window games but it certainly has missed opportunites in regards to side missions,

Yeah, sorry but I can't tell where all those polys went compared to those below.

^That's really impressive. I can't remember any sharp edges on the Heavy Rain girl's body, but MGS4's Naomi sure had some polygon edges on her cleavage. Yes, these are the things I remember.

Polys only tell half the story. There are textures, shaders, lighting, and overall art direction that layer on top of the mesh to make a character. Not just a120k poly mesh.

GameSeeker

Beauty is the Eye of the Beholder.

For this beholder, Infamous:SS has set a new benchmark for graphics technology for next gen consoles.

Ryse and KZ:SF set the bar for the launch games. Each had excellent graphics technology: Ryse was better in some areas, KZ:SF in others. With Infamous: SS, Sucker Punch has surpassed both.

I've been very impressed with:
1) The particle system - the particle effects put all other games to shame
2) AA Solution - the best AA solution I've seen to date, running at full 1080p and a >30fps frame rate
3) Lighting Model - the switch to a physically based HDR shading model really pays off, as Seattle looks outstanding during the full morning/afternoon/evening/night time cycle. The sunshine vs. cloudy/rainy look is captured extremely well.
4) Facial/Body Performance Capture - it's up there with the best done to date
5) Open world, huge draw distances, no fog

I went back and replayed part of Infamous and Infamous 2, just to refresh my memory of how they looked/played. Sucker Punch made a large leap from Infamous to Infamous 2 and and has made an even bigger leap with Infamous: SS. I'm already looking forward to seeing what SP can do with Infamous:SS2, which should push the boundaries of graphics tech even further.

I didn't really think much of the Character's in infamous, beyond Delsin all of their faces were awful and when they raised their arms it looked like they had wingsuits on. Even the main villain was awful and looked like she had a facial from the same Spa that Captain Shepherd used.

300px-Augustine.PNG

delsin.jpg

Beyond's were fantastic even without as many polygons

You picked literally the worst pictures for both characters.

Seems like Delsin had the sharpest textures on his face compared to everyone else. It was a big contrast when he was in a scene with other characters.

Lucent

Interesting... Just 10k behind Bayonetta's model for Bayo 2.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1699978&postcount=1174

I just see it says "over 100,000 polys" or whatever for Bayonetta. And it says Delsin is like 120k here. So am I missing something?

Plus Bayonetta is sort of set up like DMC. It's not open world or anything, so I'm sure they could fit in better character models and stuff. The Wii U reminds me of the Gamecube: In the hands of the right devs, some amazing visuals can be made.

OmahaG8

You are projecting far too many words into my mouth.

Whether you enjoy the content that is there or not is not my point nor was it ever. I clearly illustrated that more could have been done with the resources they were given but they didn't. You have amazing graphics, little variety. The industry has told me that with similar resources, I can have both good graphics and good variety. So guess which I would opt for for the same asking price? I will just leave my position at that.

I feel like you care a bit too much about the outcome here.

Not really you can make the claim doesn't change what is going on. You're coming up with garbage to justify an opinion. Crytek isn't made of money which is why they are with MS so you can get rid of that notion you spouted about them. If they had the resources they wanted I doubt they'd be on console. What you said about crytek does apply to sucker punch.

Both teams did amazing things and one them did it on the lesser system of the generation.

if you think sucker punch have the resources or money crytek got to made ryse? MEGALOL

To point out that it is easy segment a lot resources to one aspect of the game that many don't only care about at the expense of what is also important, namely gameplay and, in a game like this, immersion. Better to elaborate that point than shit thread with a drive by "lol who cares".

Care to elaborate? Or are you upset because I hold a position that differs from your own? I ask because it is quite obvious that the distinctive tone we take in our posts shows who is capable of civil discourse that goes beyond "lol", "pwned" and "this thread makes my head hurt, lol".

because you are just trolling the thread..

t_wilson01

This much common sense is difficult to find now days.

By contrast, Bethesda stopped development of Fallout 3 a few months prior to its release in 2008 so they could release a tiny indie game called Skyrim in 2011. Bethesda, by the way, had only roughly 20 or so more people on their team for Skyrim than Sucker Punch does now.
It's true that Bethesda generate huge amounts of play content for their games. However, it's also true that their titles are extremely buggy, have middling graphics, and often rely on overwhelming with quantity rather than ensuring consistent quality of that content.

It's perfectly fine if you prefer that approach, but that only makes other methods different, not objectively bad. Your comparison quite literally means nothing to people with variant tastes.

MrDenny

I didn't really think much of the Character's in infamous, beyond Delsin all of their faces were awful and when they raised their arms it looked like they had wingsuits on. Even the main villain was awful and looked like she had a facial from the same Spa that Captain Shepherd used.

300px-Augustine.PNG

delsin.jpg

Beyond's were fantastic even without as many polygons
Just started the game and was kinda surprised the quality difference between her model and Delsin's.
Her model quality reminded me of uncharted 3's katherine marlow
Uncharted-3-Katherine-Marlowe-Screenshot-2.jpg

JesseDeya

Banned
By contrast, Bethesda stopped development of Fallout 3 a few months prior to its release in 2008 so they could release a tiny indie game called Skyrim in 2011. Bethesda, by the way, had only roughly 20 or so more people on their team for Skyrim than Sucker Punch does now.
It's true that Bethesda generate huge amounts of play content for their games. However, it's also true that their titles are extremely buggy, have middling graphics, and often rely on overwhelming with quantity rather than ensuring consistent quality of that content.

It's perfectly fine if you prefer that approach, but that only makes other methods different, not objectively bad. Your comparison quite literally means nothing to people with variant tastes.

Couldn't agree more.

Oblivion - hugely addictive, but so big I didn't finish.
Skyrim - hugely addictive, but so big I didn't finish.
Fallout 3 - hugely addictive, but so big I didn't finish.
Unsatisfied despite getting more hours/dollar.

Infamous 1/2/SS. Hugely addictive. Finished them all. Got all collectables/power-ups etc.
Very satisfied.

You could even say SS was shallower than Inf 1/2 because it basically handed everything to you on the map - but for me that just made the story less frustrating to play than games that make you search for hours just to prolong 'play time'.

Perhaps I'm more time poor than others, but I'll take a shorter, prettier, polished game like SS over a sprawling 'ok looking' buggy 300hour game any day.

Top Bottom