• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Dragon

Banned
what time does the digital version go up on PSN for retail games normally? midnight pst?

Not really no. They've had preloads on PS3 for Europe (and in some cases like The Last of Us) in the US. This is the first I've heard about preloads for US PSN on PS4, unless I'm wrong. It's a Friday release so it's even weirder.

ViciousDS

Banned
Just finished 100% on normal, was definitely one of the most amazing games I have ever played and was the first one where I truly felt a connection with the main character in an infamous game. All in all standard infamous length about 15 hours with all collectables on first play through. Due to the sites and scenery however I could spend hours was just wandering the city looking for screenshot material it's just that beautiful. The city does feel alive and does respond according to your actions very well.

viveks86

I'm 33% through on expert for my evil playthrough and it's unbelievably easy to get get karma bombs relative to good.

Oh! Hmmm… That's a slight bummer. I really wanted them to force me to experience the game differently. Now I'd need to consciously do it myself…

Not really no. They've had preloads on PS3 for Europe (and in some cases like The Last of Us) in the US. This is the first I've heard about preloads for US PSN on PS4, unless I'm wrong. It's a Friday release so it's even weirder.
So will the digital version be up by midnight PST? We don't know?

S¡mon

Banned
I'm still not sure how I'll play this game (good or evil) when I get the game this coming week. You know, I'd like to think I'm a pretty good person, but if I choose good, than I'm not really allowed to kill innocent people.

Can someone else create and manage the review thread? I'll link it in the OT. I won't be able to update it since I'll be at work, and as soon as I get home I'll be playing the game because it'll be Friday here :p

Quick side note, thank you for your OT comments! I wanted to try something different than the regular OT informative style, since most people here will already know a lot about upcoming releases. There's no need to tell people here that Infamous is an open world action-adventure game, so I've kept the game details brief and specific.

A few people have asked me about the fonts, so here they are:
- The main title (GAF) is Prime
- The headlines used to be Gotham (in the Path of Exile OT), but I used Nexa in the Infamous OT
- The subtitles are Kelson Sans
- The font used for quotes is Aero Matic
- The main font for text and paragraphs is Helvetica.

- For "GAF-Life" magazine, the title is Cabin
- The main font used is Lato. It's squashed to 80% vertical in the titles.
- There is also some Myriad Pro in there from when I forgot to change fonts lol

All of the linked fonts are free to download.

I use Paint Shop Pro 7 for most image editing, it's ancient software but is also super fast. Illustrator is used to build the magazine and Photoshop is used for things I can't do in PSP7 (like the magazine halftone filter), as well as rendering the Illustrator file into a raster image.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Oh! Hmmm… That's a slight bummer. I really wanted them to force me to experience the game differently. Now I'd need to consciously do it myself…

But it is very different. The lack of restraint and constant karma bombing is a blast. You can wipe out so many people so fast. Your karma bombs only take
7 consecutive
kills to recharge.

viveks86

Just finished 100% on normal, was definitely one of the most amazing games I have ever played and was the first one where I truly felt a connection with the main character in an infamous game. All in all standard infamous length about 15 hours with all collectables on first play through. Due to the sites and scenery however I could spend hours was just wandering the city looking for screenshot material it's just that beautiful. The city does feel alive and does respond according to your actions very well.

Whoa! Thanks for the impressions. I was expecting a solid game, but not something that would make me feel that way. Hype increasing to 110%.

S¡mon;104634288 said:
I'm still not sure how I'll play this game (good or evil) when I get the game this coming week. You know, I'd like to think I'm a pretty good person, but if I choose good, than I'm not really allowed to kill innocent people.

If its anything like past infamous games you can kill enemies (without executing surrendered/incapacitated ones) and avoid too much collateral damage to civilians and be fine as long as you keep making the good karma choices and doing the good karma missions.

viveks86

But it is very different. The lack of restraint and constant karma bombing is a blast. You can wipe out so many people so fast. Your karma bombs only take
7 consecutive
kills to recharge.

Yay! Thanks! I guess I'm going to play both sides on expert then. Karma bombs on good are going to be tough!

Ellite25

I was gonna hold off buying this because I just got DS2 and Titanfall but dammit now I don't know if I can. Well probably buy this day one and play through on spring break, especially since I have kept myself in the dark once people started getting the game and I want to keep things from getting spoiled.

Hatchtag

Banned
Not really a spoilerish question, and I don't want to sound negative, but is it easy to get really burnt out on this game?
I liked inFamous 1 and 2, but with both of them I quit playing for large periods of time because I just got so burnt out on them.

jeanRicK

Well ... I've been convinced lol

FfKMm6a.png

Really hoping that PSN stands up to all the pressure come the 21st

erawsd

Its goingto varied person to person.

We had others say 14.

Yeah but 10 to 19 is a huge difference, especially since both did 100% of the game's activities. Its nearly double, which is why I was curious if he spent a lot of time just aimlessly wondering the city.

viveks86

It's really on another level compared to the other Infamous games, in my opinion.

Do you think reviewers will feel the same? Or is this going to be another Gaf vs Press dichotomy? I'm definitely curious to see how it pans out and how that affects mainstream perception.

Defect

I was going to wait a few years before I got a Ps4 since I already have a Pc, Xbone, and WiiU. I was watching some trailers for this game today and it peaked my interest. I went out to Best Buy earlier to pick up a 3DS and I saw a sign that said there is a limited supply of PS4's so I caved and got one.

ViciousDS

Banned
It's really on another level compared to the other Infamous games, in my opinion.

It is, I got bored with 1 and 2 due to the way power management and stuff was handled. They honestly couldn't have done it any better. But this game I was just glued to my screen for getting a the collectables and the way some activities are done is the best use of the DS4 or even movement of a controller( you'll see) I have seen in a long time.

I wi handle my evil run through for another time but my little brother wants to borrow the game lol

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Do you think reviewers will feel the same? Or is this going to be another Gaf vs Press dichotomy? I'm definitely curious to see how it pans out and how that affects mainstream perception.

I'd hope so. Everything in the game has been improved on, except for repetitive side missions.

£40 at Tesco (or £50 Beanie Edition) with code TDX-PR4N seems to be the best price around.

If you've already used a £10 off £50 new customer code before, just create another account using a different email address to use the code.

Also, it's worth noting that they charge on order placement and you'll most likely get the game on Friday instead of a day or two early like you might from other places, just in case that affects your purchasing decision.

I'm trying to order it right now, and it says that delivery is on or before the 25th. Is it realistic to expect it on release day? If not, then there is no way i'm gonna wait 4 more days.

Vitter.

Hypeeeeeeeeee

I'd hope so. Everything in the game has been improved on, except for repetitive side missions.
Great to hear. I've always kind of liked the side missions in this series. While they're somewhat repetitive, they're also pretty short and compact.

Been avoiding this thread until now ... Hype rising.

SilentFlyer

I was going to wait a few years before I got a Ps4 since I already have a Pc, Xbone, and WiiU. I was watching some trailers for this game today and it peaked my interest. I went out to Best Buy earlier to pick up a 3DS and I saw a sign that said there is a limited supply of PS4's so I caved and got one.

lol. Could ... not ... resist!

OneUh8

smart decision :)

Yeah but 10 to 19 is a huge difference, especially since both did 100% of the game's activities. Its nearly double, which is why I was curious if he spent a lot of time just aimlessly wondering the city.

Well I was wandering at points, but not that much. It surprised me when people said they could 100% it in 10 hours. Maybe I'm just slow, but there is a shit ton to do.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Well I was wandering at points, but not that much. It surprised me when people said they could 100% it in 10 hours. Maybe I'm just slow, but there is a shit ton to do.

The story with a bit of side missions took me about 8-9 hours. There's no way I'm going to 100% it in 10 lol.

ViciousDS

Banned
I agree with this, I was rushing from side quest to side quest and did the story and all that in 15 hours with some minor screenshot taking

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Your times sound right in line with my usual times for one of these games so it sounds right to me.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
The story with a bit of side missions took me about 8-9 hours. There's no way I'm going to 100% it in 10 lol.

I dunno, I probably should have played on expert, since I died only a few times on bosses. I also cleared
both islands
before starting the story missions too,
for each island
. But it couldn't have taken that much more than 10 hours to 100% it.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I dunno, I probably should have played on expert, since I died only a few times on bosses. I also cleared
both islands
before starting the story missions too,
for each island
. But it couldn't have taken that much more than 10 hours to 100% it.

I'm on normal, saving expert for my evil playthrough. I'm probably just slow. I didn't really die much at all.

Can we expect the game to be there friday 12am? never preordered anything digital on consoles.

honestly don't know. i'm so used to tuesday update. game COULD be ready on tuesday and pushed after midnight. but it's sony. nothing is ever on time lol. wouldnt be surprised if we get a last minute maintenance on thursday.

viveks86

If you did 19, I'm pretty sure StarStuff (or was it Words?) would exceed you. One of them spent 5 hours mucking about with smoke alone!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've always done Good/Normal first playthrough. Kinda wanna change it up though I'm almost certain I won't, heh.

It's really hard for me to go evil in these games. I always feel so uncomfortable when I start to play bad. I don't think I've ever actually finished 2 evil because of it. I like being a good guy.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
It's really hard for me to go evil in these games. I always feel so uncomfortable when I start to play bad. I don't think I've ever actually finished 2 evil because of it. I like being a good guy.

I'm the same way. I started Infamous 2 as evil, and about halfway I felt bad haha. I had to switch to good.

K' Dash

honestly don't know. i'm so used to tuesday update. game COULD be ready on tuesday and pushed after midnight. but it's sony. nothing is ever on time lol. wouldnt be surprised if we get a last minute maintenance on thursday.

Okay, this sucks...I wonder if I'll be able to play some of it come next weekend, with my shitty internet speed and what you just said... I don't think so :(

KorrZ

I'm the same way. I started Infamous 2 as evil, and about halfway I felt bad haha. I had to switch to good.

I played Infamous 1 entirely evil right up until (Infamous 1)
Trish died
and then I converted all the way to good. Felt like a natural evolution!

I intend to play this game fully evil unless something similar happens to "redeem" my character lol.

Top Bottom