• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward Bailout Watch

Raide

While I am happy for the Respawn people, I do feel a little sad that IW is going to crumble. Sees a little odd for a name such as IW to be vanishing in this day and age. Like the Videogame Dodo.

Mooreberg

oracrest said:
Westwood Studios. EA blunder.

Never forget!

Did all of those guys end up at a competing publisher? This is weird in the sense that EA is going to have almost the same damn development team just under a different name.

Raide said:
While I am happy for the Respawn people, I do feel a little sad that IW is going to crumble. Sees a little odd for a name such as IW to be vanishing in this day and age. Like the Videogame Dodo.

I wonder where the people that stayed end up going. Over to Treyarch? Is that sledge hammer team already in place to do installments every other year?

Mileena

Banned
Raide said:
Blame Activision

Truespeed

Xamdou said:
It's good to see former Infinity Ward leads filling in the gaps that is rightfully theirs in the Respawn slots. Whatever game Respawn makes, the ads will headline: "From the creators of the Call of Duty Series." That pitch is enough to sell millions of copies. After this debacle I am glad they went to EA. EA be rocking Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Left 4 dead and the Battlefield series! and now w/e games Respawn makes! :D

I agree. EA should milk their COD pedigree for all it's worth. Additionally, I would camp the Respawn studio right beside their old studio.

Raide

Truespeed said:
I agree. EA should milk their COD pedigree for all it's worth. Additionally, I would camp the Respawn studio right beside their old studio.

I expect them to do the same as DICE, where they take little jabs at CoD when they get the chance. If nothing, the marketing and propaganda will be awesome. :lol

oracrest

Mooreberg said:
Did all of those guys end up at a competing publisher? This is weird in the sense that EA is going to have almost the same damn development team just under a different name.

I am not sure of the details, but a huge amount of employess left the day that EA acquired the company. Here's what wikipedia says:

"In August 1998, Westwood was acquired by Electronic Arts for $122.5 million in cash. At the time, Westwood had 5% to 6% of the PC game market.[1] In response to EA's buyout, many long-time Westwood employees quit and left Westwood Studios. Because of this and EA's newly imposed demands, games being developed by Westwood Studios at the time were rushed and left unfinished upon their release, namely Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun.[2] All the subsequent games developed by Westwood were also heavily subjected to increased control by Electronic Arts, with some of them being cancelled."

The good thing about EA/Respawn is that (hopefully) it will be just a publishing deal, and not a company acquisition. Hopefully they learned their lesson. They had a great team that made a great Medal of Honor, who broke away to make the Call of Duty series, then the company that owned them at the time pulled the same "we think we know what is best in regards to how you make your games" bullshit that probably made them leave EA in the first place. If publishers don't know enough to just let these guys be, and allow them to make the games they have proven they are experts at making, then someone has their head up their a$$.

oracrest said:
I am not sure of the details, but a huge amount of employess left the day that EA acquired the company. Here's what wikipedia says:

"In August 1998, Westwood was acquired by Electronic Arts for $122.5 million in cash. At the time, Westwood had 5% to 6% of the PC game market.[1] In response to EA's buyout, many long-time Westwood employees quit and left Westwood Studios. Because of this and EA's newly imposed demands, games being developed by Westwood Studios at the time were rushed and left unfinished upon their release, namely Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun.[2] All the subsequent games developed by Westwood were also heavily subjected to increased control by Electronic Arts, with some of them being cancelled."

The good thing about EA/Respawn is that (hopefully) it will be just a publishing deal, and not a company acquisition. Hopefully they learned their lesson. They had a great team that made a great Medal of Honor, who broke away to make the Call of Duty series, then the company that owned them at the time pulled the same "we think we know what is best in regards to how you make your games" bullshit that probably made them leave EA in the first place. If publishers don't know enough to just let these guys be, and allow them to make the games they have proven they are experts at making, then someone has their head up their a$$.

well that seems to be the case with repawn's deal with ea. ea just has publishing rights and no control over respawn. similar deal with valve and ea and just recent deal bungie made with activision.

i'm just curious what game they are brainstorming right now. what i would give to sit in that conference room with those guys.

i think though its going to be some type of shooter. its what they do best. hopefully something 3rd person this time around. it's definatly giong to be ground breaking and forward.. MoA:AA - COD - MW - ?? i can see them doing a splinter cell-ish type of game.. except it going to be in par with something we never seen before and with a lot of "holy shit" moments(part of IW job discription).

beat

macfoshizzle said:
well that seems to be the case with repawn's deal with ea. ea just has publishing rights and no control over respawn. similar deal with valve and ea and just recent deal bungie made with activision.
There may be no explicit control, but practically speaking the publisher who's paying the bills usually gets quite a bit of say.

oracrest

beat said:
There may be no explicit control, but practically speaking the publisher who's paying the bills usually gets quite a bit of say.

It all depends on what's written in the contract.

neoism

magnificent83 said:
Not yet, they don't, not yet :D
:lol :lol :lol Bungie's not stupid, they OWN their IP IW didn't. So unless Activation wants another lawsuit, they better not f with Bungle.
I'm all for Respawn and will probably buy their first game... IW doesn't exist, and neither does COD for all I'm concerned. MW2 is my last IW game.

neoism said:
:lol :lol :lol Bungie's not stupid, they OWN their IP IW didn't. So unless Activation wants another lawsuit, they better not f with Bungle.
I'm all for Respawn and will probably buy their first game... IW doesn't exist, and neither does COD for all I'm concerned. MW2 is my last IW game.

I'm disappointed I even bought MW2. The mess that is MW2 showed me that IW needed a reboot anyway so this is good for them. The COD series peaked with COD4.

Loxley

Oh god of course he's calling them friends. Dude, no one's buying it. I love it when he pulls the "They made me do it! Really!" bullshit. Yeah, he's friends with West & Zampella in the same way that the nerdy unpopular kid is "friends" with the cool kids because they stopped making fun of him after middle school.

Keep diggin' that hole Kotick.

nskinnear said:
Kotick expects even more IW staffers to leave soon:

But wait, this is the best part:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1088238p1.html

Heh.

Kotick : ready to milk CoD to the bone?
V&J : no.. we want to make other games.
kotick : are you crazy? no!
V&J : you said no to modern warfare but look at it now
kotick : you will do another CoD!
V&J : no i we won't do another CoD game
kotick : ok then you're fired

kodick "I personally consider the two of them friends, and their conduct was a compromise of our friendship, which was equally disappointing," he added. "Once we began to understand what had occurred, there was no grey area. There was nothing to allow us to retain their services as talented as they might have been."

Quagm1r3

Daaaang somehow I missed this megaton. No IW COD?! I have to live with shitty CODs made by Treyarch?! *slits wrists*

Bigfoot

Haven't really been following anything, but just curious, how legal is all of this? Imagine if all companies did the following:

1) Become successful
2) Sell company to a large company
3) Have everyone leave to form new company
4) Pocket money made from selling and all as you lose is the company name

No companies would be purchased if this was allowed. I guess this is why there is all the lawsuits going on...

Aselith

Porthos said:
Haven't really been following anything, but just curious, how legal is all of this? Imagine if all companies did the following:

1) Become successful
2) Sell company to a large company
3) Have everyone leave to form new company
4) Pocket money made from selling and all as you lose is the company name

No companies would be purchased if this was allowed. I guess this is why there is all the lawsuits going on...

How legal is all of what? IW was with Activision for like 10 years. That's hardly a sell and bail. Plus, Activision fired West and Zampella so they didn't exactly leave voluntarily.

And how legal is it for individuals to quit their job? Really?

TheOddOne

Rumor: Call of Duty Has Another New Developer In Raven
With close to half of the team at Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 developer Infinity Ward bailing on the troubled developer, publisher Activision appears to have found a new source for Call of Duty development.

Raven Software, the developer of sci-fi shooters Wolfenstein and the recently completed Singularity, has been pulled off its current projects and may be the latest studio to pick up the Call of Duty slack, according to a source close to the studio. Kotaku was told that the developer has had its next game, one based on the James Bond franchise—to which Activision holds the rights—put on hold.

Raven's other future game, one based on the X-Men franchise and a follow-up to its work on X-Men: Origins Wolverine, is said to have been put on the backburner as well.

The team is said to now be on the path to Call of Duty development, with Activision allegedly "flipping out" about the current Infinity Ward situation. Activision execs said earlier this month that the IW team is working on another Call of Duty game in addition to further map pack development.

The next Call of Duty title, Call of Duty: Black Ops, is currently in development at World At War developer Treyarch, due for a November 9 release on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC and Wii. One more map pack is due for Modern Warfare 2, now dated for a June release.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I like Raven's games better than CoD games, but it isn't a huge loss or anything if true. Oh well.

"Raven's other future game, one based on the X-Men franchise and a follow-up to its work on X-Men: Origins Wolverine, is said to have been put on the backburner as well."

Fuck this noise.

Raven's FPS leave me cold but there work on X-Men: Origins Wolverine was top notch.

BobsRevenge

Neuromancer said:
I don't know. Wolfenstein was pretty bad. I really wanted to like it too.
The last one I played was Quake 4, which was decent. Their games before that were pretty good (some awesome). Singularity looks like it could go either way. Wolfenstein always looked kind of off, but I still intend to play it eventually. I plan on grabbing it at $10 when I can.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
yes, now COD is officially on its way to mediocrity and then oblivion. But it'd be funny if Raven given their roots take it to sci-fi territory :lol

BobsRevenge

subversus said:
yes, now COD is officially on its way to mediocrity and then oblivion. But it'd be funny if Raven given their roots take it to sci-fi territory :lol
I expect a Star Wars cross-over with Soldier of Fortune style gore.

I'd be more upset about this news if Raven was still making the Jedi Knight series. Still, they are a good dev, and I'm sure whatever they make will end up being pretty great.

Dyno

BobsRevenge said:
The last one I played was Quake 4, which was decent. Their games before that were pretty good (some awesome). Singularity looks like it could go either way. Wolfenstein always looked kind of off, but I still intend to play it eventually. I plan on grabbing it at $10 when I can.

Wolfenstein is a solid, B-rated shooter that does some neat things. The german city as a hub gets interesting and I had some unscripted battles going from place to place that were quite over the top. The weapons are decent to use and they upgrade nicely. It's a pretty standard corridor shooter though and the multiplayer was a big out-sourced disappointment.

burgerdog

Wow, IW(what's left of it), Raven, Sledgehammer, and Treyarch all developing CoD now? I wonder if Activision is shooting for 3 games in one year.

Cerberus

subversus said:

They might not be developing an actual COD game. 4 devs working on separate COD games would be overkill.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704663/Activision-Pulls-Raven-Software-Off-Bond-Game-Now-Designing-Call-Of-Duty-Maps.html

Klepek says Activision put Raven's other project on hold so they could make map packs for this year's COD game from Treyarch. Making DLC for a game not due for release until another six months from now...so lame.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Cerberus said:
They might not be developing an actual COD game. 4 devs working on separate COD games would be overkill.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704663/Activision-Pulls-Raven-Software-Off-Bond-Game-Now-Designing-Call-Of-Duty-Maps.html

Klepek says Activision put Raven's other project on hold so they could make map packs for this year's COD game from Treyarch. Making DLC for a game not due for release until another six months from now...so lame.

Why 4? Only two for FPS - Raven (merged with IW) and Treyarch.

subversus said:
Be more interesting then world war 2 that's for sure.

olore

So is this like when a bunch of people abandoned ship from 2012/MoH and formed IW/CoD? But now people leave IW and startsup Respawn/NextGenSoldierSimulator?

olore said:
So is this like when a bunch of people abandoned ship from 2012/MoH and formed IW/CoD? But now people leave IW and startsup Respawn/NextGenSoldierSimulator?
This is why many Eastern worldviews describe time as cyclical, and they're not entirely incorrect.

Cerberus

subversus said:
Why 4? Only two for FPS - Raven (merged with IW) and Treyarch.

I just think IW will start hiring people instead of merging or shutting down. Besides, even though Sledgehammer's game is probably a TPS, it's still a COD game. ;)

Raven might be making map packs now, but I could see Activision alternating between Treyarch/Raven COD games for one year and IW/Sledgehammer COD games the next year.

Loxley

Assuming this is true, Activision really has lost its fucking mind. Its actually funny how pathetic and desperate their decision making has been in the wake of firing West & Zampella. I'm normally the first person to tell doomsayers to calm down, but at this point the death of the Call of Duty franchise is pretty much cemented. They better be thanking whatever god they worship that they still have Blizzard to keep them afloat.

Patryn

burgerdog said:
Wow, IW(what's left of it), Raven, Sledgehammer, and Treyarch all developing CoD now? I wonder if Activision is shooting for 3 games in one year.

I'm guessing that if Raven really is involved, we'll see Activision dissolving IW in the near future and moving the talent (well, what's left, that is) to the other studios as needed.

Because, remember, that at this point it's pretty much just the grunts left at IW. Nearly all the people who made the MW games what they were are gone at this point.

Top Bottom