• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward Bailout Watch

Somewhat related, Treyarch is now an official COD team.

Treyarch Now a "100% Call of Duty Studio"
Studio that once made Spider-Man and sports games now solely committed to CoD franchise.

By Kris Pigna, 05/29/2010

Call of Duty: Black Ops

There was never much thought about whether there were more Call of Duty games in Treyarch's future after Black Ops, but it is a bit of a surprise to learn that's apparently all that now lies in Treyarch's future. Speaking to CVG, Treyarch studio head Mark Lamia said they've become solely dedicated to Activision's blockbuster FPS franchise.

"Treyarch is a 100 percent Call of Duty studio -- and it has been for a long time now, long before any of [the Infinity Ward] events occurred," Lamia said, immediately dispelling speculation this newly revealed exclusive focus may be a result of CoD creator Infinity Ward's gutting earlier this year. "We focused all of our efforts on creating the best Call of Duty game we possibly can and what that meant is not working on anything else.

"We are a multiple team studio and focusing on Call of Duty and Call of Duty gameplay meant focusing all of our teams on that," Lamia continued. One result of this has been the formation of a dedicated multiplayer team inside Treyarch, which is something the studio didn't have for their past Call of Duty games, Call of Duty 3 and Call of Duty: World at War.

Before being assigned to the CoD franchise, Treyarch had created games in a number of varied franchises, including Spider-Man titles, a few sports games, and even recently the game adaptation of Quantum of Solace. But depending on just how long this exclusive focus lasts, it looks like Quantum of Solace is the last non-CoD title we'll have seen Treyarch make for quite some time.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Oh snap. Does that mean that fourzerotwo will now have to work with them? :lol

My bad. They are not THE official team but rather A official COD team. They will not be working on anything but COD however IW is still working on the franchise as well.

LovingSteam said:
My bad. They are not THE official team but rather A official COD team. They will not be working on anything but COD however IW is still working on the franchise as well.
Ahh, you're right.
For now.

terrdactycalsrock said:
so i think i saw some recent news that said treyarch was a COD only devolpment study so my question is what state is the exisiting IW in at this point?
Nobody knows. They might hire new people, they might be merged with someone else(like Raven) or they may just be disbanded. I hope they find good new talent to continue making games.

AwesomeSyrup said:
Nobody knows. They might hire new people, they might be merged with someone else(like Raven) or they may just be disbanded. I hope they find good new talent to continue making games.

yeah yeah when things like this happen its diffcult for fans because on one side you dont want to support activision but at the same time you enjoy the series and its unfair to hate on the new devs for what happended with the publishing side of the company

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
AwesomeSyrup said:

Being absorbed into Treyarch is my guess. I can't see Raven being around for much longer.

Top Bottom