• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward Bailout Watch

kinoki said:
My guess: Activision will merge Treyarch and whatever's left of Infinity Ward and rename both teams Infinity Ward. And then all Call of Duty games will be from Infinity Ward.

: 0, Kotick would love your ideas.

flkk

Neo Member
Saw this on Kotaku

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRU5f-081LE&feature=player_embedded#!

It's the MW2 credits with the names of those that left crossed out.

Akia

Jeff Brown quote:

Kotaku said:
Earlier today, Activision put out a press release boasting of the success of Modern Warfare 2's downloadable map pack, and how this caused the company to raise its overall fiscal outlook for the quarter. Rival Electronic Arts, now revealed to be backers of the former Infinity Ward head's new studio, just couldn't let it go by without comment.

"This is kind of like announcing: The race horse I shot last month has won the Triple Crown!", EA director of corporate communications Jeff Brown
told us.

Michael Pachter chimes in:

“We think that recent Activision share weakness has been compounded by additional departures at Infinity Ward which accelerated this week, and we expect another 10 – 20 employees to depart over the next few months,” he said.

“In our view, the company will likely replace the departed employees with skilled developers, and while increased competition may impact sales of future versions of Modern Warfare, we expect the company to put out a competitive product

Loxley

Take this with a grain of salt, but Kotaku just posted this:

The Studio Behind Modern Warfare Is "Dead," Insider Says

The mood at Infinity Ward, the studio behind 2009's biggest game, is terrible and corporate parent Activision is unsure how to fix it, a source close to the development studio tells Kotaku. Infinity Ward, they said, "will continue to crumble."

The source is privy to the goings on in Infinity Ward this week, an eventful period since Monday's news that Jason West and Vince Zampella, the former chiefs of Infinity Ward who were fired by Activision in early March, were starting a new company, Respawn Entertainment.

Top Infinity Ward developers started leaving the studio last week and have continued to since the Respawn news, costing the under-100-person operation more than a dozen development employees.

"They're scared shitless," the source said of Activision management. "They never saw this coming. They can't believe what's going on. At first they gave us some bullshit about moving up payments of all the money they owe us to sooner increments. That was when [designer] Todd [Alderman] and [engineer] Frank [Gigliotti] left. But with the announcement of Respawn and all the people leaving, they just got there heads in their hands."

Activision had not responded to a request for comment regarding the state of Infinity Ward.

While Activision's counterclaim against the fired West and Zampella accuse the men of trying to undermine both Activision and the financial well-being of the Infinity Ward developers who worked under them, the Infinity Ward insider painted the former bosses in a positive light, blaming Activision for withholding Modern Warfare 2 payments. "They fired the two most amazing leaders we've ever seen, and then shafted us all out of a lot of money that was promised to us...there is nothing they can do to gain our trust or respect. And I'm pretty sure they know it now."

The pace of departures has slowed slightly, with no news in the past 48 hours of anyone else leaving Infinity Ward. Our source says that Activision is bringing in people from other studios to fill in gaps created by the departures, in the hopes to move ahead with the expected Modern Warfare 3. That won't work, our source said: "IW as you know it is dead...and it will continue to crumble. There are a lot more veterans who are definitely going to leave."

flkk said:
Saw this on Kotaku

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRU5f-081LE&feature=player_embedded#!

It's the MW2 credits with the names of those that left crossed out.

There is no deeper meaning to this - I just needed to make it.

feedkoticksouls.gif

Let the mad man laugh, lest he cry.

oracrest

Loxley said:
Kotaku post

Makes a lot of sense. From interviews before the meltdown, I always got the impression that morale at IW was strong, they were proud of what they were working on, and they had the strength of the team, and team morale going for them.

Now, the company I imagine has been totally demoralized with Activision doing the age old corporate bullshit they did. How could those working conditions possibly ever get to where they were? Even if they fill the positions with great talent, there will always be big brother looking over your shoulder, trying to maximize profits, at the expense of innovation and long term stability. Many people that work in the industry do it out of a love for the medium, not because of money rolling in exclusively (which is why we see many publishers take advantage of that passionate good nature. see ea spouse, etc...)

It's just a real shame. Another example of a big publisher thinking it knows what it's doing, and royally screwing the pooch, like what happened at Westwood Studios.

I trust that Respawn will be making some really cool, progressive games down the road while their former namesake slowly dies.... :(

But remember, Kotick believes that creative talent should be given room to breathe!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
IW made Activision so much money and thats the treatment they get in return ? Activision = evil.....

Zen

Banned
-COOLIO- said:

Vivendi only bought Activision because of Blizzard money, and they treated Blizzard the same way that Activision does. Without Blizzard Vivendi would have been gone long ago, and they know that. It's exactly why they out Activision 'in charge' while retaining majority shares.

Any questions? :lol

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I personally was thinking that Kotick is clever but apparently he isn't. I think he saw that coming, but wasn't able to fight his fear of telling shareholders that MW3 isn't in works because IW wants to try new IP and doesn't let anybody develop MW3.

subversus said:
I personally was thinking that Kotick is clever but apparently he isn't. I think he saw that coming, but wasn't able to fight his fear of telling shareholders that MW3 isn't in works because IW wants to try new IP and doesn't let anybody develop MW3.
that's a stupid fear, IW just gave you a billion dollar selling game, let them make the new ip. Instead, they lost their second best developers because of a contract they willingly signed/proposed to the IW founders

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I haven't been following this story that closely but it is pretty shocking to see this happen to one of the biggest and most successful developers of this gen.
I'm not really the type to boycott a publisher but I can't help but resent Activision for this and shutting down other studios like Neversoft even though they helped them get where they are.
Luckily I don't own or plan on owning any Activision games in the future so I won't have the dilemma of buying or not buying.

magnificent83 said:
that's a stupid fear, IW just gave you a billion dollar selling game, let them make the new ip. Instead, they lost their second best developers because of a contract they willingly signed/proposed to the IW founders

A CEO will take that and tell his shareholders that the next installment is in the works by the same people. Kinda how movie studios talk about franchise movies.

It's all about the money for the corporations shareholders VS creative freedom for the talented developers. I'm just surprised this blew up the way it did.

Firestorm

Oh wow. I knew four design leads left but I didn't realize that was 100% of the design leads on MW2. Good luck with that Activision :lol

Ashes

Banned
So that's like >ten percent of the workforce gone. And a lot of important players in that regard... and more to go soon...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It doesn't necessarily matter tho, in the sense that there is no guarantee that the next CoD will be worst. It's just more likely, but that's all. The big problem in all of this is losing a potential new IP which you inevitably need at some point, and strengthening the competition by letting go a bunch of talented people.

Najaf

From Kotaku:

"They're scared shitless," the source said of Activision management. "They never saw this coming. They can't believe what's going on. At first they gave us some bullshit about moving up payments of all the money they owe us to sooner increments. That was when [designer] Todd [Alderman] and [engineer] Frank [Gigliotti] left. But with the announcement of Respawn and all the people leaving, they just got there heads in their hands."

...Our source says that Activision is bringing in people from other studios to fill in gaps created by the departures, in the hopes to move ahead with the expected Modern Warfare 3. That won't work, our source said: "IW as you know it is dead...and it will continue to crumble. There are a lot more veterans who are definitely going to leave."

Ashes

Banned
guitar hero going VVVV
CoD MW going VVVV
All they need is wow to head south....
They'll still rake huge amounts of money... but what other games is on those levels? I suppose COD:WAW but still...

Mama Robotnik said:
The thought of Kotick "scared shitless" will keep me warm throughout the winter.

xfyu4l.jpg

Hey Kotick. You listening? I'm not buying any more Call of Duty games!

If you read the MW2 thread you'll realize this is a big deal for me

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Najaf said:

there's an update to the story:

Update: While we've not heard from Activision we have heard from another Infinity Ward insider who has a more positive take on the studio's future: "First off, yes, it is a shitty situation, but there are two kinds of people left: ones that are sticking it out for the money, and others who want to make something work. We are not dead, we definitely lost original team members, but not all of the talent. When you talk about the people who left, they are the best in the business, but equally everyone at Infinity Ward deserves that same credential. We are here for the long haul of keeping the Modern Warfare name alive, but as your article clearly shows, certain people are still pissed about it. We just had this discussion in our Monday meeting, 'We still have the talent that will get us to where we need to go, and now is the time to find our new leaders.'"

anonymous IW person said:
Update: While we've not heard from Activision we have heard from another Infinity Ward insider who has a more positive take on the studio's future: "First off, yes, it is a shitty situation, but there are two kinds of people left: ones that are sticking it out for the money, and others who want to make something work. We are not dead, we definitely lost original team members, but not all of the talent. When you talk about the people who left, they are the best in the business, but equally everyone at Infinity Ward deserves that same credential. We are here for the long haul of keeping the Modern Warfare name alive, but as your article clearly shows, certain people are still pissed about it. We just had this discussion in our Monday meeting, 'We still have the talent that will get us to where we need to go, and now is the time to find our new leaders.'"

Honestly, they should merge with Treyarch. Treyarch made some great strides with W@W, and there is clearly some talent there. If they want Call of Duty to continue being good, the best talent from both studios should start working together. But I'm still convinced that MW2 will be the last CoD worth buying.

MMaRsu

Banned
Activision sucks so much ass, thank god I don't play WoW anymore so I don't have to give any cash to them.

I hope Respawn Studios make such a great game, that it puts Activision to shame. And please sign with EA just to spite them.

Najaf

MMaRsu said:
Activision sucks so much ass, thank god I don't play WoW anymore so I don't have to give any cash to them.

I hope Respawn Studios make such a great game, that it puts Activision to shame. And please sign with EA just to spite them.

Respawn Entertainment is officially with EA partners now. EA has exclusive publishing rights to their games.

Loxley

Najaf said:

Already posted (on this page, no less
by me ;)
)

Anyway, the "update" by the IW guy who's spinning this into something that isn't-so-bad, yeah...good luck convincing anyone that IW will go on unaltered or unaffected in any serious way by this. I'm calling bullshit. Too many important people in very important leadership positions have left the studio. Sure, there are plenty of talented people left at Infinity Ward (despite the fact that we can predict with a fair amount of confidence that more people will continue to leave IW over the next couple of months) but without direction, you're gambling way too much on brand recognition for a game to sell.

I don't consider IW dead, but it's definitely not the company it was two months ago. Not even close.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The media narrative is already written. I can already see the MW3 reviews. "It's just missing something!"

Akia

Y2Kev said:
The media narrative is already written. I can already see the MW3 reviews. "It's just missing something!"

You're right, people in the hardcore community have already taken sides. I think Activision shouldn't even bother publicizing to the hardcore reviewers. They should focus their marketing on the mainstream and use any left over marketing money acquiring bigger money vaults.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People aren't dumb. They'll sign on. Even if it's just for one game with IW and they have plans to leave. There are large sums of money and prestige involved. A studio like IW should have no problem staffing up even if the disembodied head of Kotick actually floated above their office building.

Akia

Yeah, there are plenty talented mercenary developers (like our bishoptl) who will apply to both Respawn and IW.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's funny tho how people were saying CoD was shit before any of this happened anyway, you'd think they would be happy that the team would change. Might even turn out that the game will be better!

Top Bottom