• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2 (PS4/XB1) announced, has (microtransaction?) gameplay changing lootcrates

How excited are you about gameplay changing loot crates (maybe w/ microtransactions)?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Damn really stinks about no pc version, it's like they don't want my money. Warner Bros don't give up on us.

I'd say the MKX sales on PC might of dampened any chances for a PC release. Though that in itself was factored into WB giving the porting duties to an incompetent 3rd party like High Voltage Software and MKX having all those tech problems people brought up. Though part of me also feels that WB will probably find a better 3rd party developer for porting a hypothetical PC version (would recommend QLOC for the job).

wasnt injustice 1 mobile version was really popular? I bet you WB noticed this and pushing similar idea into the console version too. People love collecting gear and outfits for their characters. And NRS/WB is banking just on that. It's the best way to milk casuals. Not that there is anything wrong with that. They are in it to make money and if people falls for this well that's on them i guess. Also I think there will be a f2p mobile version of this game too just like MKX and injustice 1.

KonradLaw

I'd say the MKX sales on PC might of dampened any chances for a PC release. Though that in itself was factored into WB giving the porting duties to an incompetent 3rd party like High Voltage Software and MKX having all those tech problems people brought up. Though part of me also feels that WB will probably find a better 3rd party developer for porting a hypothetical PC version (would recommend QLOC for the job).

It sold over 500K on PC. That should be enough to justify the cost of the port. And this was with how terrible the port was.

The Gear System uses RPG-like mechanics to reward you with loot drops every time you play the game. With each loot drop, you will earn character-specific gear to outfit and power up your roster – changing not only the look of each character, but your fight strategy and your personal approach to every match. As you gear up your characters, you’re building a roster of DC Super Heroes and Super-Villains that reflects your choices, and your preferences, which can be vastly different than your opponents. A few play sessions in, you can expect your Aquaman to look and play different than anyone else’s Aquaman you may come across.

Real talk, has loot and equipment ever panned out in a fighting game? I usually only ever remember stuff like that as some one off mode you play a few times then rarely touch again.

S1kkZ

Real talk, has loot and equipment ever panned out in a fighting game? I usually only ever remember stuff like that as some one off mode you play a few times then rarely touch again.

soul blade (psx) and street fighter alpha 3 (psx + dreamcast) had something like that, but it was only for certain modes (word tour mode in sfa3). ehrgeiz also.

it can work, if it is limited to a special single player only mode.

ReaperXL7

Soul Calibur started to get really into it
soul-calibur-v-character-creation-20.jpg

and it's one of my favorite fighting game franchises of all time. There was so much stuff to do in those games when you didn't feel like jumping online between all of the challenges/unlockables/ and equipment you could unlock for your created character.
If this works out the way I'm hoping it does for DC and Namco every announces SC6 I won't need another fighting game for a good long time. I like Ark System works games like Guilty gear and Blaz blue also but I'm garbage at them lol.

latest Tekken entries have had wild customization options, even items that grant new (useless and silly) moves for characters.

often in tournaments all customizations are not allowed though.

as for Injustice's systems, this seems they might go for tournament accounts where everything is unlocked and players have some minutes beforehand to select their gear. Kinda like MOBA's or World of Tanks or something.

I dont mind loot crates if it is just cosmetic stuff and extra characters and maps are free because of it. Like how rainbow 6 siege does it is perfect (allow a season pass to avoid the grind for new characters, perfect)

Plasma

Banned
The gear doesn't bother me that much as I'll only be playing the story mode. I can't say I like those character designs though the armour just looks excessive especially on the characters that shouldn't need it.

I just hope they expand on the story mode a bit more, one of the reasons I liked MK9 is that by the time you're done with that game you've played with pretty much all of the characters and have gotten a feel for the ones you like. With the first Injustice there were only 12 chapters and even then you play as Batman twice.

bman94

The gear doesn't bother me that much as I'll only be playing the story mode. I can't say I like those character designs though the armour just looks excessive especially on the characters that shouldn't need it.

I just hope they expand on the story mode a bit more, one of the reasons I liked MK9 is that by the time you're done with that game you've played with pretty much all of the characters and have gotten a feel for the ones you like. With the first Injustice there were only 12 chapters and even then you play as Batman twice.

God I hated this. Batman is my least favorite character to play as in Injustice and it was completely unfun to play those sections of the game. But I think the short amount of playable characters were because of plot. Since certain characters were just flat out gone in the alternate universe you couldn't play as them.

Santar

It would not surprise me if Netherrealm is not targeting the hardcore fighting community with this game. The loot and gear focus makes me think they're positioning Injsutice as the more single player and casual friendly series and maybe leaving Mortal Kombat for the hardcore fighting gamers.
Something to think about for the hardcore fighting game players who keep complaining about the gear and loot, the game is probably not meant for them.

I'm persoanlly excited for the chance to customize my own Superman, and hopefully lots of single player content. (I just pray that the game is not online only).

fernoca

In Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe you played both sides and each character too. Beating each side also unlocked the boss of the other (Shao Kahn and Darkseid).

Would be cool if they went back to that as it allowed to see both sides of the story. But not expecting it.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Friend of mine just made me realize that this trailer basically confirmed Ra's Al Ghul. I'm here for this game now.

It's not Ra's.

For one, Ra's Al Ghul doesn't traditionally have an American accent. He's from the Middle East.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure Bryan Cranston was referring to the literal fighting pit as seen in the trailer.
The whole speech he delivers is about the sense of reinvigoration that comes with fighting, hence the tagline featured in the marketing.

yencid

It's not Ra's.

For one, Ra's Al Ghul doesn't traditionally have an American accent. He's from the Middle East.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure Bryan Cranston was referring to the literal fighting pit as seen in the trailer.
The whole speech he delivers is about the sense of reinvigoration that comes with fighting, hence the tagline featured in the marketing.

Fighting pit you say? Warworld? Mongul?

No.

It's like one of the best ways to fuck up a serious competitive scene but I highly doubt they care about that.

Skab

Random thought: What if those rumblings about Spawn being a DLC character in MKX were actually about him being a guest in Injustice 2?

Kouichi

Random thought: What if those rumblings about Spawn being a DLC character in MKX were actually about him being a guest in Injustice 2?

You know, having guest characters like MKX, but from different comic book publishers would be a neat idea. I could totally see the TMNT get in with each of the Turtles' weaponry being different gear.

vg260

No, it might sound good on paper, but it's a pretty flawed concept in practice.

soul blade (psx) and street fighter alpha 3 (psx + dreamcast) had something like that, but it was only for certain modes (word tour mode in sfa3). ehrgeiz also.

it can work, if it is limited to a special single player only mode.

This is key.
No amount of "power up your character to make him/her your own" is going to trump people being frustrated and intimidated and eventually quitting when playing online. Any help they get is offset by those who already know what their doing using it to even further their advantage. It seems the people most excited for the idea are those who buy these for single payer, which is fine, but it could be toxic for multiplayer, especially if powerups are randomized loot and/or microtransactions.

This is key.
No amount of "power up your character to make him/her your own" is going to trump people being frustrated and intimidated and eventually quitting when playing online. Any help they get is offset by those who already know what their doing using it to even further their advantage.

exactly... and if you're the better player in a match- yet you lose to someone who had gear with some kind of armor/autoblock/autocombo whatever- you're going to feel cheated and equally as frustrated.

It's a very slippery slope and I don't trust NRS has the ability to keep these kinds of things balanced.

The lootcrate sounds like a terrible idea for a fighting game. If it was just cosmetic like in Killer Instinct than I'll be find with it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hear this.

giphy.gif

Figures you people would post a gif of Not Constantine. If they have John light up like a unimaginative, over-the-hill Tron cosplayer while chucking karate kicks into Superman's junk, I'm quitting DC forever. Or until Rucka is back on Wonder Woman and they bring back badass Batwoman. Whichever comes first!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man I can't wait to see a dayglo battle armor clad Constantine get into a fistfight with Blue Beetle.

a916

No.

It's like one of the best ways to fuck up a serious competitive scene but I highly doubt they care about that.

Why wouldn't the competitive scene just have stock characters with no customizations?

It would be the same as Smash turning off weapons and custom moves...

Ryce

Knowing Boon, there's a good chance that all three characters are in the game. I don't think he'd put up a poll where the least popular choice (Captain Cold) is the only one included. Maybe they'll even be revealed at E3. That would give us three heroes and three villains for the first batch of new characters.

Supergirl
Swamp Thing
Blue Beetle

Atrocitus
Gorilla Grodd
Captain Cold (he was also teased in the beginning of the trailer)

Scotia

Banned
So roster so far looks like:

Aquaman
Atrocitus
Batman
Captain Cold
Doctor Fate
Flash
Gorilla Grodd
Harley Quinn
Supergirl
Superman
Wonder Woman

Pretty good so far.

Ryce

So roster so far looks like:

Aquaman
Atrocitus
Batman
Captain Cold
Doctor Fate
Flash
Green Lantern
Harley Quinn
Supergirl
Superman
Wonder Woman

Pretty good so far.
You forgot Grodd. Also, that's actually a Red Lantern on the shirt (you can tell by the shape of the handle), so Green Lantern technically isn't confirmed yet.

Top Bottom