• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2 (PS4/XB1) announced, has (microtransaction?) gameplay changing lootcrates

How excited are you about gameplay changing loot crates (maybe w/ microtransactions)?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sou Da

The more and more I think about this the more and more I realize how profoundly stupid it is to use iconic superheroes of all things for a fighting game based around gear.

Should've been a new ip.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The more and more I think about this the more and more I realize how profoundly stupid it is to use iconic superheroes of all things for a fighting game based around gear.

Iconic superheroes, who of all people, are most famous for their constant and endlessly varied costume changes throughout the years?

4c0yfmb.jpg

Fairplay, mate.

Ryce

Is there a chance Green Lantern won't make it in?
Not at all. Green Lantern, Cyborg, Joker, Lex Luthor, Deathstroke, and Catwoman have a 99.99% chance of being playable, but it's best to wait for an official announcement.

Ryce

All of those are lot less MMO armor than we'll get.
The feature is officially called "gear," so I'm sure there will be a lot of standard costume and equipment variations in addition to the armor shown off in the trailer. It's easier to highlight the mechanic in a cinematic trailer using obnoxious armor than subtle padding changes.

vg260

Not at all. Green Lantern, Cyborg, Joker, Lex Luthor, Deathstroke, and Catwoman have a 99.99% chance of being playable, but it's best to wait for an official announcement.

I assumed he was a lock but wasn't sure if anything happened to him in the comic, and from what I recall is not going to be part of the Justice League movie (?).

Khezu

Filipinoman said on twitter that he heard from a little bird Cyborg isn't returning.
Obviously that's not anything definitive, but DC push or not, Cyborg was one of the least used characters in Injustice 1.

Ryce

Filipinoman said on twitter that he heard from a little bird Cyborg isn't returning.
Obviously that's not anything definitive, but DC push or not, Cyborg was one of the least used characters in Injustice 1.
The DC push matters a whole lot more than his usage in the first game. Cyborg is one of the seven main Justice League members, he'll be a major character in next year's Justice League movie, and he has a standalone movie coming out in a few years.

Aquaman
Orion
OMAC

Superman
Flash
Harley
Dr. Fate
Captain Cold
Lantern Lantern
It's Batman's mask and Wonder Woman's shield. They look weird because there's a crease in the shirt.

People have already made the comparison to the random variant action figures with made up armors and weapons throughout the history of super hero merchandise

and I think it's brilliant how Netherrealm has chosen to base their game off this phenomenon. It's a clever nod to a piece of the history of the medium that people recognize and remember. And as mentioned before, costume design changes through time and in individual stories are as much a part of the superhero medium as the looks you personally decree "iconic" because you like them the best.

Ryce

And I dont know about all y'all but I wouldn't pick Wonder Woman's shield to represent her over her tiara, bracelets, lasso or even her sword...plus Brother Eye is in the small print in the trailer so OMAC ain't a stretch
8Ny74N2.png

If you account for the shirt’s fold, the shape of the object is circular. It’s definitely Wonder Woman’s shield. The center crest, the circular border, and the studded stars are all discernible.

vg260

and I think it's brilliant how Netherrealm has chosen to base their game off this phenomenon. It's a clever nod to a piece of the history of the medium that people recognize and remember. And as mentioned before, costume design changes through time and in individual stories are as much a part of the superhero medium as the looks you personally decree "iconic" because you like them the best.

I couldn't disagree more. People were bringing these up as examples of things people hated about overdesigned superhero figures. I think it's a horrible idea to base it on. I was a collector, and this nonsense was infuriating. Hated these with a passion even as a kid, as did so many others who thought they made zero sense and just wanted an even remotely regular Superman, Bat Man, etc.

Khezu

I couldn't disagree more. People were bringing these up as examples of things people hated about overdesigned superhero figures. I think it's a horrible idea to base it on. I was a collector, and this nonsense was infuriating. Hated these with a passion even as a kid, as did so many others who just wanted an even remotely regular Superman, Bat Man, etc.

I hope they have an option in the modes that use gear to make gear invisible and just use the base costumes.

I think all the base costumes look pretty nice so far.
Though Superman not having a red belt makes him look kinda off.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I see they're drawing out the Batwoman reveal. Surely Injustice 2 will launch with more than 1 woman fighter allowed to wear pants? And that woman was Catwoman!

Come on, son.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Out of all the returning fighters from the original game, I think we can all agree that Killer Frost most definitely isn't going to be making the final cut.

I swear, I never met anybody online who ever bothered with that character.

Possible cuts:

Killer Frost
Zod
Scorpion
Zatanna (If Dr Fate is in instead)
Hopefully Bane and Catwoman for some non-Batman characters
Grundy
Ares
Raven?
Hawkgirl

vg260

Possible cuts:

Killer Frost
Zod
Scorpion
Zatanna (If Dr Fate is in instead)
Hopefully Bane and Catwoman for some non-Batman characters
Grundy
Ares
Raven?

Those are all good cuts, with the exception of maybe Catwoman.

The roster is looking much more interesting so far this time.

Watch them put in Sub-Zero instead.

Well they did intentionally avoid making the same characters appear as DLC twice for MKX (hence no Rain).

Personally I think Raiden is the most superhero-y MK character.

Edit:

Lobo fits NRS' style to a tee, he should stay.
Sinestro is fine, a single rep for 3 different colors isn't too much. (Of course, if we can get Larfleeze instead, Sinestro can go kick space rocks)

delSai

Possible cuts:

Killer Frost For sure
Zod I think they'll keep him, need some Supes villains.
Scorpion Hope so, and i think he'll get kicked out for sure.
Zatanna (If Dr Fate is in instead) Another one i can see not being in
Hopefully Bane and Catwoman for some non-Batman characters I think those will stay
Grundy Probably replaced by Grodd
Ares Yup cant see him returning
Raven? Maybe replaced by a different titan.. like y'know. Starfire.

Watch them put in Sub-Zero instead.

Nah, it'll be Spawn.

Personally I think Raiden is the most superhero-y MK character.
I also think if any MK character gonna make it its Raiden.

Shazam will maybe not be in it and they gonna give some stuff from him for Raiden.

Raiden and Static gonna be Shazam and Black Adam of Injustice 2.

Scotia

Banned
If the game is set soley in the Injustice universe, which it seems to be, then characters who died in the first game might not come back. So Shazam, Green Arrow and Lex Luthor might not make it back.

Neoxon

If the game is set soley in the Injustice universe, which it seems to be, then characters who died in the first game might not come back. So Shazam, Green Arrow and Lex Luthor might not make it back.
But they only died on the Regime Earth. All three of them are alive & well on Injustice's Earth-1. Plus Shazam is getting a movie & Green Arrow has his own CW show, so I doubt that they'll get cut.

Scotia

Banned
But they only died on the Regime Earth. All three of them are alive & well on Injustice's Earth-1. Plus Shazam is getting a movie, so I doubt that he'll get cut.

Yeah, that's what I meant by Injustice Universe. From what we've heard from the story, Earth 1 might not being featured in the game.

Neoxon

Yeah, that's what I meant by Injustice Universe. From what we've heard from the story, Earth 1 might not being featured in the game.
But with how Injustice 1 ended (Superman getting locked up), I doubt that we'd get a sequel with how the characters in the Injustice 2 reveal trailer are depicted. Plus it kinda ties their hands on who they can bring back (to promote certain movies & shows).

Ryce

They're not going to cut major characters like Lex Luthor and Green Arrow just for story purposes. Liu Kang and Kitana were playable in MKX despite dying in MK9, and their default MKX "living" costumes didn't even show up in story mode.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Darkseid is coming, they unlock evil Supes to stand a chance. Dr. Fate does some wibbly wobbly timey wimey shit to bring back the dead guys. Injustice 2 storymode boss is Darkseid. Easy day. Gimme check WB.

Scotia

Banned
But with how Injustice 1 ended (Superman getting locked up), I doubt that we'd get a sequel with how the characters in the Injustice 2 reveal trailer are depicted. Plus it kinda ties their hands on who they can bring back (to promote certain movies & shows).

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160608005497/en/Warner-Bros.-Interactive-Entertainment-Announces-Injustice-2

Injustice 2 continues the epic cinematic story introduced in Injustice: Gods Among Us as Batman and his allies work towards putting the pieces of society back together while struggling against those who want to restore Superman’s regime. In the midst of the chaos, a new threat appears that will put Earth’s existence at risk.

Bolded heavily implies that at least the main focus of Injustice 2's story is on Regime Earth.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Can't see them cutting characters like Lex, Joker and Green Arrow. Pretty sure they will find some silly excuse to resurrect them, which hopefully won't involve alternate universes this time.

I will be legit mad if MMH doesn't make it again this time after all the petitions and the twitter spam it took to put him in the first game.

Maybe I'm taking this a little too literal, but Bryan Cranston(the narrator) says "Every time I emerge from the pit I am reborn." Could he be Ra's Al Ghul? Probably not I know.

Maybe I'm taking this a little too literal, but Bryan Cranston(the narrator) says "Every time I emerge from the pit I am reborn." Could he be Ra's Al Ghul? Probably not I know.
It heavily hints at Ra´s Al Ghul. He wouldnt be the obvious next villain like Darkseid or Braniac.

With the lazarus pit in play you could also explain dead characters coming back.

Also notice how Injustice 2 color theme is green? Could be coincidence or not.

rasalghul0ldoa974pub.jpg

Top Bottom