• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside Unreal: In-depth look at PS5's Lumen in the land Of Nanite demo(only 6.14gb of geometry) and Deep dive into Nanite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corndog

Banned
I'm talking about the I/O and custom chip in ps5 that is dedicated to the decompression, compression of data that has a direct pipe to the SSD and vram.

There's nothing like it on pc. There are no custom chips running on pc that is talking to the SSD that runs separate from CPU. It's coming down the line or something similar in the issue it's help mitigating with chiplet/v-cache going forward. But even that is a while year or 2 away.

So far nothing in the pc space for I/O controller and custom chips exists yet.
And what does that have to do with ue5? Does epic state they are using this custom hardware?

VFXVeteran

Banned
Finally caught up.

It seems everyone has gotten all that... stuff.. out of their systems.
Another exciting note from the talk is that they are confident they will be able to achieve MUCH better compression in the very near future.

I'm not about to take 30 minutes to dig through your post to quote the dumb shit that has came out of your mouth and the smugness and insults thrown at people who disagreed with you. So I'll just just bookmark this for next time. Try not to get banned again before then.

You do it all the time.

The most recents off the top of my head: The Order: 1886 only used SSS in cutscenes. Naughty Dog games only feature baked static lighting and no PS game does real-time GI:
The Order's 1886 SSS (as well as Uncharted 4's) is using a texture masked approach by creating textures that will "glow" around the ears (even God of War uses it). It's not a real SSS solution using Henyey-Greenstein phase function model. Todays games now use full SSS evaluation.

Your statement is equivalent to accusing me of saying a game doesn't use procedural texturing by computing it with a 2D array of random numbers and indexing those numbers based on a world space position. You'll say I'm wrong because a paper will say "we use procedural noise" by baking down the procedural into a texture and using it as a regular texture map. The two aren't the same.

I have a deeper knowledge on how these things get implemented so that's where you don't see what I"m seeing.

UC4 using GI is an approximation with one bounce done only on a flashlight. It is not using GI in a global lighting situation like RTGI. We could go on and on about this. The thing is instead of looking up stuff on google to try and refute me, you should try to understand what a developer means when he says something. I can easily work at any of these gaming studios and none of them would think I would be ignorant of these things. Yet, I have people who have never worked in the field telling me that I'm wrong because they don't understand fully what's happening at the rendering level.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Yes. And it was not just walking and flying, moving mechanics, physics, sound, destruction...i don't know what you have seen? Everything in the background also matters.
You have no idea of what you talking about. Pretty much like always. but it is no longer important as most people understand now how ue5 works. You are an outelier

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
who's going to tell this guy that he is just playing the demo IN the editor. and all of us are talking about a COMPILED demo (as an .exe like vfxveretan's thread). i don't want to break their heart. the guy spent all day recording a video for nothing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

from more to less resource intensive
Playing the demo in the editor (snake's video) > Exploring the project in the demo in the editor (epic's video) > Playing a compiled demo (ps5's demo)
I’m sure he knows the difference.

PaintTinJr

@Bo_Hazem PaintTinJr PaintTinJr @muteZX @geordiemp

Where is my apology?

Can't run on PC huh? Or maybe run it on the editor too!
Pretty sure I just finished watching nearly three hours of interesting stuff about nanite - dovetailed lots of interesting stuff many of the technical here at gaf have discussed - like Brian's comparison of mipmaps for textures and difficulty of LoDs not having an equally simple filtering method, him clarifying why nanite meshes aren't real-time generated, which cause the limitations to non-uniform scaling and no animation, etc, etc with lots that can be discussed in this and other threads, and this was your opening post to trolling people - and you weren't even bringing quotes of what people should apologize for.

If I ever said the demo definitely won't run on a PC in any form - like this new world area grid solution in the pre-release, that Brian said wasn't in the 2020 PS5 demo, but is in what he showed on his work from home PC, that he also said had preloaded the entire data in memory for Lumen in the land of nanite, in his editor PC showcase - and you can find a quote - as they are the words you are attributing to me - then by all means, take a well earned apology, if you can.

So much of the twitch nanite stream really drilled into the way nanite taxes a GPU in ROPs and scales linearly by resolution by being all done in the rasterization (fragment shader) - according to Brian , which I also tried to discuss for weeks without people like VFXVeteran and you acknowledging.

So if we take - a mid range game clock for - a RTX 3090 and doing a quick estimate of pixel-rate (ROPs x clock = 112x1.7) ~190billion/s, and do the same for the highest next-gen console pixel-rate, we get 140billion/s. So assuming console optimizations like cache scrubbers, and streaming out compression to the SSD made no difference in the first UE5 Demo solution, then a RTX 3090 PC should be able to manage nanite at 1.35x the native resolution, = 3,456 x 1895 @ 30fps at the same fidelity settings AFAIK.

Lethal01

you should try to understand what a developer means when he says something. I can easily work at any of these gaming studio

You should try to not sound like a 12-year-old who's desperate to sound authoritative.

What you meant to say is "I meant X method of GI used at Y scale, and I'm sorry for speaking vaguely and making a blanket statement like Uncharted has no dynamic GI since it does" It's okay, it's a simple mistake. We can forgive you if you don't try to turn it into "All you guys are just idiots and what I actually meant is super clear and any real devs would know exactly what I'm saying" They don't.

What does your personal drama have to do with inside unreal?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I do not believe it will run the scene at the end of the demo completely smooth on the pc SSD's/NVMe drives.

This will hurt our pc storage. If Tim and his team is right, this is what they wanted to show what is optimized for the PS5. I'm not seeing sata SSD's or NVMe's running this whole part completely smooth.

Did you watch the video?

He flys right through that area on his PC in the editor.. he outright states it's a misconception the demo would only work on PS5... he describes that it's actually all really efficient data wise, and implies it DOESNT require anything like the PS5 I/O maxed out.

Destruction happening doesn't increase data needs.. those systems running would do great on a PC... why wouldn't they?

None of what he showed required some insane I/O.. it makes no sense that it would, considering the entire demo was likely under 20GB on disk. Whether using an NVME drive (even before DirectStorage), or a combo of an SSD/NVME/HDD and system RAM.. that demo would run great on PC most likely.

As the dev.. stated.. in the video.. in the OP lol

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I'm talking about the I/O and custom chip in ps5 that is dedicated to the decompression, compression of data that has a direct pipe to the SSD and vram.

There's nothing like it on pc. There are no custom chips running on pc that is talking to the SSD that runs separate from CPU. It's coming down the line or something similar in the issue it's help mitigating with chiplet/v-cache going forward. But even that is a while year or 2 away.

DirectStorage + RTX I/O is the next-gen of the same concept.

AMD will likely have something similar.

PC GPUs already have more than enough extra power to take on decompression needs if a game would benefit from that.

It's all not quite there TODAY.. but either is UE5.. either is any game that really is clearly pushing any of this tech.. even Ratchet.

The cards that can do it are already here.. the API being released this year...

geforce-rtx-30-series-rtx-io-announcing-rtx-io.jpg

Last edited:

sainraja

ok let me rescale a little bit so you understand.

Playing the demo in the editor (like in snake's video) > Exploring the demo in the editor (epic's video of the ps5 demo running on pc) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Playing a compiled demo (ps5's demo)
You don't need to explain that to me lol. From the outside, based on the posts I quoted, it seemed you guys were saying the same thing and still arguing over it as if you were not. I see now that he's insisting that the PC won't be able to run certain sections of that demo. I will leave that argument to you all.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Did you watch the video?

He flys right through that area on his PC in the editor.. he outright states it's a misconception the demo would only work on PS5... he describes that it's actually all really efficient data wise, and implies it DOESNT require anything like the PS5 I/O maxed out.

Destruction happening doesn't increase data needs.. those systems running would do great on a PC... why wouldn't they?

None of what he showed required some insane I/O.. it makes no sense that it would, considering the entire demo was likely under 20GB on disk. Whether using an NVME drive (even before DirectStorage), or a combo of an SSD/NVME/HDD and system RAM.. that demo would run great on PC most likely.

I might be mistaken, but his editor was showing 4096px in the top right menu for something, so I'd presume that was for textures, as virtual shadow maps are 16K according to the video. So if the textures were 4 times the size( and storage) for the 2020 real-time gameplay shown, and in 2020 they didn't have the world grid system of the new UE5 pre-release demo - as is stated in the twitch nanite video - so there's every possibility the PS5's version was streaming data crazily throughout - even if the editor mode he showed was all running from RAM - as he stated. The 2020 demo slides in an Unrealfest video does state the PS5 was stream compressing out to the PS5's SSD, as well as compressing geometry on the GPU in ram.

PaintTinJr

PC GPUs already have more than enough extra power to take on decompression needs if a game would benefit from that.

It's all not quite there TODAY.. but either is UE5.. either is any game that really is clearly pushing any of this tech.. even Ratchet.

Not that it detracts from this being a huge step up for PC and will be the baseline for UE5, but as it is a shared project with Microsoft, both the DirectStorage XVA and RTX IO are the same solution, and are still only a 20x reduction in latency over HDD - as stated in the XVA reveal info - not the 100x latency reduction of the IO complex solution

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

I said this? What you don't understand is direct storage still will use CPU cores to process the compressed data.

Did you not listening to what I said earlier about where we are headed? Direct storage in use with Nvidia and amd's API still will be based on software, and doesn't have 6 priority lanes on top of dedicated chips that literally handle data.

Pc still will use CPU/GPU cores to do the same thing.

Why do you think we are headed to chiplet? Do we can have a secondary chip with SRAM on the same dye as CPU. That's still years out.

DeaDPo0L84

You should try to not sound like a 12-year-old who's desperate to sound authoritative.

What you meant to say is "I meant X method of GI used at Y scale, and I'm sorry for speaking vaguely and making a blanket statement like Uncharted has no dynamic GI since it does" It's okay, it's a simple mistake. We can forgive you if you don't try to turn it into "All you guys are just idiots and what I actually meant is super clear and any real devs would know exactly what it means" They don't, now please, shut the fuck up.

What does your personal drama have to do with inside unreal?

Calls someone a 12 year old then proceeds to act like a 12 year old, nice.

IntentionalPun

I might be mistaken, but his editor was showing 4096px in the top right menu for something, so I'd presume that was for textures, as virtual shadow maps are 16K according to the video. So if the textures were 4 times the size( and storage) for the 2020 real-time gameplay shown, and in 2020 they didn't have the world grid system of the new UE5 pre-release demo - as is stated in the twitch nanite video - so there's every possibility the PS5's version was streaming data crazily throughout - even if the editor mode he showed was all running from RAM - as he stated. The 2020 demo slides in an Unrealfest video does state the PS5 was stream compressing out to the PS5's SSD, as well as compressing geometry on the GPU in ram.

Well he said it was the same demo repeatedly.. and stressed it runs fine on a PC. He's showing it off in the editor because he wanted to show all the different views like the triangle highlighting, making no mention of a difference in textures.. he outright states it as a misconception that only the PS5 could run the demo.

And it just doesn't make sense that a demo likely around 20GB in total size would ever really stress I/O that much. Even w/ 3x compression... that's 60GB... let's say that fly-through section is 10% of the demo.. that's 6GB uncompressed... if it's 25% of the data (very unlikely) it's still only 15GB. And compressed that's only 5GB...

Not that it detracts from this being a huge step up for PC and will be the baseline for UE5, but as it is a shared project with Microsoft, both the DirectStorage XVA and RTX IO are the same solution, and are still only a 20x reduction in latency over HDD - as stated in the XVA reveal info - not the 100x latency reduction of the IO complex solution

RTX I/O is not XVA; it's the DirectStorage API w/ using an RTX GPU for decompression. I don't know how you can come to the conclusion it has the same limitations as XVA, MS doesn't have an RTX GPU for it's decompression... they outright state 100x throughput.

But the main thing about UE5.. is that it's actually extremely EFFICIENT with data.. that's the real advancement. Which makes the idea that it's heavily I/O dependent sort of.. a myth.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I said this? What you don't understand is direct storage still will use CPU cores to process the compressed data.

It uses half a CPU core; the rest is done on the GPU. There is an insane amount of extra CPU power on PCs.. more than enough to spare.

Did you not listening to what I said earlier about where we are headed? Direct storage in use with Nvidia and amd's API still will be based on software, and doesn't have 6 priority lanes on top of dedicated chips that literally handle data.

Software? So what? That "software" runs on the GPU.. have you noticed how much power is available on PC GPUs? Just because there isn't a dedicated chip doesn't mean that's going to stress a PC GPU.

Most of UE5 uses "software" too.

Why do you think we are headed to chiplet? Do we can have a secondary chip with SRAM on the same dye as CPU. That's still years out.

You really think GPUs with 3x's the power and CPUs with multiple times the power can't overcome a dedicated decompression chip on the PS5?

Vick

The Order's 1886 SSS (as well as Uncharted 4's) is using a texture masked approach by creating textures that will "glow" around the ears (even God of War uses it). It's not a real SSS solution using Henyey-Greenstein phase function model. Todays games now use full SSS evaluation.
tQ51AKb.png

yvo1Sg6.png

ZSuy69a.png

Nv7VyHA.png

VPgIdo3.png

That was your defence last time as well, until people faced you with evidence of the entirety of the skin being affected.

About Uncharted 4 SSS, you went on record saying it didn't implement it. Then, that was only used in cutscenes:
tbEtpDC.png

YM8CwRy.png

Now, that it's just an approximation anyway. But it behave as it should, always, and therefore the game "implements SSS" (no matter which form of it).

UC4 using GI is an approximation with one bounce done only on a flashlight. It is not using GI in a global lighting situation like RTGI.
One bounce? It affects the entire scene along with every surface, and it is not limited to a flashlight but extended to fire torches, matches, lighters and every kind of light source. Another lie.

In case the linked videos weren't sufficient i have many others effectively showcasing it.

Only difference between ND GI (software RT) and a full RT GI would be the introduction, on top of the already present self occlusion, of indirect shadows caused by real-time indirect light bounce.. a huge far cry from:

There isn't a SINGLE EXCLUSIVE PS GAME that uses "dynamic GI". Do you even know how it works??

The thing is instead of looking up stuff on google to try and refute me, you should try to understand what a developer means when he says something. I can easily work at any of these gaming studios and none of them would think I would be ignorant of these things.
I'm also sure none of them would say that "there is nothing impressive in Sony FP titles, they do things every other developer does and only differences are artistic in nature".
The Order: 1886 pipeline is eight years old.. Naughty Dog's motion matching and soft-body dynamics still unparalleled, and capsule AO and soft shadows had no equals on console and basically still do on any other system not running on RTX.

And no other game does this in real-time:

P.S. For the love of God stop acting like a persecuted saint, you are permabanned on any other respectable Forum, do not work for any of these companies despite this being your field, and have verified people of the Industry on this Board calling you a clown for a reason.

Fredrik

Doubting what? Did i said i was doubting that the PC could run UE5....? The engine is just ONE part of everything else. I bet my PC wouldn't perform the same if they ever release the PS5 demo for pc. I can already say that some of the heavy parts in that demo will cause heavy drops since assets won't load that fast on our NVMe drives compared to the dedication I/O chips the PS5 has.

Much less happens in this valley demo than in the PS5 demo, and not even completely stable in that little bit of combat you have at the end.

PettyLoathsomeGreatargus-size_restricted.gif

This last part will be much more resource heavy then the entire Valley demo.

I didn’t even install it on my NVMe drive, I installed it on an older sata ssd. Still only getting rare and short small dips at key locations, like after shooting to clear the path before the droid and like I said earlier at one spot after the droid fight if I look to the left. When flying the drone in the desert at the start it’s locked. And like I said, 60fps by tweaking the details, and this is a 4yo graphics card. And we don’t know how they had set up the PS5 demo, you probably think it’s the highest setting on everything, I think it’s carefully adjusted to get the framerate solid.
Load times will be faster on PS5 though, takes 10 seconds on my sata ssd to warp from the desert to the droid area, with some stuff at a distance arriving late.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
no....there 3 cases who will use DirectStorage Api

Direct Storage ..(just every PC)
Direct Storage + RTX IO (PC which will use Nvidia GPUs to decompress data)
XVA (Custom NVME SSD + Direct Storage +HW Decompressor + SFS)

I am convinced that after Nvidia also amd will allow PC's to decompress data on their GPUs. So that 20X is the baseline

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Cuz PC doesnt "NEED" that, PCIE by definition is either talking directly to the CPU already or to the chipset.
With new IO solutions the CPU can even be bypassed entirely....why would we need something else to "talk" to the SSD?

The IPC of a full fat CPU/GPU is enough to not need to have a separate piece of hardware to do the decompression.
And once the Win 10 version with DirectStorage is out, devs will just force that version as minspec and the war is over.
Hell they could put an SSD in the rec spec as well to make sure their game works correct.
HDD for minspec but dont cry if the game runs like shit on your PC.

In a gaming PC you are going to have a GPU or CPU thats vastly superior at decompression instructions than the chip in the PS5 so why would anyone want to then have another custom chip to do that job, just schedule a core/thread or the GPU to do the job.

So yes you are correct there are no consumer level custom chips for I/O and decompression.....in the same vein on PC there are also no consumer level custom GPUs, or custom CPUs, or custom RAM configurations, or custom SSDs.....see where im going with this.

DirectStorage might be alot closer than you think.
image001.jpg

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Did you watch the video?

He was just using a damn camera to go over the area, same i did in my first part of the video in editor mode. That is really not the same as when all systems are enabled like in the PS5 demo. Flying in camera mode in editor is not the same as “he it can run on my system” since no mechanics run so your system is not stressed at al. Again look at my video.

M MonarchJT Why the fuck are you even trying to talk to me? You don’t know shit, i bet you just wanna say something instead going into discussion. I quite easy to say “like others already told you” yeah and there are also others that are explaining what i already said. You have guts to say this.

Fredrik Fredrik respect dude. Your the “only” one not going personal and just want a normal discussion. I also had some dips, and in others runs dips at places i didn’t had before. But the whole point of this thread and what people tried to claim from the start was “ooh look they lied, demo can run on pc”. But what we’ve seen was a map area without any control over mechanics which is much less resource intensive because you can crank camera speed and fly over the area with the camera without any interaction with the area, no collision, no vfx, and all other mechanics. So as long as we haven’t seen the demo on the pc running and playable like the Valley demo. We don’t know how it will run on different systems. And like i said, i bet some of the heavy sections wont do well on the ssd side or even fps.

But why not, let EPIC release the demo if possible for the pc.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
He was just using a damn camera to go over the area, same i did in my first part of the video in editor mode. That is really not the same as when all systems are enabled like in the PS5 demo. Flying in camera mode in editor is not the same as “he it can run on my system” since no mechanics run so your system is not stressed at al. Again look at my video.

M MonarchJT Why the fuck are you even trying to talk to me? You don’t know shit, i bet you just wanna say something instead going into discussion. I quite easy to say “like others already told you” yeah and there are also others that are explaining what i already said. You have guts to say this.

Fredrik Fredrik respect dude. Your the “only” one not going personal and just want a normal discussion.
yes yes sure...but your were wrong yesterday one month ago and today I was and im right from months

Last edited:

Fredrik Fredrik respect dude. Your the “only” one not going personal and just want a normal discussion.
Let's rewind again. Maybe you and that weird raja guy need to see how things unfolded here. There's no way you are that blind or lacking that much self awareness.

Here's my very first post in this thread. I never said anything wrong.

I just wish they released this to the public, so we could run it too. But this guy is running a more intensive and updated version of the demo compared to last year.

it's running on a ps5 dev kit running windows 10
You reply with a respectful response
Run the demo on your PC they released. There is a difference between running it in the editor and equal gameplay performance wise. This is free view cam and he said that Lumen and Nanite also runs on other platforms and that's true since UE5 runs on everything. It's the demo itself that won't be the same on every platform if you run it.
I reply back with a respectful post as well.
The baked demo for this would be easy as hell to run on PC. That's why the marketing deals are so annoying, cause this would have already been released to the public already. But running the demo in the editor, would be much more heavy in performance hits, yet it just chugs along. Can't wait for all the fanboys to spin this somehow. SSD my ass.
Then outta no where you get some courage to try and act better than others and pretend you know what you are talking about. I never did or said anything to get your panties in a bunch.
You clearly have no idea what you talking about. Performance wise...nothing is heavy in editor since no game mechanics are running. See that "play" button on the top bar? That when you equally can start the demo and all kinds of mechanics will be enabled, like physics, sound, animation, destruction, lighting etc etc

Again run the UE5 demo they released on your pc and you will see that there is a huge difference between editor free fly/camera control and gameplay.

Did you ever run a future mark demo? Even there you have demos where you have free camera control, where the performance is many times higher than when you run the benchmark itself and all the mechanics are in action.

And you wonder why all of us respond back to you with the same energy you gave us? Or why no one is really trying to help you understand why you have been wrong all along. If you didn't beat your chest so loud, I'm sure all of us would be willing to help you understand the differences, or how to compile the demo into an executable, etc. It takes 2 to tango, so next time come correct, and no one would be as asshole right back to you.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Let's rewind again. Maybe you and that weird raja guy need to see how things unfolded here. There's no way you are that blind or lacking that much self awareness.

Here's my very first post in this thread. I never said anything wrong.

You reply with a respectful response

I reply back with a respectful post as well.

Then outta no where you get some courage to try and act better than others and pretend you know what you are talking about. I never did or said anything to get your panties in a bunch.

And you wonder why all of us respond back to you with the same energy you gave us? Or why no one is really trying to help you understand why you have been wrong all along. If you didn't beat your chest so loud, I'm sure all of us would be willing to help you understand the differences, or how to compile the demo into an executable, etc. It takes 2 to tango, so next time come correct, and no one would be as asshole right back to you.

All of us? Really, i see the same 5 people constantly…so sorry, that doesn’t mean you guys are completely right since others also had discussions with you “all”. It’s not me against the thread and so far my evidence is in this thread were i can claim that the editor is less resource heavy. I even fly fast over the canyon, same they did in the last section from the PS5 demo. Editor mode is more flexible to go anywhere on the map without any mechanics enabled.

M MonarchJT ow sure so my video is also fake like everything that has to do with UE5 right? Come back when you have the editor running on your little pc. Just watch my video or shut up.

From here i’m done with the thread. At this point we’ve only see it running in realtime on the PS5, and just a editor overview from the devs on pc. Maybe next-time they will show if and how it will run on pc playable and maybe side by side with the PS5 version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

MonarchJT

Banned
All of us? Really, i see the same 5 people constantly…so sorry, that doesn’t mean you guys are completely right since others also had discussions with you “all”. It’s not me against the thread and so far my evidence is in this thread were i can claim that the editor is less resource heavy. I even fly fast over the canyon, same they did in the last section from the PS5 demo. Editor mode is more flexible to go anywhere on the map without any mechanics enabled.
the editor require many , many more resources. period.

Have you compiled the demo yet? As that's one of the things that keeps being brought up. It's not a proper compared to hitting the play button in the editor. Try running all 3, and let us know in order, what uses the most to least resources out of the three options. Until you do that, it will continue to be the same people arguing against what you are claiming, as we've all ran it already.

Here Snake29 Snake29

Last edited:

Brofist

M MonarchJT ow sure so my video is also fake like everything that has to do with UE5 right? Come back when you have the editor running on your little pc. Just watch my video or shut up.

From here i’m done with the thread. At this point we’ve only see it running in realtime on the PS5, and just a editor overview from the devs on pc. Maybe next-time they will show if and how it will run on pc playable and maybe side by side with the PS5 version.
Yeah best to give it up fella, you've dug yourself in a hole that you can't get out of, and it's obvious you are clueless.

Last edited:
Well question, since you watched my video, was my first part in editor mode taxing on my system? I bet you saw the fps?
Try to cook, bake, compile, broil, fry, grill the demo, and see what uses more resources. I'm almost beginning to think you are trolling at this point... You keep purposely skipping that step that we have all been saying. That way you can test without the editor running. And using common sense, we should be able to conclude that it would use less resources as the editor won't need to be running anymore. And to be sure, you can run that cooked demo and how much resources it would be using in comparison to running the editor in free roam or hitting the play button.

I don't think any of us can make it any clearer to you at this point. If you don't want to try it out, cool, but don't sit up here and argue with those that have already done this, hence why we know which is heavier for a fact.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You know, I genuinely like a lot of people on this forum...from all sides and it’s painful to see all this back and forth. Let’s say hyperthetically that Epic aren’t very clever and catered an engine that could do these demo flyby moments on only one platform out of say the 4 to 5 they are really targeting.

we will never see a game on ps5 using unreal engine 5 and the full incredible utilisation of the god like ps5 IO because it’s pretty obvious that the current sony has pivoted to look at keeping games on PS4 and even more so bringing games to pc. So until mass consumer pcs have the same IO as the ps5 we won’t see games utilising the ssd that way.

Long story short, IF and a big IF (which I personally don’t believe) only the ps5 could pull off the clearly scripted fly by scene we will not see anything doing that on ps5 using unreal engine 5 This Gen. Maybe the ps6.

also,we are in e3 season so let’s get hyped for the real games we will actually see instead of some tech demo that will never be a game.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Yeah best to give it up fella, you've dug yourself in a hole that you can't get out of, and it's obvious you are clueless.

Nice drive by shitpost.

Try to cook, bake, compile, broil, fry, grill the demo, and see what uses more resources. I'm almost beginning to think you are trolling at this point... You keep purposely skipping that step that we have all been saying. That way you can test without the editor running. And using common sense, we should be able to conclude that it would use less resources as the editor won't need to be running anymore. And to be sure, you can run that cooked demo and how much resources it would be using in comparison to running the editor in free roam or hitting the play button.

I don't think any of us can make it any clearer to you at this point. If you don't want to try it out, cool, but don't sit up here and argue with those that have already done this, hence why we know which is heavier for a fact.

What point do you want to make with "packaging"? It's only for exporting it to upload it on the marketplace. If i package it, it will still run on my hardware so it doesn't make any sense what you're saying here. But thnx for sharing this video because i looked at it, and still trying to figure out what point you try to make.

The Valley demo is already a separate package you need to download. When you open the file, it will open the UE5 editor.

So there is nothing different from already running in the editor and then export the SAME DEMO and run it again lol.....

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
This all looks amazing. As mainly a Nintendo peasant I hope this tech will work on calculators too at some point.

• LOL
Reactions: Rea
Nice drive by shitpost.

What point do you want to make with "packaging"? It's only for exporting it to upload it on the marketplace. If i package it, it will still run on my hardware so it doesn't make any sense what you're saying here. But thnx for sharing this video because i looked at it, and still trying to figure out what point you try to make.

The Valley demo is already a separate package you need to download. When you open the file, it will open the UE5 editor.

So their is nothing different from already running in the editor and then export the SAME DEMO and run it again lol.....
Look man, I'm trying to help you out. Instead of assuming or going by what you think, just hear me out.

When you export the demo, you can run it without the editor. You can even uninstall the editor, and still run the demo, as the editor will no longer be a prerequisite. And you don't have to upload it either. Just export and run.

Why not just try it out? That way you can have a real comparison, and can see for yourself that the exported demo uses way less resources than it does running the editor on top.

GuinGuin

Banned
You know, I genuinely like a lot of people on this forum...from all sides and it’s painful to see all this back and forth. Let’s say hyperthetically that Epic aren’t very clever and catered an engine that could do these demo flyby moments on only one platform out of say the 4 to 5 they are really targeting.

we will never see a game on ps5 using unreal engine 5 and the full incredible utilisation of the god like ps5 IO because it’s pretty obvious that the current sony has pivoted to look at keeping games on PS4 and even more so bringing games to pc. So until mass consumer pcs have the same IO as the ps5 we won’t see games utilising the ssd that way.

Long story short, IF and a big IF (which I personally don’t believe) only the ps5 could pull off the clearly scripted fly by scene we will not see anything doing that on ps5 using unreal engine 5 This Gen. Maybe the ps6.

also,we are in e3 season so let’s get hyped for the real games we will actually see instead of some tech demo that will never be a game.

A few games that have been in development for 3+ years are cross gen and you think Sony has given up on PS5 exclusives? Seriously. This forum is so full of people with no grasp on reality. Guess what, Rift Apart comes out in a few days and is using the SSD and godlike I/O to it's fullest as will the first Unreal 5 games released on PS5.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
A few games that have been in development for 3+ years are cross gen and you think Sony has given up on PS5 exclusives? Seriously. This forum is so full of people with no grasp on reality. Guess what, Rift Apart comes out in a few days and is using the SSD and godlike I/O to it's fullest as will the first Unreal 5 games released on PS5.

hey sorry, I didn’t realise rift apart was using unreal engine 5 and utilising the tech we saw in the ue5 demo. Try reading my post please.

also, games take like 5 years to make now. So let’s start developing a game at the end of this year on ue5 and we may see it at the end of the ps5s lifecycle. Shits not really gonna be here until ps6 and then you will be all going on about some other bullshit that Cerny, Tim Sweeney fed you all.

Last edited:
Flying through the scene manually in the engine viewport is the same as doing it in a release build. Only with extra engine overhead (significant), and minus the animated player Actor and camera (insignificant).

Whatever you can do in the engine, you can always do faster in a cooked build.

GuinGuin

Banned
hey sorry, I didn’t realise rift apart was using unreal engine 5 and utilising the tech we saw in the ue5 demo. Try reading my post please.

also, games take like 5 years to make now. So let’s start developing a game at the end of this year on ue5 and we may see it at the end of the ps5s lifecycle. Shits not really gonna be here until ps6 and then you will be all going on about some other bullshit that Cerny, Tim Sweeney fed you all.

Do I need to point out that Sony had early access to Unreal 5 and already has games in development that will likely use it like the new IP from Bend?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Do I need to point out that Sony had early access to Unreal 5 and already has games in development that will likely use it like the new IP from Bend?

looking forward to seeing an actual game on ue5 on ps5 and what Sony first party can do with it. Let’s pick up in 6 years seeings though that’s how long bend took with Days Gone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom