• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instances of factually better graphics on console over PC

In many cases with the ps2 the weird extra features it had with, what, volumetric effects and anti aliasing, or WHATEVER it was, made ps2 games look smoother than on my Pentium 4 PC.. vice city for example, i think

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
For sure. Basically any arcadey game from 1995 and earlier was better on consoles. Maybe even longer. Especially fast paced and 2D. But once 3D graphics took over, a good PC does it better.

16bit computers had some ok arcade ports which surprisingly 16bit consoles skipped.

SMS vs Amiga version of Wonderboy in Monsterland, though at least they were better than C64 version.

1105.jpg
65681-wonder-boy-in-monster-land-amiga-screenshot-meet-mini-mushroom.gif

SMS vs Amiga Shinobi

shinobi-sms.jpg
55031-shinobi-amiga-screenshot-mission-1-level-1.gif

Rodland NES vs Amiga

maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

daninthemix

Depends - at the time, or later?

Lots of ports in the past were 'iffy', but are now by far the superior versions, with issues fixed, mods, QOS improvements, sixteen times the resolution (and more), etc, etc

theclaw135

Banned
Depends - at the time, or later?

Lots of ports in the past were 'iffy', but are now by far the superior versions, with issues fixed, mods, QOS improvements, sixteen times the resolution (and more), etc, etc

I'm looking for games where the console version has better graphics, out of the box, than the PC version.

But you bring up a good point. If the time span is too far apart, it may have occurred because the console is more powerful (compared to PCs at the time of the game's initial release).

hunthunt

Banned
GTA San Andreas and Silent Hill 2 both had shitty pc ports way worse than the original PS2 material. Both were corrected by mods.

Last edited:

Banned
GTA3 and GTA Vice City on Xbox vs PC.

but that was due to the fact that the PC versions were a port of the PS2 versions while the Xbox ports have been enhanced to suit the massively more capable GPU of the Xbox.
so they added better effects, higher res textures, remade character models WITH INDIVIDUAL FINGERS! (I know crazy) and enhanced car models with 3D rims, 3D motors and 3D undersides instead of the flat textures seen on PS2.

and on PC you couldn't even run the game at above 30fps without completely breaking the physics, so the only thing the PC version could push higher without breaking game mechanics is the resolution.

Last edited:

MrA

16bit computers had some ok arcade ports which surprisingly 16bit consoles skipped.

SMS vs Amiga version of Wonderboy in Monsterland, though at least they were better than C64 version.

SMS vs Amiga Shinobi

Rodland NES vs Amiga
The amiga and atari sts aren't pcs though, they're much more like consoles with fixed custom graphics and sound hardware.

JimboJones

Yea, I really dislike the look of super sharpened low poly models against the blurry pre-rendered backdrops in the recent ports.

You could just lower the resolution of the game before it starts too for that og look.
I think it even has a tick box to play like that.

stranno

Just Cause. The PC version was a Playstation 2, maybe XBOX, port. It looked worse than the XBOX 360 version, published exactly the same day. Don't get me wrong, the game sucks in all platforms, but at least it looks a bit better on 360.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 has some better details on Playstation 4 compared to PC, and more enemies on screen. I think One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 looks exactly the same in both platforms.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
GTA III and Vice City on Xbox had better cars than on PC. Meanwhile, PS2 version of San Andreas have some visual effects that aren't on PC or Xbox. Also, PC versions of all 6th gen GTA games have lower quality audio.
Partly a +1 and partly informational: if you go on Steam’s guides section for each of the PS2 GTAs you’ll find things like “Definitive Edition” which are curated mod packages. Firstly, they’re brilliant and they make the games feel like they did on console but better, and secondly they all say things like “Brings X from Y console version” and “Downgrades X file to bring back Y which was deleted in version Z”.

Very weird state of affairs, and very backwards by modern PC standards, but it’s all there for the taking.

chitzy

Banned
ff7 haven is the program I used, followed this guide

pZJHxkg.jpg

xpcJXKz.png

second one guy is using background enhanced but standaed charactersS you can customize all the details you want enhanced (and variations of enhancements) and what you want default

also the upgraded music mod is fantastic

Does it have the original dialogue? I refuse to play the updated bullshit that doesn't have Tifa calling Barret a retard.

SonGoku

Ctrl + F: RE4
Im surprised nobody mentioned it, RE4 on GC is the most recent example that comes to mind
You don't need antialiasing for the blurry mess that was ps2 480i
It looked good in CRT TVs 🤷‍♂️ Granted i was o pleb with no access to VGA in games back then

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
A few early Psygnosis PS1 games were ported to PC... like WipeOut/XL, Destruction Derby, etc. I really wonder how they were... this was before DirectX and 3D accelerators were non-standard which widely divergent results and support. I would guess that, in software mode, they performed about as well as they did on the PS1 on a decent CPU, but had the potential to be significantly worse.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Pro Evo around 2016 had better graphics on PS4 than on PC. I recall Burnout Paradise Remastered looking better on PS4 Pro than the version I have on Steam, but I'm not sure if that is the same for the Origin version or not. Batman Arkham Knight at launch had some better graphical features over the PC.

MrA

Ctrl + F: RE4
Im surprised nobody mentioned it, RE4 on GC is the most recent example that comes to mind

It looked good in CRT TVs 🤷‍♂️ Granted i was o pleb with no access to VGA in games back then
I forgot that train wreck existed ps2-lighting, we'll done boys, we'll done

petran79

Banned
The amiga and atari sts aren't pcs though, they're much more like consoles with fixed custom graphics and sound hardware.

Same can be said for many laptops today. But they were considered
computers back then too and supported hardware expansions

Last edited:

Bankai

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver comes to mind.

The Dreamcast port looked and played phenomenal:

maxresdefault.jpg

The PC port was derived from the Playstation version, which was (so very) ugly in comparison. Therefor, the DC version was so much better than any other version.

Sentenza

For sure. Basically any arcadey game from 1995 and earlier was better on consoles. Maybe even longer. Especially fast paced and 2D. But once 3D graphics took over, a good PC does it better.
Well, I know that when someone is on the console side has to cling to any small victory he can, but let's be honest here: that stuff hardly counts anymore, when you now have perfect arcade emulation on PC.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver comes to mind.

The Dreamcast port looked and played phenomenal:

maxresdefault.jpg

The PC port was derived from the Playstation version, which was (so very) ugly in comparison. Therefor, the DC version was so much better than any other version.
It also has the dynamic soundtrack on the PS1 version (and probably the DC version) that the PC version can't have. At best there's DSP effects for different states but it's not the same.

theclaw135

Banned
Well, I know that when someone is on the console side has to cling to any small victory he can, but let's be honest here: that stuff hardly counts anymore, when you now have perfect arcade emulation on PC.

As late as the 16bit era, consoles were ahead in certain areas. Marvels like Ristar and Rocket Knight Adventures were achieved on 1988 hardware.

Sentenza

As late as the 16bit era, consoles were ahead in certain areas. Marvels like Ristar and Rocket Knight Adventures were achieved on 1988 hardware.
Nah, most of the times they weren't. it took more or less the time to reach the PS2 before concurrent arcade devices started falling behind home consoles.
Besides, they can be emulated as well.

theclaw135

Banned
Nah, most of the times they weren't. it took more or less the time to reach the PS2 before concurrent arcade devices started falling behind home consoles.
Besides, they can be emulated as well.

Perhaps, but we're getting off topic. Neither arcades nor emulation have anything to do with what I'm after.

Top Bottom