• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Arc A770 officially announced for sale on October 12th at 329USD

OZ9000

Banned
A770 16GB, $349
A770 8GB, $329
A750 8GB, $289

Pretty sweet deals.

What's interesting the A770/A750 seems to have considerable ray tracing performance advantage over RTX 3060. And both the A series and 3060 have AI based upscaling using dedicated matrix units, unlike what AMD is doing. ATM I'd get A770 over low to mid end AMD parts.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Would be a good 'PS5/Xbox beater' for someone who wants a mid range gaming PC.

Last edited:

Banned
A770 16GB, $349
A770 8GB, $329
A750 8GB, $289

Pretty sweet deals.

What's interesting the A770/A750 seems to have considerable ray tracing performance advantage over RTX 3060. And both the A series and 3060 have AI based upscaling using dedicated matrix units, unlike what AMD is doing. ATM I'd get A770 over low to mid end AMD parts.

these cards kill AMD's 6000 series equivalents for sure

DaGwaphics

A770 is like a slightly bigger 6700 XT, so Intel seems to be doing a fire sale.

It's the only real option for them to break in. I expect that they will offer extremely competitive prices for quite some time. I'll keep an eye on the A770 reviews, maybe I might jump on that if they can deliver it for the sticker price of $350.

Andodalf

Banned
Not looking as good as I have xpected, 16GB costs more and is limited edition.
8GB is over 300, the A750 is barely cheaper, should be 250.
They have priced it just high enough that you're better off sticking with the incumbents.
I mean it’s cheaper than the 3060 and has better RT than the 6600 XT. They launched a gpu with a space in the market on their first try, that’s a huge W

ACESHIGH

Banned
Let's see how the drivers mature and if the control panel is as good as NVIDIA or AMD. That can make or break the card. But it seems to be a decent offering. Still a bit too expensive. Would have been disruptive at 250 USD to gain share.

This is their first attempt and it seems solid if you look at pricing and what you get. Drivers will mature, this is new for them. We need a 3rd company in the market to drive competition. It may take a couple generations but this is a good thing.

jaysius

Banned
It’s going to be interesting to see the F° to C° on this one into Canuck dubloonies.

We always get fucked, but maybe intel will be kind.

Crayon

I am not about to jump on board yet but I am liking what I'm seeing. First off, the cards look great. I know it doesn't really matter, but those are the best looking cards I've seen since the R9 Fury.

And brav-o on the pricing strat and even the marketing message "Bringing Back Balance". Maybe this will make amd think twice before fucking up their chance with RDNA3 pricing.

PaintTinJr

I'm not sure if the technical specs pf the Arc cards on sites like techpower are just guesses at the moment, but if they are accurate. I think the nvidia is going to have an issue with the level of double flops (64bit) these cards can do at that price point, because Intel at this stage, aren't doing a workstation class (Fire/Quadro) range of their own are effectively putting out cards that aren't nerfed for workstation use AFAIK,

Even the Gpixel level on these cards from the A750 are almost the same as the A770 card - looking at the specs - (which are at 3080 levels) with the A750 at 112ROPs versus the A770 at 128 ROPs, and both using clocks north of 2Mhz at base, suggests these are very balanced designs IMO.

the info at
https://game.intel.com/story/intel-arc-graphics-qa-hardware-specs/

with a slide showing the full range's power use also suggests these on the next node are going to either see big performance or power efficiency gains - going by how the A380 and A580's drop in clock/specs impacts power use.

In the video it sounded like they are benching these against overclocked 3060 cards, while running their Arc at stock clocks, so will be interesting to see where these land in 2years with new DX12/Vulkan game use and highly evolved drivers.

twilo99

I love that Intel’s focused on the midrange, because Nvidia just wants to push $1,500-$2,000 cards down our throats.

Those Intel prices are making me feel like I am in a time machine or something.. Decent GPUs used to cost this much like a decade ago.

You can once again maybe consider building a budget gaming PC that could compete with a PS5 that doesn't cost 4x as much...

Last edited:

Neo_game

I thought A770 would be close to 3070. But anyways the price point is good the card also looks sleek as well so they are doing some good things. They need more optimized games and better drivers. Looking forward to the reviews.

jaysius

Banned
What kind of psi size would you need for the a770 just using pure speculation?

I have a Corsair RM650, hopefully that’ll suffice. I’m only running a AMD 5700g I know that will bottleneck things but I accept that.

hlm666

The problem with these are you need rebar, if your dropping these in something older than zen2/intel 12th gen because they are a bit cheaper than a 3060 your in for a "fun" time.

Banned
What kind of psi size would you need for the a770 just using pure speculation?

I have a Corsair RM650, hopefully that’ll suffice. I’m only running a AMD 5700g I know that will bottleneck things but I accept that.

Jayztwocents reads the back of the package requirements of the A750

the A750 recommends a 600 watt PSU, and the ARC 7 series all draw the same power going by the specs of the cards.
so I assume a 650 watt PSU should be totally fine

LordOfChaos

The problem with these are you need rebar, if your dropping these in something older than zen2/intel 12th gen because they are a bit cheaper than a 3060 your in for a "fun" time.

Yeah I'm curious to see tests with and without resizable bar on final launch drivers, is it always going to be a huge deal on these GPUs, or can they optimize that out and you just miss a bit

Banned

this is indeed an important point. these cards are basically designed with Rebar in mind and don't work as intended without it. so having a modern Motherboard and CPU is important!
remember, not all AM4 boards do support Rebar! some released before rebar was even a thing and some will need bios updates to support it. so some of you might have a modern Zen 2 or even Zen 3 CPU but use it on a board that was originally meant for Zen 1 or Zen+ and never got a bios update

Last edited:

hlm666

Yeah I'm curious to see tests with and without resizable bar on final launch drivers, is it always going to be a huge deal on these GPUs, or can they optimize that out and you just miss a bit
Apparently it's a hardware memory controller issue and wont be fixable via software. Will have to see how 3rd party reviews look but at the lowest level it is a hardware problem.

this is indeed an important point. these cards are basically designed with Rebar in mind and don't work as intended without it. so having a modern Motherboard and CPU is important!
remember, not all AM4 boards do support Rebar! some released before rebar was even a thing and some will need bios updates to support it. so some of you might have a modern Zen 2 or even Zen 3 CPU but use it on a board that was originally meant for Zen 1 or Zen+ and never got a bios update
The issue is compounded by the fact that people looking at these because they are cheap are also the ones who probably went with a cheap motherboard without the support. I'm not even sure there would be many people who have a zen2 or intel 12th gen that paired it with something less powerful than these, most people would have bought a better gpu before upgrading their cpu to one of those.

LordOfChaos

Apparently it's a hardware memory controller issue and wont be fixable via software. Will have to see how 3rd party reviews look but at the lowest level it is a hardware problem.

They said their memory model heavily leans on it and is much slower without, and even to go with "someone else" if you didn't have resizable bar, but also that they were working on tuning it out as much in possible in drivers too

Buggy Loop

So, unless real reviews shows that intel lied about benchmarks (i doubt), it's a very very good first entry into GPUs. Imagine if that had released 1 year ago? The price is right, the performances seems to be there, the cards are looking good and not chunky, they have the right tech for RT & AI. We'll have to see how it goes with drivers but i mean yea, not Intel's first rodeo on that front anyway since they had to do it for integrated graphics.

Give or take 2nd or 3rd iteration of their GPUs and they might be a serious contender.. If i didn't have a 3080 Ti, i think i would have tried to buy it.

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
id buy that for a dollar GIF
That's criminal, you're under the cat.
33iu6n7peoo51.png

Oops, my bad, you're under arrest very mean thug 😾
robocop shooting GIF

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Arc-Review-Site.jpg

I've just realized this GPU is named after a popular swear in Rome. Now italianGAF can finally say Thank you ARC A770

Last edited:
Will Intel incorporate their ARC GPU into their own APU format instead of their current sucky iGPU's? Will it be at the same level as the upcoming 'Phoenix' APU from AMD? Glad we got a decent 3rd contender in the GPU market.

LordOfChaos

Will Intel incorporate their ARC GPU into their own APU format instead of their current sucky iGPU's? Will it be at the same level as the upcoming 'Phoenix' APU from AMD? Glad we got a decent 3rd contender in the GPU market.

Yes, but even more exciting than that is tiled GPUs, which promise to bring closer to dedicated graphics performance to integrated integration

Yes, but even more exciting than that is tiled GPUs, which promise to bring closer to dedicated graphics performance to integrated integration

[/URL]

Awesome, but what about bandwidth and reduced latency? DDR5 has greater bandwidth than DDR4, but not at the same level as GDDR5, GDDR6, HBM? Is there some sort of ESRAM\EDRAM for PC's similar to Xbox One and Xbox360 that boosts bandwidth without increasing latency?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Awesome, but what about bandwidth and reduced latency? DDR5 has greater bandwidth than DDR4, but not at the same level as GDDR5, GDDR6, HBM? Is there some sort of ESRAM\EDRAM for PC's similar to Xbox One and Xbox360 that boosts bandwidth without increasing latency?
Pcie 4 / 5

LordOfChaos

I think it's going to be DDR5 at up to 5600 MT/s or LPDDR5X at 7467 MT/s which gives ~120 GB/s, nothing exotic for bandwidth but pretty fast considering system DDR. Hopefully Battlemage also has more bandwidth efficiency. M2 has an impressive IGP on 100GB/s.

Last edited:
Top Bottom