• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel i5 10400/10400F vs. Ryzen 3600.

Leonidas

So we agree, you don’t know how to use the word. Be less vague and use less hyperbole and maybe you can do more than blame someone else not living up to your standards.
50-100% behind in some games is extremely bad and appaling for me. If it's okay for you your standards clearly are much lower than mine as I stated earlier.

50-100% behind in some games is extremely bad and appaling for me. If it's okay for you your standards clearly are much lower than mine as I stated earlier.
What games, what resolutions, what frames per second. Don’t be vague so you can blame someone else for your inability to make a coherent argument.

Leonidas

What games, what resolutions, what frames per second. Don’t be vague so you can blame someone else for your inability to make a coherent argument.

A number of games fall in that range when comparing the fastest current gaming CPU to the abysmal gaming performance of the original Zen. Do some research, it is a fact. I wouldn't have said it otherwise...

Last edited:
A number of games fall in that range when comparing the fastest current gaming CPU to the abysmal gaming performance of the original Zen. Do some research, it is a fact. I wouldn't have said it otherwise...
Keep moving them goal posts. Now it’s a abysmal gaming CPU when compared to the fastest today.

Yet it still plays GTA 5 with maxed out settings with just a 1080 graphics card just fine. It plays Witcher 3 the same and every game I throw at it. And instead of getting off the platform I could invest in. 2080, or a G-Sync monitor. Not that I need it. 60fps is fine for most people. Especially for streaming to YT or Twitch.

You are just a benchmark whore and FPS snob. You call something terrible when there is value to something that is tangible to people.

You don’t represent PC gamers. You represent marketing departments.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Keep moving them goal posts. Now it’s a abysmal gaming CPU when compared to the fastest today.

Yet it still plays GTA 5 with maxed out settings with just a 1080 graphics card just fine. It plays Witcher 3 the same and every game I throw at it. And instead of getting off the platform I could invest in. 2080, or a G-Sync monitor. Not that I need it. 60fps is fine for most people. Especially for streaming to YT or Twitch.

You are just a benchmark whore and FPS snob. You call something terrible when there is value to something that is tangible to people.

You don’t represent PC gamers. You represent marketing departments.
I was initially lead to believe that the 10 series would end up being compelling CPUs for gamers when I saw the Intel slide. as I made the mistake of assuming that the prices shown on that slide were retail prices and that Intel would make major gains in price to performance compared to AMD. Turns out that those prices were for the bulk cost to vendors and the final prices in the store are obviously higher. Instead of being a $380 CPU, the 10700K is a $420 CPU. The only pleasant surprise is that the Z490 boards have not been priced as expensive as I expected and plenty can be had for under $200.

To get the Intel equivalent core count, you are still going to have to pay in excess of $100 more.

If high framerate 1080p competitive gaming is the end all, be all and there is no budget then sure go with Intel, but in all other instances the money you save going with AMD is better invested in faster GPU. Not to mention the money saved in not having to buy an extra cooler.

Last edited:

zen1 wasnt the best when it comes to gaming, but was still good enough for midrange builds.
1600 showed better frametime consitency compared to any i5 of that period.
If fact, I'd wager to say that it aged waaaay better than any i5 without hypertreading intel ever produced.

I still have it in my machine and it does its job well enough.

Last edited:
zen1 wasnt the best when it comes to gaming, but was still good enough for midrange builds.
1600 showed better frametime consitency compared to any i5 of that period.
If fact, I'd wager to say that it aged waaaay better than any i5 without hypertreading intel ever produced.

I still have it in my machine and it does its job well enough.
I run that cpu too and it’s fine. If I replace it a 3300X seems to be the best financial option. The only gaming I do that would require the MHz and tech tweaks is better CEMU options and PS3 emulation.

PC gaming it does the trick for now. It’s better than my gaming laptop that is intel i5 and 1660.

Leonidas

please re-read your post #45 before you get condescending. Prick.
How so? I simply stated people with 8700K don't need an upgrade. Near 10600K performance today 3 years ago, overclock it and it's basically a 10600K.
And then mentioned AMD's gaming improvements, they've come a long way since Zen1, even the budget 3300x is probably 30-60% faster than Zen 1 in a number of cases, making Zen1 abysmal today.

How so? I simply stated people with 8700K don't need an upgrade. Near 10600K performance today 3 years ago, overclock it and it's basically a 10600K.
And then mentioned AMD's gaming improvements, they've come a long way since Zen1, even the budget 3300x is probably 30-60% faster than Zen 1 in a number of cases, making Zen1 abysmal today.
You are a piece of work.

HDXUHne.gif

scydrex

And still Zen 1 with modern games using more cores is more future proof than intel... for 1080 high fps or DX11 games sure intel is faster still but i think now the sweet spot is 1440p.

Last edited:

Leonidas

And still Zen 1 with modern games using more cores is more future proof than intel...
Compared to pre-Zen 4-Core Intel maybe. But since Zen1 Intel released 8700K in the same year. 8700K is still near the top of gaming CPU charts while Zen1 is on the bottom of any modern CPU. Zen1 is the worst performing gaming CPU since it launched while 8700K still remains near the best performing.

Last edited:
Compared to pre-Zen 4-Core Intel maybe. But since Zen1 Intel released 8700K in the same year. 8700K is still near the top of gaming CPU charts while Zen1 is on the bottom of any modern CPU. Zen1 is the worst performing gaming CPU since it launched while 8700K still remains near the best performing.
Being on the bottom of a chart does not equal abysmal when the top ends of the chart are absolutely niche to the average gamer and require to violate the value proposition.

So what if I can’t do 120fps? I can and do 60-90! If I have a 60fps monitor then I am over qualified and can look to other IQ improvement techniques. If I am wanting that 120-144hz chase than I can go g-Sync Or 3300x at my leisure when a game I actually want To play requires it or a monitor deal was so good to pass up and it looks ass at 60hz.

We’re not talking about a CPU that struggles to do 1080p60 here...
You are just using benchmarks numbers to frame a narrative to shit on something without realizing the only people who care are people who want to make a new PC purchase or snobs. Or people who want to make a new purchase but are given an advice from a a snob.

LIKE WHAT??? Dude, this is ridiculous There is around a 5-10% difference at most.

You're now getting into outright lying territory.
Well if he’s talking about a gen 1 1600 vs a 10660 at a benchmark that is made to show CPU strength it could be. But that isn’t a practical test and is disingenuous as fuck.

Since he refuses to provide his evidence basically all I can assume is he’s looking at numbers from a sheet by Gamer’s Nexus which they’ve already given ample caution to reading too much into the stat and he doesn’t want to call himself out.

Is that lying? Maybe. Bad faith? Absolutely. But hey as long as ‘50-100% in some games’ is nebulous he can sit in smugness.

Last edited:

GHG

Here are some real world 1440p benchmarks:

And more:

I'd like to meet these people who spend $2000+ to get high end hardware with a 2080ti only to play at 1080p or below at lower settings.

Must be interesting characters.

Well, they're competitive again at least. I'd still go with AMD at this price point, though. The difference in performance isn't large enough to warrant paying for the more expensive Intel boards.

Ryzen 1000/2000 not aging very well in gaming compared to a 8700k is certainly true. Hardware Unboxed did a great GPU Scaling test a bit back. A R5 2600 basically bottlenecks every GPU above a RX 580 even at 1440p/Ultra settings in their testing. If you plan on buying a RDNA2/Ampere card this fall and you're on a Ryzen 1000/2000 you'll probably want to upgrade your CPU to Zen 3 too.

Avg_1440p_Ultra.png
Or one could say the 2600 is doing work by keeping a value proposition for those who chose to go big on GPU with the idea of a CPU later.

1440p 60 is certainly obtainable and a G-Sync monitor could be a good upgrade instead of new GPU/CPU if we don’t get a glut of games that make a 2070/2080 blush.

That could pave the way for waiting until part refreshes and Intel’s PCIe 4 CPUs to put pressure to AMD before you decide if an upgrade or platform swap is the right call.

nordique

Ryzen 3600
+ better multithread, quite a bit (video editing etc.)
+ cheap
+ silent
+ will run on shittiest 320? 350 and B450 board (after an update)
+ boards are cheap
+ 24 pcie 4.0 lanes
+ comes with a very good fan cooler
- slightly weaker in gaming
- no igpu

+ better in gaming
+ igpu
- requires decent $20 fan cooler
- out of the box bit more noisy than the 3600
- boards more expensive than ryzen
- only 16 pcie 3.0 lanes
- only 2933Mhz vs 3200 to 4400

thanks

this is helpful for someone like me who knows nothing about the AMD vs Intel space

plan to build a pc in thefuture

Kenpachii

problem the ryzen 1000 series had was microstutter and to get performance out of them u had to have high memory performance which was more expensive at the time and boards mostly had lots of issues even eating that. The whole 1000 series CPU line was simple not interesting for gaming u where better off going to intel.

2000 series started to fix this better, but other then rendering and if you really need a budget chip i would not recommend it even remotely because of the same reasons. Also single core performance isn't the greatest.

3000 series is where amd started to get its shit together a bit ( well still horrible launch tho ), They now started to fall in line with the 8000 intel series and are considered far more decent then the other chip series. They make some good budget CPU's that's for sure. Higher end kinda feels utterly useless tho as the performance simple isn't there for gaming to validate there pricing.

Going to be interesting to see where the 4000 series is going to land. they have a shot now at the top. But will they take it who knows.

problem the ryzen 1000 series had was microstutter and to get performance out of them u had to have high memory performance which was more expensive at the time and boards mostly had lots of issues even eating that. The whole 1000 series CPU line was simple not interesting for gaming u where better off going to intel.

2000 series started to fix this better, but other then rendering and if you really need a budget chip i would not recommend it even remotely because of the same reasons. Also single core performance isn't the greatest.

3000 series is where amd started to get its shit together a bit ( well still horrible launch tho ), They now started to fall in line with the 8000 intel series and are considered far more decent then the other chip series. They make some good budget CPU's that's for sure. Higher end kinda feels utterly useless tho as the performance simple isn't there for gaming to validate there pricing.

Going to be interesting to see where the 4000 series is going to land. they have a shot now at the top. But will they take it who knows.

who is going to buy a 12-16 core cpu to game exclusively? The 3900 and 3950 make a lot of sense.
People have to realize that PC is not just playing games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well if he’s talking about a gen 1 1600 vs a 10660 at a benchmark that is made to show CPU strength it could be. But that isn’t a practical test and is disingenuous as fuck.

Since he refuses to provide his evidence basically all I can assume is he’s looking at numbers from a sheet by Gamer’s Nexus which they’ve already given ample caution to reading too much into the stat and he doesn’t want to call himself out.

Is that lying? Maybe. Bad faith? Absolutely. But hey as long as ‘50-100% in some games’ is nebulous he can sit in smugness.
I try and defend Leonidas when possible. Is it accurate to say that in CPU Limited situations that Intel will give you the highest framerates? In most instances, yes. Sure. We can acknowledge that. That has value to ultra competitive gamers who want the highest framerates possible.

But I'd say that many gamers looking to upgrade are looking into 1440p - 4K gaming. That's were Intel's advantage is neglible and in many cases non-existent. The savings of going with AMD that can be put toward a better GPU provide a far greater gaming advantage.

I have not seen any recent gaming benchmarks that show 50% - 100% advantage for Intel. 5-10% in some instances at 1080p? Yes, I see that. The only game where the 10% threshold is approached is with Farcry New Dawn. That game for some reason does not like AMD CPUs. Everything else 5% difference is accurate.

Average_1440p.png

Keep in mind that average is being skewed a little bit by Farcry New Dawn.

Jumping up to 1440p reduces the average frame rate and 1% low margin to just 5%, so while the 10700K is clearly faster for gaming, it’s not that much faster and in most instances you won’t notice the difference.

50% - 100% is straight up bullshit and Leonidas needs to be called out on it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'd like to meet these people who spend $2000+ to get high end hardware with a 2080ti only to play at 1080p or below at lower settings.

Must be interesting characters.
They are. They're competitive gamers.

But that's basically it. I can't think of any other demographic that needs these latest Intel chips. The performance per dollar is just too low.

Reactions: GHG
They are. They're competitive gamers.

But that's basically it. I can't think of any other demographic that needs these latest Intel chips. The performance per dollar is just too low.
And I really like the fact I can run intellij, a kubernetes stack and have Warframe going in the background To market whore or get an alert in between automated tests.

granted NOW I can do that with Intel without devastating the wallet but it wasn’t really an option I was going to commit to prior to Zen fucking with the formula.

Leonidas

LIKE WHAT??? Dude, this is ridiculous There is around a 5-10% difference at most.

You're now getting into outright lying territory.
Even Zen2 is 10-33% behind in a number of games today, Digital Foundry showed that. The 50-100% was for Zen1, read better...

Last edited:
Because the benchmarks are GPU bound, I know that before even clicking on it. Even Zen2 is a bit behind Intel today, if Zen1 is close in those vids it's 100% GPU bound...
Skipped through the vid and saw a lot of current/recent games that require decent hardware. Don't see why these wouldn't be representative for a gaming cup....

But I'm simple minded about this. This winter I'll just check what benches best at 1440p in actual games and buy it.

For 190ish bucks (based on what I’m seeing but correct me if I’m wrong) that seems like pretty solid gaming performance from the 10400. Seems like there’s some great values for very viable gaming CPUs right now

Was just about to post this.

You're better off going with the 10600k if you are only concerned about gaming and would rather go with Intel.
The 10600k is the best looking Intel chip in a long time. And it’s only slightly more expensive than the 10400 AND with an OC it trades blows with best of them.

Reactions: GHG

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Good to see TechYes results from OP hold up.
It always makes sense to go for unlocked CPUs on Intel though, for top tier gaming performance.

Sell your X570 board unless you want to be stuck with 10400-like gaming performance today.
Isn't the premise of this whole thread that 10400 is a better choice over the 3600?

CesarNsnake

Neo Member
It always makes sense to go for unlocked CPUs on Intel though, for top tier gaming performance.

Sell your X570 board unless you want to be stuck with 10400-like gaming performance today.

Only until Zen 3 releases and that X570 gets a BIG boost ;)

Armorian

Banned

They said that 10400 doesn't make any sense as with standard memory clock (that will be on non Z boards) it performs worse than AMD CPUs in almost everything. It's only slighty better on Z boards but with that only logical buy are K CPUs anyway.

Only until Zen 3 releases and that X570 gets a BIG boost ;)

Rumored IPC alone will get them close to Intel but aren't they also changing something in CCX latency?

Last edited:

Leonidas

They said that 10400 doesn't make any sense as with standard memory clock
They also post numbers which backup the OP TLDR. 10400 has lower power and better gaming performance than 3600. Some people made a big deal out of CPU power...

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
It's kind of a bad timing for upgrading the CPU, isn't it? IMO 4C/4T CPUs still offer the best price/performance for playing current-gen titles, while 6C will quite possibly be insufficient once next-gen launches in a couple of months.

shocking news, newly released cpu outmatches 1 year old cpu

Still 14nm vs 7 tho.

Top Bottom