• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel i5 10400/10400F vs. Ryzen 3600.

longdi

Banned
iirc ryzen 2000 is about haswell level
ryzen 3000 is about skylake+ level.
I have them so i know :messenger_bicep:

Intel is impressive that they can scale skylake up to 5.2ghz at 10 cores.
Next month with B550 and 3600XT, i think Amd can get back into the value lead.
10400 cannot overclock unless you buy Z490 and run the ram to 3200.
3600 auto overclock can get you another ~10% uplift

Good to see TechYes results from OP hold up.
It always makes sense to go for unlocked CPUs on Intel though, for top tier gaming performance.

Sell your X570 board unless you want to be stuck with 10400-like gaming performance today.
Your hot takes get better and better...

scydrex

Steve from Hardware Unboxed do not recommend the 10400F because it cost $20 more, the boards are more expensive. The Tomahawk z490 cost $190 and the B450 tomahawk $115 so total is $90. There is not enough difference in gaming and in productivity test the 3600 offers 10% more and the watts are the same. Also the 10400 is locked.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Steve from Hardware Unboxed do no recommend the 10400F because it cost $20, the boards are more expensive. The Tomahawk z490 cost $190 and the B450 tomahawk $115 so total is $90. There is not enough difference in gaming and in productivity test the 3600 offers 10% more and the watts are the same. Also the 10400 is locked.

GamersNexus : Not recommended
Hardware Unboxed: Not recommended
Bitwit: Recommended.

The Gamers Nexus video was an eye opener for this i5 CPU, don't understand why it's been recommended so much.

Once the memory speed was limited to what is expected on the lower end boards, it went from competing with an R5 3600 to having an R3 3300X competing with it.

If you gotta buy a Z490 board & 3200mhz ram for the performance everyone is championing, doesn't that destroy the value argument originally tabled.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Bitwin = Leonidas Leonidas confirmed.
Uhh no. Bitwit is far more objective than Leonidas could ever be. You will never see Bitwit making false claims like "Intel is 50-100% faster" in gaming.

I saw it as Bitwit saying that if you don't care about any of the missing features of the 10400 compared to K series CPUs and want to wait for the less expensive Intel motherboards and can handle cheaper RAM, then sure it's fine. Nobody should be recommending the 10400 paired with a Z490 board since all of the cost savings completely evaporate.

The 3600 is still the best value CPU on the market.
The Gamers Nexus video was an eye opener for this i5 CPU, don't understand why it's been recommended so much.

Once the memory speed was limited to what is expected on the lower end boards, it went from competing with an R5 3600 to having an R3 3300X competing with it.

If you gotta buy a Z490 board & 3200mhz ram for the performance everyone is championing, doesn't that destroy the value argument originally tabled.
Yes, that is completely true, which is why it makes no sense. To save the most money and make the 10400 make any sort of monetary sense, you pretty much have to buy a dead end product.

With a B450 mobo and 3600 combo you still have the option to upgrade to a 4000 series down the line.

GHG

Uhh no. Bitwit is far more objective than Leonidas could ever be. You will never see Bitwit making false claims like "Intel is 50-100% faster" in gaming.

Oh I know, it was just a joke 😉 . It was too easy with the way I was laid out in the post I was replying to.

Armorian

Banned
Consoles can have whatever specs they want. Those specs will always come at a price and are people willing to pay. A console could have a 3950X with an RTX 2080 Ti, but good luck getting people to pay for that.

Even Ryzens in NG consoles are probably laptop parts, stripped off cache compared to desktop CPUs.

Even my gaming laptop i5 9300h paired with a 1660 is a great gaming experience for the 1080p screen attached to it.

Intel laptos will burn a mark on your desktop (or tops of your thighs) in the summer they're so inefficient.

After Ryzen 4800H/HS released recently, it renders every other gaming laptop CPU obsolete. I mean really.

Intel laptos will burn a mark on your desktop (or tops of your thighs) in the summer they're so inefficient.

After Ryzen 4800H/HS released recently, it renders every other gaming laptop CPU obsolete. I mean really.

I’m not going to go out and buy a new laptop/[thing] because something better comes out unless the value proposition isn’t there. I think I’ve made myself abundantly clear on that position at this point.

I can play every game I own just fine on it and there aren’t many games that have been announced that I give two upgrade shits for.

if only they did the same for GPU's sick and tired of those insane team green pricing.

They will get there eventually.

They are better at other tasks and 5-10 fps lower in gaming. Which I believe is inconsequential. Even if you upgrade chip down the line it would be cheaper due to Mobo support amd offers.

Last edited:

-YFC-

Yeah, no.
The i5 is faster about 7 percent in gaming workloads while in production workloads the ryzen chip is better.
3600 is cheaper, you get a great cooler for free, faster memory support and boards are dirt cheap compared to intel boards.
Oh and it's built on 7nm while that i5 is on 14nm ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Power consumption, yeah, Both are 65w tdp chips, and the Intel consumes a whole 2 watts less!!! 2watts. That's huge.

ZrXR08r.jpg

Not to mention it's a cheaper chip, not by a whole much, but still. And also,that i5 will be shredded by the upcoming ryzen 4000 series.
The i5 in OP's post is a new chip while the 3600 has been on the market for awhile. Not a fair comparison and it's an attempt to make AMD look bad, when in reality, this only makes Intel look bad.
OP is an Intel fanboy.

Leonidas

OP is not a fanboy, it's pathetic that people are still accusing him of being one. No surprise that it's usually Neo Members with such accusations (or users butt-hurt over the fact that OP keeps saying that an Intel CPU is faster than any of their Ryzen upgrade options, and will continue saying it for as long as it's true).

OP cares about performance, wants PC gaming to get even better (10 series Intel has done that with lower price for top tier gaming in 10600K) and wishes anyone would beat Skylake derived CPUs, but there is no sign of it happening this year.

If OP appears to be a fanboy it's because one CPU company has been the performance King since OP started posting about PCs.

Here are the facts.

Intel Gaming CPU upgrade path
8700K - OC for top tier gaming performance for 3+ years (no need for upgrades)
9900K - top tier gaming performance for 2+ years (no need for upgrades)
10X00K - top tier gaming performance

Costs
1 time fee of $280-$500 while CPUs retain value. No need for yearly upgrades.

AMD Gaming CPU upgrade path
1800x - much slower than fastest Intel CPUs
2700x - a bit slower than fastest Intel CPUs (upgrade required for improved gaming performance over last Zen CPU)
3900x - still slower than fastest Intel CPUs (upgrade required for improved gaming performance over last Zen CPU)

Cost. Recurring yearly fee of $330-$500 while CPU value also drops dramatically.
AM4 is still chasing years old Intel gaming performance.

Intel is clearly the better option for the best gaming performance.

OP ain't a fanboy. OP has recommended AMD builds in the past despite AMDs deficiencies in gaming.

Last edited:

-YFC-

OP is not a fanboy, it's pathetic that people are still accusing him of being one. No surprise that it's usually Neo Members with such accusations (or users butt-hurt over the fact that OP keeps saying that an Intel CPU is faster than any of their Ryzen upgrade options, and will continue saying it for as long as it's true).

OP cares about performance, wants PC gaming to get even better (10 series Intel has done that with lower price for top tier gaming in 10600K) and wishes anyone would beat Skylake derived CPUs, but there is no sign of it happening this year.

If OP appears to be a fanboy it's because one CPU company has been the performance King since OP started posting about PCs.

Here are the facts.

Costs

2700x - a bit slower than fastest Intel CPUs (upgrade required for improved gaming performance over last Zen CPU)
3900x - still slower than fastest Intel CPUs (upgrade required for improved gaming performance over last Zen CPU)

Cost. Recurring yearly fee of $330-$500 while CPU value also drops dramatically.

OP ain't a fanboy. OP has recommended AMD builds in the past despite AMDs deficiencies in gaming.
You made me laugh by reffering to yourself in third person. So, kudos for that.

-YFC-

No surprise that would amuse someone of your intelligence.
Why resort to insults? I've done nothing to you bro.
I just stated some facts and to me, it's pretty obvious that you're biased towards Intel.
It's all good, we all like different things, but don't insult me.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Why resort to insults? I've done nothing to you bro.
I just stated some facts and to me, it's pretty obvious that you're biased towards Intel.
It's all good, we all like different things, but don't insult me.

You called me a fanboy, which is a lie. Ignore feature activated.

Fanboys are pathetic, as are those who accuse non-fanboys of being one.

One day maybe you'll realize I just prefer the fastest thing. I don't care who makes it.

Last edited:

-YFC-

One day maybe you'll realize I just prefer the fastest thing. I don't care who makes it.
I agree fanboys are pathetic, but since you're part of the master race, you can't be pathetic, it doesn't really matter what side you choose. Amd or intel.
Oh well. Doesn't matter.

FireFly

No new CPU architectures are coming this year?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Costs

What relevance does any of this have on someone buying a new CPU right now? Yes, the 8700 was a great value and yes it still holds up today so great job Intel. But what does that matter today for a shopper today, especially in a thread that's supposed to be about the 10400 vs 3600?

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

I’m with you in this one. Shit, if Burger King all of a sudden got into the semi space and made the best CPU around, I would pick that up.

Intel still manufactures the best CPUs for high-end gaming and VR. I only wish there was even more competition.

RScrewed

No surprise that would amuse someone of your intelligence.

I honestly don't understand why you're still allowed to post here. Don't others get banned for making direct insults like this?

GAF, what's up? The second post was a Mod saying he was here with popcorn. Man, what happened to these boards.

Last edited:
I keep hearing how great the 3600 is well I have a shitty 2600 So fuck to all! I upgraded from an i7 930 OC to 3.7k and I’m sure that 9 year old ass. CPU was better.
Anyway I have a x470 and I’m hoping the Ryzen 4000 series works on it. I plan to get the 4700x and expecting a huge jump.

Knch

I keep hearing how great the 3600 is well I have a shitty 2600 So fuck to all! I upgraded from an i7 930 OC to 3.7k and I’m sure that 9 year old ass. CPU was better.
Anyway I have a x470 and I’m hoping the Ryzen 4000 series works on it. I plan to get the 4700x and expecting a huge jump.
The 2600 is far better in every regard, I have one too and it was a noticeable upgrade from my 4770k.
It should be compatible since they caved after all the complaints. (Make sure to upgrade your bios first.)

Top Bottom