• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Invincible Season 2 has received a new trailer

Draugoth

Gold Member

FINALLY! HE'S BACK! ‍♂️Superhero Mark Grayson (Steven Yeun) is ready and will face new evils, dangers, villains and maybe even his own father to save the Earth from all threats!Starring Steven Yeun, J.K. Simmons, Sandra Oh and Seth Rogen, the second season of #Invincible premieres on November 3rd. Only on Prime Video!

jason10mm

Gold Member
Anyone watching season 2...part 2? I don't really know where this show wants to take Mark as he is the most passive, insufferable hero EVER, but the support cast around him continues to deliver. The ep with the Guardians against the Serpent Society (?) ......gotDAMN that was good stuff. Same with the chubby assistant to Cecil. Or the little bit of Atom Eve we get. Or the cyclops guy. Hell, pretty much every arc NOT about Mark, who seems determined to never improve, never take control of his own destiny, never be a protagonist rather than just a punching bag for whatever viltrumite shows up. Why these nigh unstoppable space aliens have this strange code about wanting to take over Earth but keep ropadoping Mark about it is so strange. Gotta keep the plot going, I guess.

I appreciated the tricks of the trade bit about animation as well in the latest ep, more of that stuff please :p

Anyone watching season 2...part 2? I don't really know where this show wants to take Mark as he is the most passive, insufferable hero EVER, but the support cast around him continues to deliver. The ep with the Guardians against the Serpent Society (?) ......gotDAMN that was good stuff. Same with the chubby assistant to Cecil. Or the little bit of Atom Eve we get. Or the cyclops guy. Hell, pretty much every arc NOT about Mark, who seems determined to never improve, never take control of his own destiny, never be a protagonist rather than just a punching bag for whatever viltrumite shows up. Why these nigh unstoppable space aliens have this strange code about wanting to take over Earth but keep ropadoping Mark about it is so strange. Gotta keep the plot going, I guess.

I appreciated the tricks of the trade bit about animation as well in the latest ep, more of that stuff please :p

The show has at least 5 more seasons if they plan to do a full adapation. Mark has plenty of character development left to go. He's still a kid who only just recently got his powers.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The show has at least 5 more seasons if they plan to do a full adapation. Mark has plenty of character development left to go. He's still a kid who only just recently got his powers.
People keep saying that but as a show, they reaalllyy meed to start giving him agency because he is a weak lead at the moment. The "surprise you have powers!" aspect has worn off but they also don't really show him thinking about tactics, training to enhance his capabilities, and every rando viltrumite ragdolls him, so it's hard to understand their reluctance to just take Earth and get on with whatever master plan they have. I'd rather see Mark outthinking opponents as his 'talent', as it is he just punches and lets bad guys get tired beating on him. Deep into season 2 this seems too long IMHO.

People keep saying that but as a show, they reaalllyy meed to start giving him agency because he is a weak lead at the moment. The "surprise you have powers!" aspect has worn off but they also don't really show him thinking about tactics, training to enhance his capabilities, and every rando viltrumite ragdolls him, so it's hard to understand their reluctance to just take Earth and get on with whatever master plan they have. I'd rather see Mark outthinking opponents as his 'talent', as it is he just punches and lets bad guys get tired beating on him. Deep into season 2 this seems too long IMHO.

have you not watched the last episode?

Ulysses 31

The one with the chick viltrumite that EASILY bodies Mark and casually dispatches a kracken he couldn't even touch?

Yeah, he is basically still where he was in early s1. No smarter, no better, just fly-punch, rinse repeat.
Oof, I liked season 1 and this makes me wanna wait for more season 2 reviews.

You guys always choose the opposite thread to bump when the other one was just a page down on the list lol.
Anyone watching season 2...part 2? I don't really know where this show wants to take Mark as he is the most passive, insufferable hero EVER, but the support cast around him continues to deliver.
The one with the chick viltrumite that EASILY bodies Mark and casually dispatches a kracken he couldn't even touch?

Yeah, he is basically still where he was in early s1. No smarter, no better, just fly-punch, rinse repeat.
This season's finale was literally the turning point you were asking for. The entire season also touched on all of the problems you're discussing.

If you consider Mark up until this point as pre-Cell Gohan, it will all make better sense. He is the harsh reality of Gohan's constant failures and need for constant bailouts by Goku. Except S1 and S2 Mark doesn't have a Goku.

To touch on your training aspect, Mark doesn't even train with anyone. He lone-wolfs everything and only shows up with other people to help them out, then goes back to being a lone wolf. He keeps trying to be a part-time hero high schooler like Spiderman, while constantly denying/not realizing he is more like Sentry or Thor.

But again, everything I'm saying goes to the point of this season. Mark has not been taking things seriously enough and Cecil and Nolan pointed it out multiple times. He had his time to grieve his dad, be with his GF, and mend relationships, but time's up.

jason10mm

Gold Member
You guys always choose the opposite thread to bump when the other one was just a page down on the list lol.

This season's finale was literally the turning point you were asking for. The entire season also touched on all of the problems you're discussing.

If you consider Mark up until this point as pre-Cell Gohan, it will all make better sense. He is the harsh reality of Gohan's constant failures and need for constant bailouts by Goku. Except S1 and S2 Mark doesn't have a Goku.

To touch on your training aspect, Mark doesn't even train with anyone. He lone-wolfs everything and only shows up with other people to help them out, then goes back to being a lone wolf. He keeps trying to be a part-time hero high schooler like Spiderman, while constantly denying/not realizing he is more like Sentry or Thor.

But again, everything I'm saying goes to the point of this season. Mark has not been taking things seriously enough and Cecil and Nolan pointed it out multiple times. He had his time to grieve his dad, be with his GF, and mend relationships, but time's up.
Well, if thats the case (are you talking about an episode 8?) then its about DAMN TIME. Plenty of college aged boys out there serving our country getting it done.

With all the existential threats Mark has been involved with it is just ludicrous that he even attempting college, really. They would need a major de-escalation of the danger and a more episodic vibe to better balance "college shenanigans mixed with part-time hero!" type storytelling. Some of this is school stories just dont appeal to me as much anymore and this show gives it just trivial lip service it's really just a distraction.

Well, if thats the case (are you talking about an episode 8?) then its about DAMN TIME.
Yes, I think you'll find the conclusion holds weight.
Plenty of college aged boys out there serving our country getting it done.
I consider Mark to be, if not the opposite(civilian-minded), then at least someone who wanted to be a firefighter who instead felt like he was drafted into the army. His Dad was selling him the Silver-Age version of heroism, including them literally having a Justice League where they were capturing villains long before those villains could do any type of harm to the team and civilians(compared to the new team who can't do it in time).

When Mark said 'I want to be like you' in Season 1, he literally meant that version of a hero. A person who saves cats out of trees and stops a plane from crashing, not a person who has to fight weekly bloody battles and watch people die in front of him.

Even during season 2 we spent multiple moments seeing him coping with this and the fact that his father killed millions before beating him to a pulp. It was the struggle of him not wanting to accept what was laid before him and not wanting to be a killer like his dad.
With all the existential threats Mark has been involved with it is just ludicrous that he even attempting college, really. They would need a major de-escalation of the danger and a more episodic vibe to better balance "college shenanigans mixed with part-time hero!" type storytelling. Some of this is school stories just don't appeal to me as much anymore and this show gives it just trivial lip service it's really just a distraction.
And this season points out exactly this. He simply can't do both. He keeps trying but it is made clear it cannot happen.

LordOfChaos

To be fair they said she might be stronger than Nolan based on her bone density or something?

But yeah. This season didn't feel like it had the weight of season 1 in general. The last episode was going somewhere, but it was all self contained, an opponent brought in and dispatched in the same episode. Didn't feel it had as strong an arc. Nolan killed so many people in season 1 and even that reunion was just like hey...I fucked a bug.

Last edited:
Episode 8 was great, hit all the right notes. Especially after the teen angst drama of 7.

The villain was terribly underutilized, but it seems like it won't be the last we see of him. Multiversal shenanigans.

It left too many loose ends, though. Sucks we'll be waiting a while for S3.

Jenov

Just finished this yesterday.

Season 2 was a bit boring in comparison to season 1. Partially because Omniman had a lot less screen time and Mark and his gf are repetitive, angsty, boring teens constantly.

They also kept focusing on every minor, lame character ever (who even cared about that one side friend character’s single episode throwaway bf from last season?? ). I did enjoy the alternate dimension bad guy and the idea that in most dimension Mark actually sides with his dad, interesting!

The last special episode with Atom Eve was pretty entertaining though. Looking forward to next season hoping for more Omniman, less minor character focus, and some actual Mark character growth.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yes, I think you'll find the conclusion holds weight.

And this season points out exactly this. He simply can't do both. He keeps trying but it is made clear it cannot happen.
So, finished s2ep8 and FINALLY Mark has a bit of a come to Jesus moment that ANY attempt to "live a normal life" when you can fly, travel through space, punch through a (small) planet, are constantly the ONLY ONE able to stop repetitive existential threats to Earth, and because you kinda suck at managing your personal life are seeing your loved ones, tender nigh transparent meat beings that they are, be put into mortal danger, is just a pipe dream. Took the kid a whiiiiile to get there, but hopefully we will see him start to develop ANY sort of tactical sense beyond "get mad, make OBVIOUS charge DIRECTLY at opponent, and either hit or be hit, over and over". There is the usual comic trap of "you either have no effect on the bad guy or you kill them" leaving virtually no middle ground of "Imma just gonna break portal guys arms and legs, blind him, and crack a dozen ribs and see how spry he is" but that's ok, he admitted he thought Levy was tougher and that 10 hammer fists to the head wouldn't kill him.

Very displeased he STILL can't commit, one way or the other, to Eve, especially after future Eve made such a plea to tell her past self SOMETHING. I don't feel like the Amber relationship was so strong that he just can't move on, nor the Eve relationship so weak that she isn't an obvious rebound girl, if not clear partner or at least permanent friend zone and he could tell her so.

Anyway, the hyperviolence and attempt to tackle more mature concepts just exposes the other silly tropes we get with superhero stuff. Like a dozen guys with rifles running in, mostly to just be fodder for whatever bad guy is in there. When have those guys EVER been effective? And why do they keep sending them in? Who signs up for that job? It looks cool, but from an adult perspective its blatantly obvious the writers never really thought much about how the world would ACTUALLY respond to these psycho supers and is still just playing off tropes from a more juvenile focused worldbuilding where wholesale slaughter just doesn't happen.

The "I don't kill" mantra is another hold over from that stuff. It's fine as a moral lesson for children, but doesn't really hold up for adults, many of whom DO have to weigh killing another human to defend their own, be they police, military, or just a homeowner responding to a noise downstairs at 2 o'clock. Why does Mark HAVE to be Earths protector, and why can't he balance his distasteful crime fighting with massive reconstruction efforts, helping exploration, and other things (Eve seems like she sorta went down that path) which is how regular humans often deal with job stress?

Anyway, still on board but I just hope we get a bit more plot and story and less Mark whining and being reluctant to commit to ANYTHING with S3.

Finally got the time to binge it. I'm actually starting to like some of the changes from the book. Season 2 Amber makes up for the terrible season 1 Amber and I might actually like her better than comic Amber (not hard to do but season 1 Amber was really bad). Still glad that that part of the story is finally over, mostly, probably. And I couldn't believe that they actually adapted the spidey crossover. Although the multiverse joke kinda missed the last movie by a few years.

Also, I was expecting the costume change to go along with the title change but eh, the blue and yellow is iconic anyway. I guess it's going to happen at the start of S3 then back to the classic by the mid-season.

gow3isben

His girlfriend side story was the only boring part of a solid season. Enjoyed it.

Still like Castlevania Blood of Zeus and Dota Dragon’s Blood more though.

Top Bottom