• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

AngryMoth

This doesn't feel like a big upgrade really compared to previous years, a bunch of small things but no major changes to the OS. Despite the lack of rumours I was really hoping they'd do live icons, but I guess we'll have to wait until the new iPhone to get any widget action. Can't help but feel we aren't seeing the full version of iOS6 today. The other thing I hoped they do is open up the Siri api but seems like it could be another years wait on that front.

KingKong

I don't get the appeal of Siri, do you really want to talk to your phone in public? The only place I could see using it is in your car, and even then it's just kind of slow and annoying when it screws up

Sean

Banned
Looks like...

the App Store...

The store hasn't been updated on the server side yet, only the UI (black, new toolbar) so far. Here's how it will look:

more_stores.png

apple-wwdc-2012-_0980_gallery_post_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpeg

Much sexier than the gray.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Devices updated to iOS 6 beta can not be restored to earlier versions of iOS. Registered development devices will be able to upgrade to future beta releases and the final iOS 6 software.

I'm updating anyway. Here goes.

The thing is, Apple has so many iOS users that users of other platform are the niche. So each iOS update is designed to make the experience even better for those who have already bought in because the ones who haven't are most likely looking for something fundamentally different.

Im of the belief for the most part that a high-end smartphone is just that, a high-end smartphone.

All of which are capable of doing damn near the same shit, regardless of how you go about accomplishing that goal.

Hey, I have the internet in my pocket at damn near all times. Thats really all it boils down to.

I dont need a stupid app to make shit "easier" because its already easy.

If it wasnt they probably would have redesigned the internet some time ago.

Everything else is just fluff.

dream

Im of the belief for the most part that a high-end smartphone is just that, a high-end smartphone.

All of which are capable of doing damn near the same shit, regardless of how you go about accomplishing that goal.

Hey, I have the internet in my pocket at damn near all times. Thats really all it boils down to.

So if that's the case, what would you need to see from Apple before you buy an iPhone?

So you're okay with the same experience in time? What about the evolution of using the internet?

KtSlime

You know that the Internet is not limited to what you see in Internet Explorer/Chrome/FireFox right?

What are you even on about?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

You sound like one of my office mates. He never understands why you need any app on a smartphone besides a web browser...

So if that's the case, what would you need to see from Apple before you buy an iPhone?

I dont know, something that makes me say wow.

Something I feel that I couldnt do on a different phone.

But as you can probably tell, Im much more hardware oriented, the iPhone5 has a good chance to wow me, but seeing as how I have been using 4g for about a year now, thats a huge hardware feature that they will be promoting, while Ill be laughing.

You sound like one of my office mates. He never understands why you need any app on a smartphone besides a web browser...

Thats funny, because you dont.

bionic77

I know most people want this but this was never a must have feature for me.

Both of my cars have built in GPS and I prefer to use those.

MThanded

But as you can probably tell, Im much more hardware oriented, the iPhone5 has a good chance to wow me, but seeing as how I have been using 4g for about a year now, thats a huge hardware feature that they will be promoting, while Ill be laughing.
Hows that battery life. Phones have had 4g for quite a while now and the chipsets are power hungry. I'm assuming whatever is going to be in the iPhone5 will be much more power conscious.

Thats funny, because you dont.
You also don't need a smartphone. So lets keep going. You don't need a cellphone at all. Or a phone at all for that matter. Quit it.

MThanded

The razr Max out lasts an iPhone 4s no?
I remember that from the razrs launch but I never heard or saw anything else about it. I believe you I just never saw the graphs or charts. Point a brother in the right direction.

Futureman

Hows that battery life. Phones have had 4g for quite a while now and the chipsets are power hungry. I'm assuming whatever is going to be in the iPhone5 will be much more power conscious.

RAZR MAXXXXXXXXXX has been out for months, has 4G, and will have better battery life than iPhone 5.

I love both ecosystems, probably going w/ an iPhone next, but yea.

You also don't need a smartphone. So lets keep going. You don't need a cellphone at all. Or a phone at all for that matter. Quit it.

Derp, to have the internet in my pocket, what route do you suggest I go then?

It is funny how you chose that direction for your argument against myself and your coworker saying you dont need apps. Rather than making an argument about an app you actually do feel you need, you say no one needs a smartphone.

I have the regular razr and my battery has never died before a full days use.

MThanded

Going from a 4 to a 4S I've noticed a significant drop.

I never got to experience the 4. I have heard that they took a hit. Personally, I wasn't willing to switch from Sprint for an iPhone. If it never came to Sprint I probably would still be using an Android device.

giga

Everyone is too excited in the main thread so I never got an answer.

Does ios nav have walk, bus or train navigation?
Check out the end of the keynote video where he's discussing new APIs. Specifically, they're opening the maps API for transit apps like hiking, public transit, and so on.

7jQwU.png

^ Native rich text support on text fields is huge. You don't have any more excuses to not build a native fb app now Zuck!

http://log.scifihifi.com/post/16834335332/a-plea-for-better-ios-text-facilities

Lkr

I never got to experience the 4. I have heard that they took a hit. Personally, I wasn't willing to switch from Sprint for an iPhone. If it never came to Sprint I probably would still be using an Android device.

so we both get to experience our iPhones on a painfully slow data provider? :')

SRG01

If anything, Canada should go faster. Interac caught on way faster here than American debit cards did, and with only 5(-8, if you include the minis) major banks, consensus and cooperation seems easier to obtain. I recognize that I'm impatient or entitled or unrealistic, but it never ceases to irk me when technology exists and fucking bureaucratic inertia prevents people from taking advantage of it.

To be quite honest, that was during an era when commercial banking was still somewhat segregated from investment banking. The banks needed an alternate stream of revenue and, coupled with a small number of viable banks compared to the US, it's no wonder why Interac took off like it did.

The problem with NFC is that everyone wants to monetize their own systems. It's similar to the SD/xD/CF wars because everyone wants their own way to do it.

Market larger than US and EU combined + their largest carrier has 660 million subscribers + massive massive YoY growth + the country now makes billions of dollars for Apple. A no-brainer.

Yeah but Apple stuff already worked in China... it's not like they are just entering the world's biggest market. I don't get the focus, sorry. Must be somehow, someway political /tinfoil.

MThanded

so we both get to experience our iPhones on a painfully slow data provider? :')
The 5 comes out with LTE support on sprint then im upgrading day one for sure. I preferred slower data over changing to worse plan pricing.

Yeah but Apple stuff already worked in China... it's not like they are just entering the world's biggest market. I don't get the focus, sorry. Must be somehow, someway political /tinfoil.
Just because the phone worked does not mean that all the wanted features worked.

Lkr

The 5 comes out with LTE support on sprint then im upgrading day one for sure. I preferred slower data over changing to worse plan pricing.

same here on both accounts although who knows when i'll get LTE in my area. at least sprint network vision is supposed to be coming to my area soon enough though, hopefully the 3G won't be as painfully slow anymore

iPhone 4 owners will have to stick with Waze.

Wait, did I miss something? Turn by turn does not work on the 4, but everything else outside of Siri does?

EDIT: From Apple site: "Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply."

Lame. Guess I will be upgrading from the 4 sooner than anticipated.

Oppo

So you put absolutely zero value in either hardware or software design. A rare position to take. I wish you luck with your cart of Cray chips.

pazuzu9 said:
Darker OS.... early preparation for OLED power conservation?
LOL.

Lkr

So you put absolutely zero value in either hardware or software design. A rare position to take. I wish you luck with your cart of Cray chips.

who needs more than 200mhz, windows 95, IE 4, and Office 95? I sure as hell don't, it is still the same thing!

Top Bottom