• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

So my question would be, for international travel and dead zones, will apple maps have an offline mode or will I still want to have bloated and horrible dedicated map apps like navigon with local storage modes for maps?

I wonder as well. Would love offline support. Just load up the maps before a trip and go!

Kisaya

Man this is going to be so great on the iPad. Wish I could say the same for the iPhone if I had one :( Nonetheless still very excited ;3

elsk

Banned
So my question would be, for international travel and dead zones, will apple maps have an offline mode or will I still want to have bloated and horrible dedicated map apps like navigon with local storage modes for maps?

Google Maps is going to use the offline mode in the next version IIRC, but not sure if they're going to include turn by turn

minx

Pretty disappointing. This along with the rumored "longer" screen Iphone 5 have simply not impressed me at all. Going to be getting a GS3 next week. So long Apple. It was a good run.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
There's a unified Privacy menu in Settings that groups together Location Services and apps that have requested access to your Contacts, Calendars, Reminders and Photos with the option to turn them on/off on app basis via sub-menues. Very nice.

Appstore apps seem to be updated server side now with the new layouts.

buhdeh

I hope they unify the look of the "tabs" at the bottom...

AvIw3FPCMAIeDbR.png

AvIxtAzCAAAZKFO.jpg

btkadams

Gah my developer account expired 3 days ago, hence the dead links.

I offered up spots last year by donation and am willing to do the same again.
PM me your UDID and I will send Paypal info.

you don't necessarily have to respond, but can anyone explain how this works? are we able to use our existing appleID on the devices despite using your dev os?

also, where is my udid? i have a 4s and a 3rd gen ipad.

Seems like some pretty nice UI refinements all across the board with this one, and there's probably more to come.

Apple is really good at refining with each iteration rather than going balls out like MS and Google.

Goldrush

Now that iphone have a built in turn by turn solution, I wonder if google will bring the feature to the iphone google map/earth app?

Vyer

Laid out like that, while obviously not the UI complete redesign some are bothered over, there are quite a few changes.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apple selects TomTom as primary iOS 6 maps provider

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-tomtom-ios-6-maps/

Been wondering exactly which data service is replacing Google as Apple's map provider? According to these leaked screenshots (shown above) from the iOS 6 developer beta running on an iPhone 4S, it appears to be TomTom. The company is no stranger to iOS, as its navigation app and car kit have been available on the iPhone since 2009. On an interesting note, the maps application specifically mentions "data from TomTom, others," which means there may be other suppliers that aren't getting called out by name. We'll keep you posted as we hear more what's going on behind-the-scenes.

Update: TomTom has independently confirmed to us that it indeed "has signed a global agreement with Apple for maps and related information."

GatorBait

Woah...wait, is it FREE turn-by-turn navigation?

The only things that I have really kept me away from the iPhone and with Android has been Google Voice (which iOS did not have an app for for a long time) and free turn-by-turn. I may be looking very hard at an iPhone 5 now.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Why did apple drop google to begin with?

Apple is missing a big feature that has been baked into Android for a while now: Turn-by-turn directions.

One reason Apple doesn't have turn-by-turn is that it doesn't own its own maps database, according to Dr. Ed Lu, a former astronaut who did data gathering for Google on its maps and Google Earth products, as well as street view and other imaging. He's now working on a 3D mapping company, Hover.

Lu said that Google couldn't include turn-by-turn directions on Android phones until it had control of its own mapping database. The companies that provide databases wouldn't let Google do it, because it was a threat to their business.

Likewise, when Apple wanted to get access to the data to do its own thing with maps, Google was equally difficult.

Lu cautioned that he wasn't directly involved in conversations between Apple and Google, and his information was "third hand," but he said Apple's relationship with Google deteriorated over what Apple wanted to do with Google maps. He wouldn't provide more details on what Apple wanted to do.
Regardless, he said it led to what we have today, which is Apple reportedly prepared to launch its own maps. If Apple has its own database powering its new maps, then it might offer turn-by-turn directions, thus eliminating one big Android advantage.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-maps-with-turn-by-turn-directions-2012-6#ixzz1xWjyZJfw
Seems plausible

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Apple dropping Google Maps is gonna cost Google some advertising bucks isn't it?

i don't think Google got any ad hits from Maps, so no. though it used Google's data, Maps was an Apple application, which is why it never became feature-compatible to the Android version. Google mentioned they're going to explore porting their Android Maps app to iOS, but who knows whether Apple will approve it. if they can, it's win-win for everyone.

pxleyes

Banned
It would not surprise me if more ios 6 updates are still under wraps. When the new phone is announced, they may unveil more updates including some revamped UI work. I bet digging through the beta files will yield some of that.

Appleman

Just fired it up, blue status bar in apps with the "light" theme? Looks kind of bad

If anyone has any questions that they want me to check out, lemme know.

This is my position. And notifications still blow big chunks of donkey balls on iOS compared to Android. Sorry, Apple, you can't just keep this static boring ass UI forever. Time to innovate.

What's wrong with the iOS UI? Apple is all about consistency, beauty and speed. They are never going to allow widgets on the home screen.

It would not surprise me if more ios 6 updates are still under wraps. When the new phone is announced, they may unveil more updates including some revamped UI work. I bet digging through the beta files will yield some of that.

Further UI changes are more likely to come in later betas, rather than being hidden in this one.

Oh yeah, there's definitely some mysterious stuff going around:

U2wqq.png

Just fired it up, blue status bar in apps with the "light" theme? Looks kind of bad
Definitely looks bad, I think they'll remove it.

Ovid

You gotta be shitting me!? Not compatible with 1st Gen iPad!? WTF!!!!! Early adopters screwed, again.

I still love Apple though.

So jelly right now.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just noticed, the notification center now has "tap to post" (facebook) and "tap to tweet" buttons accessible from anywhere as widgets similar to weather/stocks.

bananas

Banned
You gotta be shitting me!? Not compatible with 1st Gen iPad!? WTF!!!!! Early adopters screwed, again.

I still love Apple though.

So jelly right now.

It'll be almost two years since they stopped selling the original iPad when iOS 6 releases. It's not surprising.

Talon

Google and Apple are now mortal enemies, it's kind of tricky though since Googlers love Apple products so much.
It's not even just that. They're competitors, and Google is making a ton of money off iOS with location data, search, etc. Apple clearly wants to wean itself from that as much as it can.

Siri's limited now, but, in the grand scheme of things, it's core to Apple's future strategy. Think about it - the more robust the hooks get with Siri into other applications and services, it skips over Google. Instead of going to Google to search for a restaurant or a sports score, you'll be able to find a Yelp review for the nearest Sushi places around you. Or find out the score of the Braves game.

The fact that they have Facebook and Twitter integration baked into iOS 6 is a huge step. Google's efforts with social have failed insofar. That integration onto a platform that (for some reason) has higher engagement than Android (based on Google's own admission - search volume from iOS vs. Android) will further entrench those two players.

Appleman

Are we not supposed to have 3D buildings yet?

Also the "New" banner on unopened apps is pretty neat.

EDIT: Fuck. Transit where I live doesn't work on the Apple maps app. Deal breaker until the GMaps App is released

Who said anything about widgets? The Apple UI is stale as fuck.

Oh, when you said static I thought you were complaining about lack of a competitor to widgets/live tiles.

I disagree with the UI being stale. Overall it looked good from the beginning, and lots of stuff has been changed - folders, multitasking, wallpapers etc. See the new store changes for just one recent example.

Appleman

Only select cities as of yet have actual buildings, height maps should ve almost everywhere though.

Not getting buildings when I'm browsing Lower Manhattan, I figured that would be there...

Fuck yeah on the Siri functionality updates for Canada though

KtSlime

This is my position. And notifications still blow big chunks of donkey balls on iOS compared to Android. Sorry, Apple, you can't just keep this static boring ass UI forever. Time to innovate.

I don't understand this position. We are simply talking about the navigation bar, and the tab bar at the bottom correct? Pretty much most all third party apps are custom themed, and the blue remains in what amount to nothing more than a handful of apps - and the number is shrinking with each release. Does the blue in Settings really bother people that much?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Are we not supposed to have 3D buildings yet?

Also the "New" banner on unopened apps is pretty neat.

EDIT: Fuck. Transit where I live doesn't work on the Apple maps app. Deal breaker until the GMaps App is released

nextbus.com

edit: oshit but route finding... nooooo *cries*

Appleman

nextbus.com

edit: oshit but route finding... nooooo *cries*

I honestly think that the Maps app, especially route finding was my most used feature on my phone period.

Kind of a bummer, but I'm sure they'll work on it. The maps app in general will take some getting used to

So why should I use apple maps over w/e nav software I've been using for the past few years?

Does this have text to speech? Are map data cached on the phone?

Weenerz

Banned
Wish I found find a faster download of the beta for my 4s, I have between 2 hours and 2 days left on this download =/

Top Bottom