• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

their whole focus on facebook integration.. tabs and history working through multiple devices.. "lost mode", "do not disturb" option, replying with a text message..

these are all things i've been doing for quite a while now

granted, iOS implementation always ends up being really snappy, slick-looking and really stable, but I really thought some of these features were already available on the previous build..

They weren't but there were apps that accomplished all of this. Now it's being implemented into the iOS.

Appleman

Does anyone have an image of the maps showing a big american city like NYC?

Gulp...

553425e116fa515b290a363e83cb94a3a2d73842.jpg

NJ Shlice

When you search for a location, the green icon immediately give you directions to it from your current location (choice of 3 routes still.)

Nice tough. Not having to click disclosure button, get directions, current location

BKU81.jpg

New maps is definitely low on info density but it's clean and has some obvious perks*.

Installed this puppy onto my iPhone today. Loving most things so far. Can't get over the touch-tone keypad color scheme though. Reminds me of when something goes wrong on Windows and the colors flip out on you.

*if you have an iPhone 4S. iPhone 4 users like myself are finally fucked

Sean

Banned
I'm willing to bet it was an intentional design decision to not have 'information overload' by showing you every single street. Not saying I agree with that decision, but surely manhattan would be fully mapped out.

Can you try zooming in further to see if more information would appear?

Appleman

I also have no idea how to get the Turn-By-Turn working, is it not in this beta?

Installed this puppy onto my iPhone today. Loving most things so far. Can't get over the touch-tone keypad color scheme though. Reminds me of when something goes wrong on Windows and the colors flip out on you.

Yeah, I hate it actually...

frico

So my phone is registered as a dev device but I am getting an error message before it even installs iOS 6. It says the selected device is not eligible for the selected build. Does anyone know what tha means?

Appleman

Can anybody remember if there was anything above the clock in the status bar pre-iOS6? Looks strangely empty for some reason...

EDIT: Yep, it was an icon of a lock

Click "Start"

It just gives me regular thumb-through directions with the new interface as opposed to that low down angled view in the promo shots...

bananas

Banned
So my phone is registered as a dev device but I am getting an error message before it even installs iOS 6. It says the selected device is not eligible for the selected build. Does anyone know what tha means?

Did you download the correct version of iOS 6 for your device? The are multiple versions

iPod touch 4th gen
iPhone 4S
iPhone 4 GSM
iPhone 4 CDMA
iPhone 3GS
iPad 2 WiFi
iPad 2 GSM
iPad 2 CDMA
iPad 3 WiFi
iPad 3 LTE

LCfiner

Does anyone seriously care about Siri?

Well, Apple does.

But, really, with Apple confirming that the vital “local search” stuff will now expand internationally with iOS6, Siri will be more useful and I’ll care about it more than I do now.

Now it’s just for reminders and calendar events. I can’t use it for anything else, really.

frico

Did you download the correct version of iOS 6 for your device? The are multiple versions

iPod touch 4th gen
iPhone 4S
iPhone 4 GSM
iPhone 4 CDMA
iPhone 3GS
iPad 2 WiFi
iPad 2 GSM
iPad 2 CDMA
iPad 3 WiFi
iPad 3 LTE

I am starting to wonder if downloading the wrong file. I have an iPhone 4s. I downloaded the file for iPhone 4,1 build 10A5316k.

Does anyone seriously care about Siri?

Hell yeah. If they can keep improving on her recognition and ability to put together a search algorithm based on my questions then it would save tons of time.

Can you imagine her doing tiered searches on her own:
"Siri, what states were the last 10 US Presidents born in"

"Siri, What percentage of the time does Tiger Woods place in the top 5 when leading after 3 rounds?"

ts91

Neo Member
It just gives me regular thumb-through directions with the new interface as opposed to that low down angled view in the promo shots...[/QUOTE]

IIRC set the directions, then press 3D which allows you to use pan around to the low down angle then press start?

I would double check however I'm in bed and my phone is 2 yards away and its like the arctic outside of this duvet.

kinggroin

Banned
They weren't but there were apps that accomplished all of this. Now it's being implemented into the iOS.

Eh, yeah you could get all these supplementary apps to make up for missing features, but without modularity (like android), its a half assed disjointed mess. Just not a very efficient way of doing things.

Glad to see that Apple realizes that to an extent and is opening up with these new APIs and continuing to add the features to their OS you would otherwise need an app for. I think unless Google IO really blows everyone away with some space-age futuristic shit, by IOS 7, we will see full parity between the two biggest mobile operating systems. At that point, I'm switching (unless Google can get their shit together).

I got it installed but my wifi is not working. It's completely greyed out in the system preferences. I can't turn it on or off. I am trying to do a restore.

Appleman

IIRC set the directions, then press 3D which allows you to use pan around to the low down angle then press start?

I would double check however I'm in bed and my phone is 2 yards away and its like the arctic outside of this duvet.

Nope, still just the manual ones...

Much better looking. Still not sure why some apps have blue status bar and some black.

Anything that still uses the bluish "day" theme from before has the blue bar, silver/black themed ones have the black bar. (There also seems to be a weird dark blue one, but that might be a bug.

TehOh

Does Maps still have public transit/walking options? I use those all the time (and use a real GPS when in a car).

Appleman

Does Maps still have public transit/walking options? I use those all the time (and use a real GPS when in a car).

Yep, but I think the transit options are more limited now without Google's transit data.

The new app also apparently can't find me directions between here and the Empire State Building, so I don't know what's up with that

Top Bottom