• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Looks cool I guess. Nothing too compelling or interesting really.

Will wait for jailbreak as usual. Though by then (when my contract expires) I may just have an iPhone 5/Android.

Maxim726X

Perhaps the wrong thread to ask this question... But what's the latest on the next iPhone?

I'm loving my phone now, but if they make the next iteration bigger, I'd have to seriously consider trading up.

bananas

Banned
Perhaps the wrong thread to ask this question... But what's the latest on the next iPhone?

I'm loving my phone now, but if they make the next iteration bigger, I'd have to seriously consider trading up.

It will have a 3.99 inch 1136x640 screen. New design. Comes out in the Fall.

I really wish we could hide apps from our home screen. With iOS 6 we're only getting more apps cluttering our screen that we'll probably never (rarely) use.

^megaton giga.

ts91

Neo Member
Just updated my handset.

- Not sure if im digging the blue tint on bars.
- Maps is sweet, it's much needed to fend off app purchases however being in the UK will most likely result in never getting 3D images :(
- Passbook just stays on this screen, again something that the UK may never get.
- I just tried Siri, I had to use the word soccer (oh god :() and it will pick up the scores for the domestic league, however not the Euros (maybe asking a bit too much).

If anyone wants me to try something and report back feel free to ask!

PLGVQ.png

UyZ7P.png

I haven't put iOS 6 on my iPad however I'm going to guess it still won't include the native calculator app :mad:

guise

I need to see what the playback controls on the lock screen look like. Please for the love of god have spaced them out a bit.

NZer

If anyone wants me to try something and report back feel free to ask!

Would you be able to show me a screenshot in the new Maps app for 297 Queen St, Auckland, New Zealand? Perhaps zoomed in a little as well? Cheers

Appleman

So they're taking away google maps and giving us non-USA folk a gimped version of maps? Just like they did with Siri? Gimped maps is a much bigger deal than gimped Siri for me. No transit for Toronto sucks.

Yep, it's pretty awful. At least we have Siri parity now, but we've gotta wait for the official GMaps app which will no doubt have a different interface than the iOS one we're used to

Yep, it's pretty awful. At least we have Siri parity now, but we've gotta wait for the official GMaps app which will no doubt have a different interface than the iOS one we're used to
Is Siri in the beta fully functional for Canada then? That's good news at least. Still don't know if I want to download the beta. Will wait for more impressions.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is notification screen different? I think someone said you can send to facebook/twitter from that screen or whatever. Screen cap it.

Zizbuka

Banned
I would say that I hope Passbook gets updated with fuller capabilities. It's embarrassing that phones didn't replace wallets in 1999. My wallet actually just wore out, and I have three basic choices:
- Buy a shitty mall-world $20 wallet, which will be shitty
- Buy a proper, designer wallet like this one for $50+, but still have the nagging feeling that I'd rather not have a wallet at all.
- Hope that iPhone 5 or upcoming Android phones really get on the ball with revolutionizing this industry so I can just use my damn phone.

I don't want to carry membership cards. I don't want to carry receipts. I don't want to carry bank cards or credit cards. I don't want to carry ID. None of these things are imbued with any inherent functionality that can't be duplicated by a phone. Edit: Naturally, the other major use of a wallet, to show obnoxious family photos no one else wants to see, is already possible with my phone.

I use an Android app called Key Ring all the time. Obviously, it can't be swiped, but any card that can be scanned works. I assume that app's on ios too?

I'm really excited by the updated maps. It still surprises me how bare-bones the app is right now. Meanwhile, my friends' phones can do so much more (like giving audible directions and other GPS features) it actually made me think about switching phones for a bit.

Luckily it won't come to that. :)

Futureman

is that tweet and FB thing in the notification bar even if you don't use those services? Seems kinda weird to take up space like that. And what do those do... just bring up generic, empty text boxes for Twitter and FB?

what looks useless Guise?

I've been waiting for better maps and turn by turn directiosn for so long. It's great to see it finally appear. I use my phone more than the TomTom.

Salsa

As an Android user can I honestly say that im surprised about some of these new features not being available before and making it in just now? honestly surprised at people reporting some of these new features as something exciting when I've been taking them for granted for years..

Not trying to pull a fanboy card or anything (I know about a lot of advantages that each different phone OS offers, my choice is my choice but I dont carry the google flag, not at all) really, just speaking my mind. Everything shown was still very cool.

edit: then again, its probably fair to say that some of these uses were available through third-party apps instead of system based ones?

LCfiner

So they're taking away google maps and giving us non-USA folk a gimped version of maps? Just like they did with Siri? Gimped maps is a much bigger deal than gimped Siri for me. No transit for Toronto sucks.

Well it's possible that it would be ready in time for the actual launch but not 3 or 4 months early.

Either way, that's enough for me to Stay Away from the beta.

As an Android user can I honestly say that im surprised about some of these new features not being available before and making it in just now? honestly surprised at people reporting some of these new features as something exciting when I've been taking them for granted for years..

Not trying to pull a fanboy card or anything (I know about a lot of advantages that each different phone OS offers, my choice is my choice but I dont carry the google flag, not at all) really, just speaking my mind. Everything shown was still very cool.

edit: then again, its probably fair to say that some of these uses were available through third-party apps instead of system based ones?

which ones in particular? there are a lot of things that Apple doesn't do first, voice assistance for example, but when they do it usually ends up being the best implementation of it

Would you be able to show me a screenshot in the new Maps app for 297 Queen St, Auckland, New Zealand? Perhaps zoomed in a little as well? Cheers

Yay another Kiwi. You gonna take the leap to iOS6 Beta?

I'm wondering if Siri will be better for NZ. I have a 99% success rate with her understanding me (perfect for texting while driving) but it's annoying that she can't search for local stuff.

LCfiner

Apple maps vs google maps (UK)

AvJKk-rCQAAWFaZ.png

They look useless.[/QUOTE

Yikes. Information density is really bad. Useful stuff like one way streets isn't shown either. Looks harder to read with the lack of colors.

Not sure how I feel about the new Music app...

99814d26c294b28aebafa03e2380bf022469ef88.jpg

This I'm ok with, actually. Can you check if they've added a scrubber along the side for the playlists? Right now you can only use the alphabet scrubber for artists and albums.

Salsa

which ones in particular? there are a lot of things that Apple doesn't do first, voice assistance for example, but when they do it usually ends up being the best implementation of it

their whole focus on facebook integration.. tabs and history working through multiple devices.. "lost mode", "do not disturb" option, replying with a text message..

these are all things i've been doing for quite a while now

granted, iOS implementation always ends up being really snappy, slick-looking and really stable, but I really thought some of these features were already available on the previous build..

Appleman

Looking pretty barren...

EDIT: Just realized it wasn't showing the street number but I tried again and got the same thing.

This I'm ok with, actually. Can you check if they've added a scrubber along the side for the playlists? Right now you can only use the alphabet scrubber for artists and albums.

Nope, still just the > arrow on the sides

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

AvJKk-rCQAAWFaZ.png

They look useless.[/QUOTE

Yikes. Information density is really bad. Useful stuff like one way streets isn't shown either. Looks harder to read with the lack of colors.

the fonts could be explained, hopefully, by the left being an iPad screenshot and the right an iPhone. the presentation layer is a huge problem, though. i'm sure the data exists in OpenMaps, it's just how Apple chooses to style/display the information. right now it's very lean.

NJ Shlice

is that tweet and FB thing in the notification bar even if you don't use those services? Seems kinda weird to take up space like that. And what do those do... just bring up generic, empty text boxes for Twitter and FB?

what looks useless Guise?

No. If you don't have your login information stored in settings it doesn't give an option.

tfur

AvJKk-rCQAAWFaZ.png

They look useless.

I think there will be a disparity for a while, if Apple totally drops all of Google map data. You cannot make up the data that Google has collected with its cars, street view, collection time and now planes.

Also, I have seen complaints of accuracy issues with Tom Tom. I believe more so than Google.

It's a nice addition, but I am glad Google is making a map app for iOS.

Top Bottom