• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

kinggroin

Banned
Mapping was one significant advantage Android had over iOS. In fact, probably the most significant advantage that didn't boil down to a preference one way or the other--ie widgets.

With iOS6, Apple is both fixing that gulf (by implementing the features Android has had for a while), making it easier for them to iterate on mapping later (by moving to their own technologies rather than being limited by Google), and introduced a few unique tweaks that might make Apple's implementation the best.

So, looking at this objectively, you don't understand why that would be a bullet point?

The previous application did, and it'd be a pretty huge step back if this one didn't.

Thanks for the answer. I only ask since that was Google maps I believe, and this new nav is all Apple's. Its not a complete deal breaker as I only.visit NY twice a year, but damn does it help when I'm there.

Weenerz

Banned
So for real, Bob are you going to do it? I've already seen a bunch of dudes that want it. Post your paypal for donations :p

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Obviously, but it's still inexcusable I had to wait till fall 2012 for turn by turn on my phone
If it was such a deal breaker you probably should have jumped ship a while back.

I thought google explicitly said that apple could not use their maps to do turn by turn. My memory may be off but I thought there was some limitation.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I would say that I hope Passbook gets updated with fuller capabilities. It's embarrassing that phones didn't replace wallets in 1999. My wallet actually just wore out, and I have three basic choices:
- Buy a shitty mall-world $20 wallet, which will be shitty
- Buy a proper, designer wallet like this one for $50+, but still have the nagging feeling that I'd rather not have a wallet at all.
- Hope that iPhone 5 or upcoming Android phones really get on the ball with revolutionizing this industry so I can just use my damn phone.

I don't want to carry membership cards. I don't want to carry receipts. I don't want to carry bank cards or credit cards. I don't want to carry ID. None of these things are imbued with any inherent functionality that can't be duplicated by a phone. Edit: Naturally, the other major use of a wallet, to show obnoxious family photos no one else wants to see, is already possible with my phone.

Double D

My3G is the only reason I have my 4S jailbroken. And the only two applications I use this for are Facetime, and the App Store (downloading files over 20MB). Really, all they need to let me do is queue files from the App store. I have no problem downloading them later, I just want to be able to buy them whenever I want.

bananas

Banned
I would say that I hope Passbook gets updated with fuller capabilities. It's embarrassing that phones didn't replace wallets in 1999. My wallet actually just wore out, and I have three basic choices:
- Buy a proper, designer wallet like this one for $50+, but still have the nagging feeling that I'd rather not have a wallet at all.
- Hope that iPhone 5 or upcoming Android phones really get on the ball with revolutionizing this industry so I can just use my damn phone.

I don't want to carry membership cards. I don't want to carry receipts. I don't want to carry bank cards or credit cards. I don't want to carry ID. None of these things are imbued with any inherent functionality that can't be duplicated by a phone.

I'm willing to bet Passbook gets a whole lot more useful with the new iPhone which'll probably have NFC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My3G is the only reason I have my 4S jailbroken. And the only two applications I use this for are Facetime, and the App Store (downloading files over 20MB). Really, all they need to let me do is queue files from the App store. I have no problem downloading them later, I just want to be able to buy them whenever I want.

Didn't the limit get raised to 50MB around iOS 5.0?

MThanded

I don't want to carry membership cards. I don't want to carry receipts. I don't want to carry bank cards or credit cards. I don't want to carry ID. None of these things are imbued with any inherent functionality that can't be duplicated by a phone.
Passbook is going to be integrated with nfc i presume.

bananas

Banned

You could use the "Tell a Friend" button to email yourself a reminder to download the app.

elsk

Banned
Features are subject to change. Not all features are available on all devices.

Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas.

Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply.

Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.

Shared Photo Streams requires iOS 6 on iPhone 4 or later or iPad 2 or later, or a Mac computer with OS X Mountain Lion. An up-to-date browser is required for accessing shared photo streams on the web.

FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4 or later, or iPad 2 or later with cellular data capability. Carrier data charges may apply. FaceTime is not available in all countries.

VIP list and VIP and Flagged smart mailboxes will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.

Offline Reading List will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.

Made for iPhone hearing aids require iPhone 4S.

Find My Friends and Find My iPhone enable you to locate iOS devices only when they are on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network or have an active data plan. Not available in all areas.

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

The Transamerica Pyramid Building is a registered service mark of Transamerica Corporation.

:/

Either they need a desktop app or something. Sometimes you want to have stuff queued up on the desktop for in the car or later in the day.

Yes the reach is far with the phone alone. For functionality reasons it would be nice to have the mapping support elsewhere. Id rather use apple maps everywhere than use google maps on my desktop and apple maps on my phone.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful; just saying it's an odd statement to claim the work isn't worth it "only for iOS devices."

It's probably quite purposefully not on the web from Apple's general marketing perspective.

If it was such a deal breaker you probably should have jumped ship a while back.

I thought google explicitly said that apple could not use their maps to do turn by turn. My memory may be off but I thought there was some limitation.

I've been using the shit mapquest app in the mean time

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the passbook app looks nice and the do not disturb features as well, not enough to convince me to get rid of my jailbreak though. Wonder how long it will be before there is a untethered jailbreak for it though, i'm willing to wait.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

I don't want to carry membership cards. I don't want to carry receipts. I don't want to carry bank cards or credit cards. I don't want to carry ID. None of these things are imbued with any inherent functionality that can't be duplicated by a phone. Edit: Naturally, the other major use of a wallet, to show obnoxious family photos no one else wants to see, is already possible with my phone.

Even if it does work, I'm not sure it'd be a great idea to leave the wallet at home. Half the time when I use paypass it doesn't want to work for random reasons. The last thing I would want is to do my grocery shopping and then realize I have no way to pay for it.

MThanded

I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful; just saying it's an odd statement to claim the work isn't worth it "only for iOS devices."

It's probably quite purposefully not on the web from Apple's general marketing perspective.

i was thinking maybe on the icloud.com portal.

Sirolf

If someone wants to setup a fresh dev account or share his account (against some munnies for both) i'm in !!:)

CrankyJay

Banned

This is exactly how I feel. The success of this also largely hinges on places buying into scanning phones etc.

apple-wwdc-2012-_1114.jpg

Action Sheet APIs.

OMG

Is this what i think it is?

Add on fixing the shitty YouTube quality limitation over 3G too, and ya, those three reasons are why I have My3G.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Even if it does work, I'm not sure it'd be a great idea to leave the wallet at home. Half the time when I use paypass it doesn't want to work for random reasons. The last thing I would want is to do my grocery shopping and then realize I have no way to pay for it.

It's not just about Paypass/NFC, though--I've had the same experience with NFC readers not working immediately (I fall back to swiping after a few tries). There's Bump. There's Paypal on my phone. There's also no reason why the retailer can't enter your card number manually (the same way some do if the card won't swipe properly). I can't tell you what the backup routine is, but someone should be able to figure it out. I don't carry cash anymore and haven't for probably 6 or 7 years now. Now it's time for me to not carry plastic anymore.

It's 2012--of all the billions of dollars in the credit industry, and all the billions of dollars in the payment processing industry, and all the billions of dollars in the mobile industry, and the hundreds of millions of smartphones out there, how the hell hasn't this been solved?

bananas

Banned
Well, by the time the new iPhone comes out, the two-year contracts for 4 users should be up (if they got it at launch).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Definitely an impressive update to iOS, the passbook stuff is really interesting, can't wait to see what the API looks like for that.

Only thing that irks me is the walled garden approach they are taking to Siri, only integrating their preferred sites, would have really liked to see an API that links keywords and phrases to 3rd party apps. Maybe that'll happen eventually.

MThanded

I think it is, man. I think it is.

I've waited so long..

cry-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1062.gif

Isn't the action sheet just a replacement for the list of actions we have now. Someone inform a brother. Am I missing something. They never said there was more interoperability.

kinggroin

Banned

I have and use Google wallet for convenience (easy to simply swipe my phone). However, I still take my wallet with me. Why? Because of the two, one of those is always guaranteed to work.

I've had moments where wallet won't respond or my phone acts up due to poor reception. Until that's at least 99% reliable, my wallet comes with me.

Koodo

Banned
There's also no reason why the retailer can't enter your card number manually (the same way some do if the card won't swipe properly).
Wouldn't that increase user error and waiting time?

Potentially significantly, even. Imagine a big line of people and everyone paying with a credit card.

Blah. Good thing I'm planning to upgrade from my 4 this year. I have the new iPad but it's WiFi only. A mistake I won't be making next year!
An iPad with cellular data seems pointless when also owning an iPhone. Just use the hotspot feature. *.*

Enco

:lol at fly over not being iPhone 4.

As long as Siri gets all the shown features (e.g. cinema stuff) in the UK, I'm happy. This will be big.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's not just about Paypass/NFC, though--I've had the same experience with NFC readers not working immediately (I fall back to swiping after a few tries). There's Bump. There's Paypal on my phone. There's also no reason why the retailer can't enter your card number manually (the same way some do if the card won't swipe properly). I can't tell you what the backup routine is, but someone should be able to figure it out. I don't carry cash anymore and haven't for probably 6 or 7 years now. Now it's time for me to not carry plastic anymore.

It's 2012--of all the billions of dollars in the credit industry, and all the billions of dollars in the payment processing industry, and all the billions of dollars in the mobile industry, and the hundreds of millions of smartphones out there, how the hell hasn't this been solved?

I agree. I would love a way to not have to carry a wallet around. Having to keep one in my back pocket never ceases to annoy. A future where I can do all my transactions and ID stuff throught a phone, or perhaps a general use card would be great, but it'd have to work 100% of the time for me to ditch my wallet. I think it's going to be another five to ten years before we get to that point, especially in Canada.

Isn't the action sheet just a replacement for the list of actions we have now. Someone inform a brother. Am I missing something. They never said there was more interoperability.
This is a list of developer APIs:

apple-wwdc-2012-_1114.jpg

Action Sheet is in there so I assume developers will be able to plug their apps into the action sheet; say for example Instapaper could plug in and you could save articles without ever installing that silly bookmarklet.

Piggus

Wouldn't that increase user error and waiting time?

Potentially significantly, even. Imagine a big line of people and everyone paying with a credit card.

An iPad with cellular data seems pointless when also owning an iPhone. Just use the hotspot feature. *.*

The hotspot thing is really expensive on AT&T last time I checked. When I had my iPad 2 I was fine with it being just WiFi. But now more often I find myself in situations where the 4G version would be really nice to have.

Top Bottom