• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

elsk

Banned
Wait, what? What's different about Apple's turn-by-turn that makes it unfeasible on 4?

They want/need you to update your phone, so they limit some features from older iphones. Siri could be totally possible, but they needed it to be a reason to upgrade from iphone 4 to iphone 4s. That's the way it works with Apple.

andycapps

Very glad that they're introducing proper navigation. Thought I wouldn't have a free solution when I came over from my EVO to the new iPhone. Pretty much satisfied with that update alone. The other stuff is just icing on the cake and looks great.

Facetime over wireless makes me think that Sprint is going to be working overtime on getting Network Vision deployed in all their top markets. The other carriers are really going to have to ramp up network capacity as well.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
They want/need you to update your phone, so they limit some features from older iphones. Siri could be totally possible, but they needed it to be a reason to upgrade from iphone 4 to iphone 4s. That's the way it works with Apple.

I personally don't think apples servers could handle the load if they opened siri up to every idevice that they could. Especially with the launch of a new phone coming in the fall to add to the chaos.

Koodo

Banned
The hotspot thing is really expensive on AT&T last time I checked. When I had my iPad 2 I was fine with it being just WiFi. But now more often I find myself in situations where the 4G version would be really nice to have.
Oh, it's an extra charge. Vile.

It's free here in Canada with Rogers/Fido for anyone with a plan exceeding 1GB.

MacDee

Neo Member
Gah my developer account expired 3 days ago, hence the dead links.

I offered up spots last year by donation and am willing to do the same again.
PM me your UDID and I will send Paypal info.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This is a list of developer APIs:

apple-wwdc-2012-_1114.jpg

Action Sheet is in there so I assume developers will be able to plug their apps into the action sheet; say for example Instapaper could plug in and you could save articles without ever installing that silly bookmarklet.
Apps already do this no? but there has to be mutual support. I know I have apps that can open things in instapaper.

Are we presuming that this is somehow different than opening pdf in goodreader or save in instapaper actions we already have in some apps.

mf.luder

I really think they have a gold mine here with iOS 6. Not crazy about Facebook but everything else was awesome. Glad Siri is out of Beta in Canada.

KtSlime

Uh.. sorry. Did they actually use the Turn-by-Turn navigation as actual bullet point high light?
Speaking as a smug Android user, IOS never had that before, really?

No, Apple has never offered an app before with turn-by-turn navigation, however apps have been available in the AppStore with that feature since long before Android offered it. It will be nice getting it for free now.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What did you want?

The iPhone to turn into a private jet?

Now that you mention it...

Nah, just more of a revamp I guess. Notifications improvements maybe, UI rework/overhaul. Something big and major that I wasn't really expecting.

I dunno, to be quite blunt.

I'm no rabid fan but this update adds a ton of awesome new features.

Did you even read the OP? How can you say there's nothing new?

Might have to help me out here, because to me its seems like a pretty standard "safe to assume" yearly upgrade.

Nothing to be surprised about, maybe the hardware will be different.

kinggroin

Banned
Something new that maybe draws interest to people other than rabid apple fans?

To be fair, if you're already satisfied with your current platform, why bitch about what ios still lacks? I'm not ditching android just yet, because while not as fluffy, it still has more features that are relevant to my needs and preferences.

You can't deny that the updates help to make ios devices that much more competitive and attractive.

buhdeh

Too bad they had to ditch Google Maps. Aren't all the public transit (bus) times connected to Google Maps? I wonder if Apple's maps app will still have them... And to be honest, the 3D overhead view looks pretty useless. I mean, yeah, it's cool but something like street view is actually useful and helps you better recognize what's around the house/store/whatever you're trying to get to.

Any word on if they are going to make icloud integration with 3rd party apps more seamlessly? Lilke something automatic? It would be a killer feature to have all the docs and setting synced to your icloud, it would even mitigate the need to do a full blown backup. That and having the possibility to share docs between apps (without needing to copy them, and keeping the original file in the app that has created it) would increase the funcionality in ios tenfold.
I think it is, man. I think it is.

I've waited so long..

cry-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1062.gif

Please let it be *o*

Futureman

Too bad they had to ditch Google Maps. Aren't all the public transit (bus) times connected to Google Maps? I wonder if Apple's maps app will still have them... And to be honest, the 3D overhead view looks pretty useless. I mean, yeah, it's cool but something like street view is actually useful and helps you better recognize what's around the house/store/whatever you're trying to get to.

I'm guessing G-Maps app is coming.

I'm not exactly enthused about the update as well.

I mean, their are plenty of welcome additions here. Devs seem to be raving about some awesome new APIs. All is well.

Still, I would've liked a bit more; doesn't mean I'm going to throw my iPhone/iPad in the trash can and start cussing Apple for what they've done (or what they didn't do); just means I'll keep a closer eye on what MS annoucnces at the WP8 conference next week. ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I agree. I would love a way to not have to carry a wallet around. Having to keep one in my back pocket never ceases to annoy. A future where I can do all my transactions and ID stuff throught a phone, or perhaps a general use card would be great, but it'd have to work 100% of the time for me to ditch my wallet. I think it's going to be another five to ten years before we get to that point, especially in Canada.

If anything, Canada should go faster. Interac caught on way faster here than American debit cards did, and with only 5(-8, if you include the minis) major banks, consensus and cooperation seems easier to obtain. I recognize that I'm impatient or entitled or unrealistic, but it never ceases to irk me when technology exists and fucking bureaucratic inertia prevents people from taking advantage of it.

I've had moments where wallet won't respond or my phone acts up due to poor reception. Until that's at least 99% reliable, my wallet comes with me.

Right, and I'm saying companies need to make it priority A1 to make it 99% reliable. Plastic in 2012 should be where cash was in 1995.

Wouldn't that increase user error and waiting time?

Potentially significantly, even. Imagine a big line of people and everyone paying with a credit card.

People use the time argument about debit more generally. I'm not saying that entering a card number is a good solution, I'm saying it's a good fallback for people terrified that the payment technology itself isn't good enough.

Enco

Now that you mention it...

Nah, just more of a revamp I guess. Notifications improvements maybe, UI rework/overhaul. Something big and major that I wasn't really expecting.

I dunno, to be quite blunt.
Yea UI changes would have been nice.

Might have to help me out here, because to me its seems like a pretty standard "safe to assume" yearly upgrade.

A completely new set of Siri features that are actually useful?

A really easy way to share photos with shared Photo Streams?

Cool new phone call features that save time?

A sexy new maps application with awesome new features?

A software update doesn't have to shock you to be good...

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I would say that I hope Passbook gets updated with fuller capabilities. It's embarrassing that phones didn't replace wallets in 1999. My wallet actually just wore out, and I have three basic choices:
- Buy a shitty mall-world $20 wallet, which will be shitty
- Buy a proper, designer wallet like this one for $50+, but still have the nagging feeling that I'd rather not have a wallet at all.
- Hope that iPhone 5 or upcoming Android phones really get on the ball with revolutionizing this industry so I can just use my damn phone.

I don't want to carry membership cards. I don't want to carry receipts. I don't want to carry bank cards or credit cards. I don't want to carry ID. None of these things are imbued with any inherent functionality that can't be duplicated by a phone. Edit: Naturally, the other major use of a wallet, to show obnoxious family photos no one else wants to see, is already possible with my phone.

NFC has been there and ready. The cell phone careers have been ready. It's the damn banks. A few years back the Financial Times reported banks didn't want have to pay a fee for each transaction done over a NFC enabled phone.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
If anything, Canada should go faster. Interac caught on way faster here than American debit cards did, and with only 5(-8, if you include the minis) major banks, consensus and cooperation seems easier to obtain. I recognize that I'm impatient or entitled or unrealistic, but it never ceases to irk me when technology exists and fucking bureaucratic inertia prevents people from taking advantage of it.

Oh right, that's true. I forgot about that. Well here's hoping. I remain utterly cynical when it comes to banks and bureaucracy though.

dream

The thing is, Apple has so many iOS users that users of other platform are the niche. So each iOS update is designed to make the experience even better for those who have already bought in because the ones who haven't are most likely looking for something fundamentally different.

Pachimari

Yea UI changes would have been nice.

A completely new set of Siri features that are actually useful?

A really easy way to share photos with shared Photo Streams?

Cool new phone call features that save time?

A sexy new maps application with awesome new features?

A software update doesn't have to shock you to be good...
I think it was a great update but I can totally follow those who are not too excited.

I got an iPhone 4 and won't upgrade to an iPhone 6, so I won't get turn by turn or Siri (tough I'm happy those features are developed), the phone features aren't a total need of mine but the Photo Stream stuff is fantastic. But the major feature to me is Facebook integration.

I'm more excited about Dictation for Mountain Lion alone than iOS6.

Don't misinterpret, iOS6 is a fantastic update n my opinion and I can't wait. :)

Top Bottom