• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2013: The Curious Case of no Subtitle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give Wits and Wagers Trivia Party a shot.

Some of the questions are US-centric (usually ones about professional sports), but it has a nice selection of various trivia.

It's free.

Cheers for the heads up, that was my other issue with You Don't Know Jack, there was a round comprised of naming which company produces which cookies which is useless unless you're from the states.

Flunkie

Banned
Is it sad to say that I'd probably enjoy Warhammer Quest more if it weren't set in the Warhammer universe? Have never been able to get into those games.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man...I tried getting into Puzzle & Dragons because of all the hype, but it just feels like a trashy game so far. I'm trying to see what everyone loves about it, and a can see the addictiveness of getting new monster guys, but the experience just feels like trash. And the music is mind-numbing. I'll try one more time...

HBP

Man...I tried getting into Puzzle & Dragons because of all the hype, but it just feels like a trashy game so far. I'm trying to see what everyone loves about it, and a can see the addictiveness of getting new monster guys, but the experience just feels like trash. And the music is mind-numbing. I'll try one more time...

It's not just you, I have tried probably 3 times and just can't get into it.

Yep, I like it a lot.
I'm debating between getting the Survival Pack or just get a $1.99 game and saving my $$ for upcoming games and Humble Bundles. Only have 6.95 left on my Visa Gift Card.

It's a hard decision. I really enjoy the game and want to support the dev

PFD

You're not alone. I couldn't stand the game. Boggles my mind how so many people play it.

Rekwest

Futuridium just got a nice content update
- New game mode with 40+ random levels
- New control options and modes
- Revised menu
- New hi score leaderboard
- Improved graphic and performance
- Bug fixes

Also, is there a way to pause/ access options while playing? And what's the difference between digital and analog controls?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Late to the party, but I'm considering Junk Jack. Should I get it or wait for X or for Terraria?

... wait, Terraria is coming to iOS? I thought the devs basically gave up on the game and moved on?

AFAIK, Junk Jack is the closest you'll get to Terraria on iOS as possible.

Rlan

Over the past month Words With Friends has been making random games with Facebook friends I don't have any intention of playing against.

It claims "friend has started a game with you", but nobody has taken any turns, and having asked these people, they've told me they have not started a game with me. These games also start around 4AM for me.

I already have 3 games going normally, so stop bugging me! And also, don't bloody lie to me, game! You're better than this.

Ok forget Junk Jack, I just learned about 9th Dawn. I'm like 99% sold on the game. Come on, a massive open world dual stick RPG on IOS, how could I not love a game like that?

Just three questions:
1) Is this a roguelike? Like one life that's it? (Which I love)
2) Is the only option combat? Or do you have choices or non combat options for some quotes?
3) How varied is the world? I've seen forests and towns, what about snowy areas, deserts, swamps, caves, beaches, etc?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
... wait, Terraria is coming to iOS? I thought the devs basically gave up on the game and moved on?

A few key members moved on but the console/vita ports have been developed since then. I hope it plays ok with touch devices, it's gonna take some work.

PFD

Ok forget Junk Jack, I just learned about 9th Dawn. I'm like 99% sold on the game. Come on, a massive open world dual stick RPG on IOS, how could I not love a game like that?

Just three questions:
1) Is this a roguelike? Like one life that's it? (Which I love)
2) Is the only option combat? Or do you have choices or non combat options for some quotes?
3) How varied is the world? I've seen forests and towns, what about snowy areas, deserts, swamps, caves, beaches, etc?

It's not a roguelike. It's in the vein of old RPGs, and is pretty fun from what little I've played. I haven't played enough to answer your other questions though.

Skyrise

Futuridium just got a nice content update

Also, is there a way to pause/ access options while playing? And what's the difference between digital and analog controls?

Hi, developer of Futuridium here. :)

- you can pause the game/access options by touching the upper right corner of the screen

- the digital controls are the previous controls: basically they work as a digital joystick, when you move your finger you go full speed in a direction.
Analog is a new implementation, a lot more smoother and you get finer controls on little movements. You can adjust the sensitivity of the virtual analog stick.

Hope you enjoy the update!

Hi, developer of Futuridium here. :)

- you can pause the game/access options by touching the upper right corner of the screen

- the digital controls are the previous controls: basically they work as a digital joystick, when you move your finger you go full speed in a direction.
Analog is a new implementation, a lot more smoother and you get finer controls on little movements. You can adjust the sensitivity of the virtual analog stick.

Hope you enjoy the update!
Hi. Thanks. I wanted to test the different controls while playing without having to keep returning to the main menu

And don't know if you checked the Toucharcade forum, but I had a suggestion:
In single level, when you finish the level, it would be nice to have a screen asking whether you want to retry that level or return to the level select menu rather than just automatically returning to the Touch to Start screen. Just my two cents

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Guys, if anyone has bought my game 'Gleamer', could I ask you to consider leaving a review in the App Store? Would really appreciate it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Late to the party, but I'm considering Junk Jack. Should I get it or wait for X or for Terraria?

Wait for Junk Jack X, it's due out very soon, it has a full persistent world online mode and a bunch of other stuff the original lacks.

Then Terraria later this year.

SeanR1221

All stars in Mikey hooks story mode :)

Now I gotta find all the shorts and finish the races.

I liked the ending
hopefully we get a sequel soon where the girl is saving Mikey

SteveWD40

Wait for Junk Jack X, it's due out very soon, it has a full persistent world online mode and a bunch of other stuff the original lacks.

Then Terraria later this year.

Seconded, JJX looks great and Terraria should be soon after it, up in the air right now as to which will be better.

^^
Thanks. I learned about 9th Dawn, so I'm probably going to go with that instead

Last 9th Dawn question:
Anyone know if this Android expansion update is coming to the IOS version?
(Or was it already included in the IOS version at launch?)

Changes:
- Two huge new islands with tons of new npcs, quests, monsters, items, and secrets. One is reached from Kreyshore and the other from Marseilles, but you have to have beaten the first game’s final boss before you can travel there!
- A new “omniclass” that can be unlocked after making progress in the expansion content. The unlocking the omniclass lets you make a character that gets all of the spells and items from any class!
- New abilities for knights and archers!
- A teleport stone that can quickly transport to towns you’ve visited before (you’ll need to revisit them in the expansion patch to unlock them).
- Some water based monsters.
- Torches!
- Smarter “action button” usage. Automatically opens chests and talks to npcs.
- Two new songs added!
- New debug commands (if you run into problems, e-mail us and we’ll give you the commands and what to input to fix stuff, like broken quests and whatnot).
- Added traps! All classes can use traps and there are eight different kinds.
- Spell/ability descriptions were added.
- Added item pickup messages.
- Hopefully fixed the quest corruption bugs.

PittaGAF

I can safely say I've never been so addicted to a game in my gaming life as I'm addicted to Warhammer Quest.
They must have tweaked difficulty in some last update I hadn't checked out properly IMHO.
Hard core mode now feels right (almost like adventurer mode was during beta) plus the added poison thing (only in hardcore) is really deadly in the Skaven dungeons when surrounded by warlords.
The 'just one more dungeon' factor is devastating my iPhone battery.

WoolyNinja

Anyone who thinks that the League of Evil series is the best platformer on iOS has probably never played Mikey Shorts and now its fantastic sequel Mikey Hooks! These games are so good and control perfectly.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Anyone who thinks that the League of Evil series is the best platformer on iOS has probably never played Mikey Shorts and now its fantastic sequel Mikey Hooks! These games are so good and control perfectly.

I've never said that but nevertheless have no idea what games are you talking about. So please my fellow iOS user, enlighten me (us?) ;)

PFD

I love both series. They're each unique and awesome. I have yet to get Mikey Hooks though, something I need to rectify once I'm done with XCOM.

Xater

So who here actually plays Ultima Forever? All I am hearing about it sounds dreadful. Just as the early reviews I posted earlier. They basically fucked up a decent game with a terrible F2P model.

So who here actually plays Ultima Forever? All I am hearing about it sounds dreadful. Just as the early reviews I posted earlier. They basically fucked up a decent game with a terrible F2P model.
If you want an Ultima experience on IOS, get 9th Dawn. I just got the game and it's great. And it's premium. Got to support IOS devs that quality premium games

Xater

If you want an Ultima experience on IOS, get 9th Dawn. I just got the game and it's great. And it's premium. Got to support IOS devs that quality premium games

I just wanted hear if it's really that bad. I am not going to check it out I think. Like you I prefer a good game I can just buy. I am not really against the F2P model but rarely do these work out being fair. 9th Dawn does look interesting though. I'll add it to my wishlist.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Just wanted to give you a short update on Swords & Arrows. If you don't know what the game is, there's a description of it in the iOS gaming July thread). And I'm part of the dev team, in case that wasn't clear (the sound/music guy). We've released a couple of updates these past weeks, one of the biggest changes is the tactical assist feature. Among other things it shows how much damage you will do before actually attacking. Very useful and convenient IMO.
Also, we're still working on a single-player mode, a weather feature and Naval battles. So yeah, a lot! The weather update is probably the closest to release, I'm guessing a couple of weeks from now.
And concerning single-player, we initially considered just doing small challenges against an AI, but decided we might as well go all the way and throw in a proper campaign mode too. So to celebrate that we've actually reached 3000 players as of today (yay!), the art guys threw together something SP-related for me to post on NeoGAF:
u6YDgUP.jpg

As a side-note, I actually got my first iOS device ever a few days ago, an iPad (3rd generation)! Which is kind of funny considering I had to develop S&A with no actual iOS device of my own to test the game on. :)
Also, this is the first time I've actually been able to play the game properly, so if anyone wants to beat me at S&A, you can add me on Gamecenter ("ljudkristian"). I'm not the best strategist around, so the odds are probably in your favor!

WoolyNinja

Story Mode in Mikey Hooks is definitely a bit easier than the first game but still fantastic. Completed Story Mode and got all the shorts/coins. Moving on to race mode!

CronoShot

So I booted up Guardian Cross for the first time today after having it downloaded for a while, and apparently some signals are getting crossed or something, because every time I boot up I get access to someone else's level 43 account. And apparently, there is no way to delete save data or accounts.

Awesome.

cjkeats

So I booted up Guardian Cross for the first time today after having it downloaded for a while, and apparently some signals are getting crossed or something, because every time I boot up I get access to someone else's level 43 account. And apparently, there is no way to delete save data or accounts.

Awesome.

Happened to me when I got the game for the first time the other day. You on the iOS 7 Beta? Seems to be a thing with that.
Happened with Zombiegal Kawaii too.

I just wanted hear if it's really that bad. I am not going to check it out I think. Like you I prefer a good game I can just buy. I am not really against the F2P model but rarely do these work out being fair. 9th Dawn does look interesting though. I'll add it to my wishlist.
I said it before, but Trial By Survival is probably the best F2P model ever. The free download is essentially a fully featured "lite" version. You can beat the entire game if you want. But the $3.99 Survival Pack removes all freemium aspects, basically acting as a game unlock and turning TBS into a premium game.

So Rage of the Gladiator. Is it better than the Wii original?

Also, any difference between the free and paid version? Can I still experience the whole game without paying for it?

So I played Beat Hazard Lite. Now beside the flashing of the bullets and the pulsing screen and lights to the music, I didn't really notice any other effects of the gameplay. Maybe I haven't played it enough? How else does the music influence the gameplay?

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
So I played Beat Hazard Lite. Now beside the flashing of the bullets and the pulsing screen and lights to the music, I didn't really notice any other effects of the gameplay. Maybe I haven't played it enough? How else does the music influence the gameplay?

I think it affects the enemies and when bosses appear as well. I love that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom