• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2013: The Curious Case of no Subtitle

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Terraria, do only wood walls count as walls for houses if I want to attract NPCs? I'm building a few settlements, and have dirt walls, is that okay?

Yep but that didn't show how to build?

Or maybe I just didn't finish the tutorial...
I know for me, after showing how to place platforms, you're instructed to build a 10x6 house, how to place a wall, door, table, chair, torch, etc.

What did you get up to?

Nyx

I know for me, after showing how to place platforms, you're instructed to build a 10x6 house, how to place a wall, door, table, chair, torch, etc.

What did you get up to?

Nvm, it turns out I quit the tutorial right after mining all the ores lol.

Found some grenades.
When the guide says to keep explosives to attract a demolitionist, can I keep them in chests or do they have to remain in my inventory

Wolfie5

Downloaded The Room Epilogue update and finished it in half an hour. A great game, although it's too short. I want more. Glad to hear there is a sequel coming this year :)

Shearie

Made lots if progress today in Terraria. Got all gold equipment, saw lots of new areas, reached the bottom of the world where I had to battle demons in goddamn hell, and to top it all off.....GOT MY MUTHAFUCKIN GRAPPLING HOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guide's telling me to bring some lenses to a demon alter to do some battle; guess I'll do that next.

Also, what the hell do I need to be able to build an alchemy station?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Made lots if progress today in Terraria. Got all gold equipment, saw lots of new areas, reached the bottom of the world where I had to battle demons in goddamn hell, and to top it all off.....GOT MY MUTHAFUCKIN GRAPPLING HOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guide's telling me to bring some lenses to a demon alter to do some battle; guess I'll do that next.

Also, what the hell do I need to be able to build an alchemy station?

Yeah I'm totally addicted to this now, mining is so much fun, I've just got all these tunnels going everywhere, and it's such a relatively small area of the map! I just wanna dig.

What the hell? In Terraria, now every time I load up my world, I just fell to my death, there's no ground at all. I just fall past every underground layer and hit the bottom of the world

SmokyDave

What the hell? In Terraria, now every time I load up my world, I just fell to my death, there's no ground at all. I just fall past every underground layer and hit the bottom of the world
Yeah, that happened to my iPhone world too. Pisser. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen to my iPad world.

This game needs iCloud support ASAP.

So pissed that my first world glitched out, but thankfully anything in your inventory carries over to a new world

Found an awesome Thorn Chakram underground. After two days of play, I can say without a doubt that Terraria blows Minecraft away in the gameplay department. I like MC for the world and vistas but Terraria's RPG elements and awesome loot is just so much fun

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sounds good, I tried out terraria on mac a bit and I saw a potential for something that I might really like, hopefully JJX is similarly deep (customisation and collectibles, if i that's what it really is i am in for a treat). My sister is obsessed with Minecraft so maybe two of us will have bit of fun together.

Personally, I found the IAP slightly offensive. 5 euro I paid for bare bones campaign with 3 different enemy models, probably 5-4 different corridor tiles and stock team characters. Honestly, you play one, two levels, you played them all. Then what, another fiver for another campaign with swapped models and swapped corridor art? I passed.

Some people won't agree (vocally ; ) with my claim, they seemed to have lots of fun with WHQ - for me it was too simplistic and definitely thin on the content for such price.

Totally agreed.
I mean, it's kinda neat at first but the game is so light on the gameplay department, becomes borderline offensive after a couple of hours. Nontheless I fire it up every now and then, of course I haven't bought any IAP characters and never will. Game had so much potential...

So pissed that my first world glitched out, but thankfully anything in your inventory carries over to a new world

Found an awesome Thorn Chakram underground. After two days of play, I can say without a doubt that Terraria blows Minecraft away in the gameplay department. I like MC for the world and vistas but Terraria's RPG elements and awesome loot is just so much fun

What minecraft needs is more power ups and rare loot to find, terraria is amazing for that kind of stuff for what I played on the pc version the other year.

Are touch screen controls alright for this?

What minecraft needs is more power ups and rare loot to find, terraria is amazing for that kind of stuff for what I played on the pc version the other year.

Are touch screen controls alright for this?
I never played the PC version so I can't compare but I'm finding the controls pretty solid. Go with iPad if you can. I'm playing on iPhone and it works but the game is probably better suited for an iPad

Vlodril

Sorry for posting this here but i do not think there is a thread and i do not wish to make a separate one. My brother and me bought a kindle fire for my mother and she is big on adventure games. Anyone knows of a site that reviews amazon store games? Or have any suggestions? Thanks

It so cute seeing people experience old ass games for the first time on iPhone. I wish I hadn't played the shit out of terraria back when it released like 2 years ago so I could experience that feeling again.

arimanius

Decided to buy JJx this morning after playing terraria all night. I'm just not feeling it. It does have more of a minecraft vibe but terraria seem faster pace if that makes sense.

igor

So, I could finally buy some games so I got to catch up a little:

First of all, Asphalt 8.

After jumping in my Audi under a rocket that's been lifting off (yes, like a spacecraft carrying one), Asphalt 8 became an iOS game of the year contender for me. Just... wow. The only crazier racer I can think of is Mario Kart or Crash Team Racing and to compare this game with these two classics is some praise, I think. The stuff you pull off is just gobsmacking: crazy stunts, dizzying nitro, smile inducing takedowns - finally Asphalt got identity of its own!
Graphics are beautiful, locales are stunning and the tracks themselves are fantastic - the only "racing" game that had such robust level design was probably SSX... This game has tons and tons of fun and it's easily the best racer on iOS, arcade or not.

I don't really dig the menus, and I suppose its quite grind heavy (I feel that you just don't stand a chance with slightly underpowered car, but maybe that's more of my skills lacking), but other than that, it's just as fun as the trailers suggest. Bravo, Gameloft.

(BTW How do you do the flat spin again? In the tutorial it just kinda happen and couldn't do it again... would probably help a lot with nitrous)

I also got Junk Jack X... So far so good, and I am surprised I actually got into the Minecraft style game - the controls are really well thought out though I ended up fighting a lot with menus, ironically - they are quite clumsy. I played Terraria a bit on PC but even there it just felt too fiddly with these small blocks, let alone on iPhone, so for me JJX seems the right choice for the platform, really, even though so far the world doesn't seem as lush and rich as Terraria's generated words do. It has very few, unattractive caves, and on the surface there's little variety, even though the art style is so charming. It's also bit harsh with resources and the day seems super short so exploration is bit tough, and the game progresses at a glacial pace - but I also blame the fact it's my first time with games of this kind and all of it feels really alien to me haha. In a way it reminds me Harvest Moon a lot, which is a game I missed a lot.

It's really charming, and I am going to spend quite a lot of time with it, so as soon as I feel bit more confident I am up to multiplayer sessions : ) Add me on game center: igor_mango

Also, I tried out Smash Bandits, and I think it might have potentially a place in the OT - It's super polished, super stylish (menus are superb!) and the gameplay is quite fun as a twist on an endless runner genre. But if you want to have a decent run you need to spend coins, otherwise the game is ridiculously hard O_O Will play it for a bit more because I don't know if I suck that much or the game is made for milking cash from players...

svegis

Spent time with the epilogue from The Room too, it's short but welcome addition to a fun game.
Now to wait until "late 2013" for the hopefully just as great sequel!

colinp

Banned
Well, I broke and picked up Terraria. Fun for twenty or thirty minutes before moving and jumping with the virtual d-pad became way too frustrating. Placement of items was also a pain in the ass. As was scrolling in the menus. Was playing on a Mini but eh I'm done. Might try it on PC someday now that I have an idea what I'm doing.

Shearie

Well, I broke and picked up Terraria. Fun for twenty or thirty minutes before moving and jumping with the virtual d-pad became way too frustrating. Placement of items was also a pain in the ass. As was scrolling in the menus. Was playing on a Mini but eh I'm done. Might try it on PC someday now that I have an idea what I'm doing.

I'm not having any of those problems on my Mini - except I don't know how to change orientation of items - but from what I've read, the PC version is the way to go since it has more content, multiplayer, and bigger worlds. Hope the iOS version gets some of that content someday.

By the way, defeated Eye of Cthulhu today. This awesome boomerang I found in the jungle really helped me out with that, plus my gold and silver armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom