• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2013: The Curious Case of no Subtitle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Can't get into Terraria yet, I'm thinking junk jack might be the better choice, Terraria is just a little too fiddly. Shit's giving me wristache with how I have to hold the iPad too. Hmph.

One thing I can't work out is the wood walls, placing them doesn't seem very precise at all and it looks all messy and horrible.

Do do like digging down though, that's fun.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
As much as I like that little puzzle game, there are currently too many Lums in the OP

Whut?

I re-purposed the Lums links from last month (shifting out last months' games as the month comes to an end) while adding in Terraria and Junk Jack but there shouldn't be any traces of that left. I don't see anything wrong personally, anyone else? Cache thing maybe?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Whut?

I re-purposed the Lums links from last month (shifting out last months' games as the month comes to an end) while adding in Terraria and Junk Jack but there shouldn't be any traces of that left. I don't see anything wrong personally, anyone else? Cache thing maybe?

Actually, I'm seeing a paragraph of Lums stuff just after the Terraria video.

Can't get into Terraria yet, I'm thinking junk jack might be the better choice, Terraria is just a little too fiddly. Shit's giving me wristache with how I have to hold the iPad too. Hmph.

One thing I can't work out is the wood walls, placing them doesn't seem very precise at all and it looks all messy and horrible.

Do do like digging down though, that's fun.

wood walls are weird lol. just make sure things are filled up and it should be good.

i dont get combat in junk jack, i'm just tapping the enemies right? they are too tiny in that i can't even see if i'm hitting them with my finger on them :(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Which is more user friendly between the two? Do either have cloud saving?

I've not played it yet, but the size of the blocks in the junk jack screens make me think its a little less fiddly.

Just played for another hour on Terraria, I think I get it now. Dug for an hour, found a weird room underground and then a chest full of goodies. Ahhhh, I get it!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just played for another hour on Terraria, I think I get it now. Dug for an hour, found a weird room underground and then a chest full of goodies. Ahhhh, I get it!

It's a lot of fun just to see how far down you can get before your inevitable demise. Especially when you're still working with primitive equipment.

Craft a grappling hook ASAP, it's great for underground expeditions.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's a lot of fun just to see how far down you can get before your inevitable demise. Especially when you're still working with primitive equipment.

Craft a grappling hook ASAP, it's great for underground expeditions.

There's a grappling hook?? I could see that being useful. I've just been making elaborate staircases...

thinking terraria might actually work better on iphone than ipad/mini. You can pretty much do everything in a 'controller grip', while ipad you have to constantly let go of your right hand grip for switching selected item, crafting etc.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
thinking terraria might actually work better on iphone than ipad/mini. You can pretty much do everything in a 'controller grip', while ipad you have to constantly let go of your right hand grip for switching selected item, crafting etc.

I find the controls on an iPhone to be incredibly fiddly, I frequently end up building/removing things when I try to move with the joystick and vice versa.

Junk Jack has a way more approachable control solution.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
I keep thinking about triple-dipping on Terraria, but I just can't imagine that the controls hold up once you get to the later end of the game and have greatly-increased mobility. The controls on XBLA were surprisingly competent, and I was able to do more or less everything I was capable of in the PC version, but I can't see the touch screen controls keeping up.

Enjoying the bit of Junk Jack X I've played so far. Can't wait to get into the multiplayer this weekend.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Junk Jack X has, perhaps ironically, taken a ton of features from Terraria, the RPG elements, NPCs, persistent character development, collecting animals, water physics etc etc are all in there.

The two games are the two sides of the same coin, both have pros and cons against each other. JJX has local/online multiplayer and the ability to share worlds with others, Terraria doesn't. Terraria has smaller blocks (more fiddly), JJX has bigger (more user friendly). JJX also has a more mincraftian crafting system (and a new optional super casual mode).

I like both for their own reasons, if you like sandbox games you'll find tons of depth and things to do and explore in either.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Junk Jack X has, perhaps ironically, taken a ton of features from Terraria, the RPG elements, NPCs, persistent character development, collecting animals, water physics etc etc are all in there.

The two games are the two sides of the same coin, both have pros and cons against each other. JJX has local/online multiplayer and the ability to share worlds with others, Terraria doesn't. Terraria has smaller blocks (more fiddly), JJX has bigger (more user friendly). JJX also has a more mincraftian crafting system (and a new optional super casual mode).

I like both for their own reasons, if you like sandbox games you'll find tons of depth and things to do and explore in either.

Ironically? If I recall, Junk Jack was exactly going to be that - terraria for iOS. Minecraft had its own thing, so they wanted to make their own version of Terraria for iOS. They couldn't have known at the time that Terraria was coming to iOS themselves. So... it's HEAVILY inspired by Terraria.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I think I will end up getting JJX soon once I've given Terraria a fair shake. The art in the screens looks lovely, and I think the big block approach might work better on a touchscreen too.

Speaking of crafty games, does anyone know how Minecraft PE is these days? I take it there's a lot of updates, is it comparable to the PC or 360 versions yet?

SmokyDave

For wooden walls, just make sure to fill the area your walls cover. Zoom in and place some to get a better idea of how they work.

Ironically? If I recall, Junk Jack was exactly going to be that - terraria for iOS. Minecraft had its own thing, so they wanted to make their own version of Terraria for iOS. They couldn't have known at the time that Terraria was coming to iOS themselves. So... it's HEAVILY inspired by Terraria.
I don't know if they changed it, but the title screen used to mention Terraria in one of the the messages that rotated in the corner.

wrowa

Is Ultima Forever worth playing or it just another game that shares the Ultima name but nothing else of what made Ultima special?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just lost another hour in the crisscrossing network of tunnels I've made. Figured out loads of stuff, this is really fun. I can see why people like these crafty games now. They're pointless but horribly addictive.

Tug the Table

screen568x568.jpeg

Free, easy achievements, can make you mad.

arimanius

I'm really enjoying terraria it plays great on the mini. I'm not a big fan of virtual sticks but it works well in this game. I just have to zoom in when building sometimes.

I've already died to a zombie within the first 20 mins. Was building my first house and it trapped me in. Killed the guide too lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've already died to a zombie within the first 20 mins. Was building my first house and it trapped me in. Killed the guide too lol
I had to imprison the guide in a hole because he wouldn't stop opening and closing the door to my hideaway. There's giant flying eyeballs out there, dammit.

I had to imprison the guide in a hole because he wouldn't stop opening and closing the door to my hideaway. There's giant flying eyeballs out there, dammit.
Great advise, that guide is so freaking annoying

Are there stairs and ladders or only platforms? And can NPCs use platforms (so I can make a multi-story fortress)?

Silvawuff

I love Terraria, it's a real treat to have it available on the go now. I enjoy it more than Minecraft because it feels like more goal-oriented game play, and you never know what you'll find next when you dig. You'll always be looking for materials to build that next upgrade, and the combat is satisfying for what it is.

I wish there was a way that something like The Room could be longer, but it's obvious how much time it must take them to make each puzzle.

It kills me because I race through each stage/box (just beat the Epilogue) within half an hour, and it's so great, and I just want MORE

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Woah, JJX is out as is Terraria? Major iOS night. JJ was one of my favorite iOS games. I'm a bit worries that the controls in Terraria aren't going to hold up. JJ is designed for iOS, and while Terraria has been reimagined for iOS, I can't imagine it's BETTER than JJX. :-/

numble

I thought August would be a dead month compared to the pretty good year, but there were a lot of great releases this month. I might give these crafting games a go.

Rlan

Wait... did Zynga just remove "Scramble With Friends" and release a new app called "New Scramble With Friends"? What?

Shearie

After hours of digging and collecting in Terraria, I dug myself into a lava pit and melted to death. Good time to take a break.

colinp

Banned
Woah, JJX is out as is Terraria? Major iOS night. JJ was one of my favorite iOS games. I'm a bit worries that the controls in Terraria aren't going to hold up. JJ is designed for iOS, and while Terraria has been reimagined for iOS, I can't imagine it's BETTER than JJX. :-/

That's my thinking, too, but by and large I've only heard positive things about the controls for Terraria.

Shearie

That's my thinking, too, but by and large I've only heard positive things about the controls for Terraria.

I'm not really having any problems with the controls on my iPad Mini. Maybe running and jumping might be problematic on occasion since movement and jumping are on the left stick but this isn't a precise platformer. I really like the digging/building controls where you can either use the right stick for quick sloppy digging or the more precise zooming in and touching exactly where you want to build/dig.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Terraria controls suffer greatly on a phone, works better on an iPad, but that brings along its own set of issues like wrist fatigue.

Another phone specific issue is there's seemingly no way to zoom out and because the viewpoint is so narrow vertically it's quite clumbersome to build accurately if you end up near the top of the screen (easy to do since its so narrow) since the magnifier bubble that shows you what you're tapping goes off the screen and you end up covering the screen area with your finger. Then when you want to move/jump up to get a better view of where you're building, due to the flincy joystick you often end up building/cutting something on the screen where the joystick would've been instead of moving (or the other way around, you move when you want to build).

Shearie

Terraria controls suffer greatly on a phone, works better on an iPad, but that brings along its own set of issues like wrist fatigue.

Wrist fatigue might be an iPad issue but it's not an iPad Mini issue. Unless you're weak as fuck. If that's the case, go hit up the gym.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Wrist fatigue might be an iPad issue but it's not an iPad Mini issue. Unless you're weak as fuck. If that's the case, go hit up the gym.

Which is why I said iPad, Terraria is a game you end up playing for hours on end, with semi-fixed joysticks at the bottom of the screen, that I'd say is fair to say could cause wrist fatigue regardless of if you even lift or not.

Shearie

Which is why I said iPad, Terraria is a game you end up playing for hours on end, with semi-fixed joysticks at the bottom of the screen, that I'd say is fair to say could cause wrist fatigue regardless of if you even lift or not.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I honestly think anyone serious about iPad gaming should get a Mini since it's such a better experience than the regular iPad.

SteveWD40

Once again, the iPad mini shines as the perfect size for an iOS gaming device. Now all it needs is a beefier processor (I can live without retina, keeps the weight down).

SmokyDave

Much prefer Terraria on the iPad. The iPhone screen is just too small for this game.

I 'preferred' it until the early hours. Now I've slept through my alarm and I'm heading to work feeling like the undead. All for the love of a golden pickaxe.

Shearie

Much prefer Terraria on the iPad. The iPhone screen is just too small for this game.

I 'preferred' it until the early hours. Now I've slept through my alarm and I'm heading to work feeling like the undead. All for the love of a golden pickaxe.

I haven't accomplished it yet but that's my first goal too. It's probably what everyone wants to get first since so much of this game is digging. Might as well speed up the process as early as possible.

SmokyDave

I haven't accomplished it yet but that's my first goal too. It's probably what everyone wants to get first since so much of this game is digging. Might as well speed up the process as early as possible.
I didn't accomplish it either, kept getting sidetracked by... well... Terraria. I'll just dig down there, I'll just tunnel through that.

Still, as soon as I get home I'm going to focus purely on getting gold. Or maybe I'll find the Jungle area. Or perhaps gather some stone for Fort Dave.

I played 2 solid hours of JJX but I'm unable to prevent the monsters from spawning, even though I have torches setup. Is it not possible to prevent them from spawning?

Shearie

I didn't accomplish it either, kept getting sidetracked by... well... Terraria. I'll just dig down there, I'll just tunnel through that.

Still, as soon as I get home I'm going to focus purely on getting gold. Or maybe I'll find the Jungle area. Or perhaps gather some stone for Fort Dave.

Isn't getting gold pretty much random since you don't know where it is or is there something to help you find it that I don't know about?

SmokyDave

Isn't getting gold pretty much random since you don't know where it is or is there something to help you find it that I don't know about?
It's random. Just gotta head out with your pick and dig around. I think it's likelier to show up the deeper you go, but it's all random.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom