• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2013: The Curious Case of no Subtitle

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveWD40

I couldn't resist picking it up. Already have it on Steam and I'm going to buy the Vita version, but I just need to see how they've worked around the touchscreen.

I don't think I'll bother with Jump Jack X, I never really got into Jump Jack. I still think 'Eden: World Builder' is the best world creation 'game' on iOS.

It's Junk David, Junk...

Unless that was a subtle burn? "can't even remember it's name"

Looking at both I am going with Terraria, Junk Jack just seems a little too blocky and I know Terraria has a fuckton of depth.

SmokyDave

It's Junk David, Junk...

Unless that was a subtle burn? "can't even remember it's name"

Looking at both I am going with Terraria, Junk Jack just seems a little too blocky and I know Terraria has a fuckton of depth.

Woah, I don't know how that happened. I can't even blame auto-correct, I'm on a laptop.

Terraria can easily consume hundreds of hours of your life if it gets its hooks into you. I was pulling all-nighters when it was first released.

SteveWD40

I have owned Terria on Steam since it came out, in that time I have played about 3 hours...

If I am at my desk, games like that never win out over MMO's, RPG's or FPS. I am hoping this will finally allow me to enjoy it by being able to play it in bed.

colinp

Banned
Woah, I don't know how that happened. I can't even blame auto-correct, I'm on a laptop.

Terraria can easily consume hundreds of hours of your life if it gets its hooks into you. I was pulling all-nighters when it was first released.

I've got it on steam but never really played it. What's the draw?

SmokyDave

I have owned Terria on Steam since it came out, in that time I have played about 3 hours...

If I am at my desk, games like that never win out over MMO's, RPG's or FPS. I am hoping this will finally allow me to enjoy it by being able to play it in bed.
It's not ideal on a touchscreen, but hopefully you'll enjoy it. It can be quite compelling.

I've got it on steam but never really played it. What's the draw?
It's a charming little 2D adventure with some cool crafting and building. The loot progression kept me playing too, you're always getting something cooler to keep digging / killing stuff with.

My biggest draw was waiting for my friends to build elaborate tunnel systems and then digging through a lake bed and flooding them. Man did I used to get shouted at for that.

Edit: Well, it took me about 5 minutes of playing to get hooked again. I think it's the music or something. Can't wait to crack this out on iPad, the extra screen space will be very welcome.

igor

Holy shit LOL, Terraria sent to die

JUNK JACK X IS OUT! - $4.99

Will there be TWO competing Minecraftian games in the OP later today? WHO KNOWS!

Junk jack looks much better especially for iPhone, but what really these games are about? I am completely lost on the concept. I tried out terraria for like 5 minutes and had no idea what exactly I am supposed to do. Are there any aims in these games?

EDIT: Guess it got explained more or less above. I will try it out when the game is on sale.

Fox1304

Wow, never heard of Junk Jack X.
How does it compare to Terraria ? ( Knowing that Terraria will drop on Vita later and that It'll certainly play better there ).
Is it different enough to warrant a purchase even though I'll most definitely get Terraria on Vita?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It's not ideal on a touchscreen, but hopefully you'll enjoy it. It can be quite compelling.

It's a charming little 2D adventure with some cool crafting and building. The loot progression kept me playing too, you're always getting something cooler to keep digging / killing stuff with.

My biggest draw was waiting for my friends to build elaborate tunnel systems and then digging through a lake bed and flooding them. Man did I used to get shouted at for that.

Edit: Well, it took me about 5 minutes of playing to get hooked again. I think it's the music or something. Can't wait to crack this out on iPad, the extra screen space will be very welcome.
iOS Terraria doesn't have any multiplayer connectivity though, something Junk Jack X has.
Junk jack looks much better especially for iPhone, but what really these games are about? I am completely lost on the concept. I tried out terraria for like 5 minutes and had no idea what exactly I am supposed to do. Are there any aims in these games?

EDIT: Guess it got explained more or less above. I will try it out when the game is on sale.

Junk Jack X is the sequel to Junk Jack, which essentially was 2D Minecraft, a persistent sandbox game where you explored random procedurally generated worlds full of monsters, treasures and secrets, crafted items and built stuff. X adds among other things multiplayer, liquid physics, a story mode. It's quite hard to summarize really.

SteveWD40

Well, it seems according to TA forums and Pocketgamers review that Terraria has slightly shitty controls. Dave, have you tried it yet? how bad are they?

Shearie

Well, it seems according to TA forums and Pocketgamers review that Terraria has slightly shitty controls. Dave, have you tried it yet? how bad are they?

It seems like they're saying in the TA forums that playing it on the iPhone is kinda crappy but on an iPad it's fine.

colinp

Banned
Thanks Dave! Not sure whether to pick up JJX or Terraria for my mini. Think I'll wait a bit and see where the chips fall.

Shearie

Thanks Dave! Not sure whether to pick up JJX or Terraria for my mini. Think I'll wait a bit and see where the chips fall.

After seeing videos of both, Terraria looks like the more interesting game and seems like it's better in the action adventure department too. I also really dislike how big the blocks are in Junk Jack.

arimanius

c7NJRa2.gif

I'm in the same boat.

Reese-015

Speaking of Minecraft-likes, man Minecraft Pocket Edition is all I've been playing lately! And I'm not even so much of a Minecraft fan but I feel it's just perfect for mobile gaming. Being able to just hop in and continue mining and building etc in quick bursts seems to be the perfect fit for the game.

ParityBit

Any rumors on the release date of the iPad 5? I want to upgrade my 3 really bad! I am assuming the newer mini will be less powerful than the iPad 5 too.

picked up both. never played junkjack 1, played a bit of terraria on pc but stuff came up and never got around.

They both scratch a similar itch so far, while jjx seems more minecrafty, while terraria focuses less on building and more on exploration and rpging.

strange that terraria, a port, controls way better than jjx on ios. jjx controls are just clumsy.

Terraria uses virtual sticks but you can manually touch blocks to break. it actually works pretty well.

They both seem to work better on ipad mini than iphone, but on the smaller screen its easier to reach up to the 'hotbar' imo.

Perfectly playable on iphone though (I really wish you can zoom out a bit more on iphone, screen is high res, take advantage of that more!).

lack of icloud support for both kinda sucks though.

terraria gets a thumbs up from me :D

jjx, not sure atm. :|

Shearie

picked up both. never played junkjack 1, played a bit of terraria on pc but stuff came up and never got around.

They both scratch a similar itch so far, while jjx seems more minecrafty, while terraria focuses less on building and more on exploration and rpging.

strange that terraria, a port, controls way better than jjx on ios. jjx controls are just clumsy.

Terraria uses virtual sticks but you can manually touch blocks to break. it actually works pretty well.

They both seem to work better on ipad mini than iphone, but on the smaller screen its easier to reach up to the 'hotbar' imo.

Perfectly playable on iphone though (I really wish you can zoom out a bit more on iphone, screen is high res, take advantage of that more!).

lack of icloud support for both kinda sucks though.

terraria gets a thumbs up from me :D

jjx, not sure atm. :|

The bolded part is the main reason I'm more interested in Terraria. Probably going to get it later.

colinp

Banned
The bolded part is the main reason I'm more interested in Terraria. Probably going to get it later.

Rar, yeah that got me interested, too. Haha, strange that JJX has the clumsier controls. I guess it probably just comes down to preference. Eh, no big rush I'll wait for more impressions. Let us know your thoughts when you get it!

Thanks for the impressions chickdigger.

PittaGAF

Any rumors on the release date of the iPad 5? I want to upgrade my 3 really bad! I am assuming the newer mini will be less powerful than the iPad 5 too.

I'm in the same boat...latest rumors say that next 10 Semptember only new iPhones will be displayed...so new iPads are scheduled later, possibily a new conference in October.
The fact that iOS7 for iPad is behind schedule give strewnght to these rumors :(((
If rumors are true (RETINA iPad mini) I would stay clear of the mini it because it will suffer as the iPad 3 being underpowered for the screen (depends on games tough...I have no use for 3D so the iPad 3 is still perfect for games but wife wants it :) )

Wild rumors are saying they will sport the fabled A7 chip...but I personally do not belive it (last time I heard from old collegues in the market told me the first A7 chips won't be seen till 2014...but who knows...maybe the power of Apple could sped up R&D and production...I doubt it, still I hope for it).

I want certainly a less weight&bezel device tough.

Rar, yeah that got me interested, too. Haha, strange that JJX has the clumsier controls. I guess it probably just comes down to preference. Eh, no big rush I'll wait for more impressions. Let us know your thoughts when you get it!

Thanks for the impressions chickdigger.

jjx uses this weird slide to move (slide left, to move left, etc) and its not quite responsive. terraria's virtual stick thing works decently enough because there is autojump (you can manually jump by pushing up) which makes navigating pretty smooth.

it just works well.

curious if I will buy this again on vita lol.... maybe :X

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You just sold me on Terraria (on the mini), thanks :)

Yeah, I'm on board. Sounds like the controls aren't perfect, but I can deal with a little struggle as long as it's not what defines the experience. Can't wait to build a new, massive and elaborate lair, that was always my favorite thing to do in the PC version.

SteveWD40

Just played it for 10 minutes on the iPad mini: Controls are fine, I am sure they will be better on Vita but so would many games, they work, which is what matters.

I love the music.

Yeah, I'm on board. Sounds like the controls aren't perfect, but I can deal with a little struggle as long as it's not what defines the experience. Can't wait to build a new, massive and elaborate lair, that was always my favorite thing to do in the PC version.

curiosu about console/vita version because the pc one was far from perfect too.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
JJX uses tap and hold to move in a direction, swipes to jump (up/diagonally) and tap and hold to break blocks/build.

Short learning curve and it works really really well. Even depth to it in terms of jumping around (diagonally you can jump two block lengths instead of one, which lends itself to some clever building/digging mechanics).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just booted up Terraria and gave it a go. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm at the bottom of a big hole. Better look at those tutorials methinks...

SmokyDave

Just played it for 10 minutes on the iPad mini: Controls are fine, I am sure they will be better on Vita but so would many games, they work, which is what matters.

I love the music.

Fucking great, isn't it. After about 30 hours you'll totally lose the inability to stop hearing it though.

I was so happy to hear they hadn't changed it. As soon as it started playing I was grinning like an idiot.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just booted up Terraria and gave it a go. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm at the bottom of a big hole. Better look at those tutorials methinks...

Terraria is notorious for being a bit confusing and overwhelming in the first hour or two. We've all been there. Then you craft your first few items, and start to build a shelter, and before you know it, it's 6AM in the morning and you're mining rare minerals in the bowels of hell.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Terraria is notorious for being a bit confusing and overwhelming in the first hour or two. We've all been there. Then you craft your first few items, and start to build a shelter, and before you know it, it's 6AM in the morning and you're mining rare minerals in the bowels of hell.

So... what actually IS the point? Dig? Build? Build what?

I've figured out how to dig and how to place blocks to get out of the big hole I dug. Do I build myself a house or something?

the terraria tutorial is pretty good.

i dont' remember there being one on the pc version.

its pretty much all about exploring, crafting, upgrading gear, fighting bosses, repeat.

hawkinson

Neo Member
I think I must be missing something with Ace Patrol?

Grabbed it at launch; with the British pack; and got extremely bored extremely quickly; as there seems to be a very small pool of missions?

Thats a fair complaint. I found it challenging since I'm not very good at strategy and tactics (easy XCOM:EU is hard enough for me), so playing on the 2nd difficulty setting for Ace Patrol makes it less about the mission.

I played it more than XCOM on my iPad because the mission length was shorter and lower risk, so easier to wind down with, which is what I use my iPad for a lot (games before bed)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So... what actually IS the point? Dig? Build? Build what?

I've figured out how to dig and how to place blocks to get out of the big hole I dug. Do I build myself a house or something?

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Terraria_Wiki

Everyone playing Terraria for the first time should bookmark the wiki. I'd recommend first trying to figure out things on your own, since the joy of discovery is a big part of the game's appeal, but every now and then some help can be nice. There isn't a big community to swap hints with this time around.

But to answer your question, it's hard to describe what "the point" of Terraria is. There's a sense of progression to be found in upgrading your items, learning the systems, and defeating bosses, but at it's core it's a sandbox experience. You don't follow a linear path from start to finish, you do whatever you want.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
// New in the OP //

• local multiplayer up to 4 players and online multiplayer up to 2 players
• a creative mode to unleash your creativity and build everything you can imagine
• a fully featured equip system with more than 390 different wearable items to enhance your adventures or just to make your friends envy!
• an adventure mode that will let you travel between multiple planets with different and intriguing environments
• 750+ crafts to be built
• 1600+ treasures
• 350+ placeable items
• 150+ different creatures and monsters
• and much more

Use 5 different Lums in this beautiful action physics puzzle game. Destroy everything with Cannonball Lum, create spotlights with Light Lum, use Antigravity Lum to make their hideouts fly away, or turn them into glass by using Transparent Lum. Sometimes you just need to turn everything into stone. Stone Lum can handle that.

• 200+ CRAFTING RECIPES - weapons, armor, potions, and more!
• 25+ BLOCK TYPES to build anything you can imagine!
• 75+ MONSTERS!
• 5 BOSSES!
• Over a DOZEN environments to explore!
• Dynamic water & lava, day/night cycles!
• 10+ NPCs to meet and recruit to your home!

---
Also highlighted are the The Room updates, the Iesabel update and a recent BADLAND update.
---

WTB: compact OP impressions for the two warring 2D sandbox games. ;)
(currently I prefer Junk Jack X solely due to the multiplayer) going to write some basic impressions myself later.

SmokyDave

Just lost two straight hours to Terraria. Built myself a competent little house, did a little mining, made myself some copper tools, weapons & armour. I'm finding the controls better than I expected. I feel like I can do anything I could on the PC, only it takes a little longer. I'm using a combination of zoomed out with stick control for big mining and combat, and then zoomed in with touch control for precision work.

Man I wish this had local multi. The missus is sat next to me playing it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom