• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2013: The Curious Case of no Subtitle

Status
Not open for further replies.

igor

Oceanhorn will live and die on people's assumption that it somehow emulates a sort of Wind Waker experience. There's been very little evidence of it thus far though apart from it looking like it, along with a character walking on small islands, riding a boat and placing bombs/button mashing simple enemies.

Show me something akin to an expansive Zelda dungeon and it has my attention.

It's understandable, though they seem so focused on recreating Zelda experience, down to the battles and exploration... who knows maybe it will be a good copy? But it's true, the game will get slagging for what it's NOT rather than what it is, regardless.

I am cautiously optimistic - I am really curious about the fact Nobuo Uematsu and Kenji Ito are collaborating on the score - how legends like that got to work on some iOS game? Maybe it's silly to get the big ideas, but it might be a nice Zelda-esque game.

So anyone know the price, download size, and what devices can run Terraria?

Is this version downgraded in any way compared to the PC/Console versions? (I'm looking at you Minecraft PE)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'd kill for this.
Same. The Vita Lumines is one of the best block puzzle game I've played. I've tried the only existing iOS version and it feels like a cheap knock off. There's gotta be a market there. Just charge for additional skins and power ups and all that.

SteveWD40

So anyone know the price, download size, and what devices can run Terraria?

Is this version downgraded in any way compared to the PC/Console versions? (I'm looking at you Minecraft PE)

I linked a video like 1 page back, looks to be the same version and universal from what they said.

Had to delete Badland to make space, but now I'm playing again. Second time around, game reminds me a lot of Grim Joggers.

Anyone ever play that? Endless 20-person runner, tons of gruesome deaths
I actually interviewed one of the guys from Badland at GDC last week. Go check out my podcast/interview here.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'll stop digging at Oceanhorn after this, but this illustrates just how small these environments in the game seem to be:

8h7xfVz.jpg

Thats looks to be a wall masquerading as sky (at around the minute mark in the trailer and again at 1:18).

The trailer kinda deceptively moves around this by continuously rotating / the game employing heavy fog.

I'm guessing this game will be heavily instanced rather than a seamless world.

igor

This looks fantastic! Reminds me of this Net Yaroze game on PS1... Terra something? Anyone remember?

Terra Incognita? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i6BZATkUBE

Thats looks to be a wall masquerading as sky (at around the minute mark in the trailer and again at 1:18).

The trailer kinda deceptively moves around this by continuously rotating / the game employing heavy fog.

I'm guessing this game will be heavily instanced rather than a seamless world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRxEjmGI9ck This is Phantom Hourglass, start watching around 3:10 mark - The area is similarly small (though really, I thought iPhone could easily feature something as big as WW's ocean). The islands kept loading up as you approached them literally by appearing out of nowhere and growing bigger. That's how the DS Zelda one was at least, quite clever. We will see, I am curious about it - there were a lot of games that were supposed to be more than the flashy trailer suggested.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI65D8fX2OU here's early walkthrough gameplay, you can see the first, simplistic dungeon and the sea exploration which looks smaller than Wind Waker but much bigger and clearer than Phantom Hourglass (lots of people criticised WindWaker's island sparsity so I guess it's not really something to criticise?) God I look like I am defending this game or something haha. But I have to say I am bit optimistic - I can't expect anything on par with zelda games, obviously - AFAIK it's going to be a premium title but I doubt it will be pricier than 5 euro (though I wouldn't mind paying more for something more substantial)

PittaGAF

I'm late to the party but I'm playing Sid Meier Ace Patrol and having a lot of fun with it.

Havig said that, WHY IN THE WORLD ISN'T X-WING THE MINIATURE GAME on iPad yet?!?!?!?!?!

Fantasy Flight Games already published Elder Signs Omens and it's great...so they aren't strangers to the AppStore either.
Do they hate money?

End of rant.

b.e.r.g

Hi iOSers! Dad just got a brand new iPad and I'd love to recommend a game for him! He's never been much of a gamer though, so I need something special. Mom played on her pad for quite some time now, but only games like Ninjafruit and Words With Friends. I know the iOS gaming scene has so much more to offer!

I've recently discovered Kentucky Route Zero and I think something like that would be perfect. A story driver adventure with a noir'ish art style, but can't see that there is an iOS version. Anyone know something similar? I know about Sworcery, but I think it's a bit to interactive for him.

Anyways, any suggestions appreciated!

Hi iOSers! Dad just got a brand new iPad and I'd love to recommend a game for him! He's never been much of a gamer though, so I need something special. Mom played on her pad for quite some time now, but only games like Ninjafruit and Words With Friends. I know the iOS gaming scene has so much more to offer!

I've recently discovered Kentucky Route Zero and I think something like that would be perfect. A story driver adventure with a noir'ish art style, but can't see that there is an iOS version. Anyone know something similar? I know about Sworcery, but I think it's a bit to interactive for him.

Anyways, any suggestions appreciated!
Gemini Rue is a sci fi noir adventure game
The Walking Dead if he's into adventure games and the show

ToxicAdam

Zynga Poker is a solid texas holdem game, if he is into that.

Abble Dabble is a very nice Scrabble game.

Catapult King is a 3D Angry Birds.

Kind of hard to judge what he may like if he has no history of being a gamer. Too many genres to choose from.

hawkinson

Neo Member
I'm late to the party but I'm playing Sid Meier Ace Patrol and having a lot of fun with it.

Havig said that, WHY IN THE WORLD ISN'T X-WING THE MINIATURE GAME on iPad yet?!?!?!?!?!

I think that Ace Patrol is incredibly fun, and it just came out on Steam yesterday for ten bucks all unlocked. Half tempted to double dip.

I think the X wing minis isnt on iOS because of how much they charge for the board game at retail. That tiny box is like 40 bucks. The best they could likely get away with on iOS is 25ish if they go with squeinx prices.

I havent played the xwing minis game, but I sure want to.

PittaGAF

I think that Ace Patrol is incredibly fun, and it just came out on Steam yesterday for ten bucks all unlocked. Half tempted to double dip.

I think the X wing minis isnt on iOS because of how much they charge for the board game at retail. That tiny box is like 40 bucks. The best they could likely get away with on iOS is 25ish if they go with squeinx prices.

I havent played the xwing minis game, but I sure want to.

Well...the same could be said about Elder Signs Omens..and still they published 3 expansions on it (so they made money).
Same for Warhammer Quest and Games Workshop.

They could EASILY sell the base game and then additional 'models' as iAPs.
Or campaigns...or pilots...

I'm sure I would pay and I wouldn't be the only one.

So, there's a new jukebeat song pack...

◆80's songs pack◆

"A Woman Needs Love" by Ray Parker Jr. ( 2 / 5 / 8 )
"Say It Isn't So" by Hall & Oates ( 2 / 5 / 8 )
"Take On Me" by a-ha ( 3 / 6 / 8 )
"Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor ( 2 / 5 / 8 )

Release Date: Aug 28, 2013

Purchase in app for $3.99.

Heel

Eh, this week's releases aren't looking too hot. Hopefully there's some nice Labor Day weekend sales to go along with The Room's update.

PFD

Act 2 for Iesabel just came out as a free update! This deserves a highlight in the OP's updates section IMO.

For those who don't know the game, it is an action RPG like Diablo, and it supports cross-platform multiplayer (PC and iOS) for up to 8 players.

Milla

Neo Member
We've got a new game out in NZ and propagating to the rest of the world. Flick Kick Field Goal 2014 should appeal to fans of College Football in the US.

FREE

I'd be keen to get feedback from anyone who grabs this.

okno

Just bought Iesabel and I love it... when it's not crashing. I'm on an iPad Mini and the damn thing crashes every 5 minutes. Really, really frustrating.

RustyO

I think I must be missing something with Ace Patrol?

Grabbed it at launch; with the British pack; and got extremely bored extremely quickly; as there seems to be a very small pool of missions?

I'd probably grab that!

I think I must be missing something with Ace Patrol?

Grabbed it at launch; with the British pack; and got extremely bored extremely quickly; as there seems to be a very small pool of missions?

Yeah I was the same. It is well put together and seems really fun, but there is not a lot of game there and it gets old fast.

I see it more as the start of something special rather than the end. The same mechanics with more varied units (expand to ground, sea, anti-air etc) and missions? Would be pretty great.

PFD

Just bought Iesabel and I love it... when it's not crashing. I'm on an iPad Mini and the damn thing crashes every 5 minutes. Really, really frustrating.

That sucks. The game runs flawlessly on my iPad 4. Did you try the usual troubleshooting routines (turning off background apps, restarting device, etc.)? Did you play around with the graphics settings in the game? Maybe try lowering the graphics

PFD

iPhone, US. Junk Jack is the first result. This happens a lot. PVZ2 couldn't be found by search for a bit, I had to find it in PopCap's developer info.

Oh, don't search for it. Just click on the link posted earlier by more_badass. New releases tend to take a while to show up on search

And Terraria is downloaded!

JJX sounds cool, especially the bit about other planets, but Terraria is more of an RPG and even has a permadeath mode.

Terriaria seems like you need too much pinch and zoom.

Played a bit too much pc lol. Might wait for vita.

Junk jack x looks a bit more rpg. Hmmmm

Branson

Anyone else really excited about the game controllers for ios7? I kind of cant wait to play some games with buttons.

Re: Castaway Paradise
Free to play.
I don't really want to start this tangent again, but in the interest of giving a developer a single data point of someone who was casually interested in this game, had voted for it on Steam Greenlight, and had planned on checking it out, this response completely turns me off the game.

You may be doing F2P entirely ethically, appropriately, and in a customer friendly way, but too many devs haven't and I have too little time to waste to try and determine which camp you're in.

RustyO

Anyone else really excited about the game controllers for ios7? I kind of cant wait to play some games with buttons.

Yes(?) From what little I know, iOS7 will allow an API for hardware controllers?

Could be awesome for a lot of games that just don't work for me on an iphone

okno

That sucks. The game runs flawlessly on my iPad 4. Did you try the usual troubleshooting routines (turning off background apps, restarting device, etc.)? Did you play around with the graphics settings in the game? Maybe try lowering the graphics

I turned the graphics slider from the middle to lowest setting and it seems to be fine now. Really awesome little game. My only complaint is that your spells don't have ANY weight to them, so they just kind of pass through enemies making hard to tell if it really did anything (I have show damage turned on, so I can see that, but you know what I mean.)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I FINALLY BEAT KID TRIPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My life will no longer be consumed by this game. I'm deleting it. I cannot play for all the coins. I'll never get anything done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom