• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2013: The Curious Case of no Subtitle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
ib0WXJ1dnppVMb.png

ibTuFewdfoxXf.png

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain games that released both towards the end of the previous month and games that have released during the current month -- all games which have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

Also keep an eye out for the ‘GAF iOS Challenges’; events where GAF battle it out on the Game Center leaderboards of a chosen game for both fame and fortune (prizes donated by members of our community).

iCehu4H01OU3C.png

• local multiplayer up to 4 players and online multiplayer up to 2 players
• a creative mode to unleash your creativity and build everything you can imagine
• a fully featured equip system with more than 390 different wearable items to enhance your adventures or just to make your friends envy!
• an adventure mode that will let you travel between multiple planets with different and intriguing environments
• 750+ crafts to be built
• 1600+ treasures
• 350+ placeable items
• 150+ different creatures and monsters
• and much more

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

Junk Jack > Terraria.

[edited for OP]Junk Jack X is heavily inspired by Terraria, it's borrowed a ton of features from it, the RPG elements, NPCs, persistent character development, collecting animals, water physics etc. they are all in there.

The two games are the two sides of the same coin, both have pros and cons against each other. If you play on iPad I'd recommend Terraria, if you play on iPhone I recommend JJX. JJX also has local/online multiplayer via Game Center and the ability to share worlds with others, which Terraria doesn't. Terraria has smaller blocks (more fiddly), JJX has bigger (more user friendly). JJX also has a more "minecraftian" crafting system (and a new optional super casual mode).

I like both for their own reasons, if you like sandbox games you'll find tons of depth and things to do and explore in either.

So far so good, and I am surprised I actually got into the Minecraft style game - the controls are really well thought out though I ended up fighting a lot with menus, ironically - they are quite clumsy. I played Terraria a bit on PC but even there it just felt too fiddly with these small blocks, let alone on iPhone, so for me JJX seems the right choice for the platform, really, even though so far the world doesn't seem as lush and rich as Terraria's generated words do. It has very few, unattractive caves, and on the surface there's little variety, even though the art style is so charming. It's also bit harsh with resources and the day seems super short so exploration is bit tough, and the game progresses at a glacial pace - but I also blame the fact it's my first time with games of this kind and all of it feels really alien to me haha. In a way it reminds me Harvest Moon a lot, which is a game I missed a lot.

It's really charming, and I am going to spend quite a lot of time with it, so as soon as I feel bit more confident I am up to multiplayer sessions : ) Add me on game center: igor_mango

• 200+ CRAFTING RECIPES - weapons, armor, potions, and more!
• 25+ BLOCK TYPES to build anything you can imagine!
• 75+ MONSTERS!
• 5 BOSSES!
• Over a DOZEN environments to explore!
• Dynamic water & lava, day/night cycles!
• 10+ NPCs to meet and recruit to your home!

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

Terraria > Junk Jack
Just lost two straight hours to Terraria. Built myself a competent little house, did a little mining, made myself some copper tools, weapons & armour. I'm finding the controls better than I expected. I feel like I can do anything I could on the PC, only it takes a little longer. I'm using a combination of zoomed out with stick control for big mining and combat, and then zoomed in with touch control for precision work.

Man I wish this had local multi. The missus is sat next to me playing it too.
Much prefer Terraria on the iPad. The iPhone screen is just too small for this game.

I 'preferred' it until the early hours. Now I've slept through my alarm and I'm heading to work feeling like the undead. All for the love of a golden pickaxe.

[edited for OP]The problem with Terraria on iPhone:

ibhHn7Bvn89LoW.png

That said I've spent several hours playing it on iPad where it works really well, there's a tremendous amount of depth to this game.

• 47 high-performance cars
• 9 settings like Venice, French Guiana, Iceland, the Nevada Desert & other exciting locations!
• Discover plenty of hidden shortcuts
• 8 seasons & 180 events in the Career mode
• Stunning visuals thanks to next-gen shaders, real-time geometry reflection & other amazing effects
• Simultaneous multiplayer action for up to 8 opponents!
• Dare friends to asynchronous races

Asphalt 8 OT here

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

If you're a fan of arcade racers, this is a 100% must buy. 110% if you have a newer device. I'm playing on iPhone 4, runs very well and graphics are decent IMO. But the gameplay is what matters and it is awesome. The tracks have tons of alternate routes and are even multi-tiered, more traffic to dodge, crazy jumps, and is just really really fun. For 0.99, this is an absolute steal.

IAP is car packs and credits, but it's really only for the impatient.
Loving asphalt 8. Plays way better than the last need for speed game. It's so addicting I cleaned up space on my iPhone 5 and installed it so I can race on the go.
Game is great, it's a much bigger leap then say 4 to 5 to 6 to 7, this game has a lot of small changes which all add up to a much better feel, the car's have a much better sense of physics going on (like said in their developer video) and the speed is dialled down enough to still feel fast but not driving jet cars everywhere.

One of the best changes to me is the track design, they all have multiple routes and are huge, much better.

Awesome game, kills my iPhone 5 battery though.

• Meet B**k Choy, Bloomerang and Lightning Reed: Just a few of the powerful new plants that will defend your lawn through time.
• New Plant Food and power-ups will take your game to new dimensions.
• Battle the fun-dead on land, on sea and… on the rails? Unlock ultra-challenging (and ultra-fun) endless levels.
• Gather keys to unlock brain teasers and new plants. Collect coins to purchase potent power-ups. Earn stars to take you to new worlds.

Possible to finish all the content without spending any $$$ on IAPs and without even losing a single plant on any of the levels.

PvZ2 OT here

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

I'm really enjoying PvZ 2 so far. Feels a lot like the first, but better actually. I recently replayed PvZ in the past year, so it's fairly fresh in my memory, and this one is just much more fun. Still at the beginning, but I enjoy seeing the corny jokes (the whole plot being about going back in time so crazy Dave can re-eat a delicious taco), the "camel flage" zombies carrying boards, and the boomerang plant is great. Putting the plant food on wall nuts and seeing them put on a permanent suit of armor is great, and I like the plant food mechanic in general as well, seeing a hundred boomerangs or a lettuce plant bomb a lane full of lettuce. I also like the map structure a lot, and the mini-games seem to be in there and fun. Just did the memory game one, which was unexpected and nice.

So yeah, I feel like I robbed them getting it for free. It's also slightly harder than PvZ 1, but no where near Kingdom Rush hard... though maybe PvZ 2 gets harder later on - even so, I very much doubt I'd ever exhaust the 10,000s of coins I'll have accumulated for free at that point.

• Super challenging, fast paced platforming action through 20 levels.
• Elegant controls: tap on the left to jump, tap on the right to throw a rock, and hold down on the right to sprint.
• Silky smooth 60 frames per second.

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

You actually don't control the left/right movement, the kid auto walks in a sidescrolling adventure similar to the Rayman Jungle Run's kind of the auto runners. It's not the usual runner tho (thank god), think Bit Trip Runner. It reminds me of Wonder Boy 1 (SEGA's arcade version), you control the jumps, sprint and can throw rocks at enemies and you have a limited number of lives and coins to collect like the old classic platformers. Level design is pretty brilliant, which you'll realize in full when going for collect 'em all runs: timed jumps will put the spotlight on the enemies/platforms/etc movement and how they're perfectly laid out for high risk = high reward jump mechanics. Kid Tripp runs at 60fps, looks super cute, leaderboards based... And I had difficulty in passing World 1-5... be prepared cause the game is FREAKISHLY HARD! I enjoy challenging games but this is something else, holy fuck! I have to say that I also love how the game makes it really easy to go back to previously beaten levels to try to collect all the coins and achieve the 100% clear medals: it really flows as far as a stop&go mode and makes it much more enjoyable to just try to survive the levels in the main "survival" mode and only after that I'd advise you try to collect everything in the specific LEVELS section.
No IAPS whatsoever, 99c, Universal and a whole 7 MEGABYTES of space needed on your iDevice!
It's the charming and brilliant bastard child of The Impossible Game and Mario Bros.

• Made by a GAFer!
• 50 challenging levels
• One-touch control system
• Intricate puzzles

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

I'm the developer of Gleamer actually. I like to think of it as a twitch/puzzle platformer. It has one-touch controls, as I wanted to try to make a good, challenging platforming game for touch screens without using virtual controls.

In full disclosure, there is one IAP, but it is completely optional. All it does is unlock all the levels in advance, whereas they unlock normally as you play through the game.
I'd recommend Gleamer, especially if you like challenging games.

In Gleamer, your cube is always moving, your only control is to jump. To change direction, you have to bounce off walls, and the more you bounce off walls, the faster you go. Think of it less as a straight platformer, more as a puzzle game, You're not collecting power ups or activating switches. It's all about timing when and where to jump, planning which is the best order to grab the pick ups and best path to take to control your speed and beat the level as fast as possible while avoiding the dangerous red platforms. I say puzzle like, because going too fast or waiting too long to build up speed will throw your entire attempt, so it becomes like a puzzle to plan out the fastest way to complete the level

And it's just strangely satisfying to see your cube flickering across the screen at insane speeds

• Permadeath
• Procedurally generated map - every game is unique
• Destructible environments - Break down walls, blow up cars, set the world on fire
• Scavenge loot from real life players who've died around the world
• Glitch the dog will help defend you, fetch things for you and keep you company

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

Bought the Scavenger pack, great art style, love the atmosphere (wind blowing leaves around), so far not dead so not sure what you "lose" on death, i hope its not currency / unlocks...

• 27 single-player missions, a 'horde' mode, and asynchronous online friendly or ranked matches!
• All your old favourite weapons plus six new ones on iOS, including a couple of returning classics such as the Old Lady and the Homing Pigeon!
• Choose your worms from a new ‘Class’ system - Heavy, Scientist, Scout and classic Soldier in addition to a huge amount of customizable elements.
• Turn on the card mode and alter the start and end of each turn by the playing of strategic cards. Build your deck from 41 fiendishly designed cards!

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

Fantastic, first worms game for iOS that feels mde for the platform, new zones, tons of options, cards are a nice touch. Not bloated in file size like the others, even the icon has lost the tacky T17 logo. The Dpad makes it though, so much easier. It could use more maps and voice banks but other than that, recommended.

• Enjoy the tension of fighting with intuitive slingshot fighting controls!
• 11 playable characters: Taekwondo, Boxing, Zui Quan (Drunken Fist), Shaolin Kung Fu, Jeet Kune Do, Mantis boxing, etc.
• Online multiplayer via game center
• Manage your own gym, Train your team in the "CAMPAIGN" menu
• Thrilling psychological warfare

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

This is pretty fun, glad I bought it. But with only four moves per character and the simplistic nature of the game, I can see it getting repetitive. I haven't tried the campaign mode yet, still gotta unlock it. Maybe it adds enough to keep things fresh.
TA impressions:

FANTASTIC! Superb game. Truly made for touchscreens. While games like Kinetic Damage bring you incredible, deep fighting mechanics that make your jaw drop when you realize..."Hey! This is on a touchscreen!", Kung Fu Jumpu truly was made by people you can imagine understand the platform. The gameplay's not just "Oh, hey...I'll fling this dude and wow!"...it's pretty strategic. You have to calculate distances, predict what your opponent may do next, etc. It's like Rock Paper Scissors mixed with Angry Birds, mixed with Street Fighter. Stupid easy recommendation.
Um, this is rad.

rymdkapsel is Swedish for space capsule

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

I'm enjoying Rymdkapsel (or whatever it is). It took a little while to wrap my head around what is going on, but then it all sort of clicked.

Refreshingly, you are not then bombarded with a whole heap of complicated mechanics. You just go about your business with what you have learnt at the start. Because of that it is a joy to play and a rather relaxing experience, even if it is still tricky.

It might not last me forever because of this, but that is ok. Well worth a look.
I love the music and the atmosphere of this game. It has a nice tutorial that explains all the rules. It's a simple game, but it can get really tough.

However I have a few issues with the game. First, if you have two rooms of a certain resource (say reactor) you can't choose/prioritize which room to deplete first, AND your minions don't necessarily go to the one that is closest to them. Consequently, at one point I had minions travel all the way across the map to reach a resource, and then al the way back to construct, even though there was another room right next to the construction site. This pretty much lost me the game. There was no way for me (that I know of) to point them to the nearby node.

Another issue, though this is less critical, is the lack of AI/coordination beteeen minions. When you're building something, sometimes two minions can carry over two blocks of a certain resource even though you only need one, and as one of them delivers the resource, the other one stops since its resource is no longer needed, drops whatever it's carrying (thereby costing me an extra block), and goes to collect the next required resource.

I get what they're trying to do here with the less is more approach. No micromanagement, no need to worry about details. But when your AI is inadequate, it can get really frustrating.
Rymdkapsel though is great and while I hoped for something that is more campaign based, it's kind of everything I wished star command would be, really. It's addictive (I played the game and lost by the 16th wave at one go) and it looks great - though it does feel like it's lacking something more substantial - there is tetris-like room mechanic, tower defense element, a bit of management sim which all gels beautifully together, but I wish it was fleshed out more - you just grow your base, defend it and that's it. No smaller goals, no little things to shake things up a bit. Asking price is a bit too steep by comparison all things considered.

• Use your fingers to manipulate a beam crossing the extent of a circle. Dodge scratches while you collect notes to progress to the next track!
• Ten original, full length electronic tracks stream seamlessly to create an endless DJ set!
• "Standard Mode" challenges you to a level-based experience, introducing new game mechanics as the music progresses!
• "Full Mix Mode" provides an endless experience with a steadily increasing difficultly!

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

I decided to get Drop Chord after all, and damn, this is a really really nice game. One problem might be the fact you need to keep fingers on the screen at all times which is bit tiring, especially if your screen protector is rubbery like my Zagg one (reduces a lot of traction) but other than that, this is the game in veins of Super Hexagon which I really really dig.

It has nice electronic music and graphics that reminds me of these old tech demos on various platforms. It may seem like its screwing with your eyes, there's so much going on, but the gameplay area is visible, I didn't have any problems anyway.
The gameplay is challenging but it has a really nice flow to it just like in Super Hexagon. There's lot of distractions and variety to gameplay and I havent played that much really. There are simple dots, there are charged ones, there are ones to avoid and there are special swipe areas that you need to cover (though I havent "got" that feature fully yet). Every now and then there's bonus stage and a special Ouendan style stage which requires you to tap targets with one finger or two (though 2 fingers cause difficulties and need to be tweaked).
That's all in first 5 minutes of the game or so - it's very hectic and challenging and really fun. If you needed a challenge for your reflexes this is the game.

igRPTTp77G20t.png

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
ibrzEIOVAKtwjM.png

Here are a few video reviews of iCade supported titles (thanks Alextended!)

iCade hardware

Blazing Star
Shogun: Rise of the Renegade
Gridrunner
ElectroMaster
Enborn-X
Midway Arcade
Vectrex Regeneration
Temple Run

iboTkQfRDEmhoh.png

Here is a summary of other iOS game/iOS device related threads!

iOS Hidden Gems

iOS Apps |OT|
iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

iOS 6 |OT|
iPhone 5 |OT|
iPad |OT|
iPad Mini |OT|

ibllVuuZf89MBH.png

Rules

• Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you want to be added or taken off the list, following this text formatting:

GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)

• When adding someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you are already on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS devices(s) owned, or to just change your existing GC profile.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's OK to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFers challenging us on the friends leaderboards.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option.
  • Remember: Your real name will be visible to your GC friends.
  • You can add everyone on the list at once; click the second sheet on the iOS Membership list and read the instructions, works on iOS and Macs

###
The form to enter yourself to the list is here: quote to see
###

i7WbZ38L31BER.png

Q - Should I buy this new high-priced game or wait for a sale?
A - Maybe! Just be aware that iOS games have a tendency to go on sale frequently and unpredictably, even recent games can be a dollar rather than premium $4-5. Spend your pack of gum money wisely.
As a recommendation, set up a RSS feed for the price changes on http://appshopper.com/ which will then notify you of any price fluctuations for old and new games alike.

Q - I just got an iPhone/iPad. What are the best games?
A - Best iOS Games Ever v1 / Best iOS Games Ever v2 / . You're welcome.

Q- For gaming, should I get the iPad Mini, or iPad 4?
A- Both have their pro's and con's. Mini is cheaper, and arguably a better grip for gaming, but the screen isn't as great and the device is less powerful than the 4. Most games these days all run fine on it, but I'm not sure about in a year.

Q- I'm a new iOS user, what non-gaming apps should I get ASAP?
A - This thread would be a great place to start. Asking here wouldn't hurt either!

Q - How do I back up my game saves for games that do not support iCloud save games?
A - Use a file manager program such as i-FunBox (PC/Mac) - It's free and requires no jailbreak.
i-FunBox has many different features, but to back up save games you would just want to do the following:

• Click the iFunBox Classic tab
  • Connect your iOS device, via WiFi or USB, it should then appear in the Connected Devices list on the left side of the UI.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to back up save games for.
  • Select the Documents folder and copy it to your PC/Mac - this will copy the folder and all the contents. This contains your save files and settings for the game (a bunch of .lua files).
To restore a backed up save game do the reverse.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to restore save games for.
  • Select the Documents folder and choose to copy from PC/Mac
  • Navigate to where you saved the backed up Documents folder on your PC/Mac, open it and select all the files within it and open them. This will copy the folder and all the contents back onto your iOS device.
  • Restart/fully close the game itself and your saves should be back!
Check that the file structure of the game is GameName > Documents > files after you're done (no Documents folder within the Documents folder!), otherwise the game will not recognize your restored saves!

Q - How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?
A - Your real first and last name (taken from your Apple ID) will be shown to your GC friends. If you value that information and want GAF's leaderboards to show your GAF nickname instead, here's how you do it:
  • Go to http://appleid.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID details via "Manage your Apple ID".
  • In the "Name, ID and Email Addresses" section, click Edit on the Your Name field at the top.
  • Change you First and Last name (you must enter both) to whatever you like (e.g. First Name: Tunesmith, Last Name: GAF)
Done, now that's who you're going to be listed as on your friend's Game Center leaderboards. This will affect Game Center *and* your Apple ID. If it's the same account you use for App Store/iTunes, you will still be able to use it for iTunes/App Store's purchases (you can still buy whatever you want like you could before) *BUT* in the receipt it'll show your nickname or whatever you chose as First Name and Last Name when you changed those fields. The first time you will use the modified account on App Store/iTunes, you will be asked to verify the account by re-entering the 3 digits code of the credit card's CCV security code (if you make your purchases using a credit card).

iplfFuywJPpmt.png

Thanks to Fuu & Dash Kappei for handling the community list's past/present duties, Dash Kappei for running the iOS Challenges and finally past OT hosts for having done a wonderful job thus far for our community!

iIvAKGXMKuxW9.png

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
ibrPwjEsMV3Qg5.png

Challenge's Timeframe

Starts June 28, 06:01 (PM) GMT IT'S OVER!
Ends: July 5, 23:45 (PM) GMT

Current GMT / World Time

Countdown to the end of the challenge:
t1373025300z0.png

TWITTER: @GAF_iOS_scores #GAFiOSchallenge
We will use Twitter to regularly post news about the challenges, screenshots of the submitted highscores, updates about the current highscore holder, reveals of the prizes put up for the challenge etc.
Follow us!

This Month's GAF iOS Challenge dedicated thread

GAF's iOS Challenge 8: Super Hexagon

Chosen Game

Super Hexagon

Specific conditions/game modes

- GAME MODE: Hexagon

Rules
  • To participate you just need the game and to add Dash Kappei on Game Center: (Dash Kappei GAF). As soon as you fire up the game and play it for the first time while being signed in to Game Center, you'll be part of the Challenge. That's it.
    Add "From GAF" and your nickname on GAF in your request or Dash Kappei won't add you to friends.
  • Challenge organizer can participate but is not eligible for any prizes.
  • Screenshots of the TOP 20* scores (TBD) will be posted in this specific post and in the specific GAF's iOS Challenge threads that exist for the duration of the challenge, so DON'T add me on Game Center or at least don't compete in the weekly challenge if you don't want your real name to be shown.
    You can easily avoid your real name to appear if you follow the few simple steps on the FAQ Section of this thread's OP (first post above) "How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?".
  • GAFers only, I won't accept requests from non-gaffers. Sorry lurkers.
  • Check the GAF GC members list handled by Dash Kappei if you want to add others, but being on the list isn't mandatory to play the iOS GAF Challenge. If you want to be on the list send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM following this exact text formatting:
    GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)
    When you add someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Scores are valid only for the "This Week" section on the Leadearboards and those scores made before the challenge won't be counted for the full final results, even if mistakenly counted during the challenge.
  • You can still enter the Challenge even if it has already started, granted that I can accept your GC friend request on time. You can join the contest at any time, even if there's an hour to go.
  • Posting your new scores in the monthly iOS thread is encouraged as well as piosting your Game Center profile for others to check on your score when you do so. This is not at all mandatory anyway.
  • If you submit some ridiculousy good highscore you might be asked for proof: take an in-game screen (repeat: in-game and NOT of Game Center's own leaderboards) and post it in the challenge's thread when you die/loose and the game shows the score (grab a screenshot pushing the HOME + Power buttons at the same time). Failing to provide proof might even invalidate your score.
  • If you get caught cheating (messing with Game Center or similar scummy tactics) you can probably kiss your NeoGAF's account goodbye forever.

It's not at all forbidden to post about the challenge in the iOS Gaming |OT| like we did in the past, but this specific thread is here with the purpose to avoid the flood of posts sinking all others for a whole week in the TG's thread.
We also have prizes, plenty of awesome goods for you guys to earn!
If you're a DEVELOPER and would like to put up some prizes (no matter how "little"!) related to your game/s (a few AppStore's codes, swag, anything!) for the next challenges, just CONTACT ME via PM.
Check below for all the infos.

i6mPod5muv6Zr.png

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge 8 |Official Thread|

SUPER HEXAGON: "You're Already Dead" [Click to go to the Official Thread for this Challenge]

Chosen Game

•Super Hexagon

Game Mode

•Hexagon

Current Challenge's Highscore Results

TOP20 [Click Here for the FULL Final Results -72 participants]

iWOlxk3sJHJLv.png

c3fhBfz.jpg

FJJlB9q.jpg

"A Masterpiece of Design Purity" - Edge: NINE out of TEN

-Super Hexagon on iTunes
(Universal App, $2.99/€2.79/£2.29
WLca6Yp.jpg

Developed by: Terry Cavanagh (VVVVVV)
Music By: Chipzel
Super Hexagon OST for purchase/listening: http://chipzelmusic.bandcamp.com/album/super-hexagon-ep
Site: http://superhexagon.com/
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sz0mI_6tLQ&feature=player_embedded
Super Hexagon |OT| by Wario64 (thanks!)

Super Hexagon is a twitchy arcade style game where you navigate a triangle clockwise or counter-clockwise around a hexagon while avoiding obstacles. It's much better than it sounds on paper, the soundtrack is killer and the game is the brain child of Indie's darling Terry Canavagh (of VVVVV's fame).

Try out Hexagon for free [Flash] : http://distractionware.com/games/flash/hexagon/

Gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1celNlGu78

mzl.qmdcvcnb.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.lqldmvro.480x480-75.jpg

-
tVhsdgt.jpg

If you're a DEVELOPER and would like to put up some prizes (no matter how "little"!) related to your game/s (a few AppStore's codes, swag, anything!) for the next challenges, or if you're a fellow Gaffer who wants to just throw something neat the way of our challenges, simply CONTACT ME via PM.
Just check out some of the past GAF Challenges below to get an idea on how it works out.

~

•You see, Gaffers are mostly awesome dudes and member Pray For Death is definitely amongst that kind! PFD decided to support the competition by putting up a $10 US iTunes card for the WINNER of the Challenge!
ar6SWUT.jpg

•Then you have our kind friends at PikPok and Sidhe who've sponsored so many times with cool swag that I don't know how to thank them anymore. They're offering the 3 Steam codes for Shatter:
BEjG5g8CUAAVqpO.jpg:large

...and also something at least as good as the game itself (which is great, btw): 3 codes for the OST. These prizes will be for the #3, #4 and #5 scores.

GLLHcHu.jpg

Support these kind gaffers, check out their games!

You can reach the pikpok gaffers at the Official Website and on Twitter @pikpokgames

•I will contributing to the prize pot myself with surprise Steam codes for beloved Indie games like Limbo, Braid, Capsized+ and so on! The number of prizes will be defined at the end of the contest.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

custom_1238730989106_Life-street.jpg

Our former challenges

Tiny Wings ( March 8th to March 15th, 2013) - All scores, 85 participants- Winner: AngryMoth
Canabalt (Ended on p357 of |OT2|, w/o thread) - All Scores, 63 participants - Winner: Dynamite Ringo Matsuri
Mr. Ninja (August 1st to August 7th, 2011) - All Scores, 74 participants - Winner: Koodo
Flick Kick Football (August 16th to August 23rd, 2011) - All Scores, 109 participants - Winner: Numble
Hard Lines (September 1st to September 8th, 2011) - All Scores, 98 participants - Winner: -Pyromaniac-
Bit.Trip.Beat Blitz (September 29th to October 6th, 2011) - All Scores, 33 participants - Winner: Numble

• Canabalt / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 63 participants

Congratulations, Dynamite Ringo Matsuri aka Zazen_Incidents!

ibrS8TAsOXWgsG.png

• MR. Ninja / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 74 participants

Congratulations, Kodoo!

ijhFdh6M3fxaO.png

• Flick Kick Football / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 109 participants

Congratulations, numble!

ilCWvviI5nu2p.png

• Hard Lines / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 98 participants

Congratulations, -Pyromaniac-!

iLD9h4jArecmq.png

• Bit Trip Blitz / Final Results -All scores 33 participants (1 retired)

Congratulations, numble!

ibenBBeYVunYaq.png

• Tiny Wings / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 85 participants

Congratulations, AngryMoth!

iJdOkZqa8ha8h.png

Thanks to:
Tunesmith for the new sweet banners, TOP 10s and helping out with GAF's iOS List and the GAF Challenges; Thanks to all the devs and publishers who have supported us in the past (PikPok, Beril, Simogo, Skybound... shoot me a pm if I've forgot to mention you, sorry about that!) and also of course to the GAF community at large but especially to some members who have contributed to the prizes' pool (like Pray For Death, Wario 64, myself ahah... again, contact me by pm if I've forgot to mention you -shame on me!-) and/or have been vocally supporting the challenges and helped me in making this contest a success and, more importantly, a lot of FUN!

Are the puzzles in Tiny Thief really "mind boggling"? I agree that it's charming and I don't regret buying it, but you're basically just tapping stuff until something happens. Making it out as a sort of puzzle game is a stretch IMO.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Are the puzzles in Tiny Thief really "mind boggling"? I agree that it's charming and I don't regret buying it, but you're basically just tapping stuff until something happens. Making it out as a sort of puzzle game is a stretch IMO.

The later levels are more complex and doesn't lend themselves to the crazy tapping technique you describe. I personally didn't do that myself much apart from the very beginning, I let the game do it's thing and I played by its rules so-to-speak. Thouroughly enjoyed it all the way to the end, all the secrets threwn along included (ending reward was fun too).

I want more levels for it!

Puddle runs surprisingly well on my iPhone 4. Great game btw

Any impressions of Pivvot yet?

--
Wanted to get a few more opinions
Now I'm deciding between Incoboto Mini and Mage Gauntlet. Can only get one. One GAFfer already called MG "utterly fantastic" and I enjoy action RPGs, but I'm also enjoy puzzle platformers and Incoboto looks excellent

How are the difficulty of these games? Length? Replay value?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bookmarked, subscribed, everything!

Magnus

Subbed.

Still don't understand how action games or SHMUPS, etc. can work on an iOS device. I love my phone and pad for things like board games, or games with simple controls, like Tiny Wings, or Cut the Rope, but precision platforming/shooting? How?

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
When I played Joe Danger months ago, I feel like there were touch response issues. Were those ever fixed?

Also picked up Sid Meier's Pirates on sale and Tiny Thief.

Someone sell me on rymdkapsel—what is unique here? Is it fun?

Subbed.

Still don't understand how action games or SHMUPS, etc. can work on an iOS device. I love my phone and pad for things like board games, or games with simple controls, like Tiny Wings, or Cut the Rope, but precision platforming/shooting? How?
Are you new to IOS gaming? For precision platformers with great touch controls, I'd recommend the League of Evil games and Penumbear. Shumps, I'd recommend Phoenix HD. Roguelikes with good controls, I'd say Solomon's Keep and Solomon's Boneyard.

The best controls I've found are dual stick or split touch. Platformers, it's a different story; the devs just have to get it right. Not all do, but the ones that perfect their controls, the platforming comes naturally.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Subbed.

Good scrolling shmups have what's called 'relative touch' controls, whereby you move your finger/thumb around the screen and that's where the ship/thing you control that shoots bullets is moving. This works extremely well in most cases, Sine Mora that's in the OP recently added such controls, although by nature of how that game's ship works, they're not as snappy as I personally would've liked. CAVE's shooters (DoDonPanchi etc.) are exquisite however.

A platform game I really love is Mos Speedrun, which is all about speedrunning stages and making precise jumps - works pretty much flawlessly.

I would say in short that if the developer has a grasp of the iOS platform and designs clever controls and systems then iOS is just as viable for shooters and platformers as any other. "Shit developers" brings shit implementations, largely from not understanding what suits the platform.

colinp

Banned
I tried playing Sine Mora on my Mini this morning and just got frustrated with the controls. Is it just my finger? I can't glide smoothly over the screen for long periods of time and my finger ended up kinda aching. Really strange.

Anyway, great job on the op!

muddream

Banned
The number of players on the Lums gamecenter leaderboard is depressingly low, which is a shame because Lums is probably the best cute physics puzzle game, yet...really don't understand why it flew under the radar.

The quote in the OP is spot on, it's similar to Angry Birds, but without the parts that make Angry Birds frustrating. The different Lums compliment each other really well to enable rather complex puzzles as the game progresses.

Flunkie

Banned
The number of players on the Lums gamecenter leaderboard is depressingly low, which is a shame because Lums is probably the best cute physics puzzle game, yet...really don't understand why it flew under the radar.

The quote in the OP is spot on, it's similar to Angry Birds, but without the parts that make Angry Birds frustrating. The different Lums compliment each other really well to enable rather complex puzzles as the game progresses.

The objective of this thread is now to sell more copies of Lums.

SmokyDave

Wait, but there is a subtitle?!

That said, the subtitle makes reference to the fact that there's no subtitle!

Witchcraft.

SteveWD40

Can anyone confirm you can flip the screen in Puddle? someone on TA seemed to think not (bush league if so). Also, the video Sanaku posted looked a bit choppy, hows the frame-rate?

I am always nervous of PC ports, Telltales have been a mixed bag (Poker Night 2 runs a bit shitty and letterboxed for example).

Roi

AMM08EU_accessories_b.jpg

Yesterday I bought a gaming controller from Targus, saw it for 2.50 so I just had to buy it.

I must say I'm really surprised how good it's working, it only works for a couple games but for those games it's perfect!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BREATH OF FIRE VI ANNOUNCED :D

Keasar

Dropchord keeps crashing for me. It worked fine the first time I played it but every time I try to start it up it crashes after a while during the loading screen. This has happened many times before in other games too. Ive tried restarting the iPad or re downloading the game but no results so far.

Anyone have an idea what might cause this?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Puddle runs surprisingly well on my iPhone 4. Great game btw

Any impressions of Pivvot yet?

--
Wanted to get a few more opinions

I really enjoyed Incoboto, didn't really like Mage Gauntlet. Incoboto was like a 2D Portal, MG was just a retro hack and slash game. Neither would have that much replay value unless you're OCD or really forgetful or something.

But y'know, dirt cheap games. Get one now, get another later when you've manages to save all the pennies up.

Picked up Civ Revolution. The demo was good. Can anyone vouch for this? I'll assume its worth 99c.

Yeah very good pickup. There are some IAP like multiplayer but you'll know if and when you want them.

Just following up on Rymdkapsel after playing it more and I still really like it. It is really nicely balanced between being simple enough to draw you into playing whilst still having enough to challenge you.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Picked up Civ Revolution. The demo was good. Can anyone vouch for this? I'll assume its worth 99c.

One of my most played iOS titles to date, I have both the iPhone and iPad versions.
IAPs exist but are purely for additional content (multiplayer and additional units for the different Leaders you can play as). Base game is a fully-featured version of Revolution which came out on consoles.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Funniest thing about the BoF 6 announcement is that even if you want to give it a fair shake it's not certain if it will be localized. Lol.

edit: my current stance is that I'll give it a try as long as it isn't Mobage-style.

Goli

Funniest thing about the BoF 6 announcement is that even if you want to give it a fair shake it's not certain if it will be localized. Lol.

edit: my current stance is that I'll give it a try as long as it isn't Mobage-style.

It's not a Mobage game, you're in luck!

Also, I think the subtitle to one of these monthly threads should be something like "mobile ≠ social" at some point, it just pains me to see that pretty much everyone thinks so and thus ignores the great things that get released every week ;-;.

Fuu

Just checked a video of Knightmare Tower and it looks pretty fun but I wasn't expecting it to be $3 (over my mobile impulse purchase threshold!). Appshopped it, I have a full page of games I downloaded last month that I still want to try. I've been meaning to get back to Chaos Rings Omega too, started it but stopped at the part where Vahti
goes into labor

Beat McPixel a few days ago, some truly funny stuff happens in that one and it was useful during some airport waiting I had to endure. It's still installed but I haven't felt the need to touch the (user created, I think?) DLC.

It's not a Mobage game, you're in luck!

Also, I think the subtitle to one of these monthly threads should be something like "mobile ≠ social" at some point, it just pains me to see that pretty much everyone thinks so and thus ignores the great things that get released every week ;-;.
I'm wary of Capcom going down a similar path with these announcements though, I wish there was a video so we could gauge how it plays.

And yeah, a lot of people still have the notion that mobile games are always cheap cash-ins and stuff like that video, it's unfortunate.

chris121580

Just checked a video of Knightmare Tower and it looks pretty fun but I wasn't expecting it to be $3 (over my mobile impulse purchase threshold!). Appshopped it,
I haven't played it yet but the fact it's tilt controls only kind of made me uninterested. I'll wait for impressions.

Fuu

I haven't played it yet but the fact it's tilt controls only kind of made me uninterested. I'll wait for impressions.
Ah I didn't know, what a letdown. :( I watched this trailer and thought it was touch only. I think the only tilt control game I managed to enjoy for a long time was The Incident.

edit: video of it being played on an iPad. Hmm..

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tiny Thief looks awesome

It is pretty awesome. A nice mix of puzzles and exploration. It doesn't require much effort until the last two sets of levels, but I haven't really minded the lack of difficulty. It's a charming, laid back experience. The art and the fun of interacting with the various environments have been enough to hold my interest. For a buck no one should pass it up.

Should I double dip? I have it on my PC but never really got to play too much.

Yes. Loved playing it on my iPad. It works well for tablet interface. One of my favorite games now.

My iPad 2 could handle it, barely. The big missions (bases, battleships) would cause crashes, but it auto-saves meant I never lost anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom