• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2013: The Curious Case of no Subtitle

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveWD40

There are arguments for both, so it will come down to what your playing on / preferance.

For me, Terraria has more depth, more to find and do (islands in the sky, dungeons, mas bosses, crazy loot etc...).

JJx is soild though.

I played 2 solid hours of JJX but I'm unable to prevent the monsters from spawning, even though I have torches setup. Is it not possible to prevent them from spawning?
You could play in "Peaceful" mode which definitely gets rid of them.
I've done it* and it works

* don't look at me like that

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The problem with Terraria on iPhone:

llCfvMC.png

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yep. The "scope" is a great solution for showing you what's being blocked by your finger, but it's not so helpful when the pane goes off screen. They need to patch that ASAP

SteveWD40

Honestly, I think Terriara should have been iPad only ala Frozen Synapse etc..., many PC games wouldn't work on a phone but work fine on an iPad, this is one of them.

Dingotech

Interesting RE Terraria on iPhone.

Do you guys think the screen on the Vita will be big enough to fix the issues? Though I suppose physical controls might be able to fix it as well?

I'd pick up an iOS copy but I don't play our iPad, I find it way too bulky to be comfortable. Much rather play on my PC or the Vita at home.
(Oh and I do own an iPhone and a crap load of games)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Honestly, I think Terriara should have been iPad only ala Frozen Synapse etc..., many PC games wouldn't work on a phone but work fine on an iPad, this is one of them.

Eh, I would disagree. Obviously I'm not operating with as much grace as I would with keyboard and mouse, or maybe even a larger touchscreen, but I have been competently playing the game on my phone. Aside from a few minor issues (like the one above), I've been quite impressed with how well 505 adapted the controls to touch screen. I'm having a good time without being frustrated, at least so far. It's about as good as you could hope for all things considered.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Interesting RE Terraria on iPhone.

Do you guys think the screen on the Vita will be big enough to fix the issues? Though I suppose physical controls might be able to fix it as well?

I'd pick up an iOS copy but I don't play our iPad, I find it way too bulky to be comfortable. Much rather play on my PC or the Vita at home.
(Oh and I do own an iPhone and a crap load of games)

I should think physical controls + backtouch would work fairly well in this game.

SeanR1221

Decided to skip both terraria and JJ and buy the red pepper/extra sun in PvZ2 :-x

I've been playing the game like crazy (easily 1-2 hours a day) so it was worth it to me

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hey guys, any chance the OT would consider this game for next month's OP inclusion?

The game just came out yesterday, it's called Soul Grinder, and it's made by a local dev here in Northern Ireland, heck my future brother-in-law even provided them with the music. So yeah, they are good friends and they have put so much heart and effort into getting the game out there.

Here's their official stuff.

SHOOT STUFF! COLLECT COINS! SCORE POINTS!

Strap on your jetpack and blast your way through hordes of monsters, robots and no good punks to reach the mighty Soul Grinder!
Master the hard as nails gameplay to grab the highest score in this unrelenting shoot 'em up!

24 action packed levels across 3 worlds!
Console style gameplay on your iOS device!
Intense arcade challenge!
Intuitive controls designed specifically for touch devices.
Customise your player with over 30 masks!

IT'S TIME TO ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY!

Trailer
iTunes Shop Link
Screens:
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg

I know I'm a bit bias but its a really fun shoot em up, with controls that make sense for touch, and they feel accurate and responsive - levels are short but plentiful too, so it doesn't feel like a chore to regain momentum when you die.

There a ton of unlockable stuff too. And it's a buck. No IAP too.

They did a better job than I could have hoped and I'm proud of them.

tops2

Neo Member
I'm also one debating Terraria vs Junk Jack X. I've never been into these crafting games and like action games and games with loot, so Terraria sounds to be a good fit. I'm mostly worried about some of the conflicting control opinions, especially about it being hard to place blocks accurately. I'm interested in JJX just cause of the great dev support and the talk of the game being built for iOS. Due to limited free gaming time, I only want to pick one up now..decisions decision. Lol..

SteveWD40

I'm also one debating Terraria vs Junk Jack X. I've never been into these crafting games and like action games and games with loot, so Terraria sounds to be a good fit. I'm mostly worried about some of the conflicting control opinions, especially about it being hard to place blocks accurately. I'm interested in JJX just cause of the great dev support and the talk of the game being built for iOS. Due to limited free gaming time, I only want to pick one up now..decisions decision. Lol..

Ok, well here is one of the best ways to decide: is multi-player a factor?

All things aside, that's something only JJx has.

If not, then I would vote Terraria for the depth.

tops2

Neo Member
Ok, well here is one of the best ways to decide: is multi-player a factor?

All things aside, that's something only JJx has.

If not, then I would vote Terraria for the depth.

Thanks. Yeah..I personally don't care about multiplayer. I'm leaning towards Terraria.. I should pick one of these up to "ruin" my long weekend of getting rest. ;-)

SteveWD40

I have been holding off on this game. .... No idea why, don't ask! Worth grabbing?

Do you like dungeon crawling? do you like old school board games like Hero Quest, WHQ or even D&D? Do you like randomized dungeons, minimal plot (but existent) and lots of loot with various quality's?

It's got very satisfying combat, a fair whack of IAP (all worthy though imho) and some of the best presentation and music on iOS, it oozes character and charm, is full of lore and overall is my best iOS game this year by far (and of all time I reckon).

It plays like a dream as well, smooth as butter.

Oh and the developer supports it.

ParityBit

Do you like dungeon crawling? do you like old school board games like Hero Quest, WHQ or even D&D? Do you like randomized dungeons, minimal plot (but existent) and lots of loot with various quality's?

It's got very satisfying combat, a fair whack of IAP (all worthy though imho) and some of the best presentation and music on iOS, it oozes character and charm, is full of lore and overall is my best iOS game this year by far (and of all time I reckon).

It plays like a dream as well, smooth as butter.

Oh and the developer supports it.

Sounds awesome. What are the IAPs? Since you pay for the game I would expect there to be none(ish)

SteveWD40

Sounds awesome. What are the IAPs? Since you pay for the game I would expect there to be none(ish)

Expansions, new characters (2 so far) and a whole new campaign. So the base game you buy is just fine on it's own, and you can keep playing after you finish the campaign so there is good value there, no paywalls or anything.

ToxicAdam

Debating wether I get Terraria now or wait for the (probably $15) Vita version... hmm.

I've only played the PC version (about 60 hours), but I would just wait for the Vita version. Tight, responsive controls are pretty important once you get to the deeper levels.

--- /// ---

This is a side question for the thread, but what has been your most disappointing IOS game in the past year or so?

Mine was probably Middle Manager of Justice.

igor

Shoot, as soon as I get money on my account on monday I am getting Junk Jack X, you guys have made me really curious about it. I don't have an iPad and Terraria looks fiddly even on PC so JJX is the only choice for me. Plus the graphics look too awesome. How does the multiplayer work? Can I connect with any of you guys for play?

Zeth

30+ (thirty) hours in M&M Clash of Heroes this week. Wow! What a game. Had no idea it had so much content. Sure it's a bit padded - but it's a lot of fun.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Shoot, as soon as I get money on my account on monday I am getting Junk Jack X, you guys have made me really curious about it. I don't have an iPad and Terraria looks fiddly even on PC so JJX is the only choice for me. Plus the graphics look too awesome. How does the multiplayer work? Can I connect with any of you guys for play?
Via Game Center, any friend you have or a random person. It's just 2 players online. You can host and join, it's the hosts world you'll play in, it's downloaded to the other player.
4 players via local wifi.
Has text chat.
Worlds available (aka tile sets/planets) depend on the hosts progress in Adventure mode (campaign type thing).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
30+ (thirty) hours in M&M Clash of Heroes this week. Wow! What a game. Had no idea it had so much content. Sure it's a bit padded - but it's a lot of fun.
I'm bummed I missed the sale at $0.99 last month.

868-Hack, a new roguelike by Michael Brough (Zaga-33, Corrypt, Glitch Tank) came out this week. I bought it but haven't played it yet but if it's anything like his other games I'm going to be addicted. Just giving a heads-up to anyone else into his previous games.

Oh, it's priced so high right now because awhile back he got criticism by other indie developers about how his games are really good and that if he put more work into the visuals he could charge more and in return make more money on them.

If interested, you can read more about it here: http://ellaguro.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-talk-of-magicians.html

It's a long article but very interesting. Make sure to check out the comments because Michael himself posts in there as well as Zach Gage, another developer (Spell Tower, Bit Pilot) who was one of the people telling him how if he changed some things he could make more money. It's all a good read.

Oh, and a link to the new game: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id635749911?mt=8

PittaGAF

I love the Warhammer world, and played the hell out of Hero Quest when I was a kid. Very tempted. How does it play on a phone?

Mind that on iPhone text is very tiny.
I played A TON of hours on iPad (over 120) and after that (on holiday) I continued playing on iPhone (another 40 hours)...personally I had no problems but I already knew both campaigns story out of my memory.
It's doable, tiny but doable and the thought of having Warhammer Quest (in a awesome package) in your pocket is crazy.
Found that the inventory thing is much more suited to the iPhone than the iPad.

My 'separated at birth twin' already said everything, I couldn't agree more.
I must add, in before rage, there in in the game a completely useless 'buy gold' iap.
It makes more harm with it's presence than anything...just ignore it.
You will soon realize that being ultra rich at the start, besides spoiling the fun, is useless (you will die nonetheless).

PERSONALLY, if you never played the game in the boardgame form...I suggest starting adventurer.
If you like it...switch as soon as you can to hardcore...the way it's meant to be played.
Adventurer is really really easy...and easier the more you level up.

Hardcore has permadeath (but the game dynamics doesn't make it bad as it sounds), extended rules and a MUCH more thrilling and strategical approach, plus a lot better leveled mobs.
IF you, after a while, think to get the expansion (you should)...do it immediately, not after you are done with the main campaign because it adds a full region where you can go freely whenever you want, with low level dungeons too.
As for additional characters...pick up which you are fond of...
Personally I bought everything to support Rodeo, but I'm still playing with the initial four.

PittaGAF

My team will probably be: Waywatcher, Warrior Priest, Shadow Warrior and Grey Wizard

I'm VERY tempted to switch my Waywatcher with the Shadow Warrior (invisibility? Move after attack? AWESOME) and I'm uncertain if swapping the Ironbreaker with the new fire Wizard.
I can't imagine being without my Marauder and my Grey Wizard.

dream

It's worth noting, Cyan, that Warhammer Quest does support iCloud, so if you get access to an iPad down the line, you'd be able to resume from where you leave off on your iPhone.

PittaGAF

Are the iap that bad in warhammer?

Absolutely not.
They are more DLC if you like...
There is a new campaign, long as the main one and 3 additional miniatures (each one with their rules/equipements).
Soon there will be another campaign plus other 3 miniatures.

Being the level cap moved to level 8, I bet another expansion to level 10 and other 3 characters are planned for around Christmas.

This will surely make Warhammer Quest the most expensive game in the AppStore.
And I will happily pay.

I hope they will make tons of expansions to cover all the boardgame ones....there is sooooo much to see yet!!!!!!

igor

Via Game Center, any friend you have or a random person. It's just 2 players online. You can host and join, it's the hosts world you'll play in, it's downloaded to the other player.
4 players via local wifi.
Has text chat.
Worlds available (aka tile sets/planets) depend on the hosts progress in Adventure mode (campaign type thing).

Sounds good, I tried out terraria on mac a bit and I saw a potential for something that I might really like, hopefully JJX is similarly deep (customisation and collectibles, if i that's what it really is i am in for a treat). My sister is obsessed with Minecraft so maybe two of us will have bit of fun together.

Are the iap that bad in warhammer?
Personally, I found the IAP slightly offensive. 5 euro I paid for bare bones campaign with 3 different enemy models, probably 5-4 different corridor tiles and stock team characters. Honestly, you play one, two levels, you played them all. Then what, another fiver for another campaign with swapped models and swapped corridor art? I passed.

Some people won't agree (vocally ; ) with my claim, they seemed to have lots of fun with WHQ - for me it was too simplistic and definitely thin on the content for such price.

PFD

This is a side question for the thread, but what has been your most disappointing IOS game in the past year or so?

Real Racing 3

868-Hack, a new roguelike by Michael Brough (Zaga-33, Corrypt, Glitch Tank) came out this week. I bought it but haven't played it yet but if it's anything like his other games I'm going to be addicted. Just giving a heads-up to anyone else into his previous games.

Oh, it's priced so high right now because awhile back he got criticism by other indie developers about how his games are really good and that if he put more work into the visuals he could charge more and in return make more money on them.

If interested, you can read more about it here: http://ellaguro.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-talk-of-magicians.html

It's a long article but very interesting. Make sure to check out the comments because Michael himself posts in there as well as Zach Gage, another developer (Spell Tower, Bit Pilot) who was one of the people telling him how if he changed some things he could make more money. It's all a good read.

Oh, and a link to the new game: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id635749911?mt=8

*looks at screenshots*

Looks like he only listened to the second half of that advice, lol

Shearie

Terraria is digital crack. I could lose a whole damn day to it. I'm going to try and not think about it today so I can go out and be social.

Terraria is digital crack. I could lose a whole damn day to it. I'm going to try and not think about it today so I can go out and be social.
At first I was slightly regretting my decision to buy. Then I fought some zombies underwater, found a Keen Spear in a chest, fought off a pack of Little Eaters, and made it back to my house before nightfall. Now I don't regret it one bit.
---
Can we craft windows or transparent walls?

Clunker

Man, Kid Tripp is the real deal. What an amazing platformer - channels a lot of Super Meat Boy vibes. The pixel-perfect controls make it - possibly even better controls than Rayman Jungle Run. And I love Rayman. Anyone who likes challenging platformers needs it at 99 cents.

Shearie

At first I was slightly regretting my decision to buy. Then I fought some zombies underwater, found a Keen Spear in cave, fought off a pack of Little Eaters, and made it back to my house before nightfall. Now I don't regret it one bit
---
Can we craft windows or transparent walls?

I think you can but I'm not sure. There is glass in the game and I was thinking about making some windows for my house to let in natural light but I haven't actually tried it yet since I've been so busy upgrading my tools to gold versions. I actually recommend you do that to. Try to get a gold pickaxe and hammer as soon as possible.

Edit - just Googled it and you can make glass walls for windows.

RustyO

Warhammer Quest: Got at launch; $5; kept crashing, buggy; corridors/areas not working (i.e. opening up); etc. Update comes out; go yeah, first battle; shit hangs on loading screen. Haven't gone back since.

Runner up:
Ace Patrol: Got extremely old, extremely quick; seemed like there was only a pool of maybe 6 missions to do.

*looks at screenshots*

Looks like he only listened to the second half of that advice, lol

Haha, yeah. I think it's just an experiment to see how many people would actually purchase his games at a higher-than-normal price. I'm sure he'll lower it at some point to a more common price. I bought it, anyway, and I hope it works out for him.

Chris R

Personally, I found the IAP slightly offensive. 5 euro I paid for bare bones campaign with 3 different enemy models, probably 5-4 different corridor tiles and stock team characters. Honestly, you play one, two levels, you played them all. Then what, another fiver for another campaign with swapped models and swapped corridor art? I passed.

Some people won't agree (vocally ; ) with my claim, they seemed to have lots of fun with WHQ - for me it was too simplistic and definitely thin on the content for such price.

I'll grab it when it goes on sale then, was sounding kinda bad from the reviews I read online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom