• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2013: The Curious Case of no Subtitle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it essentially turns the game from f2p to premium.
Yup, I really wish more F2P games did that. I can't that of any other freemium game with that pricing model

So really, the free version is kind of a really big lite version and the complete game is $3.99. I'd recommend it

Also I love the loading screens. When I was testing, that was one of my first pieces of feedback: loading screens are atmospheric and set a tone for the game. Dev has a few as HD wallapers here if anyone's interested

PFD

I noticed search doesn't work at the moment, but I think that happens sometimes when new apps come out.
Strange that link doesn't work though. If you search "gleamer ios" on google the iTunes link should come up. Try that one.

Better yet, search for it in AppShopper and follow the store link from there. Always worked for me on new apps.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'd also recommend Gleamer (beta tested that one too), especially if you like challenging games.

In Gleamer, your cube is always moving, your only control is to jump. To change direction, you have to bounce off walls, and the more you bounce off walls, the faster you go. Think of it less as a straight platformer, more as a puzzle game, You're not collecting power ups or activating switches. It's all about timing when and where to jump, planning which is the best order to grab the pick ups and best path to take to control your speed and beat the level as fast as possible while avoiding the dangerous red platforms. I say puzzle like, because going too fast or waiting too long to build up speed will throw your entire attempt, so it becomes like a puzzle to plan out the fastest way to complete the level

And it's just strangely satisfying to see your cube flickering across the screen at insane speeds

That actually sounds pretty neat! Need to try this game, will look for a Lite/Free sku hopefully, haven't got any credit left on my US account unfortunately

edit: ugh, not on the Italian AppStore?!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Oh, and the dev is a veteran GAFfer. That's always a plus

Cool!
Strange thing is that the game doesn't come up on search. I was able to get to the game through the link posted above but it's a paid app and I have 0 credit in my wallet at the moment. Wanted to at least check it out before I have the chance to buy it, from your description it sounds right up my allie :(

PFD

Hi guys, looking for recommendations on online multiplayer games I can play with my girlfriend. Not particularly into FPS or racing on iOS but most other things considered. We have worms 2 and Air Wings® already, some sort of easy to get into strategy game would be nice but all things considered as long as the controls are good.

Are you looking for async or real-time multiplayer?

If you don't mind virtual controls, I recommend Heroes & Castles (has coop and pvp) and Block Fortress (coop.)

For async games you might enjoy board games like Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and Summoner Wars.

Saw this game on IGN, looks promising

Trailer

Out in NZ right now: https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/runbot/id612857902?mt=8

It's free to play, but in the IGN comments, the dev said the game has no paywall. But we'll see
Running.png

Screenshots_5_1024x768_ENG.png

Here's the info from the game site:
RUNBOT HAS ESCAPED!
The year: 2371

Developed by a greedy corporation as an unstoppable killing machine, RunBot quickly evolved and became self-aware, rebelling against their heartless plans. Now, RunBot has made a mad dash for freedom – he won’t let tall buildings, drone attacks, or laser towers stop him.

RunBot needs you to escape in this stunning FREE TO PLAY endless running game!

FUTURISTIC ENDLESS RUNNING GAME!
✔ FREE TO PLAY
✔ Awesome freerunning moves – fly, flip, dive, and dodge around obstacles, mines, and laser towers.
✔ Stunning graphics – race RunBot through a futuristic city in time to a thumping fast-paced soundtrack.
✔ Tilt ‘n Touch game play – swipe the screen to guide RunBot while he runs, then tilt your device to move in flying Jetpack mode!
✔ Upgrade your Tech – collect battery cells and power cores to upgrade RunBot’s arsenal and armor!

peetfeet

Are you looking for async or real-time multiplayer?

If you don't mind virtual controls, I recommend Heroes & Castles (has coop and pvp) and Block Fortress (coop.)

For async games you might enjoy board games like Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and Summoner Wars.

Real time preferably, thanks a lot, will take a look!

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Cool!
Strange thing is that the game doesn't come up on search. I was able to get to the game through the link posted above but it's a paid app and I have 0 credit in my wallet at the moment. Wanted to at least check it out before I have the chance to buy it, from your description it sounds right up my allie :(

Somebody get this man a dollar!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Playstation All-Stars Island: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/playstation-all-stars-island/id651465014?mt=8

May not yet be available in your region.

Wario64 redeemed!

Also:

Best Tower Offense Game gets a full on sequel - Anomaly 2: Coming to iOS this fall

AND:

OP additions

•Made by a GAFer!
•50 challenging levels
•One-touch control system
•Intricate puzzles

•Permadeath
•Procedurally generated map - every game is unique
•Destructible environments - Break down walls, blow up cars, set the world on fire
•Scavenge loot from real life players who've died around the world
•Glitch the dog will help defend you, fetch things for you and keep you company

•27 single-player missions, a 'horde' mode, and asynchronous online friendly or ranked matches!
•All your old favourite weapons plus six new ones on iOS, including a couple of returning classics such as the Old Lady and the Homing Pigeon!
•Choose your worms from a new ‘Class’ system - Heavy, Scientist, Scout and classic Soldier in addition to a huge amount of customizable elements.
•Turn on the card mode and alter the start and end of each turn by the playing of strategic cards. Build your deck from 41 fiendishly designed cards!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ok one moar!

•Enjoy the tension of fighting with intuitive slingshot fighting controls!
•11 playable characters: Taekwondo, Boxing, Zui Quan (Drunken Fist), Shaolin Kung Fu, Jeet Kune Do, Mantis boxing, etc.
•Online multiplayer via game center
•Manage your own gym, Train your team in the "CAMPAIGN" menu
•Thrilling psychological warfare

PFD

Real Racing is just a commercial for cars.

I despise RR3's freemium shift, but I don't follow your logic here. Does the game show banners for car dealers around you or offer you 0% financing on certain cars while you're playing? How exactly is it a commercial?

numble

I despise RR3's freemium shift, but I don't follow your logic here. Does the game show banners for car dealers around you or offer you 0% financing on certain cars while you're playing? How exactly is it a commercial?
It advertises certain cars as desirable, and gives you in-game currency for watching ads.
The Playstation All-Star Island game doesn't show banners for places to buy Coke Zero.

Anyone here play Heavy Sword? I'd hesitated purchasing then forgot about it, now I see there's a lite version and it seems quite fun. How is the full game?

And about Slayin: is the game endless or not? Because in the TA thread, I saw mentions of end credits and such.

Wilsongt

So I've been playing a lot of Puzzle Craft lately. It was a Genius recommendation. It's pretty basic and all, but it's a fun little 10 - 15 minute game. It a city builder, but to get supplies you have to match titles, whether the tiles are chickens, wheat, pigs, etc.

I've enjoyed it. Dunno if it is a free or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there. :)

So I've been playing a lot of Puzzle Craft lately. It was a Genius recommendation. It's pretty basic and all, but it's a fun little 10 - 15 minute game. It a city builder, but to get supplies you have to match titles, whether the tiles are chickens, wheat, pigs, etc.

I've enjoyed it. Dunno if it is a free or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there. :)
Is Genius worth having on? I haven't really used it

igor

It's a separate app with option to unlock full version.

Shit okay sorry, thought its your regular version :/

Also is Worms 3 better? Does it have more content? I was really really annoyed with Armageddon since the main draw for me - Armageddon old levels were missing from the iOS release (weirdly the mac app store version which is almost the same had them no problem)... the random generated themes, Ive never been too fond of them.

Guys no need to get pissy that the PS Superstar battle thingy didn't get in, seriously if Tunesmith were to include every single fremium game here the topic would be just too messy and lose the purpose of promoting more valuable titles. It's basically an ad game, I thought this topic promotes different kind of releases. Maybe some mentioned games could get just a small section with link each under the whole thing to keep everyone happy?
BTW It's really funny that the dedicated topic for this title generated more pages since yesterday than what we contributed here in a week. Oh the hate.

muddream

Banned
I'm a bit pissed about the difficulty curve in Kingdom Rush, the game actually gets much easier the further you get. At least on hard some of the first couple missions rely on maximizing every reinforcement spawn and meteor shower placement...and then getting lucky with splash dmg. It's sooo good, tho...are there any non-iOS TD games with this level of charm, depth & polish?

SteveWD40

Also is Worms 3 better? Does it have more content? I was really really annoyed with Armageddon since the main draw for me - Armageddon old levels were missing from the iOS release (weirdly the mac app store version which is almost the same had them no problem)... the random generated themes, Ive never been too fond of them.

It's better in that it controls better, has more features and runs smoother. As far as content, nope, it has 4 themes, all news I think (farm, beach, sewer and graveyard) and limited speech banks.

I miss the London theme, used to love the music / ambience.

Roi

Playstation Allstar Island is a horrible game, but to my surprise I'm 15th on the high-score ranking so I can't delete it, aiming for a top 10 place now... firstworldproblems

Soooo, me and the wife have become addicted to playing trivia games together on my ipad.
So far we've been playing Catchphrase (classic!), The Chase & You Don't Know Jack (not keen on the IAP on this one).

Any recommendations for others? I bet there's a version of Trivial Pursuit or something? (Don't have my ipad on me to check). There's a lot of janky looking ones on the app store so if anyone has any solid suggestions it'd be of a big help.
Cheers

SteveWD40

nkvLgXk.jpg

Hells Yes. I love this game, it needed more loot though (I seem to be going after the same handfull of blues every time).

fijim

Banned
I'm a bit pissed about the difficulty curve in Kingdom Rush, the game actually gets much easier the further you get. At least on hard some of the first couple missions rely on maximizing every reinforcement spawn and meteor shower placement...and then getting lucky with splash dmg. It's sooo good, tho...are there any non-iOS TD games with this level of charm, depth & polish?

It gets more difficult again near the end. As you unlock better towers it does get easier, but then you need to take advantage of all of that in more difficult levels near the end.

Where it really gets challenging is trying to get the bonus stars on each level, because it forces you to play with limited upgrades and no hero.

ToxicAdam

Soooo, me and the wife have become addicted to playing trivia games together on my ipad.
So far we've been playing Catchphrase (classic!), The Chase & You Don't Know Jack (not keen on the IAP on this one).

Any recommendations for others? I bet there's a version of Trivial Pursuit or something? (Don't have my ipad on me to check). There's a lot of janky looking ones on the app store so if anyone has any solid suggestions it'd be of a big help.
Cheers

Give Wits and Wagers Trivia Party a shot.

Some of the questions are US-centric (usually ones about professional sports), but it has a nice selection of various trivia.

It's free.

PittaGAF

nkvLgXk.jpg

Hells Yes. I love this game, it needed more loot though (I seem to be going after the same handfull of blues every time).

HELL YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Incidentally, I went to check twitter (and saw the news) JUST RIGHT AFTER I lost a level 5 party in hardcore and I just found the Sigmar Hammer :((((((((((((

I LOVE this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom