• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2013: The Curious Case of no Subtitle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
The company I work for recently released our latest mobile title: Freak Tower.

Freak-Tower1-640x426.jpg

I'd love to hear GAFs impressions on it. We received a handful of reviews from critics that have enjoyed it thus far.

PFD

It doesn't surprise anyone probably, but Infinity Blade 3 is a reality according to some rumors and some LinkedIn posts.
Possibly late 2013.
Possibly earlier, maybe on stage a iPhone 5S/iPad 5 announcement?

Eh, two games was enough for that series. They need to do something new.

I have really been enjoying Kung Fu Quest! It's a 2D brawler in the style of the Irem classic Kung Fu Master. You can customize your combo with strikes purchased from the shop. It's very robust. You can add in quick punches, launchers, knock-away attacks, etc. And it all runs in 60 fps!

It's $0.99 (1.99 iPad) to unlock the full game. First set of levels are free to try before you commit.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kungfu-quest-the-jade-tower/id656436191?mt=8

Dreaver

I've always seen the Kingdom Rush games recommended for tower defense games.
I've bought Kingdom Rush, thanks for the recommendation!

TD? Sentinel series, Fieldrunners 2
If you like platformers, I'd recommend Penumbear

For other games recommendations, I give you the IOS Hidden Gems thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641531

That thread was weak. Wasn't #1 game dev story or something?

For better suggestions, go back to every month's OT and read the first page. You can find links to them in the first page of this thread.

Thank you for the suggestions.

RustyO

IGN's August Free Game of the Month is live. Giving away Kingdom Rush for iPhone and iPad in 40+ countries:

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/kingdomrush-iphone
http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/kingdomrush-ipad

Sorry, still no brazil though, I believe. The legal wrangling involved in rolling these promos out to new territories is pretty intense, I've heard from some folks.

Really? Awesome.

If anyone hasn't already got Kingdom Rush, you should be on this like a fat kid on a smartie.

I pick the games, or have a "wishlist" of games I'd love to nab, then it's about lining up what is doable.

It's more complicated than it looks. We don't like to give away games that have been free before. We like to give away games that are good AND tied to big brands... we prefer Universal games, etc.

Not as many games fit all that criteria as you would think. KR isn't Universal, for example.

I've noticed this.

Thanks for pushing for monthly free games. I've played 90% of the ones your team has offered in the past but your curatorial efforts are very much appreciated. If the business plan allows, please keep it up and know that it is appreciated.

Li Kao

So yeah The Drowning.
Drowning in shit, indeed.

I don't know why but when I first heard about the project last year I believed all the talk about 'you will see, we have nailed a new great control method for fps'. So firstly, no, absolutely nothing to write home about. A little convoluted even, don't hold a candle to Dead Trigger. And evidently as you see we are so proud of our idea, you can have a traditionnal input method... But we made zero effort on it, sucker.
So that's that.

The game is indeed pretty good looking, really, but it's Dead Trigger all over again : be it because of budget or hardware capacity you seemingly play a lot in the same zones. Maybe less than DT, don't know, will surely not endure any longer.

So it's, fuck there is no two ways to say it, this is Dead Trigger all over again but with a oh so nice dose of mobage and timers on top of it, so many thanks. A lot of unlockable weapons, seems long to do so (there are ennemy which can be killed only by certain weapons, but fear not, they can be bought immediately with real money...), an iap proposal at every opportunity, recycled zones, meh controls...
So yeah, every few missions you got a hand draw cinematic, and the writting is not good but bearable. Joy.

Quite a fabulous and new experience on iOS.

PFD

So yeah The Drowning.
Drowning in shit, indeed.

I don't know why but when I first heard about the project last year I believed all the talk about 'you will see, we have nailed a new great control method for fps'. So firstly, no, absolutely nothing to write home about. A little convoluted even, don't hold a candle to Dead Trigger. And evidently as you see we are so proud of our idea, you can have a traditionnal input method... But we made zero effort on it, sucker.
So that's that.

The game is indeed pretty good looking, really, but it's Dead Trigger all over again : be it because of budget or hardware capacity you seemingly play a lot in the same zones. Maybe less than DT, don't know, will surely not endure any longer.

So it's, fuck there is no two ways to say it, this is Dead Trigger all over again but with a oh so nice dose of mobage and timers on top of it, so many thanks. A lot of unlockable weapons, seems long to do so (there are ennemy which can be killed only by certain weapons, but fear not, they can be bought immediately with real money...), an iap proposal at every opportunity, recycled zones, meh controls...
So yeah, every few missions you got a hand draw cinematic, and the writting is not good but bearable. Joy.

Quite a fabulous and new experience on iOS.

Par for the course considering it's Mobage. Thanks for the impressions though, I'll be sure never to go near it.

I think it's unfortunate the way Dead Trigger ended up with those micro levels and mindless 'objectives'. The base game was awesome, and it had potential for greatness. Here's hoping DT2 isn't just more of the same.

According to pocket tactics, Summoner Wars will get an expansion adding two new factions on Monday, and it will no longer be free. You best download it now if it interests you.

Okay...Knightmare Tower...

I played the flash version. Quite enjoyable

Now I'm between a rock and a hard place. Only have limited $$ for IOS. Can't decide whether to save or get this game

2.99 seems a bit steep for this kind of game, but when it's getting impressions like this on Toucharcade...
This game is fantastic. It's an arcade game, an action game, a high-score chase, a runner, a catapulter, an RPG, a pick-up-and-play, a time-eater, a premium and the best thing in terms of a high score chasing, combat-fun arcade romp since Slayin.
...it's a tough decision

IGN's August Free Game of the Month is live. Giving away Kingdom Rush for iPhone and iPad in 40+ countries:

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/kingdomrush-iphone
http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/kingdomrush-ipad

Sorry, still no brazil though, I believe. The legal wrangling involved in rolling these promos out to new territories is pretty intense, I've heard from some folks.

Thanks. I got this on iPhone and hadn't even got around to playing it when I upgraded to an iPad and I was pretty pissed that I didn't have it any more and wasn't about to pay for it!

The company I work for recently released our latest mobile title: Freak Tower.

I'd love to hear GAFs impressions on it. We received a handful of reviews from critics that have enjoyed it thus far.

I could kind of like this. I'm a big fan of Tiny Tower and still haven't really found anything to replace it now it's done.

There is one pretty massive issue preventing me from investing any real time into it, though, and that is just how horrendously ugly it is. It's not so much the style, but the actual art and the quality itself. On my iPad mini it looks as though everything has been drawn too small, then enlarged, then saved as a .jpg in as small a file size as possible for the maximum compression shittiness. There is nothing that looks clean. Then there's loads of buttons and there's no uniformity between them, some of them look off centre, they're different shapes, it's just a complete mess and the whole thing looks confused.

igor

I decided to get Drop Chord after all, and damn, this is a really really nice game, definitely deserves its place in OP. One problem might be the fact you need to keep fingers on the screen at all times which is bit tiring, especially if your screen protector is rubbery like my Zagg one (reduces a lot of traction) but other than that, this is the game in veins of Super Hexagon which I really really dig. (not that Im good at those)

It has nice electronic music and graphics that reminds me of these old tech demos on various platforms. It may seem like its screwing with your eyes, there's so much going on, but the gameplay area is visible, I didn't have any problems anyway.
The gameplay is challenging but it has a really nice flow to it just like in Super Hexagon. There's lot of distractions and variety to gameplay and I havent played that much really. There are simple dots, there are charged ones, there are ones to avoid and there are special swipe areas that you need to cover (though I havent "got" that feature fully yet). Every now and then there's bonus stage and a special Ouendan style stage which requires you to tap targets with one finger or two (though 2 fingers cause difficulties and need to be tweaked).
That's all in first 5 minutes of the game or so - it's very hectic and challenging and really fun. If you needed a challenge for your reflexes this is the game.

chris121580

I have really been enjoying Kung Fu Quest! It's a 2D brawler in the style of the Irem classic Kung Fu Master. You can customize your combo with strikes purchased from the shop. It's very robust. You can add in quick punches, launchers, knock-away attacks, etc. And it all runs in 60 fps!

It's $0.99 (1.99 iPad) to unlock the full game. First set of levels are free to try before you commit.

Game is fantastic and I'm so glad someone finally went back to allowing us to try the game for free to see if we like it and then purchase the entire game if we do

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Game is fantastic and I'm so glad someone finally went back to allowing us to try the game for free to see if we like it and then purchase the entire game if we do

I found the game very unresponsive when pressing the buttons myself, borderline unplayable.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Starting to hear lots of kinda crazy rumors about iPhone / iPad gaming. Trying now to track down more corroborating sources so I can actually report on it. But if true, this fall is gonna change gaming on iOS in some very big ways.

Can't say more. Like before when I talked about the big ports (Limbo, KOTOR) I'm not trying to be a tease. Just wanna let you guys know that some pretty big changes are coming.

Starting to hear lots of kinda crazy rumors about iPhone / iPad gaming. Trying now to track down more corroborating sources so I can actually report on it. But if true, this fall is gonna change gaming on iOS in some very big ways.

Can't say more. Like before when I talked about the big ports (Limbo, KOTOR) I'm not trying to be a tease. Just wanna let you guys know that some pretty big changes are coming.
Big changes in a good way or in a "they ruined IOS gaming forever" way?

Anything more than widespread support for Apple's gamepad?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Big changes in a good way or in a "they ruined IOS gaming forever" way?

We'll see. It's good news, but it has potential to be messed up pretty badly depending on the execution.

Probably going to bounce from this thread at this point because I don't want to have the world's most cryptic AMA where I can't actually answer anything.

Heel

Streamed cloud gaming service paired with the controller API to bring console games day-and-date to the App Store. Believe.

okno

Okay...Knightmare Tower...

I played the flash version. Quite enjoyable

Now I'm between a rock and a hard place. Only have limited $$ for IOS. Can't decide whether to save or get this game

2.99 seems a bit steep for this kind of game, but when it's getting impressions like this on Toucharcade...

...it's a tough decision

I never played the flash game and LOVE it. It's everything I loved about Burrito Bison (chaining hits, smashing things and going really fast) without the rest of the stuff that slowed you down and made the game ultimately frustrating. The game has a lot of added conteNt, tons of missions, and controls PERFECTLY. The tilt controls require a very subtle tilt, so it's perfect for playing at home or on your commute! I recommend it, definitely.

Edit: if anyone wasnt aware, it does NOT support iCloud. That's a bit of a deal breaker.

Lurker here that finally needs advice on what iOS games to get, but with fairly specific requirements. TIA for anyone who can help.

I want a game that must be:
1. Goal oriented. This is key. No games where you "chill out" or are about beating high scores. I need legit goals. Beat the boss at the end of this level, kill the enemy base, stuff like that.
2. No fiddly gameplay. What I mean by this is no games that require precision drawing like Where's My Water? Something grid based like Plants vs Zombies is perfect.
3. No games with console or PC counterparts. I have a PC and a PS3, so I'm not looking for Deus Ex The Fall or XCom.
4. Can be played in small chunks. Perferably level based. I want to be able to turn it off and come back without worrying about remembering where I left off.
5. Does not have much of a story. So no story based games or visual novels like Layton Brothers. I listen to a lot of podcasts and just want to game, not read.

So far I own and have played:

Plants vs zombies
Theatrhythm
The room
Year Walk
Ghost trick
Puzzle agent 1 & 2
10 million
waking mars
kairo
unmechanical
tiny thief
quell, reflect, memento

I know some of these games don't fit the above criteria, but I played them when I had a little more time. The Quell games are my favorites games from that list btw, if that helps. I am also looking forward to PvZ2 and know of the Kingdom Rush games but am not the hugest tower defense fan. Anyway thanks again for any help.

Lurker here that finally needs advice on what iOS games to get, but with fairly specific requirements. TIA for anyone who can help.

1. Goal oriented. This is key. No games where you "chill out" or are about beating high scores. I need legit goals. Beat the boss at the end of this level, kill the enemy base, stuff like that.
2. No fiddly gameplay. What I mean by this is no games that require precision drawing like Where's My Water? Something grid based like Plants vs Zombies is perfect.
3. No games with console or PC counterparts. I have a PC and a PS3, so I'm not looking for Deus Ex The Fall or XCom.
4. Can be played in small chunks. Perferably level based. I want to be able to turn it off and come back without worrying about remembering where I left off.
5. Does not have much of a story. So no story based games or visual novels like Layton Brothers. I listen to a lot of podcasts and just want to game, not read.

Plants vs zombies
Theatrhythm
The room
Year Walk
Ghost trick
Puzzle agent 1 & 2
10 million
waking mars
kairo
unmechanical
tiny thief
quell, reflect, memento

I know some of these games don't fit the above criteria, but I played them when I had a little more time. The Quell games are my favorites games from that list btw, if that helps. I am also looking forward to PvZ2 and know of the Kingdom Rush games but am not the hugest tower defense fan. Anyway thanks again for any help.
Do you like platformers? Penumbear. 100 levels, precision platforming (but not fast paces like SMB), cool light/shadows mechanic, not a port

Mage Gauntlet
Draw Rider Plus
Jet Car Stunts

PFD

Thinking of getting Rymdkapsel....should I go for vita or ipad(3) version?

All I can say it plays beautifully on the iPad, and it supports retina. Don't have a vita so can't comment there.

edit: also agreed with toddhunter vv

Thinking of getting Rymdkapsel....should I go for vita or ipad(3) version?

It is really good on the ipad and worth the purchase....but it still feels like it needs another big update to make it "right".

I don't know what the Vita version offers, but you'd be looking for better ai sequencing and extra missions. If it has that, I'd go that version if the ios one isn't updated in the meantime.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Plants vs zombies
Theatrhythm
The room
Year Walk
Ghost trick
Puzzle agent 1 & 2
10 million
waking mars
kairo
unmechanical
tiny thief
quell, reflect, memento

I usually really dislike tower defence but Kingdom Rush is brilliant.

First thing that popped into my head for you would be the Rodeo Games strategy titles like Hunters 1&2 and Warhammer Quest. iOS original, goal oriented, non fiddly strategy games in 10 minute chunks.

You might also want to try being less picky :p there are lots of great games out there if you open your mind a touch.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Decided to get back into Angry Birds (I stopped obsessing with three starring every stage before moving on to the next, so it's fun again) and I'm having a blast with Angry Birds Star Wars, I forgot I got it for free a while ago. I also checked the first game and it always blows my mind how much suport it still gets, there was a new feather ability for red and the pigs had Bad Piggies styled vehicles.

Bought Tiny Thief for $0.99 too because of the praise in this thread and being bombarded with the sale all the time on the retry screen of AB:SW (ads work. I was already considering it though!).

RoyalFool

Banned
Does anybody know if the iOS store has any decent card battle games?

I fooking loved Card Fighters Clash (and PSO Ep3) and the iPad seems like a natural fit for those sorts of games but i can't seem to find anything that ticks my boxes (japanese style, deep, no shitty micro-payments)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Just finished Tiny Thief. Very fun, charming game. Past the tutorials and as you get into the game, it really comes into it's own. Some fantastic little puzzles and lovely art style make it a win. Well worth 69p. Glad I picked it up. The art style definitely helped me in deciding too.

Some tricky things to find though, but it's satisfying when you do and finish the levels without help. I actually was only stumped twice to complete the game which is very good for me in these type of games as I don't normally have the patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom