• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Is Goat Simulator missing anything from the PC version? Just bought it on iOS and curious if I should double dip.

awp69

......... How long ago was this??

I thought it seemed like a good deal since the iPod 5's are frickin ancient internally

Edit: Just checked out eBay. Ugh. Oh well. Initially I was avoiding eBay because I just wanted it sold quick and didn't want to pay the listing fees

When I went to sell mine I was pretty shocked at how much they were selling for. But I think the fact that it still is the latest iPod Touch model, there's a lot of people who probably don't even know the specs on it compared to other iDevices. What's funny is that the iPad Mini 2 isn't much more expensive and it's a huge difference in power.

inner-G

Banned
I figured I was good this year so I renewd my contract and got a 128gb 6 plus :D

I grabbed Banner Saga, Oceanhorn, Civ Rev 2 and 80 days from the sale, are there any must-play (J)RPGs besides the obvious Square-Enix ones?

JCho133

When I went to sell mine I was pretty shocked at how much they were seeing for. But I think the fact that it still is the latest iPod Touch model, there's a lot of people who probably don't even know the specs on it compared to other iDevices. What's funny is that the iPad Mini 2 isn't much more expensive and it's a huge difference in power.

And size, and battery length, and resolution....

O the common consumer :/

JCho133

Has anyone here played I am a brave knight?

It was strange... Yet bizarrely captivating. Played through it twice back to back. Was actually kind of touched my first time through

Dalek

My wife surprised the hell out of me and got me a 64gb iPad Air 2 for Christmas. What a gift! Downloading my ickoud backup onto it now.

PittaGAF

Has anyone here played I am a brave knight?

It was strange... Yet bizarrely captivating. Played through it twice back to back. Was actually kind of touched my first time through

I liked it too, played back in the days.
A (very) short and touching experience.

xcKdGnI.jpg

Dragoshi1

Fired up my shiny new iPad Mini 2 for the first time! Bought Battle Supremacy for it, since I love Tank games, and it runs so smooth.

I currently have these on it;

Battle Supremacy
Alphadia Genesis
Godzilla Smash3
Hearthstone
Pokemon TCG Online
Colossatron
Tentacles(that one with the dolphin and the eyeball creature)

awp69

My iPad Mini 2 is being shipped, should come tomorrow! Woohoo! The Mini 2 is compatible with Metal, right?

Yes, sir! And everyone that has it runs beautifully! Don't think you're a racing fan but to me Asphalt 8 shows it off the best, especially being able to play the 24-car exclusive Metal races.

Yes, sir! And everyone that has it runs beautifully! Don't think you're a racing fan but to me Asphalt 8 shows it off the best, especially being able to play the 24-car exclusive Metal races.
Best arcade racer on IOS, eager to check it out on the Mini
(Yes, I'm a racing fan :p)

Would be cool if we got an IOS port of Blaze Rush. The controls are simple enough to work on touch, and it's just a really fun arcade combat racer
http://youtu.be/TyHM4d5JpAA

No, Asphalt 6 still holds that crown.

Would like to get Distance on iOS
Distance would be tough. I think the controls are too complicated to translate well to touch

What are good games to play in local multiplayer?

The following games are currently free, especially Oquonie is beautiful.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id891693763?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id819777958?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id630992348?mt=8
Check out Trigger. It's a fun same screen MP game
https://appsto.re/us/AQJx0.i

Also read good things about Astro Duel. This one's iPad only
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/astro-duel/id548898306?mt=8

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
IF you plan to only use it for a few games, you may be okay with a 16 GB (although some of those games you mentioned can be pretty big). Unfortunately, a 16 GB model probably only has like 12-13 GB of actual space. It that's still enough for a bunch of small games or 5-8 bigger games (some Square Enix games can be close to 2 GB or more).

But if you want to be safe go for a 32 GB. And if you have the money, a 64 GB.

I've been pretty happy with 32 gigs. But I also have had only 8/16 GB phones prior to it. I also have a Shield Tablet so I have more than enough mobile games between them.

I only mentioned the 16 GB model because that's usually the one I've seen some deals on. But the bigger the better unless gaming is secondary.

Not only that, but with IOS8+ you get short of 12GB of space (28GB on the 32GB Mini model I own and 55.7 for the 64GB Mini 2 model I also own... That's more than 8GB for the OS and stuff) but if you want to grab games directly to the iPad, you're going to need double the space of the app just to install/update... I remember for KOTOR I had 3GB of free space and it still wouldn't download, I needed more... and it looks like he's into pretty big games too.

What would you recommend then? I'm just looking to download and play a few games (SMT, Ghost Trick, some Square-Enix stuff).

32GB model sounds perfect for your needs (and then some) and you won't be screwed if you ever want to sell the thing down the road.

My tentative iPad-exclusive buy list:
- FTL
- Papers Please
- Space Hulk
- Crabitron
- Crystal Siege HD

Any other notable iPad-only games? Save for the ports, I tend to ignore iPad-only games

Dash Kappei

- FTL
- Papers Please
- Space Hulk
- Crabitron
- Crystal Siege HD

Any other notable iPad-only games? Save for the ports, I tend to ignore iPad-only games

Dunno if these are still iPad-only but:

Ghost Trick
Spacechem
Rhythm Thief
X-Com
TellTales' games
Crabitron
Limbo
The Room
World of Goo
Republique
Hearthstone
Small World 2
Kingdom Rush series in "HD"
CIVRevo
First Strike 1.1
Splice
Baldur's Gate and KOTOR might as well be iPad-only, can't imagine playing them on iPhone (never tried a 6+ tho!)

Dunno if these are still iPad-only but:

Ghost Trick
Rhythm Thief
X-Com
TellTales' games
Limbo
The Room
World of Goo
Republique
Hearthstone
Kingdom Rush series in "HD"
CIVRevo
First Strike 1.1
Baldur's Gate and KOTOR might as well be iPad-only, can't imagine playing them on iPhone (never tried a 6+ tho!)
I think most of those are Universal, played most of them on iPhone. KOTOR actually plays pretty well, but Baldur's Gate needs an iPad. Playing on a phone is practically impossible

Dash Kappei

I think most of those are Universal, played most of them on iPhone. KOTOR actually plays pretty well, but Baldur's Gate needs an iPad. Playing on a phone is practically impossible

They are? Wow, how do you even play something like Splice on iPhone?! Or Crabitron?!
But really, now I'm super curious to see Splice The Tree of Life puzzles fit on iPhone! Wish I had one.
Or TellTales games without going blind... dunno, even Rhythm Thief I can only see it working on a 6+ at the very least
X-com, The Room, civ revolution or World of Goo must be sooo inferior when played on iPhone 5 and similar

I mean, these days you can make almost anything Universal really, but there's still plenty of apps I'd consider as iPad-only.
Like 99% of the (great!) bemani games on iOS.

They are? Wow, how do you even play something like Splice on iPhone?! Or Crabitron?!
But really, now I'm super curious to see Splice The Tree of Life puzzles fit on iPhone! Wish I had one.
Or TellTales games without going blind... dunno, even Rhythm Thief I can only see it working on a 6+ at the very least
X-com, The Room, civ revolution or World of Goo must be sooo inferior when played on iPhone 5 and similar
Splice and Crabitron are iPad only, but stuff like XCOM, The Rooom, World of Goo, Telltale games, etc. are also on iPhone

awp69

- FTL
- Papers Please
- Space Hulk
- Crabitron
- Crystal Siege HD

Mutant Storm (techinically a port but different than its console iterations) is a good dual stick shooter that's iPad only.

And while it can be played on a 5S and up, VainGlory is much better on an iPad, considering it was originally supposed to be iPad-only and changed at the very end of development. Fates Forever is also a good MOBA.

Oh, and of course, Hearthstone.

Probably a first for me to recommend three free to play games as some of my favorites. But all three are great examples of freemium done right.

FerranMG

I've been addicted to Tap Titans for a week already.
Very nice incremental game, check it out of you've ever been hooked into a game of this genre.

JCho133

Mutant Storm (techinically a port but different than its console iterations) is a good dual stick shooter that's iPad only.

And while it can be played on a 5S and up, VainGlory is much better on an iPad, considering it was originally supposed to be iPad-only and changed at the very end of development. Fates Forever is also a good MOBA.

Oh, and of course, Hearthstone.

Probably a first for me to recommend three free to play games as some of my favorites. But all three are great examples of freemium done right.

My god yes. VainGlory is absolutely MAGICAL on iPad. Like a completely different game than on iphone almost

arimanius

Just started playing VainGlory this morning. Wow such a good game. Runs and controls well on my iPad mini with retina. I like moba games but hate the typical moba community so I'm still a noob to these types of game and this game is great so far.

Just started playing VainGlory this morning. Wow such a good game. Runs and controls well on my iPad mini with retina. I like moba games but hate the typical moba community so I'm still a noob to these types of game and this game is great so far.

This bolded 10000 times. I hadn't really played any mobas since I tried the W3 mod way back mostly because I had heard the "newbies stay away" stories but Vainglory has been fantastic. It even got me to finally try out Heroes of the Storm (I'm a Blizzard fanboy normally) but I keep going back to play more Vainglory. Its one of those easy to learn hard to master games. Not to mention its only been out a month or so. I can't wait to see what they do with it in future patches.

My only real complaint is there isn't enough mechanics built into the game to kick people who afk though as my karma level has gone up I seem to find less of those. Even worse though are those who want to surrender and when it doesn't pass they sit back at spawn and afk till its over. Its not over till the crystal goes pop. I've been in matches where we have killed the kraken back and forth 3 or 4 times. Just last night the enemy team had downed all of our turrets and still had 3 of their own but we zerged the lane and ended up killing them, downing the turrets and destroyed their crystal before they could respawn!

RustyO

I'm starting to think that my next music production related purchase will be an iPad... but I'm not sure which one to get. Anyone else use an iPad for music production duties?

Basically, I only want it for two things, playing games (obviously) and Music Production. I'm interested in some of the nifty looking software out there, I've already got things like NanoStudio, Alchemy, iMaschine, Animoog etc on my iPhone; but am interested in some of the iPad only apps like Korg Gadget, Nave, SunRizer etc., that and I don't really use the phone (4S) for musics stuff.

I'm kind of umming and awwing about whether to go for an Air (32gb or more) either new or secondhand, or Air 2 (max 64gb) I think 128gb is overkill for cost/need. Or even a v4.

Thing is, local second hand prices seem crazy, would expect a bit more depreciation, seen some sell / selling for more on ebay / gumtree then new? Or people wanting circa <$50 off retail for a 1 year old Air ? Or the same for a v4 ?

So:

- I'm in Australia.
- I'm thinking minimum 32gb for decent space for apps / audio clips. (My 4S is 32 gb, and is pretty full. Mind you, I also have 6gb of cat photos on it.); Would prefer 64gb
- I want enough vavavoom (and iOS compatibility) to run the awesome new apps, which might rule out the v4?
- It will be a pretty decent invesment / experiment, so I want it to last a good few years at least, without it being quickly superceded from a power/iOS viewpoint.
- Is there a significant upgrade on the Air vs Air 2 to justify the price difference?
- Will The Banner Saga be GLORIUS on the new machine?
- Want Midi / Audio connectivity for studio integration.

Also, stupid question time:

Stupid question #1: Can you buy an app in America and gift it to a user in Australia? As we get hit with a lovely 30% AusTax for our sins...

E.g. I'm interested in Korg Gadget, which is on sale till the 31st for US$30 (Normally US$40) versus AU$38 (Normally AU$50)

I'm looking at dropping a good AU$100 to AU$200 on premium apps if/when I get the iPad, so the markup due to AusTax and exchange rates will really add up quickly.

Stupid question #2: iPad <-> Midi. You just need to be any old cheap Lightening to Midi converter? Thats it?

Stupid question #3: Can you plug a USB key into the iPad via a convertor cable for more/external storage for audio files?

Planning on going down a Mac store in the next few days to hassle the store people.

tl;dr: Which iPad should I buy for music production?

Just get an air 2, the extra ram will help you run more apps via stuff like Audiobus and will save you from obsolescence a little longer. I remain convinced the iPad is a great tool for making music, despite not having made anything of note with my iPad. It sure is fun to make up sounds on though!

JCho133

Checked the Subset Games Twitter, FTL sale till the 2nd

2k games isn't giving an end date, so I'm gonna go ahead and snatch Enemy Within

Top Bottom