• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming June 2016 | Be still my growing backlog, summer is here

Woohoo, Bemuse is back in development!

Ch0dMhxU4AAcu3o.jpg:large

Picked up Eklips, which sadly already dropped to $.99 from $1.99. Very nice, relaxing Tetris like game where you try to create squares from pieces rotating around the four sides. Calming music. No timers. Good game to chill out to.

Thanks for the price drop info. Just bought this. Looks interesting.

Ambitious

Finished all three Hexcells games. Now I'm trying to complete them without making mistakes. It's hard, but sure feels incredibly satisfying if I manage to complete a puzzle.

Which is better: FTL or Out There? Also, what's the best Civ-style game on iOS? And the most important question: how crazy am I for picking up a new game when I've still got a ton of games to play?

Which is better: FTL or Out There? Also, what's the best Civ-style game on iOS? And the most important question: how crazy am I for picking up a new game when I've still got a ton of games to play?
Hard to compare, they both excel at their strengths. FTL is more complex, and focused on tactical ship to ship combat and real-time crew management. Out There is focused around resource management, no combat, and is more about the grueling journey through unknown otherworldly space

By Civ-style, do you mean like a city/empire builder or a 4x strategy?

killercow

For Civ-like I'd go with:
- Super Tribes (for a quick, casual take)
- Civilization Revolution (not the best but it's still Civ)

am_dragon

Sid Meiers' Starships

Other 4x games:
King of Dragon Pass
Starbase Orion
Planar Conquest
Autumn Dynasty Warlords

FTFY. Starbase Orion is my favorite of the 4X games on iOS. I would not be surprised if I have over 100 hours on that game. The Civ games are very good too.

awp69

Anyone tried LOUD on PlanetX?
It's on sale for 0.99€, but I'd like to know if it's worth the 750MB download.

I tried it. The rythmn game isn't so hot. It's basic and takes some getting used to. But for me it was well worth it for the kick ass soundtrack (Chvrches, Metric, etc). I play on easy and still enjoy it due to the music. Found some bands I never heard of and really like. Always cool to discover new bands (I'm a huge music -- mostly alternative -- fan)

RM8

Guys I think I prefer Lost Frontier over Warbits. It's just more fun, I think. Both are great, though, and easily two of my top mobile games ever.

Guys I think I prefer Lost Frontier over Warbits. It's just more fun, I think. Both are great, though, and easily two of my top mobile games ever.

I think I am with you on that. Warbits is a very fine game but it is always going to be a AW clone where Lost Frontiee goes its own way enough to make itself a different beast, plus the setting is cool, plus all the touch interface stuff is very nicely done. I'm really liking my time with it, although it can be pretty brutal if you take your mind off the mark.

awp69

Wow. PG really slammed SkyForce Reloaded with a 5/10.

I would say it's a little more grindy than the first and the levels seem more of an extension of that game rather than a "new game". But still would say an 8/10.

Still prefer Air Attack 2 over both of the newer SkyForce games. But it's still really good.

M.W.

This looks great! I'll check it out tonight. I originally dismissed it thinking it was like those flick kick or whatever games.

It's a solid football game. Obviously they can't use real names but they try the best they can.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wow. PG really slammed SkyForce Reloaded with a 5/10.

I would say it's a little more grindy than the first and the levels seem more of an extension of that game rather than a "new game". But still would say an 8/10.

Still prefer Air Attack 2 over both of the newer SkyForce games. But it's still really good.

I'll have to check out Air Attack 2.

Still, I'm loving Skyforce. I bought the premium unlocks (double stars, add-free), and don't really find it too grindy so far. That might change once I unlock the last level, though.

The bit of grind that's there keeps me coming back.

awp69

I'll have to check out Air Attack 2.

Still, I'm loving Skyforce. I bought the premium unlocks (double stars, add-free), and don't really find it too grindy so far. That might change once I unlock the last level, though.

The bit of grind that's there keeps me coming back.

Yeah, I don't mind the grind much either. I think the PG review was too harsh. I also bought the double star and ad-free IAPs.

I bought the plane generator too but was disappointed to find that it doesn't speed up upgrades. I don't get lengthy gameplay sessions were more than 10 lives are ever needed so having 20 is kind of a waste. But the waits for upgrades get annoyingly long. I know you can use stars to do it immediately, but it's still probably my only real beef with the game.

Like I said it maybe didn't blow me away as much as the first one did since the art style is almost the same, but it's still a great game and I don't mind paying for "more of the same" when it's this good.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone play Never Gone since the update? Dev said it was supposed to balance some of the major grind and make it more approachable. Wondering if it's worth my $1 yet.

How does Heroes of Loot actually play? The trailer didn't show any on screen buttons or dpad, but it looks like it has twinstick shooter type of gameplay.

Is it like Wayward Souls where you just swipe to move in that direction (WS did that maybe the best out of any game to have that I've tried)?

How does Heroes of Loot actually play? The trailer didn't show any on screen buttons or dpad, but it looks like it has twinstick shooter type of gameplay.

Is it like Wayward Souls where you just swipe to move in that direction (WS did that maybe the best out of any game to have that I've tried)?
Fixed/floating d-stick and then two buttons, one for switching characters and the other for attacking

Ketch

I wonder if it will have rpg elements. one of the most important parts of dues ex is deciding on build and mchoosing how you tackle the levels, the puzzle aspects of the go games lend themselves to stealth but that's only one of many ways to play dues ex. Could be really really cool if they are able to fit any of that kind of stuff in there.

killercow

I wonder if it will have rpg elements. one of the most important parts of dues ex is deciding on build and mchoosing how you tackle the levels, the puzzle aspects of the go games lend themselves to stealth but that's only one of many ways to play dues ex. Could be really really cool if they are able to fit any of that kind of stuff in there.

It will feature augmentations but I believe it will be fairly linear.

More Deus Ex GO details
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/08/e3-2016-deus-ex-go-is-a-hack-and-swipe-deus-ex-adventure
Jensen will lose head-on encounters; you must approach from behind or the sides in order to strike down your targets). Unless, that is, you use the invisibility power-up, which can be collected and pocketed until you’re ready to activate it. That will allow you to walk right up to a guy’s face and stab him in it, provided he’s within two moves of you, as that’s how long the power-up lasts.

Other times you’ll have to deal with a more fittingly Deus Ex-esque mechanical obstacle, such as a motion-sensing gun turret. These can be hacked at terminals so that they won’t fire. Simply trace a line with your finger from the terminal you’re standing at to the device you want hacked, be it the turret or the platform under the floor you want raised up so that you can create a path to the exit for yourself. By the sixth and final stage I got to play, all of these elements -- human enemies, gun turrets, hackable floor panels, and invisibility power-ups – were all on display, causing me to try and die several times before putting all of the puzzle pieces together.

Glad to see DXGO finally announced.

Anyone know if SE has plans to port FFVIII to iOS? I thought we'd get it like we got VII before IX tbh.

Top Bottom