• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming November 2014: GLORIOUS!™

pronk420

So Vainglory is quite good on the iPhone 6 Plus, looks amazing as well.

i think the ui of vainglory works much better than fates forever, in fates my hand kept obscuring the ability buttons (i'm left handed) making it hard to hit them in a hurry.

plus the weird unintuitive system for the abilities in fates makes it harder than it should be to do things in the heat of the moment. like some of them where you drag a line for it to follow make sense, but when you have to drag a cursor from your character onto an enemy to target them it just overcomplicates things for no reason. the way it denotes that is super unintuitive as well so it takes a lot of time to get used to what motion you need to make for which ability.

vainglory looks amazing and the map layout seems clever and does some new things compared to other mobas. my only concern is the character variety is part of why I enjoy LoL and all the tablet mobas have a fairly small number of characters

What a GLORIOUS night for sci-fi nuts with Enemy Within and Space Age.
Are you guys happy? I'm happy.

I even found out about this little gem called Space Expedition. Now, I haven't played the game yet, but how can you resist this adorable
sci-fi pixel art? I'm at work right now so I can't test it, anyone
willing to take one for the team? It's only $2.99.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/space-expedition-classic-adventure/id930424778?mt=8
You know I can't resist this, right?

You were meant to try this before everybody else. Do it. Buy it, play it and tell us what you think. :)
You know when you play a game and in the first 5 or 10 minutes, you can tell if it'll be good or not? Yeah, Space Expedition is one of those games. Going by the tutorial and part of Chapter 1 I've played so far, it's going to be a fun experience. Lovely pixel art, the details like particle effects and lighting and smoke in the background, the puzzle elements already laying the foundation for interesting challenges since you have an inventory and can pick up/carry objects, tight controls, Metroidvania-lite feel with multiple paths. Haven't faced any enemies yet, but the game already gives from some great vibes and feels polished

JCho133

What a GLORIOUS night for sci-fi nuts with Enemy Within and Space Age.
Are you guys happy? I'm happy.

I even found out about this little gem called Space Expedition. Now, I haven't played the game yet, but how can you resist this adorable
sci-fi pixel art? I'm at work right now so I can't test it, anyone
willing to take one for the team? It's only $2.99.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/space-expedition-classic-adventure/id930424778?mt=8

HOOOOOOOOOLY MOLY.

If no one else TOFTT, I'll do so in a heartbeat.

Edit: Just saw your post Bronxsta.

Metroidvania? I'll get it!

killercow

You know when you play a game and in the first 5 or 10 minutes, you can tell if it'll be good or not? Yeah, Space Expedition is one of those games. Going by the tutorial and part of Chapter 1 I've played so far, it's going to be a fun experience. Lovely pixel art, the details like particle effects and lighting and smoke in the background, the puzzle elements already laying the foundation for interesting challenges since you have an inventory and can pick up/carry objects, tight controls, Metroidvania-lite feel with multiple paths. Haven't faced any enemies yet, but the game already gives from some great vibes and feels polished

And bought! This turned out to be one of the most expensive week in a while :)

heringer

Awesome! But now I have to wait until I get home, ugh...

HOOOOOOOOOLY MOLY.

If no one else TOFTT, I'll do so in a heartbeat.

Edit: Just saw your post Bronxsta.

Metroidvania? I'll get it!
Not really a Metroidvania, because it's level based, but there are multiple paths and hidden areas to find, so there is a feeling of exploration.

Matt Frost

Ill echo what More_Badass said about Space Expedition. Looks like it will be epic. Solid tight controls and a great atmosphere. The makers of Dead Ahead know how to make good game. Great surprise! :D

you go girl

not related, but if I don't have any of you on PS4/Xbox One, would you kindly add me: Flunkie44

I want to know if iOS GAF plays other things too. I have a feeling I will be consumed by DA: Inquisition that I'll put down all mobile devices forever.

Invite sent!

kEFIY3r.jpg

lr3HXyM.jpg

pUpyNZy.jpg
Nice.

PittaGAF

Just completed Monument Valley: Forgotten shores.

Insert GLORIOUS(TM) as you wish.

Somehow, they managed to outdone themselves on every possible level...art, sound, mechanics, everything.
Last 4 levels are just....perfect.

Sublime experience, perfect length.
They manage to give you fresh levels despite the core mechanic remain the same.....never getting boring and surprising you at ever interaction.

PittaGAF

Sigh...came here to post Forgotten Shores impressions, checked the thread, now I have 3 more games to buy.

I love this thread :p

Trying to understand game length of Space Age, Framed and Space Expedition...I'll probably buy all 3 but I want to be sure to have the right amount of time to enjoy them properly.

Anyone?

Sigh...came here to post Forgotten Shores impressions, checked the thread, now I have 3 more games to buy.

I love this thread :p

Trying to understand game length of Space Age, Framed and Space Expedition...I'll probably buy all 3 but I want to be sure to have the right amount of time to enjoy them properly.

Anyone?
Framed is at least an hour plus. I'm currently on the first puzzle of the third "chapter". I don't know how many chapters the game is, but it doesn't feel like it's wrapping up soon.
But it's a clear case of quality over quantity

Space Expedition seems like it might be on the short side, but it's also great. Best part about it is that it feels like an organic journey, not just level after level. It's an adventure, a story, not just hazard after hazard; threats and dangers are foreshadowed and hinted at, there are interesting scenarios (traveling through a damaged flooded hydroelectric station), and the overall atmosphere and polish is excellent.

FerranMG

Yeah, I'm not feeling Golfinity either.
I've enjoyed NimbleBit games a lot in the past (Tiny Tower, Pocket Planes and Pocket Trains), but their last few games haven't been so good IMHO.

PittaGAF

Framed is at least an hour plus. I'm currently on the first puzzle of the third "chapter". I don't know how many chapters the game is, but it doesn't feel like it's wrapping up soon.
But it's a clear case of quality over quantity

Space Expedition seems like it might be on the short side, but it's also great. Best part about it is that it feels like an organic journey, not just level after level. It's an adventure, a story, not just hazard after hazard; threats and dangers are foreshadowed and hinted at, there are interesting scenarios (traveling through a damaged flooded hydroelectric station), and the overall atmosphere and polish is excellent.

Sold and sold.

And, probably contrary to most people, to me 'short' doesn't mean 'bad'...on the contrary.
I would ban by law games over 10 hours long too :p (story based ones, that is...but few exceptions).

Anyone knows Space Age approx gamelenght? I want to buy that for the singed trailer alone.

Heel

Well yeah, that was my comment ;)

Haha

I just picked up Golfinity (free), and it's horrible.

Yeah, I'm not feeling Golfinity either.
I've enjoyed NimbleBit games a lot in the past (Tiny Tower, Pocket Planes and Pocket Trains), but their last few games haven't been so good IMHO.

Agreed, not feeling it.

Super Stickman Golf 2 just got 20 courses in an update last night, too. That's where I'll be mini golfing.

Space Expedition is very short, less than an hour. Finished it in 45 minutes. Definitely an enjoyable experience though, but ends abruptly

Heel

ustwogames @ustwogames
Seems quite a few people have gone back and 1 star reviewed Monument Valley upon update because the expansion was paid. This makes us sad.

ustwogames @ustwogames
That's it, we're giving up the premium game. Next time we're just going to sell you 500 coins for $2 instead.

iDpyQVUOKBB2Q.gif

Hey IOSGaf quick question for you.

I bought a iCade for my Ipad 2 a long while ago and was using it to play a lot of games. I heard that ios 7 had killed support for the Bluetooth connection that the icade uses. So I never upgraded my OS on it and kept it as it was.

Just got a Ipad Air and I am curious if this was still the case. If so I will keep my 2 and use it soley for the icade. If not I might sell it and use that awesome retina goodness.

Any insight?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
ustwogames @ustwogames
Seems quite a few people have gone back and 1 star reviewed Monument Valley upon update because the expansion was paid. This makes us sad.

ustwogames @ustwogames
That's it, we're giving up the premium game. Next time we're just going to sell you 500 coins for $2 instead.

iDpyQVUOKBB2Q.gif

*sigh*

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
ustwogames @ustwogames

ustwogames @ustwogames

http://i.minus.com/iDpyQVUOKBB2Q.gif
Ridiculous. I haven't bought the expansion, but if they released a separate app with the same new 8 chapters content as a sequel people wouldn't bat an eye.

PittaGAF

Ridiculous. I haven't bought the expansion, but if they released a separate app with the same 8 chapters content as a sequel people wouldn't bat an eye.

It's even worth mentioning that the 'expansion' lasts more than the vanilla game too, for a fraction of the price.

PittaGAF

Speaking about Monument Valley in general....

I still do not have a clue about what happened, even after the extra levels.

I get they built these monuments, their pride...then the 'princess' stole something and everything was fucked up...she then right all things, re gain the crown and everyone is back colored and happy again...is there more?

I would love a prequel now.

Totem rules, anyway.

pdk27

ustwogames @ustwogames

ustwogames @ustwogames

Bought the expansion and gave the game 5 star review in response to the fools.

TheExodu5

Banned
Any recommendations for a TD that doesn't have heroes? Kingdom Rush is fun, but I don't really enjoy the micromanagement aspects of having to control a hero.

So question, if I don't have Enemy unknown, can I buy and play enemy within?

Also, good job iOS gamers! Moneument Valley's star rating used to be 4 stars last night but has surged to 5 stars this moring from what looks like a lot of people trying to counteract the 1 star ratings and even condemning them in their reviews. I like it!

Okay, so Framed is brilliant. Once you get panels that you can reorder and reuse multiple times (so the context and actions change multiple times on a single page) and combine that with rotating panels, and interesting scenarios like disguising yourself or avoiding police on a moving train, the ingenuity of the design and mechanics really shine

chris121580

I'm enjoying Space Age so far. The music is fantastic and the exploration is fun. I've gotten stuck a few times but was eventually able to figure out. I like that it doesn't really hold your hand much and I love the art style

killercow

So all in all, since I saw worries about the length on another forum, Framed will probably last you around 80-90 minutes.

The game auto restarts after the end right? I didn't see any credit scene and it seems to be making me play the same levels again. Or is that part of the story as well?

The game auto restarts after the end right? I didn't any credit scene and it seems to be doing the same levels again. Or is that part of the story as well?
I was confused about that as well. Played a few levels in and it seemed to be the same
Edit: Dev response
"If there were no credits it isn't finished yet.."

awp69

Tried Vain Glory just to see Metal in action.

Impressive.
Give me a RPG with that graphic, please.

Metal support was also just added to Battle Supremacy if you have it. At least to me, I think there's a lot more detail on the tanks and everything just seems more vibrant and alive.

Vainglory is definately impressive. Think the best use of Metal so far, though, is in Asphalt 8. Some great lighting and weather effects AND Metal exlusive events with a whopping 24 cars that still run smooth as butter.

Top Bottom