• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming November 2014: GLORIOUS!™

JCho133

Okay, I'm really ticked that they got rid of the vanilla XCOM EU because you can't turn off the new features in EW.

Okay, I'm really ticked that they got rid of the vanilla XCOM EU because you can't turn off the new features in EW.
But you've never played EU, right? And EW is EU + more content and features. Although in FTL, you can turn off the Advanced Edition content.

JCho133

But you've never played EU, right? And EW is EU + more content and features. Although in FTL, you can turn off the Advanced Edition content.

That's what bothers me. I want to experience the original first

Edit: Looks like I can get EU on the 360 for $10 preowned, but I'd rather get it on iPad for convenience and the touch controls.

heringer

That's what bothers me. I want to experience the original first

Edit: Looks like I can get EU on the 360 for $10 preowned, but I'd rather get it on iPad for convenience and the touch controls.

I don't understand your reasoning. Isn't this like wanting to play the original Minecraft PE before playing the 1.0 version? Enemy Within is the same game, but improved.

Space Expedition is my GOTY.

Even being 45 minutes long? :(

JCho133

I don't understand your reasoning. Isn't this like wanting to play the original Minecraft PE before playing the 1.0 version? Enemy Within is the same game, but improved.

Enemy within is an expansion pack that primarily effects the first half of the game. It provides new maps, a new faction, new story segments, and 2 new tech trees as well as MEC units.

This increased power you're given makes the late game unbalanced because you're so powerful, and the aliens didn't recieve much of a buff to compensate, making it too easy.

Also, the introduction of Meld makes it a very different game.

Quite frankly, they make for 2 very different experiences.

Even being 45 minutes long? :(

Took me a little over an hour, but I combed the hell out of everything. Got every gem.

And length didn't matter when it came to Monument Valley, did it? ;)

Sye d'Burns

So, I finally got around to giving Muertitos a try. The presentation is really, really good. The music is fantastic. The only real complaint I have is my score. :-\

For what it is, it's top-notch.

Am I missing something with Golfinity? There seems to be no point to the game other than "finish as many levels as possible." And there doesn't seem to be any reason to play with any finesse or do anything but just brute force them. It is literally a waste of time.

Am I missing something with Golfinity? There seems to be no point to the game other than "finish as many levels as possible." And there doesn't seem to be any reason to play with any finesse or do anything but just brute force them. It is literally a waste of time.
Literally

I tried a few levels and realized it was going to be one of those games where you've seen everything it has to offer in 10 minutes.

putermcgee

Good thing it's completely free?

I haven't started playing yet, but it looks good enough to keep on my phone a while. I'm in need of a fun mini-golf game.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey IOSGaf quick question for you.

I bought a iCade for my Ipad 2 a long while ago and was using it to play a lot of games. I heard that ios 7 had killed support for the Bluetooth connection that the icade uses. So I never upgraded my OS on it and kept it as it was.

Just got a Ipad Air and I am curious if this was still the case. If so I will keep my 2 and use it soley for the icade. If not I might sell it and use that awesome retina goodness.

Any insight?

Totally untrue, iCade never stopped working with my Mini 2 and iOS7.
Didn't try it with 8.1.1 yet, will do tomorrow and let you know

Matt Frost

The very best twitch game on the AppStore is on sale for a limited time, dropping from 3$ to 1$. NO IAP. Lots of quality touches everywhere, quality and good taste fill this whole game.

AppStore link

Posting about this again, because it looks so good
We Of The Woods - 2015
We of the Woods is a nature survival game
"Shelter meets Don't Starve, with a bit of Proteus"
wofw_shot2.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

---
So I posted about Sunburn a few pages ago
Playing it now and it's really good. It's kind of like "Gravity" meets Lemmings meets precision platformer. You jet-boost through zero g, hooking onto stranded astronauts so you can fly into the sun and die together. You have limited oxygen and each boost jump uses oxygen so you need to consider your path through the gauntlet of black holes, meteors, glass planets, and other obstacles. Cute pixel art and a witty sense of humor

awp69

Yeah I deleted it after a few levels. It felt soulless, I prefer to play Wonderputt (even if it's way too short).

Yeah, after getting my mini, I finally got to try Wonderputt. Fun game with great Monument Valley style art, just wish it had more meat. I'd be willing to pay for more content.

rcl66

Nice to see Monster Dash get a new lease on life and cloud save support. Always thought this game was underrated. Feels harder then before though.

Corgi

Banned
Hmmm can't buy enemy unknown anymore. Still can redownload, but you still can't search for purchases apps on iPhone which sucks.

awp69

Might have been posted already, but fast price drop for The World II Hunting BOSS - $1.99 --> $.99

Word of warning. Not a bad little game, but it's more or less a demo of a MOBA F2P game doing out next year.

For instance, I think this has like six bosses while the full MOBA version is supposed to have like 80. This is single player. Looks nice and kind of fun. Just not what I would consider a full game. Of course, for a buck, it's OK. Just think it should have been released as a demo to get people interested in the upcoming game.

PFD

ustwogames @ustwogames
Seems quite a few people have gone back and 1 star reviewed Monument Valley upon update because the expansion was paid. This makes us sad.

ustwogames @ustwogames
That's it, we're giving up the premium game. Next time we're just going to sell you 500 coins for $2 instead.

iDpyQVUOKBB2Q.gif

Since when did AppStore ratings matter? MV has been featured heavily by Apple, and it's back on the front page after the update. I can't imagine the bad reviews having any significant effect

After the shorter experiences of Framed and Monument Valley, I'm looking for something I can sink a lot of hours into. Not a high score game, but something preferably with lore and a story, with depth, and replayability. Any genre really, Universal, $6.99 or less

I already have Kingdom of Dragon Pass, Out There, Warhammer Quest, Hunters 1/2, XCOM, Deus Ex, The Banner Saga

Something less known, more under-the-radar, would be cool too

How're Talisman and Lords of Waterdeep?

JCho133

A mini review of Space Expedition for my sci-fi thread:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=221612

This game is utterly brilliant. It's an absolute love letter to fans of Metroid when it comes to atmosphere, though it doesn't come with the slick combat and more free form type of roaming. Still, it has shot up to number 1 on my game of the year list.

The game is split into episodes, each of which are a somewhat linear sandbox that allows backtracking, secret finding, and multiple paths to travel, but ultimately has a final goal to move along to. Reaching this takes you to the next "episode," but it feels as fluid as taking an elevator in a Metroid game as you pick up exactly where you left off in the environment.

The upgrades you find are often scripted sort of, in that you pick them up and lose them at specific points. There's one in particular I'm thinking of.

It gives me a sort of Stealth inc feel in that it's a sort of puzzle platformer, but more like the way the overworld of Stealth Inc 2 feels, with more casual environmental puzzles as you move along.

The story is subtle but intriguing, with text logs to be found on fallen scientists' bodies to add to it. There's also moments where you'll see something strange and your character will comment on it, which bump the creepiness factor. The pixel art is f*ckin incredible, with the look of a GBA game, but with colors that pop so much that you just want to stare at them for hours. The game plays with silohouttes in that the ground above and below is solid black with no detail, but the backgrounds and areas you move through are delectably detailed, especially the backgrounds.

This comes together to craft a completely gripping atmosphere of curiosity and caution, and the tense moments of the game successfully grabbed me, however unlikely it may seem that they would.

It's a little on the short side, taking most people around 45 mintutes, but I was able to scrape out a little over an hour by combing every nook and cranny for secrets (such as the hidden gems in each area). But hey, since when has length mattered as long as the experience is powerful enough?

This is one I'll remember, and has certainly earned a place in my all time favorites on iOS.

gblues

Banned
I think we need to hide the GameCenter list inside an e-mail tag. I got friended by a user named "Owens-89" who has done nothing but issue challenge from suspicous-looking Chinese F2P games and is pretty obviously doing nothing but promoting apps via GameCenter.

To be clear, I'm not accusing any GAFer, but it's clear that the link being out there in the clear is attracting the wrong kind of attention.

Might need to Delete/recreate the google doc to invalidate the old URL just for good measure.

PittaGAF

I think we need to hide the GameCenter list inside an e-mail tag. I got friended by a user named "Owens-89" who has done nothing but issue challenge from suspicous-looking Chinese F2P games and is pretty obviously doing nothing but promoting apps via GameCenter.

To be clear, I'm not accusing any GAFer, but it's clear that the link being out there in the clear is attracting the wrong kind of attention.

Might need to Delete/recreate the google doc to invalidate the old URL just for good measure.

I do not want to hijack your post, but I had a somewhat similar 'problem' some weeks ago.
I usually auto accept requests if there is GAF in the request description...but I've noticed that I 'accepted' people that:

1) Can't recognize from this thread, or never heard of
2) No picture/avatar: please put anything!!!
3) After a while I receive challenges of never heard games, mostly with chinese characters.

3) leads to an insta delete.

So if you are a Gaffer and request friendship...please make it clear, especially if your GC nick/name is different from your NeoGAF nick!!!

That said, I love having Gaffers in my GC...love to see what they play, leaderboards etc...

PittaGAF

I was wondering why I was getting GC requests from people I didn't know, mystery solved...

Fact is...I got requests with GAF in the request...so I just press accept before thinking.
My bad.

But...often I got requests by people here who have real names/different nick in GC so I really wasn't worried.

In case someone want to revisit the GC GAF friendship requests rules (if they exist)...let's agree to specify in the request your GAF name etc...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hey iOS GAF. For some reason I completely forgot about this thread this month so have missed out one two whole weeks of games. Good weekend coming up then!

After playing all/most of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 this year I don't know if I can bear another go on that engine for some time so Icewind Dale will need to wait for a bit I think. Great to see the Simogo game has released, can't wait to play that.

Literally all I've played for the past two weeks has been Sky Force, a beautiful and really fun top down shmup. FTP with some IAPs to speed up the upgrades, I gladly paid since I've probably put around 20 hours into this, it's my go-to podcast or bad-TV game. One of the most fun examples of the genre I've played for quite some time.

PFD

It's probably Flunkie

:p

I agree, we should probably hide the list in an email code

Matt Frost

Finished Space Expedition. Love it. A bit short but an experience with no frills. Two (abrupt?) endings. More to come soon. Maybe not THE Game of the Year but with more content is could reach that spot. I wanted more so... I bought Space Age. Now to play it. Wish Space Age gets GameCenter thou (dont know for what but I miss it).

Top Bottom