• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming November 2014: GLORIOUS!™

JCho133

Just played around with one of my buddy's iPad mini 2. Holy hell that thing is sexy.

I'll gift someone an app if they let me use their account to download XCOM Enemy Unknown
( the Internet is a safe place ;) )

PFD

Mirror's Edge was pulled from the appstore. Anybody know why? Luckily I still have it in my purchased tab, and it's working fine on iOS 8.1

Both Dodo Master and Duke Dashington are free at the moment.
I think they were receiving some good feedback here, IIRC.

Edit: upon better inspection, just the iphone version of the Dodo Master is free

awp69

Both Dodo Master and Duke Dashington are free at the moment.
I think they were receiving some good feedback here, IIRC.

Edit: upon better inspection, just the iphone version of the Dodo Master is free

Dojo Master is excellent. I actually double dipped and got the iPad version (only a buck anyway).

Duke Washington's ok. Controls could be better.

Does anybody know how to reset an app's push notification status?

My Sword & Poker isn't in even my Notifications list is Setting and I miss my daily reward reminder.

Zengrams impressions
There are numerous puzzle games about manipulating colors, and many games about forming and reshaping figures, but Zengrams combines those two concepts to deliver a fantastic minimalist puzzle game, perhaps the best I've played since Blek.

Zengrams excels at taking a simple mechanic and exploring it in myriad challenging ways. Each level provides a collection of shapes and an outline of a figure; you must manipulate the shapes to fit the outline. Where Zengrams stands out is its use of color. Overlapping shapes of different colors results in each shaded area becoming its own shape, while like-colored shapes merge together, allowing you to seamlessly combine and split shapes into new figures. Honestly, the GIF below demonstrates the concept in a more succinct fashion.

n5KjtkK.gif

'Simple to understand, difficult to master' aptly describes Zengrams' puzzles. Not only must you be mindful of how and where you place shapes, you also have a limited amount of moves for each level. The early stages ease you in, but soon the challenge ramps up, due to shapes merged or offset in tricky ways or the number of moves you can perform. It's the kind of game where you'll spend 30 minutes on a puzzle, trying it this way and that way, and then came back an hour or a day later with a fresh approach and realize the solution was staring you in the face this whole time. The obvious solution isn't always the correct one, forcing you to think of more concise and efficient ways to complete puzzles. Each new level invokes that sense of "Is this even possible...", and finally solving a particularly challenging level feels so rewarding.

Zengrams' minimalist presentation is merely a stylish facade hiding the challenging nature of its puzzles and the seamless way shapes merge makes each of the game's 70 levels a satisfying experience.

To buy the Monument Valley DLC or not... Enjoyed the base game moderately but didn't think it was fantastic. The puzzles didn't amount to much more than tapping here and there so I thought the praise was a bit overblown. Is the DLC significantly better?
The DLC is not any more difficult than the original. It offers some new gameplay, but nothing brain breaking. The presentation is even better and tear jerking in a certain place.

putermcgee

A friend just got an iPhone 6, and was asking about games to download. I recommended all sorts of titles, but he scoffed at paying for them because... well, because that's what people do with iOS. Anyway, I convinced him to get The Room since you can play the first bit for free and then pay to unlock the rest. He soon bought it after finishing the free part, so I think that's a definite win.

Not all games should have it, and it certainly requires well thought out design to really give a player a feel for why the game is worth buying, but I think that's one of the best ways to sell apps on the AppStore. I don't think it could work on a game like Year Walk or Sword & Sworcery, but surely many other games that failed because people weren't willing to take a chance on a paid app could benefit from this style. I know it's a played-out trope, but I think games that start the player out overpowered, then strip them of their items and stuff -- like Symphony of the Night -- would be prime candidates for this model.

I had my friend also play Device 6 on my phone for the first chapter, and he seemed impressed with that too. Maybe it just takes more patience and knowing your audience to set people on the track of "good games are worth paying for."

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
A friend just got an iPhone 6, and was asking about games to download. I recommended all sorts of titles, but he scoffed at paying for them because... well, because that's what people do with iOS. Anyway, I convinced him to get The Room since you can play the first bit for free and then pay to unlock the rest. He soon bought it after finishing the free part, so I think that's a definite win.

Not all games should have it, and it certainly requires well thought out design to really give a player a feel for why the game is worth buying, but I think that's one of the best ways to sell apps on the AppStore. I don't think it could work on a game like Year Walk or Sword & Sworcery, but surely many other games that failed because people weren't willing to take a chance on a paid app could benefit from this style. I know it's a played-out trope, but I think games that start the player out overpowered, then strip them of their items and stuff -- like Symphony of the Night -- would be prime candidates for this model.

I had my friend also play Device 6 on my phone for the first chapter, and he seemed impressed with that too. Maybe it just takes more patience and knowing your audience to set people on the track of "good games are worth paying for."

Can you smack your friend around the head for me?

I hate people sometimes, they're the worst.

PittaGAF

Interesting post.
We should make a post (or post it here) listing games that were 'case success' of people laughing at iOS gaming and then being believers after having tried specific games.
I bet, as you said, many 'big' iOS games are not suited to attract people...not at first try at least.

I had resounding success with digital boardgames or strategic titles with many PC master race friends...who then bought iPads for those and now play almost everything on the platform.
If not for those (a very specific niche) they wouldn't ever consider iOS gaming.

I bet there are many titles 'we hardcore iOS gamers' do not even consider that would be perfect to show the platform as a viable gaming one (to me, for example, Infinity Blade while big on iOS is NOT one of them).

Matt Frost

I have a good friend who is a huge gamer, basically he works, eats, sleep, play games and see his girlfriend once a week. He owns every single console except the Vita and Microsoft stuff there is. Addicted to the 3DS. At least that was before I gave him my old iPhone 5... now he is completely addicted to it. Completed 10000000 the same day (took him 2 hours to do that lol, put me to shame xD) I gave him the iPhone, also Monument Valley and LIMBO. Broken Sword the next one and now is going though Puzzle to the Center of the Earth and Space Expedition. A he was a huge console gamer, now addicted to iOS. I asked him about the 3DS and he told me if I wanted it LOL. I said hell no. iOS has everything. I gave him my iPhone full of all my favorite games. He has so many ahead: Bastion, Waking Mars, Mines of Mars, Traps N Gemstones, Blast-A-Way, Gesundheit!, EDGE and EDGE Extended, Space Age, and so many more. Soon he will forget about Sony or Nintendo. And he will become a full time iOS gamer. Coming from someone that played AAA games, like hundred of hours into Metal Gear Solid, Oblivion or Skyrim for example. Now an iOS gamer. xD

It's only for the PC version, but I'm posting it here because it's too awesome not to post here.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WAm5yxQA_HY
Introducing Goat MMO Simulator. Free expansion for Goat Sim. Um. Watch this trailer:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/331380/?snr=1_5_9__405

Features

• Five different classes: Warrior, Rouge, Magician, Hunter and Microwave
  • Complete dozens of quests, level up a hundred times and play five different classes that’s a ton of content you do the math, we all went to high-school well I didn’t I was too busy huffing paint behind the cafeteria
  • Level cap is 101, 1 level higher than you-know-what
  • Prolly not tons of content tho, but don’t hate be cool
  • Stay a while and listen to Dumblebore the Grey in Twistram
  • Faction warfare between goats and sheep
  • MMO simulation so good you’ll think it’s real
  • There are even elves and dwarves like in that movie

People might scoff at Goat Sim being a good game, but the post-release support has been insane

awp69

Sad to see Bug Princess Duel released only to find it's F2P.

Reading comments from Shaun Musgrave, I guess most of the old Cave developers left the newer social focused Cave?

So the king of awesome premium shmups is dead.

As usual, my friend Pete finds the coolest under-the-radar releases

Ironfell
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ironfell/id937153550?mt=8
The great big multiplayer strategy game that gives you the unfair advantage.
Embark on an epic crusade across all of space and time in real time.
From humble beginnings in a safe green valley, explore and conquer thousands of realms by land and by sea.

There are 141 different unit types in Ironfell, now including time machines and dinosaurs. And things are just getting started. Buckle up baby, 'cause we're blasting off into space!

5zvFevU.jpg

Skyturns
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skyturns/id938219594?mt=8
http://youtu.be/bvPLSfl1Qvg
A challenge for speed in three dimensions

Joakim wanted a good cell phone/table game that is simple that you can play many many times and get infinitely good at, like ElastoMania has been for him on the PC. Skyturns has a very different setting but the principles are the same - many challenging levels that can be solved in different ways and that can be played thousands of times to find the fastest route or combination of jumps. Look at the videos and screenshots and you'll see what its like. Then you have to play it for a while to really get the point of it, when you get some flow and speed going

Pmyy9ac.jpg

Flunkie

Banned
I have a good friend who is a huge gamer, basically he works, eats, sleep, play games and see his girlfriend once a week. He owns every single console except the Vita and Microsoft stuff there is. Addicted to the 3DS. At least that was before I gave him my old iPhone 5... now he is completely addicted to it. Completed 10000000 the same day (took him 2 hours to do that lol, put me to shame xD) I gave him the iPhone, also Monument Valley and LIMBO. Broken Sword the next one and now is going though Puzzle to the Center of the Earth and Space Expedition. A he was a huge console gamer, now addicted to iOS. I asked him about the 3DS and he told me if I wanted it LOL. I said hell no. iOS has everything. I gave him my iPhone full of all my favorite games. He has so many ahead: Bastion, Waking Mars, Mines of Mars, Traps N Gemstones, Blast-A-Way, Gesundheit!, EDGE and EDGE Extended, Space Age, and so many more. Soon he will forget about Sony or Nintendo. And he will become a full time iOS gamer. Coming from someone that played AAA games, like hundred of hours into Metal Gear Solid, Oblivion or Skyrim for example. Now an iOS gamer. xD
So sad. I wish I could do the opposite.

I prefer a healthy mix of both. The big budget AAA games can be just as enjoyable as IOS games

JCho133

Wow, that's interesting, my story is the total opposite. I've always been a gamer, but for the past year or so my I've barely touched my 360 and been almost solely iOS. Prior to that I'd been into pretty even amounts of both, but iOS completely stole the spotlight from any handhelds for a solid 3-4 years. Then, in August, I bought a 3DS (XL) and I practically stopped iOS gaming, spending a ton of time with my 3DS and its physical controls and awesome eShop. I got completely rebooked and wished I had bought a 3DS earlier as it turned out that I really did miss playing on handhelds. It even pushed me enough to purchase a Wii U, both of which I love because they're getting so many good indies and virtual console games.

So at this point I've found a middle ground, as I'm easing back into iOS a little.

JCho133

If I can 100% the first chapter, so can you :p
I found that tapping your foot to the beat helped.

That's precisely the issue, it's a bit of a hassle to tap the foot at many moments. (Such as on the toilet)

I shall perservere!

Btw, only reason I've been tapping my foot was thanks to your post from a while ago saying it helped. Probably wouldn't have thought of that on my own, so thanks ;)

Also, Zengrams is devilishly difficult

awp69

Vainglory is out in the US. Been playing a bit since softlaunch but was waiting for the US release before really digging into it.

Fun, great looking MOBA. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm new to MOBA so I can't really compare how it fares against others. As a F2P, it seems like you can play without hitting a paywall. I suppose that also depends on who you are playing against.

Definately worth checking out if you have a 5S+ or an iPad Air/Mini (basically all the Metal supported devices.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vainglory/id671464704?mt=8

Oh, and the tutorial is good and newbie friendly.

Vainglory is out in the US. Been playing a bit since softlaunch but was waiting for the US release before really digging into it.

Fun, great looking MOBA. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm new to MOBA so I can't really compare how it fares against others. As a F2P, it seems like you can play without hitting a paywall. I suppose that also depends on who you are playing against.

Definately worth checking out if you have a 5S+ or an iPad Air/Mini (basically all the Metal supported devices.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vainglory/id671464704?mt=8

Oh, and the tutorial is good and newbie friendly.

The registration thing has a glaring visual bug on non iPads. Game is okay but doesn't play well on iPhone 5s. Performance is fine but the ui is just too small. I kept using abilities when I wanted to upgrade them.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
They've been killing it with the hilarious descriptions/patch notes. Check out their 1.1 notes
http://steamcommunity.com/games/265930/announcements/detail/1695916337353156299

There are so many references to other games I can't stop laughing

Stand by for Goatfall
Enjoyed flappy goat
Removed Flappy Goat, I hate that fucking game.
Got 11 points on Flappy Goat; readded Flappy Goat.
Spent more time writing jokes about Flappy Goat than working on the patch
Changed the points required for the Flappy Goat Achievement from 10 to 30
Just kidding.
Played a whole lot of Wildstar

There are so many references to other games I can't stop laughing

Stand by for Goatfall
Enjoyed flappy goat
Removed Flappy Goat, I hate that fucking game.
Got 11 points on Flappy Goat; readded Flappy Goat.
Spent more time writing jokes about Flappy Goat than working on the patch
Changed the points required for the Flappy Goat Achievement from 10 to 30
Just kidding.
Played a whole lot of Wildstar
Not sure if you're ever going to get it, but those references are even funnier because
there really is a Flappy Goat mini-game in the game

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Not sure if you're ever going to get it, but those references are even funnier because
there really is a Flappy Goat mini-game in the game

LOL I thought those were all just flappy bird references. Damn.

Anyone know a good Super meat boy-like game that isn't a shallow endless runner?
Commander Pixman
Mini Dash
14px

The three best SMB-likes I've played on IOS

Another game you'd probably like is VVVVVV, a hard as nails Metroidvania-esque precision platformer from Terry Cavanaugh (Super Hexagon)

Flunkie

Banned
Get a Mini man. So glad I did. Perfect size for iOS gaming IMO.

I loved the form factor of the mini I won in a contest. It felt the perfect size for gaming.

But the way they completely gimped the new mini made me get an Air 2 as my next upgrade. Just think if they used the same innards as the Air 2 in the mini 3 :(

Top Bottom