• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming November 2014: GLORIOUS!™

Matt Frost

Wish Space Age gets GameCenter thou (dont know for what but I miss it).

Now I know for what. An achievement for each time you get the star for exploring and discovering the different things -related or not to the story-. That would be a good use.

Space Age is becoming quite a nice game with its clever story and the mystery it evokes... accompanied by the perfect score and sounds. Loving it to pieces so far.

PittaGAF

Does it subvert them by actually being challenging?

Hah, fair question. I'm curious to know, too!

Levels are slightly more difficult than the vanilla levels, especially the second half (4-8).
They start about last 3 vanilla levels difficulty ('the box' and beyond).

It's basically impossibile to get really stuck, so I do not think you can talk about 'difficulty' per se in Monument Valley.
More like...you will play with the environment more.

Levels are really clever anyway, with even some added mechanics...they clearly were on drugs when they planned them.
I guess testing has been a nightmare too.

kwheaties

Can anyone recommend any good golf games? I used to play Tiger Woods and Let's Golf a ton, but I'm not finding either of them in the app store anymore...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh man I never thought I'd be so disappointed to see XCOM Enemy Within is on iOS now. I only just played it a few months ago on PS3. I wish they weren't so cagey about releases on iOS, I totally would have waited for this. Can't really justify playing it for the fifth time.

On the line is free. Seems to be a nicely done finger dodging game.
On The Line is really good

Posted this when it first released
I had seen On The Line before, but didn't realize what kind of game it was. Thought it was some kind of simple causal experience. I mean, just moving your finger along a path, how hard could that be?

But now that I've played a few attempts, I can see my uniformed judgement was totally wrong. On The Line is an awesomely smart use of touch controls, that revolves around timing and reflexes as you react to new obstacles along the path. The minimalist art works great, nothing cluttering the screen as you progress along your journey

Guiding your finger along this endless line is no easy task, due to moving sections, rotating hazards, and twisting paths. It's fun, challenging, and the kind of experience that's only possible on mobile

And it got updated with 9 new game modes after being released

PittaGAF

Can't believe I posted something about Out There and it didn't get commented on by Pitta. :)

Ehehehe actually yesterday I did answer, but then real life got in and I must have closed the browser before pressing submit.
The expansion should be here any week now....can't wait!!!

As for the 'problem' that killed you...do not worry...standard fare :)
I too wished for words being the same between playthroughs...but it would be too easy if so (so I was answered...not that I think the game couldn't be a tad easier).

awp69

Well, as my first Xcom experience, I must say Enemy Within is f***ing awesome.

Still early but brilliant stuff. This and Banner Saga will fill my strategy needs for a good while.

killercow

I enjoyed Space Expedition. It reminded me of Another World in the sense that you are thrown into a dangerous world that you uncover bit by bit, even if Another World is more difficult and more action packed.

I picked up Sword & Poker Adventures again this week, they seem to be slowly rebalancing things as to not be quite so F2P hostile, although gems are still pretty rare and the real dollar cost is absurd. I really like the game and would easily throw a $5 or so at it for a gem pack if that would cover me for the majority of the game.

Anyway, there's an event going on (sixteen days left) with new tower levels that you can play over and over without using "energy," it costs gold instead but the rewards are pretty good. For example the first tower's first floor costs 50 gold and the lowest prize is 200 gold, third floor has one of the gem weapons as a prize.

Oh yeah, since I still collected the daily login prizes for the last couple of months, I had a good surplus of magic and funds, so that was nice.

Does anybody still play this anymore?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I picked up Sword & Poker Adventures again this week, they seem to be slowly rebalancing things as to not be quite so F2P hostile, although gems are still pretty rare and the real dollar cost is absurd. I really like the game and would easily throw a $5 or so at it for a gem pack if that would cover me for the majority of the game.

Anyway, there's an event going on (sixteen days left) with new tower levels that you can play over and over without using "energy," it costs gold instead but the rewards are pretty good. For example the first tower's first floor costs 50 gold and the lowest prize is 200 gold, third floor has one of the gem weapons as a prize.

Oh yeah, since I still collected the daily login prizes for the last couple of months, I had a good surplus of magic and funds, so that was nice.

Does anybody still play this anymore?

... wait, what are you talking about

I loved Sword & Poker, is there a new one?

... wait, what are you talking about

I loved Sword & Poker, is there a new one?
Yup, Konami (ugh) bought the IP and made a F2P version.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/swords-poker-adventures/id808589838?mt=8

It has some bad IAP and Facebook hooks, but they have actually been listening to feedback (maybe?) and have been tweaking things since launch. I play a few rounds here and there so the limits don't really catch up to me (and the daily rewards add up nicely). I still haven't gotten to take advantage of the Faecbook stuff though.

Zengrams is a new puzzle game from the developer publisher of Pathogen and Third Eye Crime. $3, no IAP

https://appsto.re/us/T2af3.i
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry5fk8N-s24
Zengrams is an abstract, minimalist puzzler available exclusively on the Apple App Store for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

Designed by Andreas Boye and brought to you by the publisher of indie hits Pathogen and Third Eye Crime, Zengrams was designed to exercise your brain through deceptively simple puzzles in which players rearrange shapes into the correct design. Carefully manage your limited number of moves as you cut, combine and position your way to success.

066.png

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah, Sword & Poker Adventures. It's free with IAPs and dual currencies :)

Yup, Konami (ugh) bought the IP and made a F2P version.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/swords-poker-adventures/id808589838?mt=8

It has some bad IAP and Facebook hooks, but they have actually been listening to feedback (maybe?) and have been tweaking things since launch. I play a few rounds here and there so the limits don't really catch up to me (and the daily rewards add up nicely). I still haven't gotten to take advantage of the Faecbook stuff though.

That looks... Freemium-y terrible... I'm gonna give it a try but dear lord I hope they didn't butcher it. :(

sheaaaa

To buy the Monument Valley DLC or not... Enjoyed the base game moderately but didn't think it was fantastic. The puzzles didn't amount to much more than tapping here and there so I thought the praise was a bit overblown. Is the DLC significantly better?

Flunkie

Banned
So Clash of Clans does some things that I like, but also a lot of stuff that I hate. I don't play it any more and it has been long, long deleted from my phone. But I downloaded this game on a whim the other day and have been addicted since --

Tiny Realms basically fixes all of the issues I have with Clash, and it's a fantastic take on it. Basically three fundamental things make it instantly better than Clash:

1. You can keep your fucking troops after deploying them. This makes a WORLD of a difference. I wanted to love Star Wars Commander because I love Star Wars, but I couldn't, because you can't keep your troops after battle. Silly, but there's no freaking reason to not allow it other than greed.

2. You can actually control and guide your troops during battles, drawing paths that you want them to take or simple tapping the group (called a Warband) you want to move and then tapping where you want them to go or attack. It works well and you don't have mindless AI chopping away at a wall while a turret sits there and chews through them.

3. There's three factions, and you're constantly battling over land via the in-game map (that first reminded me of a condensed Westeros or Middle-Earth due to how detailed it was), full of different points to hold that affects your faction (hold a hex for +5% faster gold accumulation, for example). It gives an awesome (in my opinion) PURPOSE to the game.

...So I've been really enjoying it guilt-free because it just does so many things right as a free-to-play game, which is very very rare these days. As if you need any more convincing, Pocket Gamer gave it a 9/10.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Tiny+Realms/review.asp?c=62105

I joined the Dwarves and I play under the name "Jango Petrol".

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
To buy the Monument Valley DLC or not... Enjoyed the base game moderately but didn't think it was fantastic. The puzzles didn't amount to much more than tapping here and there so I thought the praise was a bit overblown. Is the DLC significantly better?

It's $2, don't give yourself a headache thinking about it dude. If you want more of the game, you want the DLC.

Okay, so Zengrams is excellent. So simple, yet so tricky and challenging. It's the kind of game where the "obvious" solution isn't always the correct one, the limited moves forcing you to think of more concise and efficient ways to complete the puzzles.

The seamless way that shapes merge and split into different pieces is very cool and pretty ingenious. I don't think I've seen a mechanic like that before.

I found the first 15 or so levels not that challenging, but the difficulty is definitely ramping up, due to shapes that already merged or offset in tricky ways or the limited number of moves you can do.

I'm up to level 25 out of 70 and I'd say it's shaping up to my favorite minimalist puzzle game since Blek

JCho133

So Clash of Clans does some things that I like, but also a lot of stuff that I hate. I don't play it any more and it has been long, long deleted from my phone. But I downloaded this game on a whim the other day and have been addicted since --

Tiny Realms basically fixes all of the issues I have with Clash, and it's a fantastic take on it. Basically three fundamental things make it instantly better than Clash:

1. You can keep your fucking troops after deploying them. This makes a WORLD of a difference. I wanted to love Star Wars Commander because I love Star Wars, but I couldn't, because you can't keep your troops after battle. Silly, but there's no freaking reason to not allow it other than greed.

2. You can actually control and guide your troops during battles, drawing paths that you want them to take or simple tapping the group (called a Warband) you want to move and then tapping where you want them to go or attack. It works well and you don't have mindless AI chopping away at a wall while a turret sits there and chews through them.

3. There's three factions, and you're constantly battling over land via the in-game map (that first reminded me of a condensed Westeros or Middle-Earth due to how detailed it was), full of different points to hold that affects your faction (hold a hex for +5% faster gold accumulation, for example). It gives an awesome (in my opinion) PURPOSE to the game.

...So I've been really enjoying it guilt-free because it just does so many things right as a free-to-play game, which is very very rare these days. As if you need any more convincing, Pocket Gamer gave it a 9/10.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Tiny+Realms/review.asp?c=62105

I joined the Dwarves and I play under the name "Jango Petrol".

Well, if PG gave it a 9 I'll try it

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Any impressions on Vain Glory? I've never played a moba before and find them very intimidating but would be interested in giving it a shot if it's worth my time.

awp69

Any impressions on Vain Glory? I've never played a moba before and find them very intimidating but would be interested in giving it a shot if it's worth my time.

Haven't played it much yet but it seems pretty accessible. Have you played Fates Forever? They're very similar gameplay wise but Vainglory is better so far IMO.

...and prettier :)

I'm also new to MOBAs and found the tutorials for both games to be excellent -- Vainglory's in particular. I haven't played a live match yet though.

joesmokey

Finished Goblin Sword, ended up really liking it after a slow start. Typically l avoid games with virtual buttons, but I didn't mind it here. Now looking for something similar (not Swordigo).

Tempted to pickup DQIV, but I'm trying to wait for a Winter sale.

Robotziane

Neo Member

Its my first MOBA and im finding it great fun. Lots of newbies like ourselves playing at the mo so its a great time to jump in.

My in game name is gavin443 if you want to add me as a friend on it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
You know what?
I really wish Ubisob would release South Park ASOT on iOS, would fit the platform perfectly.
Tho they haven't even releaed Child of Light despite running on UbiArt's framework like Valiant Hearts...
I'd definitely pay $15 for SP.

While they're at it they should port Child of Eden, maybe they can recoup some of the costs of that mega flop

Flunkie

Banned
Finished Goblin Sword, ended up really liking it after a slow start. Typically l avoid games with virtual buttons, but I didn't mind it here. Now looking for something similar (not Swordigo).

Tempted to pickup DQIV, but I'm trying to wait for a Winter sale.
Dungeon Heroes (makers of Random Heroes)

Up to level 30 in Zengrams and it's so good. Really challenging. I've spent 30 minutes on some of these puzzles, or come back after being stumped for an hour. Like the equally tricky Shapist, there are no hints, no skipping levels. The only way forward is to think and figure out the puzzles. Highly recommended

Flunkie

Banned
Haha, Devious Dungeons. I already said that one

Edit: whoops. Looks like my post from a while ago didn't go through
Lol you're right. Actually I've been playing Random Heroes 2 and Devious Dungeons again after the release of RH3 and they're both really fun!

Okay, so I'm playing what just might be my favorite physics-based puzzle/building platformer on IOS yet. It's be releasing soon, and it's just so good. The physics are so satisfying and snappy and the game is super charming.

Odd Bot Out
http://www.oddbotout.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn7v_k0Rk4c
Odd is not like the other robots. After failing a standardized test Odd ends up in the recycling bin. Help Odd escape the robot factory using building blocks, electricity, and physics!
Each level presents a unique challenge. Construct a bridge across a gap. Ride a robotic centipede. Build and drive a car.
oddbotout-screenshot01.png
oddbotout-screenshot03.png

If you're interested, you can contact the dev to beta test

PittaGAF

Talisman gets better and better at every update.
Already up to the best sp boardgames (up with Elder Sign: Omens and Carcassonne), if not the best app (being universal with iCloud sync).
I still wish for async because I can't understand how people have that much hours to play online live with others, but it's great nonetheless.

SiDCrAzY

Ever since I got back into iOS gaming I've been buying so many games. I haven't even tried some of them yet.

Addicted to collecting them, more than playing them.

just had to wipe my pc, and so had to re download itunes, I had 1.5 GB of free space n my device but when I went to transfer purchases from device the pc, something was put onto my device and now says i have no free space and I cant figure out what it was, no apps where on my pc at that time only my songs/albums which were already on the device, is there a way to find out? I can only asssume that 'other' has increased for no reason

ok this is weird, if I restart my ipad I get the space back, why is space being taken up on my ipad when i'm transferring FROM it and not TO it

tanooki27

One of the very few bummers about the iPhone 6+ is that a lot of games place the "retry" button near the middle of the screen, so you have to stretch your thumb an uncomfortable amount to reach it while holding the phone horizontally. Anyone else notice this? devs if you're listening - retry on left or right side of screen pls

hmm, found a slight reason as to why that was happening, seems the device was 'unpacking' the downloaded games and then transferring them but then hit the max space limit. That doesn't explain the increased other usage though.

Matt Frost

I am trying to play Rayman Fiesta Run on the latest iOS and on the latest iPhone with no good results. It doesnt register my taps on the right part of the screen and the other part is highly unresponsive. Damn.

Top Bottom