• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2015 | Just when you thought your TV was safe from mobile games

Matt Frost

You're probably way far into Hero Emblems, but if you aren't already, you could play it on easy. It's STILL pretty hard even on easy but might help.

Unfortunately, you do have to start from scratch.

Hmmm, might be a solution... if I wasn't nearing the end... might check how easy on another save slot. Might be a good tip. Thanks

Matt Frost

This is what made me stop, too. Almost made it to the last continent but hit a difficulty wall and didn't feel like grinding. Wish there were a difficulty option mid-campaign.

Same here. The game breaks down into: kill minions, find a boss, die, die, die, grind for 2 hours, come back, defeat the boss, continue to fight countless minions, arrive at the next boss, get beaten, die, grind 2 or 3 hours, come back... rinse and repeat, all the time. Too bad since the gameplay is stellar and probably the most complete match-3 game on iOS (the place for them to be).

Oh, nice, TA is saying Duelyst will be coming to mobile
Currently in open beta
5yC2Dt0.png
KB8eVva.gif

awp69

Same here. The game breaks down into: kill minions, find a boss, die, die, die, grind for 2 hours, come back, defeat the boss, continue to fight countless minions, arrive at the next boss, get beaten, die, grind 2 or 3 hours, come back... rinse and repeat, all the time. Too bad since the gameplay is stellar and probably the most complete match-3 game on iOS (the place for them to be).

Although you certainly will find the need to grind at times, a lot of it also is finding the right combination of skills and/or Emblems to use against bosses. As you're battling them you'll often see them guarding completely against certain attacks so you'll need to find another way to damage them. Of course, if you don't have the right skill/emblem equipped, you may have difficulty damaging them at all. One boss may have a weakness to lightning, another fire, etc., much like other RPGs.

That's part of the strategy component of the game but does take some trial and error.

With my piss poor memory, I likely won't remember which boss was weak to which skill or emblem.

There are some guides out there though. Here's a good one from App Unwrapper:

http://www.appunwrapper.com/2015/01/09/hero-emblems-walkthrough-strategy-guide/

And one specifically for bosses:

http://www.appunwrapper.com/2015/01/13/hero-emblems-boss-guide/

That isn't to say even with those hints that it won't be difficult (it will).

Edit: Looking at the boss guide, there's still some gaps there, but definitely some good info. I'm sure there are others out there as well.

Heel

Man, I really have not played many iOS games this year. What's one or two games that you guys consider to be must-play from 2015?

It doesn't feel like there's been many games that have really taken ahold of the community as a whole this year. Maybe The Room 3 will change that...hah.

What I've played that's released this calendar year:

You Must Build a Boat
Downwell
Her Story
Card Crawl
Alphabear
Lifeline
PAC-MAN 256

I'd consider the first three 2015 essentials.

awp69

Man, I really have not played many iOS games this year. What's one or two games that you guys consider to be must-play from 2015?

It doesn't feel like there's been many games that have really taken ahold of the community as a whole this year. Maybe The Room 3 will change that...hah.

You Must Build a Boat
Downwell
Her Story
Card Crawl
Alphabear
Lifeline
PAC-MAN 256

Some of my favorites:

Hero Emblems (despite the difficulty discussed above)
Legend of Grimlock
Galactic Keep
Deathwatch
The Executive
Ire : Blood Memory (also very difficult - think Dark Souls - but in a good way IMO...and worth spending a bit on an IAP or two)
Horizon Chase
Prune
Heroki
HoPiKo

Those are just a few that are still on my iPad.

You Must Build a Boat
Downwell
Her Story
Card Crawl
Alphabear
Lifeline
PAC-MAN 256

Some of my favorites from this year would include:
- Space Marshals
- Dark Echo
- Galactic Keep
- Prune
- The Sequence
- Hero Emblems
- Warhammer 40k: Deathwatch
- Dungeon of the Endless
- Hopiko
- Divide By Sheep
- This War of Mine
- Implosion
- Doorkickers

Aaron D.

Galactic Keep is a fantastic 80s styled sci/fi tabletop rpg with beautiful hand-drawn presentation and killer writing. My favorite iOS release this year.

Matt Frost

Although you certainly will find the need to grind at times, a lot of it also is finding the right combination of skills and/or Emblems to use against bosses. As you're battling them you'll often see them guarding completely against certain attacks so you'll need to find another way to damage them. Of course, if you don't have the right skill/emblem equipped, you may have difficulty damaging them at all. One boss may have a weakness to lightning, another fire, etc., much like other RPGs.

That's part of the strategy component of the game but does take some trial and error.

With my piss poor memory, I likely won't remember which boss was weak to which skill or emblem.

There are some guides out there though. Here's a good one from App Unwrapper:

http://www.appunwrapper.com/2015/01/09/hero-emblems-walkthrough-strategy-guide/

And one specifically for bosses:

http://www.appunwrapper.com/2015/01/13/hero-emblems-boss-guide/

That isn't to say even with those hints that it won't be difficult (it will).

Edit: Looking at the boss guide, there's still some gaps there, but definitely some good info. I'm sure there are others out there as well.

Yeah I was battling a monster that required Lightning, and only the swordsman had such ability. So I had to watch how my three other teammates struggled and even healed the boss lol. Definitely has difficulty spikes. And thanks for the website, will check that guide later. Thanks!

You Must Build a Boat
Downwell
Her Story
Card Crawl
Alphabear
Lifeline
PAC-MAN 256

My favorites of 2015, so far...

Tetrobot & Co
Super Happy Fun Block
HoPiKo
Divide By Sheep
Dandy: A Brief Glimpse Into the Life of an Alchemist
Hero Emblems (easy mode is the way to go lol)
Downwell
Land Sliders
Ski Safari 2
Dragon Hills

I got myself Ipad a week ago and I'm currently on the hunt for some more games

I'm looking for:

Visual Novels (I know of 999 and Banshee Last Cry)
Stuff that was previously only on Nintendo platforms (already added TWEWY and 999 to wishlist)
Rhytm games (I've got LoveLive and DJMAX)

PS. If I added something to wishlist will Apple send me notification when it goes on sale?

I'm looking for:

Stuff that was previously only on Nintendo platforms (already added TWEWY and 999 to wishlist)

PS. If I added something to wishlist will Apple send me notification when it goes on sale?
Rhythm, you should check out Simogo's Beat Sneak Bandit

And more interactive fiction rather than visual novel, I'd recommend the Sorcery series, 80 Days, and Heavy Metal Thunder + Sol Invictus

rrvv

I'm looking for:

Ace Attorney Dual Destiny

You Must Build a Boat
Downwell
Her Story
Card Crawl
Alphabear
Lifeline
PAC-MAN 256

Galatic keep, Prune, and TWoM are must buys in my mind.

Ketch

So I just bought my first tablet, the newest iPad (air 2?) because I'll be overseas for a bit with limited internet access and I'm looking for some game recommendations.

So far I got shadow run dragon fall and was thinking about picking up baldurs gate 1 & 2 and Xcom. Does anyone know how those games run on iOS? I'm worried about controls and performance. Especially for Xcom.

So I just bought my first tablet, the newest iPad (air 2?) because I'll be overseas for a bit with limited internet access and I'm looking for some game recommendations.

So far I got shadow run dragon fall and was thinking about picking up baldurs gate 1 & 2 and Xcom. Does anyone know how those games run on iOS? I'm worried about controls and performance. Especially for Xcom.
As a whole, turn-based games play awesomely on touch. XCOM, FTL, Banner Saga, Transistor, etc.

Baldurs Gate played pretty well IMO, but I've never played it on PC so I can't really compare

awp69

I haven't played much, but Beggar's Ride is a really charming puzzle platformer. I've heard it isn't long but screams of polish and heart.

I haven't played much, but Beggar's Ride is a really charming puzzle platformer. I've heard it isn't long but screams of polish and heart.
I'm a little burnt out on puzzle platformer's right now but, after seeing pocketgamer's review, I think I will pick it up at some point in the future.

awp69

And of course, since I just bought it last night, Beggar's Ride, is now on sale for $1.99. A steal at that price.

awp69

Not in the NA App Store, apparently :(

Might be one of those that comes at 11 p.m. EST. I just happened to notice it in App Zapp.

Edit: Or not. It just dropped off of AppZapp too with no record of the drop ever occurring. Strange.

But I think it's worth the $3.99.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
thinking of upgrading to an ipad pro - what orher pc level games (prison arch, xcom) are there in the pipeline?

thinking of upgrading to an ipad pro - what orher pc level games (prison arch, xcom) are there in the pipeline?
Titan Quest, Ronin, Wartile, Interstellaria, STASIS, Darkest Dungeon, Songbringer, Liege, The Witness, Sokobond, A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build, Armello, Mushroom 11, Rymdresa, GNOG, Objects In Space

And probably some others I'm forgetting

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Titan Quest, Ronin, Wartile, Interstellaria, STASIS, Darkest Dungeon, Songbringer, Liege, The Witness, Sokobond, A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build, Armello, Mushroom 11, Rymdresa, GNOG, Objects In Space

And probably some others I'm forgetting

thanks, some of those look really great

damn i might have to buy this ipad pro soon

orfax

Dark Echo. My friends are probably sick of me talking about it. But it is a great unique puzzler.

-psygnosis-

Neo Member
Oh, nice, TA is saying Duelyst will be coming to mobile
Currently in open beta

Nice, also open beta just began so everyone can check it out on pc.

I bought the collectors edition in january and played in pre alpha, game was already super polished but gameplay lacked excitement I think, haven't played since then but heard they added some kind of puzzles, so time to give it a try again.

If you haven't seen it's beautiful art yet you should check out this thread: http://forums.duelyst.com/t/duelyst-artwork-wallpapers/15/27

Fnw7IWx.png

Gaaraz

I've actually lost my iPad. It's in the house somewhere but I can't find it - is there a way to call it or something like that? The find my phone app on my phone only shows my phone... Not the iPad

PittaGAF

I've actually lost my iPad. It's in the house somewhere but I can't find it - is there a way to call it or something like that? The find my phone app on my phone only shows my phone... Not the iPad

If you have the feature turned on (it's on by default) just have someone calling you via FaceTime....the iPad should ring (if volume is up).

Alternatively from your phone you can use the Find my Phone feature and ping the iPad from there (should emit an alarm).

EDIT: sorry just read....is find my phone doesn't show your iPad, means it's not registered so you can't use that, sorry.

Matt Frost

That's it, I'm fucking done with the iOS App Store.

I moved to Steam. No watch ads crap, IAP, f2p crap, no microtransactions, no game removals, and a lot of games, more depth, better controls, better ecosystem, gaming friendly overseers, awesome community, oh, and did I mention games? Cryptark, Mark of the Ninja, FEZ, Super Meat Boy, Galak-Z, Ori and the Blind Forest, Death Gambit, Rain World, SteamWorld Dig, Rayman Legends, Escape Goat, Nuclear Throne, Doko Roko... and the list just keeps going and going. So many. So good. Best thing I did in a while. I will still eventually buy some premium games, but not so many, depends on what game will be on Steam. This week: Galak-Z. 16$. No time for iOS.

Moreche

I moved to Steam. No watch ads crap, IAP, f2p crap, no microtransactions, no game removals, and a lot of games, more depth, better controls, better ecosystem, gaming friendly overseers, awesome community, oh, and did I mention games? Cryptark, Mark of the Ninja, FEZ, Super Meat Boy, Galak-Z, Ori and the Blind Forest, Death Gambit, Rain World, SteamWorld Dig, Rayman Legends, Escape Goat, Nuclear Throne, Doko Roko... and the list just keeps going and going. So many. So good. Best thing I did in a while. I will still eventually buy some premium games, but not so many, depends on what game will be on Steam. This week: Galak-Z. 16$. No time for iOS.
I'm going to follow your advice to the letter.

awp69

The sad thing is that this could all be resolved if Apple would put some sort of compatibility mode into iOS.

Windows has it and it's why most games aren't just dead in the water with each new version.

Matt Frost

I'm going to follow your advice to the letter.

I forgot to mention all the sales Steam has. Has a monday sale every week with hundreds of games on sale, there is a mid week madness with more games on sale, another weekend sale, then there is Summer, Winter, Autumn, Christmas, Spring, Halloween and more huge, store wide sales going on most of the time, so if you have patience (my mortal enemy) you can get most games on the cheap. I love Steam. You will have a slightly more expensive blast there. Totally recommended.

If you really enjoyed SpaceChem and are moving to PC, I recommend picking it up on Steam. The iPad version was missing the story and boss levels

To be fair, I can't really blame Zach. How many sales was a 2011 PC port making at this point? While he's been making successful games on PC like Ironclad Tactics and Infinifactory?

Top Bottom