• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2015 | Just when you thought your TV was safe from mobile games

Moreche

To be fair, I can't really blame Zach. How many sales was a 2011 PC port making at this point? While he's been making successful games on PC like Ironclad Tactics and Infinifactory?
I think that's the problem, iOS ports of older PC games come across as an afterthought even if they're not but if it's your first experience in playing these ports then who is to blame when support stops?
I think I'll stick with my PS4, Xbox One and get a laptop for steam games in the future.

Aaron D.

I moved to Steam. No watch ads crap, IAP, f2p crap, no microtransactions, no game removals, and a lot of games, more depth, better controls, better ecosystem, gaming friendly overseers, awesome community, oh, and did I mention games? Cryptark, Mark of the Ninja, FEZ, Super Meat Boy, Galak-Z, Ori and the Blind Forest, Death Gambit, Rain World, SteamWorld Dig, Rayman Legends, Escape Goat, Nuclear Throne, Doko Roko... and the list just keeps going and going. So many. So good. Best thing I did in a while. I will still eventually buy some premium games, but not so many, depends on what game will be on Steam. This week: Galak-Z. 16$. No time for iOS.

Strange to see an advertisement for Steam in a dedicated iOS thread. Like, I sympathize with your desire to move on and all, but at this point I imagine everyone posting in this thread is fully aware of the Steam platform and its pros & cons.

Just seems like an odd declaration of intent given that the two platforms are pretty independent of one another in form and function.

Anyway, happy trails on the Steam side. I'm pretty much exclusively Steam/iOS at this point and couldn't be happier with the pairing.

Matt Frost

Strange to see an advertisement for Steam in a dedicated iOS thread. Like, I sympathize with your desire to move on and all, but at this point I imagine everyone posting in this thread is fully aware of the Steam platform and its pros & cons.

Just seems like an odd declaration of intent given that the two platforms are pretty independent of one another in form and function.*

Anyway, happy trails on the Steam side. I'm pretty much exclusively Steam/iOS at this point and couldn't be happier with the pairing.

I was pointing him in a good direction since he seems frustrated with the shenanigans of this platform, and Steam doesn't have any of those specific things he mentioned. I thought it was the best option. My intentions were never to advertise neither declaring, sorry you misunderstood me. Now I am like you, exclusive to Steam and iOS. But *not* stricktly iOS as before (and some ex-PS4 Battlefield and the occasional fiend who comes with a game to beat). Besides, on the Indie Steam thread they post iOS releases as well.

Edit: Lol its not Indie Steam, its just Indie thread. Sorry, my confusion.

Aaron D.

I was pointing him in a good direction since he seems frustrated with the shenanigans of this platform, and Steam doesn't have any of those specific things he mentioned. I thought it was the best option. My intentions were never to advertise neither declaring, sorry you misunderstood me. Now I am like you, exclusive to Steam and iOS. But stricktly iOS as before (and some ex-PS4 Battlefield and the occasional fiend who comes with a game to beat). Besides, on the Indie Steam thread they post iOS releases as well.

Edit: Lol its not Indie Steam, its just Indie thread. Sorry, my confusion.

Sorry, I think I confused you post with the original guy who said he's washing his hands of iOS. Kind of like a parting shot or something.

I need to bone up on my reading comprehension skills. :p

This thread took a cynical turn...

On a similar note though I was recently listening to one of Butterscotch Shenanigans podcasts(devs of crashlands) and in the podcast they basically admit that crashlands would never have been a paid app on mobile if it wasn't releasing simultaneously with a PC version. They said paid apps aren't successful on mobile and that every mobile Dev should have another platform to fall back on.

Now I won't totally argue against their point, but at the same time I feel that it is disingenuous to still have these absolutes about mobile in 2015, it just feels a little unguided.

This thread took a cynical turn...

On a similar note though I was recently listening to one of Butterscotch Shenanigans podcasts(devs of crashlands) and in the podcast they basically admit that crashlands would never have been a paid app on mobile if it wasn't releasing simultaneously with a PC version. They said paid apps aren't successful on mobile and that every mobile Dev should have another platform to fall back on.

Now I won't totally argue against their point, but at the same time I feel that it is disingenuous to still have these absolutes about mobile in 2015, it just feels a little unguided.
I don't think it's disingenuous. The paid games that sell enough to be profitable and support their devs tend to be the exception. Consider how the Beggar's Ride already had a sale less than a week after releasing. You don't do that if your game is selling well

Games like Downwell and Prune and Monument Valley and games from Simogo and Inkle are the rare successes, I mean, there's a reason why many mobile devs make the jump to PC and consoles. Everspace, This War of Mine, Hand of Fate, Papers Please, and others were all from devs who started on mobile

awp69

I don't think it's disingenuous. The paid games that sell enough to be profitable and support their devs tend to be the exception. Consider how the Beggar's Ride already had a sale less than a week after releasing. You don't do that if your game is selling well

Games like Downwell and Prune and Monument Valley and games from Simogo and Inkle are the rare successes, I mean, there's a reason why many mobile devs make the jump to PC and consoles. Everspace, This War of Mine, Hand of Fate, Papers Please, and others were all from devs who started on mobile

Just to clarify. That Beggar's Ride sale was aa short-lived mistake. It was not meant to go on sale.

True but it's not an absolute, the good paid games tend to be successful.

Also, the moving to only PC thing seems kinda weird. I'm mainly a iOS/PC gamer and find that both complement my lifestyle. When I'm at home I play on my PC while when I'm away or out and about I'm getting some turns in on Galatic keep or a round of Downwell. I don't think either can replace the other, for me at least.

Matt Frost

Also, the moving to only PC thing seems kinda weird. I'm mainly a iOS/PC gamer and find that both complement my lifestyle. When I'm at home I play on my PC while when I'm away or out and about I'm getting some turns in on Galactic keep or a round of Downwell. I don't think either can replace the other, for me at least.

Yeah, to me, Land Sliders or Worm Run are totally compatible with Cryptark or FEZ. True. No need to completely abandon the platform forever.

Gaaraz

If you have the feature turned on (it's on by default) just have someone calling you via FaceTime....the iPad should ring (if volume is up).

Alternatively from your phone you can use the Find my Phone feature and ping the iPad from there (should emit an alarm).

EDIT: sorry just read....is find my phone doesn't show your iPad, means it's not registered so you can't use that, sorry.
Thank you! I'm really sorry I just realised I posted this into the wrong thread. I'm thinking I didn't install find my iPhone into the iPad (argh!) and don't think I know anyone with FaceTime, will continue the search now that I'm home from work, and once I've found it will install find my iPhone right away :)

(Edit) found it! Top tips, thank you.

Matt Frost

Has there been any word on the new Pang game coming out for iOS?

The Bug Butcher? Not yet, its still on development (Early Access) and still some time to go, and first it will hit Steam then iOS. But I believe it will play quite good on the touchscreen. Double dipping

FF_FB_Cover_Forest-Tokens.png

Forgotten Forest: Afterlife has been approved on the app store and can confirm that it will be available this Thursday the 29th!

Here's a couple more screenshots to celebrate plus an amazing banner one of our artists put together!

Matt Frost

Gaaraz

What are the best iOS (or Android) exclusive games right now? I want something with a bit if depth (i.e. an actual story) and maybe some strategy or RPG elements rather than puzzle.

I know there are loads of amazing games on iOS (i.e. the Telltale series, Limbo, Bastion, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest etc) but I think I'd rather play those on a console.

What are the best iOS (or Android) exclusive games right now? I want something with a bit if depth (i.e. an actual story) and maybe some strategy or RPG elements rather than puzzle.

I know there are loads of amazing games on iOS (i.e. the Telltale series, Limbo, Bastion, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest etc) but I think I'd rather play those on a console.
Downwell, Rebuild 3, Galactic Keep, Sorcery series, 80 Days, Wayward Souls

Gaaraz

Thank you! Was Rebuild 2 ever released on iOS? I really liked the first, so excited to see they've released the third game now too. That's exactly the sort of thing I'm after. Will take a look at the others now too.

Thank you! Was Rebuild 2 ever released on iOS? I really liked the first, so excited to see they've released the third game now too. That's exactly the sort of thing I'm after. Will take a look at the others now too.
Rebuild on IOS was actually an expanded version of 2

Gaaraz

Oh I see! Thank you. It's funny that when I was typing out my original post I was thinking of Rebuild :) So happy there's a new game to play!

awp69

I'm not quite seeing Fez, since that game has a lot to do with the use of perspectives, in Beneath the Lighthouse. But, yeah, definitely looks great and will be on my buy list this week.

I'm not quite seeing Fez, since that game has a lot to do with the use of perspectives, in Beneath the Lighthouse. But, yeah, definitely looks great and will be on my buy list this week.
The similarities lie in the color scheme and aesthetic rather than the gameplay mechanics

And I believe it will be free with a $3.99 IAP, similar to Mediocre's structure for Smash Hit and Do Not Commute

awp69

The similarities lie in the color scheme and aesthetic rather than the gameplay mechanics

And I believe it will be free with a $3.99 IAP, similar to Mediocre's structure for Smash Hit and Do Not Commute

Cool. So that'll be a full game unlock then?

Cool. So that'll be a full game unlock then?
Not exactly.
The game will be free to download, with a $3.99 in-app purchase to remove ads and the game's heart system. You start each level with 3 hearts, with each level generally containing 3 rooms, with a checkpoint at the start of each room. If you run out of hearts, you have to start the level over. But if you buy out of the hearts, you can play until you complete the level, though good luck getting the gold trophy for fast time, of course.

Haden

Banned
First subterfuge game is coming to an end with player named Ray the Remarkable coming from nowhere to win.

Really enjoyed this game had at least four different leaders, I am going away for the rest of the week but will start a new game on Saturday.

Sign up if you want to partake in a new game and I will try and get everyone in this time.

awp69

Dead Effect 2, which also comes out this week is looking really good. It'll be F2P, but no energy timers. That said I don't know how the IAP system will work but it was pretty fair in the last game (I bought the game before it switched to F2P but the IAPs were pretty transparent even after the conversion.)

I'll definately be checking it out....possibly on my Shield Tablet as it sounds like it may be getting some added effects.

http://www.deadeffect2.com/

sheaaaa

A word of warning - if you have a PC and a controller, Downwell is much better with the precision you get with a controller, and also with the extra screen space you have when the virtual buttons don't take up a chunk of the screen, seeing as how you're falling down and the more you can see at the bottom of the screen, the better. It's still a decent game on touch but really shines with a controller on Steam

On the other hand, 80 Days is also on Steam but is absolutely fantastic with touch and fits iOS really well (not played the PC version so can't compare in this case). I'd go with that if it tickles your fancy, and you're interested in the best versions of these games.

I did not like Galactic Keep myself. Felt after a short while that leveling was too slow and my character wasn't progressing. It felt like there was nothing I could really do to get stronger.

awp69

Close to finishing The Beggar's Ride and highly recommend it. It's got some really nice twists on the puzzle platformer with changing mechanics and "powers" and is just a joy to play. The puzzles aren't excruciatingly difficult, but take a bit of thinking until it clicks when that "why didn't I see it that way" light bulb comes on. (That light bulb hasn't come on yet for the puzzle I'm on which is why I'm "close" to finishing. LOL.)

The game deserves some love.

killercow

A word of warning - if you have a PC and a controller, Downwell is much better with the precision you get with a controller, and also with the extra screen space you have when the virtual buttons don't take up a chunk of the screen, seeing as how you're falling down and the more you can see at the bottom of the screen, the better. It's still a decent game on touch but really shines with a controller on Steam

Just FYI, Downwell can be played with a controller on iOS too.

awp69

Looks like we've got some incoming Halloween sales. Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon, Til Morning's Light and Lost Within are all on sale for (edit: I could swear AppZapp had those last two for $1.99, but the sale is for $2.99; Spider is still $1.99).

If it's a coordinated Apple Halloween sale, I'd expect more will be added.

RustyO

On the subject of SpaceChem...

- Pissed that it was removed off the app store?
- Got a steam account?
- Regular contributer to these threads? (i.e not a lurker)

I've got a couple of spare SpaceChems licences sitting in my Steam inventory...

Ping me message, and you know, stuff things.

Gifting me some game would be greatly appreciated in return.

awp69

Top Bottom