• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2015 | Just when you thought your TV was safe from mobile games

Gaaraz

A word of warning - if you have a PC and a controller, Downwell is much better with the precision you get with a controller, and also with the extra screen space you have when the virtual buttons don't take up a chunk of the screen, seeing as how you're falling down and the more you can see at the bottom of the screen, the better. It's still a decent game on touch but really shines with a controller on Steam

On the other hand, 80 Days is also on Steam but is absolutely fantastic with touch and fits iOS really well (not played the PC version so can't compare in this case). I'd go with that if it tickles your fancy, and you're interested in the best versions of these games.

I did not like Galactic Keep myself. Felt after a short while that leveling was too slow and my character wasn't progressing. It felt like there was nothing I could really do to get stronger.
Thanks, good advice - I'll hold out on Downwell for the Steam version (hopefully it's available in a bundle sometime) but I'll definitely get 80 Days on mobile :)

Battle Supremacy seems like a better choice if you have a newer device and a controller. On a Mini 2, graphics don't look as good as the trailer/screenshots, plus there are some framerate issues. The controls for the tank and drone forms feel too loose IMO. The jet controls are pretty good though

On the flip side, the maps are impressively large and seamlessly switching vehicle forms is very cool

awp69

Battle Supremacy seems like a better choice if you have a newer device and a controller. On a Mini 2, graphics don't look as good as the trailer/screenshots, plus there are some framerate issues. The controls for the tank and drone forms feel too loose IMO. The jet controls are pretty good though

On the flip side, the maps are impressively large and seamlessly switching vehicle forms is very cool

Already bought it but haven't played it yet. I just can't resist these type of games and haven't been disappointed by Atypical yet.

killercow

Yeah, Atypical games are often best played on the latest devices. And with a good MFi controller! I've also seen that it supports the latest Apple Tv so it could also be glorious via HDMI.

Does anyone know why Autumn Dynasty isn't available any more? :/
Still on the store for me (US)

efzW85H.jpg

awp69

It's strange but I kind of had the opposite reaction to the controls. The tanks and drones control pretty well. I like that the "tanks" are a little speedier than those in the first Battle Supremacy (which, of course, tanks are supposed to be slow so that's just me enjoying the faster movement).

I don't really like the flight controls for the jets. May just take some getting used to, but I prefer movement on the left side. Kinda wish they had the option to flip the controls. Am actually favoring accelemeter for now. Really wish there were just more control options period. It seems like Atypical streamlines the control options with each new release. Their older games actually had more options.

That said, I'm liking it from what I've played. Seems to have a lot of content, although I don't know how varied the missions will turn out to be.

There are some framerate dips -- most noticeable when there are close explosions. But it isn't enough to ruin the experience for me at least. Graphics I would say are on par with the first Battle Supremacy on a Mini 2.

Trigonarium, Tiny TrackZ and SlotZ Racer 2 will be available at launch for apple tv, universal apps.
Fantastic news for Trigonarium. It really deserves more exposure and attention

Although I'm surprised that got a launch slot rather than a game from a more known dev like Radiangames

PittaGAF

Played first 30 minutes of Agent A and I must say its pretty great.
A nice The Room vibe in a colorful and really nice 70 spy story dress.

awp69

Really can't understand why Atypical changed the flight controls. I know they're futuristic jets but all of their previous releases had great flight controls. Why mess with them now?

Hopefully they add more options in an update.

colinp

Banned
Picked up Forgotten Forest. It's quite fun! Still early but enjoying myself. Took me a few rounds to understand the logic, but quite satisfying when it clicked.

Looks like we've got some incoming Halloween sales. Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon, Til Morning's Light and Lost Within are all on sale for (edit: I could swear AppZapp had those last two for $1.99, but the sale is for $2.99; Spider is still $1.99).

If it's a coordinated Apple Halloween sale, I'd expect more will be added.

So how are those Amazon games? Are they good?

awp69

Starting to get used to the controls for BS: Evolution, even if I don't understand why they changed them. And for whatever reason, the game's framerate has improved the more I play it with barely any noticible dips.

Really growing on me and also like that, especially ground battles, are faster and more hectic.

It could use some tweaks but still think it's another winner from Atypical Games.

awp69

Heads up: Bug Princess (Mushihimesama) is free on iOS today only, as a result of a Twitter campaign. The game releases on Steam next week.

Excellent game. One of Cave's finest shmups (well, there really are no bad Cave games IMO). Definitely pick it up if you are a fan of the genre.

Also, I don't think Cave has ever had any of its games for free so grab it if you don't have it.

Matt Frost

Picked up Forgotten Forest. It's quite fun! Still early but enjoying myself. Took me a few rounds to understand the logic, but quite satisfying when it clicked.

I really like the Darkin linking mechanic, my favorite in match-3 games, and if it's fresh on gameplay I might grab it tonight then. Match-3 belongs to mobile.

awp69

Anyone happen to know of if AG Drive has some sort of cloud saves? I want to check out Dead Effect 2 but it's like 2 GB installed so going through the painful deletion process.

I haven't been playing AG Drive much lately but would hate to lose my progress if Tier 3 events are still coming.

God, I hate having just 16 GB.

And I know it doesn't have "official" iCloud support, but some games have their own system (and I hope this one does :)).

Edit: Nevermind, I came up with an alternate plan.

awp69

So the App Store appears to be hosed at the moment.

I also have been noticing that apps now seem to display their installed size and not the download size on the store now, which is awesome and something I always wished they had over the usually deceptive download size.

So the App Store appears to be hosed at the moment.

I also have been noticing that apps now seem to display their installed size and not the download size on the store now, which is awesome and something I always wished they had over the usually deceptive download size.
Yeah, bought Agent A but haven't been able to download it

awp69

App Store downloads seem to be up and running again.

Also, if anyone is up for another unique match three, Muertitos is currently free.

Bizarrely, adult swim's Zombocalypse started out at $1.99 earlier today. Read some complaints that it seemed awfully F2Pish and now it's free. Wonder if it was supposed to be free to begin with.

Good news everybody!

For those of you curious about Forgotten Forest: Afterlife, we'll have a formal press release and launch trailer available later today, so keep an eye out for that (I'll of course share it here myself).

For those of you that have already purchased it, thank you and I hope you're enjoying it!

Shaneus

Good news everybody!

For those of you curious about Forgotten Forest: Afterlife, we'll have a formal press release and launch trailer available later today, so keep an eye out for that (I'll of course share it here myself).

For those of you that have already purchased it, thank you and I hope you're enjoying it!
Absolutely loving it! Glad to see such an interesting mechanic applied to the match-3 base.

One suggestion though, it seems very finicky when connecting matching tiles together. Something a little less exact would be much better, like Dungeon Raid if you've played it.

RustyO

On the subject of SpaceChem...

- Pissed that it was removed off the app store?
- Got a steam account?
- Regular contributer to these threads? (i.e not a lurker)

I've got a couple of spare SpaceChem licences sitting in my Steam inventory...

Ping me message, and you know, stuff things. (Gifting me some game would be greatly appreciated in return, but, shrugs)

awp69

Dead Effect 2 is stunning. Easily one of the best looking games on iOS with great gameplay and an FPS/RPG mix with lots of loot. Definitely will have no problem giving some cash to IAPs to these devs.

awp69

Well now we know that's not happening

Yeah...

Probably not what people were hoping for as Nintendo's first revealed mobile title

Yep. That's depressing. A mobile version of Miis. I mean WTF?

Aside from gamers, does Nintendo think this is going to light their investors on fire?

---

On another note, isn't Beneath the Lighthouse supposed to come out this week?

Also, Lumino City is out.

Regarding Nintendo mobile, from WSJ
Other smartphone games will be pay-to-download, he says

----

Yep. That's depressing. A mobile version of Miis. I mean WTF?

Aside from gamers, does Nintendo think this is going to light their investors on fire?

---

On another note, isn't Beneath the Lighthouse supposed to come out this week?

Also, Lumino City is out.
Lighthouse is out now'

App Store is still messing up for me

Also,a port of excellent PC puzzle platformer In Between is coming to mobile tonight as well. Played the demo a while back and loved the visual aesthetic.

In Between
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/in-between-mobile/id1030302307?mt=8

Beneath The Lighthouse
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beneath-the-lighthouse/id1024522751?mt=8

Lumino City
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lumino-city/id958604518?mt=8

Top Bottom