• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread June 2013: Why is it sunny outside? I can't see my screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFD

Replying to other thread

iPad 4

I've had three crashes come in at the very end of quests. When that happens, it crashes after trying to go back to the world map, so it doesn't save. When you load the game up you're sent back to your final turn in the dungeon, so whatever loot you got for the win before the crash is re-randomized. Needless to say, if you've been awarded good loot and then you crash and end up with shit instead, it ain't fun.

It's been very stable for me. Has yet to crash on my iPad 4 *crosses fingers*

I'm really enjoying the game so far, but I don't understand why they chose to make the content area in the journal so tiny. I don't see myself reading the entire journal if I have to constantly scroll through text in a tiny window.

Here's a screenshot

originalrhrth.jpg

They could have used the entire iPad screen, but they chose to waste all that space around the journal

Why???

heringer

Weird.
I'm on iPad 3 (which renders chars at 75% res, btw :((( ) and never had a single crash.

Foud two achievement bugs tough (weird...they were fine in the beta...I reported the bugs already and already got an answer).

Just for reference, Warhammer Quest is NOT an RPG like, lets say, Baldur's Gate, Ultima 7 , Avadon or Torment.
It doesn't even want to be.
It's a TBS random dungeon crawler with a campaign and lot of loot.
White dungeons are like daily contracts in Hunters (just with more flavor).
You will find some more variations (or at least some choices and cooler stories) following the campaign in the late dungeons up to the black ones.
These are more elaborated in late expansion dungeons too.
White dungeons are always the same, gameplay wise, even if past level 4 you start to get junctions and more (bad) events.

Oh, I wasn't expecting anything as robust as Baldur's Gate. But I wish it was more fleshed out in the way of skills, different enemies, strategies, more open dungeons, etc. I mean, there's very little enemy types and their strategies are always the same. They hardly use skills or different tactics. Your approach is always the same and you don't have to think very hard. I don't know, the combat just feels very vanilla for a game that is all about combat. There's one red dungeon left for me, but the whole game felt very samey, and the red dungeons are practically identical to the white ones, only rewards and difficulty are different.

The core is still fun though, if only because collecting loot is always addictive and the game looks really good, killing enemies is satisfying.

And the Mage is back to normal! Don't know what happened, I guess it was a curse, but know it's gone (it wasn't one of those temporary states since it lasted for way more than one dungeon).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
How is Baldur's Gate? Finished the entire series way back on the PC and I'm a huge fan.

paging Jedeye Sniv

Is rilly gud :D

I loved it, played it solid for about two weeks and loved every second. It's super hard compared to modern RPGs, especially the first few levels as you're learning the mechanics. But once you get into the swing of it it's incredibly addictive and has aged very well I think. Can't wait for BG2 :)

PittaGAF

Oh, I wasn't expecting anything as robust as Baldur's Gate. But I wish it was more fleshed out in the way of skills, different enemies, strategies, more open dungeons, etc. I mean, there's very little enemy types and their strategies are always the same. They hardly use skills or different tactics. Your approach is always the same and you don't have to think very hard. I don't know, the combat just feels very vanilla for a game that is all about combat. There's one red dungeon left for me, but the whole game felt very samey, and the red dungeons are practically identical to the white ones, only rewards and difficulty are different.

Monsters use always brute force, the only enemies that have particular active skills are the magic casters.
That said, in these kind of games difficulty is critical.
I have no clue why in the world they lowered difficulty, but the game (and the boardgame) gives its very best when you are in critical situations.
It is a night and day difference.
Do try the black dungeon and hardcore.
When you are ambushed 3 times in a row by Warchiefs and Trolls after having choosen the wrong direction, and to survive you have to use every possible movement and attack (paying attention not to block yourself given the tiny space), not to mention every item it's really addicting (to me at least!!!).

Weird.
I'm on iPad 3 (which renders chars at 75% res, btw :((( ) and never had a single crash.

We should be grateful, the new World War Z game doesn't even support iPad 3 (yet it supports the 2 and 4). I think we might be on the start of a slippery slope for our model.

Folstern

Warhammer Quest is great, but the text is obscenely small on my iPhone 4S and I've had it crash 3 or 4 times already in the past few days. Freezing on loading screens or just black screens. In one instance I couldn't move or use the actions of my characters.

RustyO

Recently downloaded Tetris Blitz; and it's ok in a quick spin kind of way. But my word, is it loaded to the hilt with ads and IAP...

Any really good Tetris (or Dr Mario) clones out there? Or is the official EA Tetris the one to get?

SuluDance

Banned
We should be grateful, the new World War Z game doesn't even support iPad 3 (yet it supports the 2 and 4). I think we might be on the start of a slippery slope for our model.

Holy shit are you serious? I've been wondering that. My daughter has the app The Monster At The End of This Book 2 on her iPad, and it stopped working on my iPad 3, but it works on our original iPad! Apple really fucked us over didn't they?

PFD

Holy shit are you serious? I've been wondering that. My daughter has the app The Monster At The End of This Book 2 on her iPad, and it stopped working on my iPad 3, but it works on our original iPad! Apple really fucked us over didn't they?

There must be something else going on here. The ipad 3 is a little underpowered (relative to screen res), but nowhere near ipad 1 levels.

Whooter

I'm really enjoying the game so far, but I don't understand why they chose to make the content area in the journal so tiny. I don't see myself reading the entire journal if I have to constantly scroll through text in a tiny window.

Here's a screenshot

They could have used the entire iPad screen, but they chose to waste all that space around the journal

Why???

Maybe to accommodate the smaller screen sizes on the iPad Mini/iPhone/iPod Touch? I would guess (I don't have the game to test) that the "wasted space" is smaller on those devices so that the text in the book doesn't become microscopic.

PFD

Maybe to accommodate the smaller screen sizes on the iPad Mini/iPhone/iPod Touch? I would guess (I don't have the game to test) that the "wasted space" is smaller on those devices so that the text in the book doesn't become microscopic.

But isn't that the point of having a universal app? To tailor the UI to the device instead of blowing it up at 2x? Not that this is a big issue, just a small complaint really. The game is really superb.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm encountering a very annoying bug in WHQ ad nauseum which I had only ever experienced once or twice in the beta, which I reported.

Directly after a creature encounter notice, the screen fades as if there's another creature encounter (without the actual list of creatures) and then nothing happens. Force-quit being the only solution.

If fucking pisses me off.

RustyO

I'm encountering a very annoying bug in WHQ ad nauseum which I had only ever experienced once or twice in the beta, which I reported.

Directly after a creature encounter notice, the screen fades as if there's another creature encounter (without the actual list of creatures) and then nothing happens. Force-quit being the only solution.

I've had that exact same scenario as oyu've described; get the ambush (?) screen with a list of the attacking creatures. Then fades outs, then reshows the same screen but no creatures and just stays there.

Svafnir

I am looking for some new games to play. Something like cart life (pc game) would be cool, basically just looking for a cool simulation game that will keep me busy.

PaulLFC

I see Warhammer Quest has in app purchases and some of those are for gold. Can the game be completed properly with just the initial game purchase fee? By that I mean no "wait X minutes / hours to do this or buy some gold".

I'm also a bit surprised that going by the OP Frozen Synapse isn't retina - is there a reason for that? It seems strange, retina devices have been around long enough now surely?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I see Warhammer Quest has in app purchases and some of those are for gold. Can the game be completed properly with just the initial game purchase fee? By that I mean no "wait X minutes / hours to do this or buy some gold".

I'm also a bit surprised that going by the OP Frozen Synapse isn't retina - is there a reason for that? It seems strange, retina devices have been around long enough now surely?

WHQ: The Gold IAPs can be completely ignored, they're not needed whatsoever. Next to those are IAPs for actual extra content (also optional) -- they're 3 new character classes and a lengthy extra story campaign.

Frozen Synapse: Probably for performance reasons.

wondermega

wow. I haven't looked in a gaf iOS thread since maybe... November? I barely pay attention to the scene at all anymore either, I feel like Rip Van Winkle when I look at any mobile gaming coverage anymore..

anyway I used to habitually play drop7 for a good couple hours/day until I lost my phone last autumn. Since getting a new device I haven't reinstalled it (thank goodness) but this means I really don't play much on my phone. I have a brief commute on the subway every day and I just play textropolis & fishtropolis (implode! was keeping me for awhile as well) but now those are getting pretty tired. I need a new fix! send me some ideas off of the beaten path..

also I have been working feverishly on a new mobile game development with a couple of other gaffers since late last year, putting together some demo material for E3, perhaps I'll post some pics later this week in this thread if there's any interest. The game looks great and it's super-fun - I like to describe it as kind of a mashup of "Moon Patrol meets Super Meat Boy..."

heringer

Happened with me once.

AEREC

Ya it kinda feels like the iPad 3 is the one apple doesnt care about. Ever since iOS 6...performance has gone in the crapper. Even the AppStore stutters on the iPad 3 and typing in browsers is often times a laggy experience.

Ya it kinda feels like the iPad 3 is the one apple doesnt care about. Ever since iOS 6...performance has gone in the crapper. Even the AppStore stutters on the iPad 3 and typing in browsers is often times a laggy experience.

Yeah, I definitely experience the browser lag a lot.

I'm probably going to get a 5, hopefully that'll last quite awhile. Think I might spring for the 128GB model too, it seems like more games are going to be a few gigs (XCOM will probably be pretty huge, right?) and I have a few magazine and newspaper subscriptions that I'd like to be able to carry more back-issues for. 16GB has been a squeeze.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™

That's odd. I've never had an issue with performance on my ipad 3. Maybe I'm just lucky?

PaulLFC

WHQ: The Gold IAPs can be completely ignored, they're not needed whatsoever. Next to those are IAPs for actual extra content (also optional) -- they're 3 new character classes and a lengthy extra story campaign.

Frozen Synapse: Probably for performance reasons.
Thanks. Time to pick up Warhammer.

PFD

wow. I haven't looked in a gaf iOS thread since maybe... November? I barely pay attention to the scene at all anymore either, I feel like Rip Van Winkle when I look at any mobile gaming coverage anymore..

anyway I used to habitually play drop7 for a good couple hours/day until I lost my phone last autumn. Since getting a new device I haven't reinstalled it (thank goodness) but this means I really don't play much on my phone. I have a brief commute on the subway every day and I just play textropolis & fishtropolis (implode! was keeping me for awhile as well) but now those are getting pretty tired. I need a new fix! send me some ideas off of the beaten path..

also I have been working feverishly on a new mobile game development with a couple of other gaffers since late last year, putting together some demo material for E3, perhaps I'll post some pics later this week in this thread if there's any interest. The game looks great and it's super-fun - I like to describe it as kind of a mashup of "Moon Patrol meets Super Meat Boy..."

Get 10000000, it's perfect for commutes!

Silvawuff

I am looking for some new games to play. Something like cart life (pc game) would be cool, basically just looking for a cool simulation game that will keep me busy.

Have you looked at any of the Kairosoft games? Game Dev Story seems to be the most popular/talked about, but I would go for any of their games that you find the most interesting.

igor

ios.jpg

from ign infographic on the current gen gaming, made me lol.

Seriously, are "true" gamers just a bunch of 13 year olds or just fresh gaming converts who want to make their time wasting hobby more elitarian than it should be?? It's amusing, because I think current gen gaming was largely underwhelming - but that's my opinion.

The best current gen experiences were delivered to me on...Wii, and I think they were largely more hardcore than the likes of Call of Duty, or Uncharted. My favourite games on PS3 were WipEout and Bayonetta (and I liked Deus Ex and new Tomb Raider is absolutely stellar BTW) because how "gamey" they were.

I used to hate on iOS gaming but that's mostly due to IAP models and because I am afraid expansion of iOS will have a negative impact (already has) on dedicated handheld gaming. As if Xbox hasn't damaged gaming with achievement whoring and ridiculous DLC and releasing games that constantly need patching. "True gaming", bitch please.

I think iOS gaming is an absolutely valid platform and it comes from someone who is very picky on video games. It's become home to fun arcade games and more ambitious indie games and there are examples of more fully fledged games. Those quick fix games are just as valid as scoring them head shots in CoD. I do hate IAP however and the games that abuse this a lot are very annoying, but I think people are getting sick of them and hopefully a more premium model will catch on.

I don't know why it's being treated as some inferior platform: We've got Bastion, it's capable of playing GTA, as well as other ports like Crazy Taxi, Liberation Maiden or The World Ends With You or Final Fantasy Tactics - these games are more hardcore than your typical "hardcore" blockbusters. Jeez.

Okay I just ranted about the general ignorance :O

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Disregarding the 'in the last year' part a bit, but some that I know of but can't personally vouch for:

Capsized +
Help Volty
Drawn: Trail of Shadows
Hacienda HD
Magic 2013
Battle Academy
Titan HD

Some I personally liked:

Cook, Serve, Delicious!
Machinarium
Puerto Rico HD

I'd say on the whole developers are good at being Universal or at least making a separate iPhone version of their app.

Thanks! Titan HD was on my radar through boardgaming anyway, but do I see this right - it only has local multiplayer? that sucks, if so... Magic I already own on PC, not feeling like double-dipping so shortly before Magic 2014 comes out. Will take a look at the others, thanks!

octobot

Thanks! Titan HD was on my radar through boardgaming anyway, but do I see this right - it only has local multiplayer? that sucks, if so... Magic I already own on PC, not feeling like double-dipping so shortly before Magic 2014 comes out. Will take a look at the others, thanks!

They patched online multiplayer into Titan. It can be a bit lengthy to play online but it is possible

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Here's a screenshot

Why???

This and the whole portrait debacle are absolutely mental, how can you fuck up so hard?! I mean, who in their right mind would make that a deliberate choice?? I'd love to ask the devs what were they thinking. Don't wanna sound too hard, but it's really baffling and failing so hard at design 101 while still delivering a quality and polished product make it even more puzzling to me, like the game was done by two completely separate teams or whatever. I'm enjoying the game but I'm considering shelving it till they don't fix those two major gripes and straighten the crash bugs.

PittaGAF

For what is worth, I read as many people actually praising the 'rotate for inventory' thing (NOT me for sure, though I do not mind anymore).
Rodeo said it's looking at the thing and maybe have a normal inventory.

Anyway, midway in the Skaven campaigns, the 'old' brutal difficulty raises it's ugly head sometimes and boys, it's FREAKING AWESOME.

Normal quest, looking for a fabulous enchanted blade.
First room, TWO of my characters get BROKEN RIBS (practically -6/-10 modifier in everything, movement included).
Managed to progress due to my high level (5)....party was separated 3 rooms minimum, took a wrong turn junction, got ambushed several times.
In the end everyone was dead but my mighty Marauder (named Crom) that with his last wound killed a 120 wounds giant spider.
I depleted almost all the stash.

ABSOLUTELY EPIC.

Can't wait to finally start the real game (hardcore) properly.

Synless

I know, being a iPad 3 owner sucks. I can't wait for the next to come out.

PFD

How do you travel to other lands beyond Stirland in WQ? I finished the 9 red quests, and my only option is going west to the expansion lands. But I wanted to finish the original content first.

I know, being a iPad 3 owner sucks. I can't wait for the next to come out.

iPad mini 2 will be replacing my 3rd gen iPad for sure, I would buy an ipad 5 but after a year and a half i've come to realize I don't need a 10 inch tablet when I only watch twitch on it 90% of the time, my iphone 5 is my gaming device now that I have one.

PittaGAF

How do you travel to other lands beyond Stirland in WQ? I finished the 9 red quests, and my only option is going west to the expansion lands. But I wanted to finish the original content first.

If you completed all the 9 red quests, you just miss the black dungeon that should have appeared in the North.
You can go to the Reikland via normal map (cross the river in the west) or via fast travel.
guessing you are about level 4-5 already, I suggest you start the expansion from the south region which has lower level requirements and will be easy, leaving the north part as the last (you can do as you want but if you leave those for the end it will be too much easy, easier than already is).

By the way, I noticed that south of Stirland you can see already part of the map, with cities already in place with dungeons markers...so I guess it will be the next expansion (should probably raise the cap to 10, can't frigging wait).
Also there is one of the very first published screenshots is never present in the actual game :)

okno

Chiming in on the Warhammer love. Great game, fantastic polish, can't wait to get home from work to play more.

However, it has crashed A LOT on my mini. It happens mostly when I'm going into a new room, where, like others have said, it'll fade to black, show the mobs attacking, fade to black and stay there. Pretty annoying, took me a while to finish the tutorial just because of this. It has also crashed on a handful of occasions when booting up. Hopefully a patch gets released soon, because if this happens much more I'm going to stop playing it all together until its fixed.

That said, I don't mind the inventory much. Sure, it's a really bizarre design choice, but it's far from game breaking and I find it quite silly when I hear people say they refuse to play it until they give them a normal inventory. Perhaps it's because I'm playing on a mini and not a regular iPad, I'm not sure. It's a simple movement, and I do actually kind of like having to just turn my mini versus pressing a button. The lag is minimal, so you're back in action extremely fast. I would welcome a normal inventory screen, however, absolutely.

Synless

iPad mini 2 will be replacing my 3rd gen iPad for sure, I would buy an ipad 5 but after a year and a half i've come to realize I don't need a 10 inch tablet when I only watch twitch on it 90% of the time, my iphone 5 is my gaming device now that I have one.
I feel like the mini is the best platform to game on. I haven't had a chance to play one yet, but the size looks just right. My iPad 3 is too big for most games and my iPhone is too small. I may go mini if the specs are right.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Cleared Kingdom Rush Frontiers. Review Thursday. But does anyone even really need a review?

- It's just as awesome as the original.
- It's also very similar to the original.
- The IAP heroes are not worth it.

RustyO

Cleared Kingdom Rush Frontiers.

Already? How long did it take you?

Kingdom Rush took me quite a while; but I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Admittedly, most of the harder levels were the first ones when you only have crap towers and balance/placement is critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom