• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread June 2013: Why is it sunny outside? I can't see my screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shancake

Haven't really been paying much attention to IOS in the past 6-7 months. Could someone tell me what games I should absolutely play?

colinp

Banned
Cleared Kingdom Rush Frontiers. Review Thursday. But does anyone even really need a review?

- It's just as awesome as the original.
- It's also very similar to the original.
- The IAP heroes are not worth it.

Any idea on price Justin?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Haven't really been paying much attention to IOS in the past 6-7 months. Could someone tell me what games I should absolutely play?

We have a thread for every month, all linked in the OP, each with a list of the best games from that month. I've told you where it is, you do the legwork ;)

EDIT: Just want to say again that these are a FANTASTIC resource, thanks again Tunesmith.

ElyrionX

Cleared Kingdom Rush Frontiers. Review Thursday. But does anyone even really need a review?

- It's just as awesome as the original.
- It's also very similar to the original.
- The IAP heroes are not worth it.

How are the new towers compared to the ones they replaced?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
We have a thread for every month, all linked in the OP, each with a list of the best games from that month. I've told you where it is, you do the legwork ;)

EDIT: Just want to say again that these are a FANTASTIC resource, thanks again Tunesmith.
Thanks, much appreciated. Can't do it without all you guys though! :)

At the end of June we should do a half year in review/best of the best thing perhaps.

Minsc

Gold Member
Already? How long did it take you?

Kingdom Rush took me quite a while; but I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Admittedly, most of the harder levels were the first ones when you only have crap towers and balance/placement is critical.

Yeah, I'm curious if he means beat the main campaign levels when he says cleared, or if he means beat every level including the extra-hard bonus levels and all challenge modes as well, as that gets to be a bit more time consuming when you are spending hours on a single mode trying to get it perfect. :)

SmokyDave

Heard a familiar jingle from the missus' phone. Turns out she's discovered Power of Coin. That lead to me redownloading it, and now my life is ruined. I can quit any time, honest.

Mr E.

Downloaded Warhammer quest for my boy on Ipad retina. Damn thing crashes at the same spot each time. Just shuts down the app.
Hope it's sorted soon.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Downloaded Warhammer quest for my boy on Ipad retina. Damn thing crashes at the same spot each time. Just shuts down the app.
Hope it's sorted soon.
You may have tried this already but delete and reinstall the app, that fixed a few crashes for me.

OwlyKnees

How is Aquaria on the iPad?

Loved the game on PC and feel like replaying it on the iPad. I've heard some complaints about the combat controls - too fiddly? I know from past experience that combat is a minor part of the game, regardless. Just wondering if it runs/controls well.

heringer

How is Aquaria on the iPad?

Loved the game on PC and feel like replaying it on the iPad. I've heard some complaints about the combat controls - too fiddly? I know from past experience that combat is a minor part of the game, regardless. Just wondering if it runs/controls well.

Works well. Only problem is your hand blocking the screen sometimes, so it's a little annoying.

Manax

Oh my god GAF I have been playing War hammer quest for about 9 hours in total now and I just had my party wiped out (hardcore mode from the start)

Couldn't be bothered grinding anymore to play the last dungeon in the first campaign (it says level 6)

Anyway so I go in with all level 5 guys almost get wiped out on the first room but by some miracle survived the situation (ambushed halfway through)

So I get to the final boss room, things are going well got my iron breaker and marauder blocking the room exit hacking orcs into bloody messes as they charge foolishly at me while my wizard and archer provide support from the rear. All was going according to plan then..... Ambushed by
7 black orcs
they quickly surround my weaker characters at the rear tearing my party apart like they were in the middle of a meat grinder.

My lord the sinking feeling as my team was slaughtered one by one, they all respawned at the first town level 1 with beginning equipment, I was so foolish. However my team will live again.

tldr: just had my hardcore part wiped on WHQ so sad now

SteveWD40

I am loving WHQ, had the annoying ambush screen freeze up that's been mentioned a few times but no other crashes (iPad mini). Got all the heroes so grinding to get them all up to the same level and getting good gear right now.

Waywatcher gets reeeallly badass after a few levels, she can deathblow chain at mele and then pop a few ranged off as well, she also has a (risky) heal spell.

RustyO

Yeah, I'm curious if he means beat the main campaign levels when he says cleared, or if he means beat every level including the extra-hard bonus levels and all challenge modes as well, as that gets to be a bit more time consuming when you are spending hours on a single mode trying to get it perfect. :)

If I recall right from another thread you are a perfectionist as well; and if only one gets through, time for a restart?

biggest problem with uplink on ipad.

the stupid keyboard blocks your email, which makes searching names that are weird enough that you can't just remember, quite hard.

PittaGAF

Oh my god GAF I have been playing War hammer quest for about 9 hours in total now and I just had my party wiped out (hardcore mode from the start)

Couldn't be bothered grinding anymore to play the last dungeon in the first campaign (it says level 6)

Anyway so I go in with all level 5 guys almost get wiped out on the first room but by some miracle survived the situation (ambushed halfway through)

So I get to the final boss room, things are going well got my iron breaker and marauder blocking the room exit hacking orcs into bloody messes as they charge foolishly at me while my wizard and archer provide support from the rear. All was going according to plan then..... Ambushed by
7 black orcs
they quickly surround my weaker characters at the rear tearing my party apart like they were in the middle of a meat grinder.

My lord the sinking feeling as my team was slaughtered one by one, they all respawned at the first town level 1 with beginning equipment, I was so foolish. However my team will live again.

tldr: just had my hardcore part wiped on WHQ so sad now

I know that feeling...

Black dungeons are BRUTAL (and you haven't see the Skaven one!!!).
If it says level 6, consider it level 6 plus several epic object (I saw someone on TA found the HAMMER OF SIGMAR...you can do almost 100 wounds per turn!!!), plus the stash full of healing meanings (distant healing I may add...so better have scrolls than potions).

The irony?
As you were still level 5, you didn't even get the 'gutting' achievement (lose a level 6 char on hardcore).

But I really admire your courage.

I love this game.

deim0s

Waywatcher gets reeeallly badass after a few levels, she can deathblow chain at mele and then pop a few ranged off as well, she also has a (risky) heal spell.

Awesome indeed, position her right with 3 ranged and 2 melee (plus deathblows) can clear the room fast.

I think I should buy em all that orange rarity item (Lucky Acorn?) that increases hit chance.

Minsc

Gold Member
If I recall right from another thread you are a perfectionist as well; and if only one gets through, time for a restart?

Yeah, though with Kingdom Rush it lets you still get 3 stars if just one or two get through, so if it's later in the level I'll let it slip if that happens, but it's rare. Then of course there are the challenge modes where you only get one heart so you have no choice.

Also, things can quickly spiral out of control as they're often set up so that you're penalized twice for letting units go by, losing both life and the money you'd have gotten from destroying the units, making it harder to stop the next wave.

The mechanic that tends to give me the most trouble in tower defense games are the thief units, like in Crystal Defenders or Defender Chronicles when you have a weak unit that increases the gold return when it's in the vicinity of enemy kills, as then you have to start balancing having enough stopping power to kill the units vs having the thieves in range to increase your money high enough to be able to survive the later levels.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
How are the new towers compared to the ones they replaced?

The four towers are the same. All that's changed are their final, level-four upgrades. Some are very different, some are similar. Generally they're a lot more inventive and wild, though.

I cleared the campaign on normal. And I've had the game for a while so this isn't especially "fast." There are no bonus stages in the game right now. But I don't think KR1 had more than a couple at launch - the rest were added over time as free DLC.

Like the original there are three stars, then Heroic, then an Iron Challenge for each stage. You can also try Veteran difficulty but it isn't a separate progress track - just an achievement for clearing everything on Veteran.

ToxicAdam

Heard a familiar jingle from the missus' phone. Turns out she's discovered Power of Coin. That lead to me redownloading it, and now my life is ruined. I can quit any time, honest.

I wish I had programming skillz, I would love to make (or play) a better version of this game.

Minsc

Gold Member
I cleared the campaign on normal. And I've had the game for a while so this isn't especially "fast." There are no bonus stages in the game right now. But I don't think KR1 had more than a couple at launch - the rest were added over time as free DLC.

Like the original there are three stars, then Heroic, then an Iron Challenge for each stage. You can also try Veteran difficulty but it isn't a separate progress track - just an achievement for clearing everything on Veteran.

Yeah, you're right, they added the bonus levels over time as free DLC. Was hoping they'd have a couple to start with, but at least it's good to hear they have the other modes in for all the levels like before.

Veteran sounds new, that's up from hard I guess, probably pretty brutal.

Lots of overreacting to Plants vs. Zombies 2 being F2P in the dedicated thread.

Tbh though, I never really played the original on iOS. How did that version handle iAPs?

IAP for the coins used on Crazy Dave's shop (which they now moved obtaining the mini-games/extra modes to, you get a small taste for free then unlock the full packages from the shop), but you could avoid the coin IAPs entirely if you used the Zen Garden.

datamage

How bad are the graphical downgrades in Warhammer when playing on an iPad 3? I know there's been a few comments on it, but nothing too specific.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
How bad are the graphical downgrades in Warhammer when playing on an iPad 3? I know there's been a few comments on it, but nothing too specific.

It's actually pretty cool, they downrez it to an 8-bit NES style. Very snazy.

I don't know I'm sorry. Doubt it's too bad, maybe it just chugs a little? You tell US!

Lots of overreacting to Plants vs. Zombies 2 being F2P in the dedicated thread.

Tbh though, I never really played the original on iOS. How did that version handle iAPs?

PopCap's freemium stuff on iOS to date is among the most exploitative and game-ruining. I've got no hope for this at all.

You can almost guarantee that there'll be special power-ups to take into each level for a cost of currency, for starters, which will either make the game impossible if you don't use them, or too easy if you do. There's no way to create balance in gameplay when a developer's goal is in trying to encourage gamers to pay to win.

datamage

It's actually pretty cool, they downrez it to an 8-bit NES style. Very snazy.

I don't know I'm sorry. Doubt it's too bad, maybe it just chugs a little? You tell US!

I don't have an iPad 4 to reference it against. :p A few people mentioned that it looks worse, so I was curious to know what was sacrificed.

PittaGAF

It's identical but rendered at 75% res.
So it's awesome but if you see the game running on iPad 4 you will be blown away by the sharpness of the detail of the characters.
For example, you can discern seams and stiches on the Elf hood....plus many additional details, expecially magical weapons (you can see them on iPad 3 looking hard...but they aren't so apparent).

On the plus side, you do not get crashes :p (at least I never had one, I think they are probably memory related).

Also I got confirmed final version difficulty has been lowered.
They are debating, as per mine suggestion, about a 'insane' level (the previous difficulty level, not with perma-death).
The game tactical offerings only really shines when you are hammered by enemies.

I can also confirm that last 2 expansion dungeons and both black ones are still pretty challenging.

SteveWD40

So it's awesome but if you see the game running on iPad 4 you will be blown away by the sharpness of the detail of the characters.
For example, you can discern seams and stiches on the Elf hood....plus many additional details, expecially magical weapons (you can see them on iPad 3 looking hard...but they aren't so apparent).

On the plus side, you do not get crashes :p (at least I never had one, I think they are probably memory related).

Also I got confirmed final version difficulty has been lowered.
They are debating, as per mine suggestion, about a 'insane' level (the previous difficulty level, not with perma-death).
The game tactical offerings only really shines when you are hammered by enemies.

I can also confirm that last 2 expansion dungeons and both black ones are still pretty challenging.

Are the black dungeons repayable? or is it just white ones after you do all the campaigns? Also are they working on a crash fixes etc...? not good enough to just say "get an iPad 4" when it supports as low as 2.

datamage

Ah, so just the res. Thank you for the info. I've been playing on my iPhone, but will have to switch to the iPad. (I'm going to go blind if I continue on the phone. )

PittaGAF

Are the black dungeons repayable? or is it just white ones after you do all the campaigns? Also are they working on a crash fixes etc...? not good enough to just say "get an iPad 4" when it supports as low as 2.

Yes they are replayable.
I suppose they are working on crash fixes as top priority. (I know they are at work full time...no post launch holiday :) ).

Very glad to see the game so high in the charts (both iPhone and iPad) worldwide.
Looks good for future support and additional content.

PittaGAF

Ah, so just the res. Thank you for the info. I've been playing on my iPhone, but will have to switch to the iPad. (I'm going to go blind if I continue on the phone. )

I'm honest.
I think the game really shines on iPad so if you can choose I would have no doubts where to play.
It's cool on iPhone but really tiny, so I can see myself playing just white generic dungeons on it.
That said, I LOVE devs doing universal with iCloud sync releases, no matter what.

SteveWD40

Yes they are replayable.

OECWj7W.gif

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

The 2's fine though, I've only had one crash in about 6 hours.

Li Kao

Mmh, I just noticed in iTunes that the WHQ app is present in the little area where you can access you files (where ebook apps are). Wonder what it is for ? Obviously no mod support coming, so why ?

PittaGAF

Mmh, I just noticed in iTunes that the WHQ app is present in the little area where you can access you files (where ebook apps are). Wonder what it is for ? Obviously no mod support coming, so why ?

Are there any files inside???

PittaGAF

LOL.
I love your gifs.

They are replayable, but you could abuse it...you'll see what I mean when you complete them.
At least in the beta...I suggested you couldn't replay them but I do not know if they did it.
Now I'm glad if they didn't, because that's almost the only spot where I think difficulty is just perfect.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I really hope we're able to take warriors past level 6 with future updates. In the board game you could go all the way up to 10.

They could even get really crazy and introduce more monster races and bigger monsters like dragons and demons!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Loving Kotor on my iPad Mini so far. Still in Taris, and despite getting accustomed to the wonky movement here and there, the game plays wonderfully and the enhancements to the touch interface worked out fabulously.

FFV is also a solid port, actually am quite fine with the filtering and changed pixel art. I suppose more budget given would have been ideal, but I'm really enjoying playing it in prep for the Fiesta.

Will snag Warhammer later to try.

heringer

A few things that would make Warhammer a much better experience. Things that are simple to add in next expansions:

- Make the game harder. I think they did a disservice to their game by lowering the difficulty to a point where you don't need to think about tactics. In the harder dungeons you see the game has potential, but unfortunately 90% of the campaign is far too easy.

- Raise the level cap, add more active skills. With a tighter difficulty, exploring new skills and more tactical options would be a blast.

- More scripted events, more enemies, bigger dungeons with incentive for exploration.

Nothing too hard to add if you ask me. Game has potential but still feels a little vanilla. If they add a harder difficulty setting I might grab the expansion.

Li Kao

A few things that would make Warhammer a much better experience. Things that are simple to add in next expansions:

- Make the game harder. I think they did a disservice to their game by lowering the difficulty to a point where you don't need to think about tactics. In the harder dungeons you see the game has potential, but unfortunately 90% of the campaign is far too easy.

- Raise the level cap, add more active skills. With a tighter difficulty, exploring new skills and more tactical options would be a blast.

- More scripted events, more enemies, bigger dungeons with incentive for exploration.

Nothing too hard to add if you ask me. Game has potential but still feels a little vanilla. If they add a harder difficulty setting I might grab the expansion.

Let's not forget two elements that would greatly add to the experience imho.
- First the game is clearly Orc-centric and the expansion announce a Skaven-fest. While on paper there is nothing wrong with that, in reality the enemy diversity is a bit on the shit side and the game needs more diversity. And with that I'm wondering if the expansion mix old and new tilesets. It would be sad if you had the vanilla zone, the expansion 1 zone, the expansion 2 zone, tileset-wise.
- Traps and other little things like that. Others have said this sort of things is present in the board game and it could be a neat addition. Dungeon crawling is a little too much on auto pilot for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom