• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Finally got round to upgrading to 4.0.1 (from 3.1.2!) and jailbreaking via jailbreakme. I'd been putting it off for a while because my iTunes music library was on my computer back home, so needed to sort my music library out on this laptop (i'm really OCD about album artwork and tags and for some reason they got messed up when I copied my music off my iPhone on to my laptop?!).

iOS4 seems pretty nice so far. Does Proswitcher/Backgrounder combo work nicely with iOS4s native 'multitasking' or does it override it or something? Yet to reinstall Proswitcher anyway, might do that later. Got all my other jailbreak stuff back on as well (lockinfo <3).

Is there a way to make album art not show on the lock screen? No Album Artwork off the xsellize repo doesn't seem to be working for me on iOS4 whilst it worked before.

Mairu

Was getting frustrated at not being able to access the wifi on campus so I decided to JB. Can anyone tell me why I keep getting keyboard click sounds on cydia & rock app with them turned off in the settings?

ALSO, are there any free solutions for tethering or is mywi the only way?

I was told that Apple has found a way to ban jailbroken iPhones from the app store and even brick them completely soon and that this is on the way to being implemented... any truth to that? He scared me off of doing the jailbreakme thing mid-download.

Mairu

polyh3dron said:
I was told that Apple has found a way to ban jailbroken iPhones from the app store and even brick them completely soon and that this is on the way to being implemented... any truth to that? He scared me off of doing the jailbreakme thing mid-download.
Wouldn't this be illegal now with the recent court ruling that jailbreaking is ok?

ijm72

Mairu said:
Was getting frustrated at not being able to access the wifi on campus so I decided to JB. Can anyone tell me why I keep getting keyboard click sounds on cydia & rock app with them turned off in the settings?

ALSO, are there any free solutions for tethering or is mywi the only way?
You can try tetherme. Its only $2 but right now it only allows you to tether via usb or bluetooth. Supposedly there is supposed to be an update that will allow it to create a wireless network.

Mairu said:
Wouldn't this be illegal now with the recent court ruling that jailbreaking is ok?
Not necessarily, the may be within their legal means to lock phones out of the app store that have unauthorized software on them in order to "protect" their app store from corruption or something. They may not be able to prosecute people for jailbreaking but I don't think that means they have to go out of their way to allow it either.

dream

polyh3dron said:

I'm guessing he's talking about this:

http://mashable.com/2010/08/22/apple-jailbreaking-patent/

which is more of a patent on security features to prevent people from accessing YOUR phone than anything.

I think the answer is yes, but just to check; if Cydia has my blob...things on record, I can upgrade to 4.1 and always go back to 4.0.1 if I need to, right?

I kinda want this HDR photo thing for this weekend...

jts

...hate me...
The fuck?

Was just trying to downgrade from 4.1 GM to 4.0.1 as I clearly remember to have saved my SHSHs when I had 4.0.1 (the iPhone was obviously jailbroken, so it was on 4.0.1).

It is failing to pass verification with Apple and Umbrella tells me that the ECID that can be restored successfully is 4.0.2.

Should I downgrade to 4.0.2 first and then to 4.0.1? Or what?

jts said:
The fuck?

Was just trying to downgrade from 4.1 GM to 4.0.1 as I clearly remember to have saved my SHSHs when I had 4.0.1 (the iPhone was obviously jailbroken, so it was on 4.0.1).

It is failing to pass verification with Apple and Umbrella tells me that the ECID that can be restored successfully is 4.0.2.

Should I downgrade to 4.0.2 first and then to 4.0.1? Or what?
4.1 changes the baseband. might cause some issues?

and you can block Apple's verification server in your computers HOSTS file. that might completely solve your problem.

jts

...hate me...
Dreams-Visions said:
4.1 changes the baseband. might cause some issues?

and you can block Apple's verification server in your computers HOSTS file. that might completely solve your problem.
I've done that. I'm not sure if it's a baseband issue as TinyUmbrella clearly says that 4.0.2 is what I have saved... maybe I'm just crazy and somehow saved my SHSH blobs when I was on 4.0.2, don't know how...

God damn. Welp, back to 4.1 GM I go. At least I get to have HDR, right? :(

jts said:
I've done that. I'm not sure if it's a baseband issue as TinyUmbrella clearly says that 4.0.2 is what I have saved... maybe I'm just crazy and somehow saved my SHSH blobs when I was on 4.0.2, don't know how...

God damn. Welp, back to 4.1 GM I go. At least I get to have HDR, right? :(
damn, Idunno then. :-(

the hosts blocking worked for me. what was the line you put into your hosts file? I can compare it to the one I used on mine.

polyh3dron said:
My co worker is telling me a shitload of lies about jailbreaking then, WTF
there's a lot of misinformation out there.

ijm72

polyh3dron said:
My co worker is telling me a shitload of lies about jailbreaking then, WTF
Like Dreams-Vision said theres a lot of misinformation about jailbreaking. When you jailbreak your phone you keep all the functionality of the stock iPhone but also gain the ability to customize and add tons of different features that IMO make the phone much better. I for example couldn't live without SBSettings and biteSMS they just add so much to the phone. And if you ever run into any problems you can always restore the phone.

jts

...hate me...
Dreams-Visions said:
damn, Idunno then. :-(

the hosts blocking worked for me. what was the line you put into your hosts file? I can compare it to the one I used on mine.

there's a lot of misinformation out there.
74.somethingsomething gs.apple.com

The line that was on the redmondpie.com guide.

Well this just confirms it:

09/03/2010 06:46:19.422 Processing SHSH Request... 09/03/2010 06:46:19.462 Asking CYDIA for SHSH blobs for iPhone4 4.0.1 (8A306)... 09/03/2010 06:47:17.808 This device isn't eligible for the requested build.
09/03/2010 06:47:17.818 CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPhone4 4.0.1 (8A306) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE.

I had this phone jailbroken with 4.0.1, knew I had to save the blobs, and still somehow screwed it up...

Fingers crossed for 4.1 jailbreak.

And thank you for your helpfulness ;)

njean777

Dreams-Visions said:
no. the next jailbreak will release after the 4.1 release next week.

I'm guessing 3-5 days after 4.1 releases.

thank you so i should update to 4.1 then and wait?

2Crisis

njean777 said:
thank you so i should update to 4.1 then and wait?

If you're currently jailbroken, I would ONLY update if you really need one of the the new features or fixes (prox sensor, hdr photos, etc)

njean777

2Crisis said:
If you're currently jailbroken, I would ONLY update if you really need one of the the new features or fixes (prox sensor, hdr photos, etc)

well i just got my 3gs and updated to 4.0.2 before i read that you wont be able to jailbreak from that. So im currently not jailbroken :(

A couple other useful jailbreak apps from cydia:

QuickReply for SMS -

if you don't want a full SMS replacement like bitesms but still want to be able to reply to texts from anywhere including the lockscreen without having to open the SMS app then this app is perfect, does not change the look/feel of the phone
Want to say its $2 but I cant remember for sure

Remove background -

Adds a button to sbsettings that kills all running background processes, quick and easy way to free up memory and possibly save battery life, free in cydia

Ashhong

SuicideUZI said:
A couple other useful jailbreak apps from cydia:

QuickReply for SMS -

if you don't want a full SMS replacement like bitesms but still want to be able to reply to texts from anywhere including the lockscreen without having to open the SMS app then this app is perfect, does not change the look/feel of the phone
Want to say its $2 but I cant remember for sure

Remove background -

Adds a button to sbsettings that kills all running background processes, quick and easy way to free up memory and possibly save battery life, free in cydia

1. How is the memory usage of QuickReply? I'm using Bitesms and if I get a bunch of messages on the lock screen my phone will seriously lock up and become so slow.

2. Cant you already do this by hitting "processes" and "free up memory"?

I've read in a few places that updating your JB phone to a stock firmware causes you to lose ~500mb of space forever. Is this true?

polyh3dron said:
What we need in the OP is a verified list of drawbacks both immediate and potential of jailbreaking your iPhone.

There is none?

Ashhong

roosters93 said:
I've read in a few places that updating your JB phone to a stock firmware causes you to lose ~500mb of space forever. Is this true?

There is none?

It can happen if you update from a jailbreak period. Whenever I update to a new firmware, I always press restore. I remember this was a problem in the earlier stages of jailbreak, but I am not positive if it still is. I would just restore anyway though, you can still load the backup of your iphone.

artist

Banned
Thanks for the answers guys.

After jailbreaking it, can I roll it back to stock 3.x firmware? (like factory default)

Ashhong

irfan said:

After jailbreaking it, can I roll it back to stock 3.x firmware? (like factory default)

What phone and firmware? I don't think it matters, but yes you can.

Is there any bit of software for a jailbroken itouch that lets me transfer my music to another computer?

My computer broke and I didn't have any back ups so all my music is stuck on my ipod. I'm not in the mood for ripping cds and re-downloading my music. I was able to transfer songs off of my ipod, one song at a time but that's not really feasible when you have about 3,000 songs. I was wondering if there was a piece of software on cydia that would help me out.

rc213

snoopeasystreet said:
Is there any bit of software for a jailbroken itouch that lets me transfer my music to another computer?

My computer broke and I didn't have any back ups so all my music is stuck on my ipod. I'm not in the mood for ripping cds and re-downloading my music. I was able to transfer songs off of my ipod, one song at a time but that's not really feasible when you have about 3,000 songs. I was wondering if there was a piece of software on cydia that would help me out.

Not on Cydia but I used sharepod a while back and it worked fine.

http://www.getsharepod.com/

freshair

Ashhong said:
What phone and firmware? I don't think it matters, but yes you can.

Are you sure? AFAIK, you can only roll back if you have the previous firmware SHSH blobs on cydia or with tinyumbrella.

knitoe

irfan said:

Depends on which Iphone you have. Easy and pretty straight forward with 2G / 3G.

After the 3GS and newer devices, Apple put in a security check (SHSH hashes) so you couldn't reinstall firmware they no longer allowed. Currently, you can only officially reinstall 4.0.2, because they stop sending out SHSH hashes for the other firmware. Thus, for example, if you want to reinstall 3.1.3, you would need to have the 3.1.3 SHSH hashes saved, through Cydia or on your computer, when Apple was still sending them out. After having that data, you can fake ITunes into thinking by changing your host file (google) or running "TSS server" with Tinyumbrella. Itune will think Apple gave the OK to install that firmware.

And, the hashes are unique for every device and firmware so it's useless for other Iphone or firmware versions. I highly suggest people use Tinyumbrella to save current and future SHSH hashes.

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

SmoothCB

This is a pretty specific question but does anyone here have any experience with China Mobile and a USA jailbroken/ultrasnowed iphone 3G? I can text and make/receive calls no problem but even though I've got the "E" in edge showing, I can't access the cellular data network. I did some searching and found that I was supposed to use "cmnet" as my APN. However, this does not work. I went to the big China Mobile service center on Wangfujing and they told me since the phone was not bought in China, that it wouldn't work on the cellular data network. I called BS on them but they insisted. Any ideas for a work around?

edit: I'm using OS 3.1.3

knitoe

SmoothCB said:
This is a pretty specific question but does anyone here have any experience with China Mobile and a USA jailbroken/ultrasnowed iphone 3G? I can text and make/receive calls no problem but even though I've got the "E" in edge showing, I can't access the cellular data network. I did some searching and found that I was supposed to use "cmnet" as my APN. However, this does not work. I went to the big China Mobile service center on Wangfujing and they told me since the phone was not bought in China, that it wouldn't work on the cellular data network. I called BS on them but they insisted. Any ideas for a work around?

Have your tried using APN settings from website below through your iphone.

http://unlockit.co.nz/

numble

SmoothCB said:

It should work on China Mobile's Edge, but their 3G network is incompatible. Have you made sure your cell plan has included network access?

China Unicom's 3G should work for everything in any case.

Pachimari

Moving my problem from the iPhone 4 thread to this thread:

I have one and important problem, this time with WinSCP.
I got to change the password or else others can go into my files, I do this by pressing 'CTRL+P' but instead of being given the option to change log-in and password, a message pops up telling me this: "File 'C:\Program Files\PuTTY\putty.exe' not found". So an .exe file is missing - should I re-install WinSCP?

Edit: I am following this guide: http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/SSH_on_Windows. I'm at step 10, anyone knows how I can change my password? It's crucial.

ant1532

Banned
hey my iphone is jailbroken but its an older ios(3.?) i was wondering do i have to restore, update, then jailbrake? Or can i just upgrade to 4 and jailbrake?

knitoe

ant1532 said:
hey my iphone is jailbroken but its an older ios(3.?) i was wondering do i have to restore, update, then jailbrake? Or can i just upgrade to 4 and jailbrake?
Read my post above #136.

Ashhong

ant1532 said:

In addition to backing up your SHSH hashes, it's always a good idea to restore straight to the firmware you want and jailbreak. Updating your phone when already jailbroken can lead to you losing some memory space.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Used to be an avid jber with my 3G and 3GS phones but had held off on jbing my 4. A few days ago I did a jailbreak on my fresh 4.0.1 phone just because and even with just Cydia there was a really noticeable increase in latency when just opening and closing apps, such a shame on a iPhone 4. Dont understand how people can say there is no noticable decrease in speed.

Restored back to 4.0.1 and immediately the phone was as snappy as ever. Upgraded to 4.1 and the phone feels even faster, really quite jarring. This last bit might be placebo though.

The HDR functionality I quite nice too, will allow me to use one less app (HDR Pro) going forward. Don't think I'll be jumping on the jb bandwagon again anytime soon even if 4.1 is broken within days. :(

Pachimari

Anastacio said:
Moving my problem from the iPhone 4 thread to this thread:

I have one and important problem, this time with WinSCP.
I got to change the password or else others can go into my files, I do this by pressing 'CTRL+P' but instead of being given the option to change log-in and password, a message pops up telling me this: "File 'C:\Program Files\PuTTY\putty.exe' not found". So an .exe file is missing - should I re-install WinSCP?

Edit: I am following this guide: http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/SSH_on_Windows. I'm at step 10, anyone knows how I can change my password? It's crucial.
Does anyone know what I'll do here? =)
It's crucial so others in the area can't get access to all my informations on the phone.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Change the password this way:

http://www.cultofmac.com/how-to-change-your-iphones-default-ssh-password/20871

should still work

And I didn't even notice there was a jailbreak thread.
Just got this reply in the iPhone 4 thread.

So I have installed MobileTerminal on my iPhone 4 (jailbroken 4.0.1) but whenever I click on the app, it starts up and then instantly quits. What's up with that? =/

-Pyromaniac- said:
Finally got a lockscreen I'm satisfied with:

photore.png
Another thing is this, I got the same theme but have the 'Slide to Unlock' text written on top of it, how do I get rid of this?

freshair

Anastacio said:
Another thing is this, I got the same theme but have the 'Slide to Unlock' text written on top of it, how do I get rid of this?

Is that a theme you activate via winterboard?

if you, you need your SpringBoard.strings (bundles>com.apple.springboard>en.lproj) to have this:

Code:
"ALARM_LOCK_LABEL" = " ";

"AWAY_LOCK_LABEL" = " ";

"SLIDE_TO_ANSWER" = " ";

"SLIDE_TO_CALL_BACK" = " ";

"SLIDE_TO_CANCEL" = " ";

"SLIDE_TO_LISTEN" = " ";

"SMS_LOCK_LABEL" = " ";

"TIMER_LOCK_LABEL" = " ";

"REMOTE_NOTIFICATIONS_LOCK_LABEL" = " ";

"REMOTE_NOTIFICATIONS-LOCK-FORMAT" = " ";

"TIMER_LOCK_LABEL" = " ";

"CALENDAR_LOCK_LABEL" = " ";

Kirby102

Hey gaf, just wondering if there is a JB app that allows me to view any youtube vids via the youtube app. Since the current restriction is that certain vids is not iphone compatible.

Cheers :D

Top Bottom