• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Astrolad is Food Fight any good?

Also what's the different between Monopoly Here and Now Edition for iPad and Monopoly for iPad?
Haven't played enough of Food Fight to know for sure tbh. It seems like a light and mostly silly game with some pretty awesome art if you're a fan of the Garbage-Pail-Kids aesthetic (which I am). On BGG it's about a 6.5, which means decent but not particularly good. Looks quite nice on the iPad imo. Don't know anything about Monopoly though!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
RubXQub I thought I added you and yet you don't seem to be showing up on my Carc or Ascension lists. Feel free to inv me maybe that will get it to work right!

Oh no! Someone sent a Carc game to me and I accidentally hit refuse! It disappeared from my iPhone as well. Wish it would have asked to confirm. Curse my clumsy fingers.

Good job on the thread. I can see that google doc costing me lots of money, when I see a lot of people have a certain game I will probably buy it. It's gonna get expensive quick!

Card Boy

Banned
Good job on the thread. I can see that google doc costing me lots of money, when I see a lot of people have a certain game I will probably buy it. It's gonna get expensive quick!

Lucky for me I'm only a TCG fanboy, so i stay clear from stuff like Ticket to Ride.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Operation Eradicate (aka iOS version of the boardgame pandemic) is on sale! 1.99 instead of 3.99 :)

Also, you guys suck, getting the party started without me! I have a lot of the games, hit me up anytime, I need distractions from lecture anyway :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Operation Eradicate (aka iOS version of the boardgame pandemic) is on sale! 1.99 instead of 3.99 :)

Also, you guys suck, getting the party started without me! I have a lot of the games, hit me up anytime, I need distractions from lecture anyway :p

Is it literally the same as Pandemic? Do you know if there's any online play or achievements? Cheevos are making Forbidden Island quite fun for me.

Smiley90

Is it literally the same as Pandemic? Do you know if there's any online play or achievements? Cheevos are making Forbidden Island quite fun for me.

I'll buy it as soon as I'm home and then I'll let you know. ;) From what I've read about it in other places though it's A LOT like Pandemic, as in, as close as you can get without having the official name on it. I'll definitely let you know though. My battery is at like 8%, I'll answer all my games once I'm home and on a charger :/ Been playing Hero Acadamy, Ascencion and Carcassone all morning, it's quite taxing fuu.

EDIT: Also, NOONE owns Ingenious? WHAT IS THIS.

DukeSucks

Been playing carc for awhile, just picked up and trying to learn ascension, also have played a few games of ticket to ride.

Up for any of those, probably will be getting others that lots of you guys play

Smiley90

Also, I have something to say with regards to Kard Combat: It's... not that great. While it was fun to play while the "free" lasted, you hit the paywall EXTREMELY fast. Not only do you get limited after a few battles of play (as in, you can't advance the "campaign" any further), but you're also limited in the options that you have. If you wanna play the full game, you'll have to pay the 10 bucks, otherwise you're done in like 10 minutes. And imho, it's not worth the 10 bucks, I like the way Shadow Wars did it SO much better, where you can at least gain access to cards with playing. With Kard Combat, You just have to pay 10 bucks if you wanna play more than 15 minutes.

It's like Neuroshima Hex, in a sense that there are different preset decks that you can play with, only... Neuroshima Hex is a lot cheaper, and imho also better. (you pay 10 bucks for all decks in Kard Combat, or 2 bucks per deck, but 1 deck doesn't provide that much playing time either)

Overall, but that might just be me... but I didn't like it. The few battle I got to play before hitting the paywall definitely didn't convince me to pay. It feels solid, but that's it. :/

EDIT: Also, does Cabals finally have a way to get cards by not paying? Last time I played it there was no way to get the currency by playing, but I remember reading that they've wanted to introduce that to not force people to pay, similar to Shadow Wars... Is anyone up to date?

According to iTunes it has Game Center leaderboards, achievements, multiplayer, and has been updated with iPad retina graphics.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ah, finally re-learned Tigris & Euphrates. Forgot how awesome this game is. Does the async work OK? I started a game with smiley, bigwinner, & chicobalay but it's not clear to me who's accepted or how that even works.

Let me know if you want to play some T&E or just go ahead and invite me!

Ah, finally re-learned Tigris & Euphrates. Forgot how awesome this game is. Does the async work OK? I started a game with smiley, bigwinner, & chicobalay but it's not clear to me who's accepted or how that even works.

I've never played, but heard nothing but good things. How hard is it to learn?

tm24

So how should i start a Carc game? Just invite one other person or go for broke and make a full game?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've never played, but heard nothing but good things. How hard is it to learn?

Two pages: http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file...&_Euphrates_Rules_Summary_-_v_2004-05-20.pdf?
Visual reference: http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic1150487_md.png

Very thinky game, abstract but conflict heavy.

So how should i start a Carc game? Just invite one other person or go for broke and make a full game?
2P is a nice simple way to learn. My favorite in terms of fun is 4P. 5P I've always thought is a bit too much -- you get so few tiles that it's pretty luck-based.

mercviper

Is Operation Eradicate legit? I wouldn't want to support someone ripping off pandemic without their permission.

iirc, and correct me if I'm wrong, story goes something like the guy was contracted to create the pandemic iOS app, then before he finished, the company changed hands and they decided not to continue with it, so he had a near complete pandemic app, and nothing to do with it and debated a long time before making the theme change and putting it on the store on the cheap to help make up for costs.

So consider that in regards to a "legit" app.

As far as how it plays, it's nearly identical, but one of the character powers had a tweak to it that was different than what I was used to (I think it was the research station guy) also slightly different and multiples of event cards and slightly different city paths. I played once on hard and very hard and lost both times so it's just as ridiculous as pandemic in terms of win rate.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
As far as how it plays, it's nearly identical, but one of the character powers had a tweak to it that was different than what I was used to (I think it was the research station guy) also slightly different and multiples of event cards and slightly different city paths. I played once on hard and very hard and lost both times so it's just as ridiculous as pandemic in terms of win rate.

Oh yeah, they actually tweaked him in the expansion. So if this has online play do we need to add it to the list? Still on the fence about getting it myself. :p

as someone who's played almost 800 games of Ascension and loves async gaming, i submit to you that Food Fight is a complete waste of time on iOS, despite really wanting to love it. the art is great and it wouldn't be terrible real-time, but the structure of the game (even without the drafting) is just exhausting in async; you make so few choices each turn, and even then they're often no-brainers. skip it and play more Ascension.

mercviper

Oh yeah, they actually tweaked him in the expansion. So if this has online play do we need to add it to the list? Still on the fence about getting it myself. :p

Just checked, and there is a multiplayer icon in the app that brings up game center. App description also includes turn based game center multiplayer on it. Also on sale for $1.99 right now.

Edit: so thanks to this thread, I just got blokus, Tikal, ra, shadow age and ac:recollection. And only one of which I know how to play, blokus.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Let me know if you guys decide to get Operation Eradicate, it's something I'd pick up if I had people from GAF to play with.

I just picked it up. :D Once we can confirm the online works I'll add it to the OP and maybe Heel can add to spreadsheet. Straight GC invites are rough though -- T&E has that I think you have to invite by real name which is not easy. (Don't know if Eradicate is different.)

CzarTim

Does anyone have Small World? I would get it, but it's 7 dollars and only supports 2 players locally for multiplayer.

mercviper

I just picked it up. :D Once we can confirm the online works I'll add it to the OP and maybe Heel can add to spreadsheet. Straight GC invites are rough though -- T&E has that I think you have to invite by real name which is not easy. (Don't know if Eradicate is different.)

Just sent you an invite and took my turn. Can't find a chat option in game though.

If you are looking for the multiplayer icon, it's the hex with three people in it in the right side of the title screen

Edit: now that I'm playing I remember the weird rule now. If you are on the city you have the card for, you cannot use it to charter a flight to the city of your choice, which made me sad.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Playing Pandemic without communication is interesting and . . . weirdly fun? UI could definitely be improved a ton but solid game it seems.

Smiley90

I got the invite, oddly enough it came directly through Gamecenter oO (as in, I hade a message from Gamecenter pop up, as opposed to the app directly)

Also downloading Operation: Eradicate now!

Furthermore, does anyone know anything about War on Terror? It's a boardgame adaption and looks interesting and politically incorrect that I might actually get it. It's on sale for 2.99 instead of 4.99 atm, but doesn't have Multiplayer (yet)... Which is why I've been holding off so far. Looks cool though, does anyone know more about the port or the game in general? I might just get it once it has Multiplayer.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Operation Eradicate added to OP & spreadsheet. Heel I dunno how you snazzed up the chart so please feel free to fix that column. :p

Heel

Operation Eradicate added to OP & spreadsheet. Heel I dunno how you snazzed up the chart so please feel free to fix that column. :p

Haha, I had to find some hacked formula code to get it to format that way. You can't rotate text in Google Docs.

If you want to add a game title just copy and paste one of the other titles into the next column. Then in the formula bar, change the name (there will be two places in the formula to change the name). Voila!

EDIT: Looks like you did fine on your own, hah!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The one thing I didn't get I think is the Xs to be the right color by default. Had to copy-paste a green one.

Heel

The one thing I didn't get I think is the Xs to be the right color by default. Had to copy-paste a green one.

Highlight the whole column (holding shift and mouse clicking the top and bottom cells is quicker), then choose the color. After that filling in text will come in the color selected. Handled that part.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How did we win that game astro? I'm so confused. Haha.

It seems like there isn't a pure win or lose condition, just varying "endings" and score based on how the game finishes and where you were at when it did. Interesting, going to have to figure it out. I don't think I've gotten a pure win of 4 cures yet but it's actually kinda hard to tell hahah.

It seems like there isn't a pure win or lose condition, just varying "endings" and score based on how the game finishes and where you were at when it did. Interesting, going to have to figure it out. I don't think I've gotten a pure win of 4 cures yet but it's actually kinda hard to tell hahah.

I did in single player when I had 4 people. Only 2 of us makes it a little harder.

The game works though! Ui as I've said before needs lots of work, but the game works so that's good. I will play some more single player at work tonight, and see if I can figure the game out better.

tm24

I'm keeping a tally of how much money Astrolad is making me spend. He just sent me an Operation: Eradicate invite and im like, now i have to buy it!

Smiley90

The game ends if you either a) stabilize all regions, b) eight "spreading infection" events occur or c) 24 turns are over.

So you might get a partial victory, depending on how many regions are stabilized once the game's over. A region counts as stabilized if any ONE commander controls FIVE of that region's city resources, a city has an airfield and the commander starts a stabilization effort.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm keeping a tally of how much money Astrolad is making me spend. He just sent me an Operation: Eradicate invite and im like, now i have to buy it!

Hahah thought I was basing that off the spreadsheet -- didn't mean to pressure you more! :p

A couple notes on that game and others:
-If it's a game with GC-based invites (and no middle system like Ascension and Carc have) you can search by username. Didn't realize this at first and was trying to figure it out via avatars since you see real names by default. Whew. Easier than I thought it was at first.
-You can switch between your games by going back to main menu and then hitting the multiplayer icon again.

Heel

You know, I have a feeling this thread is going to really catch on when Notch releases Scrolls. Surely that'll come to iOS if they ported Minecraft.

Also, I know I'm posting in an iOS thread and all, but the Google Docs app for Android is perfect for the spreadsheet. It gives you buttons to sort each game column by X's or O's. Not sure if there's something similar for iOS.

EDIT: Oh wow nevermind, navigating to the spreadsheet in Safari gives you the same options. Awesome!

Smiley90

The one thing I don't like about Operation: Eradicate is that on my iPhone, the interface is SO INCREDIBLY TINY OH GOD.

Slacker

Does anyone have Small World? I would get it, but it's 7 dollars and only supports 2 players locally for multiplayer.

It's a competent translation but too expensive for me to give it a strong recommendation. If it had solid multiplayer I'd have no problem recommending it at all. The three/four player map would be very welcome as well.

The one thing I don't like about Operation: Eradicate is that on my iPhone, the interface is SO INCREDIBLY TINY OH GOD.

It's almost as bad on the iPad. Decent game but definitely needs some tweaking.

Good link for iOS board game news: http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/164/ios-board-games

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The thing that threw me about Small World is that it hasn't been updated since September 2010 in spite of the real game getting like five expansions in that timeframe. Abandon total. Days of Wonder has made some really unfortunate decisions.

The thing that threw me about Small World is that it hasn't been updated since September 2010 in spite of the real game getting like five expansions in that timeframe. Abandon total. Days of Wonder has made some really unfortunate decisions.

Yeah, what's there is pretty good too, it's a shame they haven't updated it. I bought it recently, and I'm enjoying it but I don't know how long that will last with no new content incoming.

Slacker

It makes it even worse when you realize that (A) they have such great material to work with and (B) their iOS games are extremely well made. Ticket to Ride is near perfect (apart from the whole iPad/pocket mess), and aside from a couple minor annoyances Small World is really well crafted too. Somehow seems like they simultaneously really care and really don't care about their iOS offerings.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Added another user name column on the other side of the spreadsheet. I think that'll be useful once it gets longer with more columns of game titles.

Nice, looking good. I'm stoked that we have a thread that will be poppin' when new board games come out. Wasn't the case before even for good games because we were all in the Carc thread and the iOS thread just moves too fast.

Nightfall incoming :D

Top Bottom