• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Nice, looking good. I'm stoked that we have a thread that will be poppin' when new board games come out. Wasn't the case before even for good games because we were all in the Carc thread and the iOS thread just moves too fast.

Nightfall incoming :D

Day1 for me if it's not too exorbitantly expensive. Should be coming in the next 1, 2 days I HOPE. Got submitted on the 28th :x.

Smiley90

I think I have Eradicate mostly figured out now, apart from the whole trading thing... Seems you can only trade a resource if both commanders are in the city resource that you want to trade?!? Seems oddly restrictive oO.

Hero

here's a little of the history of Operation Eradicate for those interested and sheds a little light on some of the controversy hinted at earlier.

interesting read, at least :

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/HenryTruong/20120215/9451/To_Clone_Or_Not_To_Clone.php

Wait, the guy sounds like he wasn't going to release it but then releases it now..? I'm confused.

Also just added my information to the OP. Astro, sorry I never kept up with you on some of the games we played on Yucata, got busy and out of the loop. It's much easier for me to keep up with iOS gaming though. :)

mercviper

Yes, I'm trying to figure out how to play eradicate as well

You have four actions per turn, represented by the number of bullets at the top of the screen. Actions you can take are: move to an adjacent connected city, defeat a zombie horde in your current city, fly to a city resource in your "hand", build an airport in your current city, fly to an airport, trade resources, and stabilize a region.

To move or fly you use the airport icon beneath your character (symbolized by a number of dots for first, second, third, and fourth players). Flying to a city in your hand requires you to discard that resource. Flying to an airport requires that you fly from a city that already has an airport.

To defeat one zombie horde in your current city you use the red battle icon beneath your character. There can be up to three zombie hordes in a city at a time. If a fourth one is to be added the outbreak counter goes up one, and one zombie horde is instead added to all connected cities. Once a region is stabilized, using the defeat zombie horde action clears the city completely.

To build an airport in the current city you use the orange airport symbol beneath your character. Building an airport also requires you to discard the resource of the current city. Airports are important because you need them to stabilize regions.

To trade resources with another player, you need to both be in the same city as the resource to be traded. The action will allow transfer of that city resource from you to him, or him to you.

To stabilize a region, you need to have five city resources from the same region, and be in a city containing an airport (you do not have to be in a city of the same region you are stabilizing). If after stabilizing a region, you remove all zombies from that region, that region is considered eradicated. The equivalent to this in pandemic is not something I advise to do normally, but since eradicate is point based and you never really lose, just score less/more, I'd say it's worth pursuing unless it prevents you from stabilizing another region or ending the game via game turns.

There are also white resource events that are pretty much free actions, in that they do not take up one of the four actions you have per turn to use. You can also use them outside of your turn.

Garrison-garrison a city remotely, removing all zombies in that city and prevent new zombies from invading.
Interdict-reduce the zombie encounter to zero for one turn.
???-airlift a player to any other city
???-build an airport in any city
???-active player can take two more actions

There are probably more but I can't think of them right now.

The game phases per turn are as follows:

Take four actions
Draw two resources
Zombies invade

The resource drawn can be either a) a city resource b) a special event resource or c) a zombie outbreak

When a zombie outbreak occurs, all previous invaded cities are susceptible to invasion again (the invasion discard pile is shuffled and placed in top of the invasion draw deck) additionally, a new city is drawn and invaded with three zombie hordes.

....stopping here because astrolad is smarter than me and posted the pandemic rules pdf

here's a little of the history of Operation Eradicate for those interested and sheds a little light on some of the controversy hinted at earlier.

interesting read, at least :

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/HenryTruong/20120215/9451/To_Clone_Or_Not_To_Clone.php
Interesting yeah, but am I missing something? I thought people were saying Operation Eradicate was going to be the official Pandemic app until the IP owners bailed on the dev and that the dev just reskinned it so his work didn't go to waste. But this guy is saying that even though the IP owners pulled the rug out from under him, he still wasn't going to re-skin the app. The Operation Eradicate guys look like a wholly different group of devs.

tm24

Getting better and better with every game of Ascension. I will beat astrolad!

God tonight has justified me buying this iPad

mercviper

Interesting yeah, but am I missing something? I thought people were saying Operation Eradicate was going to be the official Pandemic app until the IP owners bailed on the dev and that the dev just reskinned it so his work didn't go to waste. But this guy is saying that even though the IP owners pulled the rug out from under him, he still wasn't going to re-skin the app. The Operation Eradicate guys look like a wholly different group of devs.

Hmmmmm... I think you're right. According to http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2169787 it is a different group :/ now I feel bad for my previous statement since I was under the assumption truong did the reskin. Sorry everyone.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
IMHO, out of all those, only Bang would be worth it, since it's got some strategic element to it. But it's "just" a cardgame with some playable cards, it's fairly simple. No idea how the app is though, I only know the real game.

Yeah agreed on that. We'll have plenty of good games to add in short order once Nightfall, Agricola, Neuroshima Online, Titan Online, etc. all come out. :D

Getting better and better with every game of Ascension. I will beat astrolad!

God tonight has justified me buying this iPad
:D you will definitely beat me in short order. Not in Carcassonne though if I have my way!

Smiley90

Yeah agreed on that. We'll have plenty of good games to add in short order once Nightfall, Agricola, Neuroshima Online, Titan Online, etc. all come out. :D

:D you will definitely beat me in short order. Not in Carcassonne though if I have my way!

What's with those? By Neuroshima Online, do you just mean the Neuroshima Hex multiplayer update?

Heel

I'll add Bang then. I didn't even know Neuroshima Hex wasn't online yet, haha. That's why I had it on the spreadsheet. Worked out though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What's with those? By Neuroshima Online, do you just mean the Neuroshima Hex multiplayer update?

I think so. I haven't been keeping a super close watch though I do hope it's just an update. Titan I believe I saw yesterday they're adding online very soon. Still need to learn that one though.

Smiley90

I think so. I haven't been keeping a super close watch though I do hope it's just an update. Titan I believe I saw yesterday they're adding online very soon. Still need to learn that one though.

Is Titan out on iPhone? I haven't seen it.

Smiley90

Haha, as soon as I said that, astrolad proceeded to destroy me

Dude, do you like, draw through your whole friggin' deck each turn or what.

EDIT:

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

tm24

Dude, do you like, draw through your whole friggin' deck each turn or what.

EDIT:

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg
Remember how I said I got destroyed by astrolad? Yeah, I basically did to you what he did to me. I made sure to clear the center row of anything that would nuke my constructs.

Also, the neauroshima hex online is gonna be an update later this month. They talk about it here

Smiley90

Remember how I said I got destroyed by astrolad? Yeah, I basically did to you what he did to me. I made sure to clear the center row of anything that would nuke my constructs.

Also, the neauroshima hex online is gonna be an update later this month. They talk about it here

haha yeah that was brutal, I don't think I've ever lost a game by this much LOL. Constructs can get brutal if you get the right ones early one and can combo them up.

I have to start playing Ascension more often again, can't just get beaten like that tz.

I definitely see no reason why there should be a problem of splitting up a larger community such as the iOS one. I don't understand why people didn't like that idea.
Hopefully I'll have some time to get the App thread up tonight. So busy, ><

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Watched the rules video on BGG and purchased Ra this morning. Looks like a pretty cool game. Apparently a classic...so glad to add it to my list.

Slacker

So, what are the differences between Ticket to Ride and the Pocket version? Pocket has async multiplayer? That's a pretty crucial oversight on the iPad version. Are their released expansions different too?

They are totally separate and for the moment unequal:

Ticket to Ride iPad
- 1910, Europe, and Switz expansions available.
- Better graphics
- Online real-time multiplayer through Days of Wonder (play against PC and/or iPad players)

Ticket to Ride Pocket
- 1910 expansion only.
- Online through Game Center only - async is the only option.

If they'd add the Game Center mode to the iPad version, I would be a happy camper (note that multi through Game Center is a little shitty, but it works for the most part). For now I have both installed on the iPad. I play a live game or two against DoW opponents on the iPad version almost every night. I play the pocket version is 2x modes against my GC friends async.

If you're looking for a recommendation on which one to get, I'd say the pocket version may be a better intro. You can play against your sweet sweet GAF buddies easier, and it looks OKish on the iPad anyway. If you'd rather play real-time games, or if you get into it and want to play some really competitive games, the iPad version is awesome.

If you really want to get nuts you can get the PC version too, which I have. I bought the PC version and all the expansions for $25 back before I had an iPad. Eventually I bought the iPad version and all the expansions for $16. And I bought the pocket version and the expansion for $2. And of course I have the physical version, along with the 1910 expansion and both map packs for another $120 or so. Dagum.

Watched the rules video on BGG and purchased Ra this morning. Looks like a pretty cool game. Apparently a classic...so glad to add it to my list.

One of my favourite iOS games because it is simple and fast and fairly unique (it's my first auction game anyway). The only thing I can see people struggle with is figuring out how what they're bidding on translates into points, but by the end of my second game I had it figured out using only the in-game tutorial. I haven't tried playing online yet though, I fear I'll get destroyed.

RubxQub

Is Ra async? Because I'll learn it and play with you guys. Rubx accept my Ascension invites!

Ack! I haven't even seen them come in since I'm not looking at my iPad while I'm at work typically. I'll probably see them all when I get home :(

Sorry bout that!

sladeums

i'm giving an early thumbs up on this Fealty.
played through the tutorial and a couple matches on the bus to work.
pretty easy to learn, but high level strategy seems potentially very deep.
i can definitely see getting into (and sucking) at this.

initial impressions:
Pros
- easy to learn. includes a simple, decently made Tutorial and a Rules section
- strategy seems like it could be rather complex and had my head a bit twisted
- AI is reportedly very strong
- pretty quick games ... 2-4 players, game length is fixed at 6 or 9 turns (depending on variant selected)
- post game you can review your completed match and scoring turn by turn. it also saves a history (unsure of how many) of recent games completed

Cons
- $5 can be a leap of faith for a skninflint
- somewhat spartan design ... not really any eye candy here
- lacks some "flash" that could better convey physicality of the board game pieces

here is a video review of the tabletop game:
http://www.dicetower.com/game_reviews/f/fealty.html
(note, the complexities of piece placement restrictions and the scoring are all handled and highlighted by the app, so most of the "difficult" Rules related stuff does not really get in the way of the game

Is Ra async? Because I'll learn it and play with you guys. Rubx accept my Ascension invites!

Yes, though I haven't tried it. According to this review and the comments, it doesn't work perfectly (though it has been updated). The main problem seems to be that the game isn't well suited to async gameplay. I can see that, turns are very quick and minimal (you either bid on the tiles/take one with a god or draw and pass), but I'll be willing to give it a try.

So do we got 4 people around right now to play a game of Operation: Eradicate? I wanna give it a shot 4 player.

Edit: as a side note, im sad im JUST below the cut off line on the Google Doc :p.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cool about Fealty. I remember hearing a lot of good things about the tabletop so I'm definitely going to give it a shot.m probably be at least a day or two before I can learn the rules though. :D

Ack! I haven't even seen them come in since I'm not looking at my iPad while I'm at work typically. I'll probably see them all when I get home :(

Sorry bout that!

No worries or rush! Just wasn't sure they had gotten through (Ascension used to have notification problems but I think they fixed them).

How about we replace Hero Academy with Fealty? I had no idea there was a Hero Academy thread, so no point splintering the community. Hero Academy in a board game thread was reaching anyway.

I dunno, hero academy is basically shadow wars, which is an actual board game. But really doesn't matter if it's dropped. I'm more interested in the niche stuff in this thread anyway.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah if it has its own thread, don't see the need unless someone is really using it. I'm going to play HA for sure and I suppose will just join the action in that thread if I get into it enough.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hah, I think 3 minutes for an Ascension game might have been too short.

Oh yes everyone should be careful about this. Don't know why they made the default so short. I guess it's to default to live play but since you can accept an invite any time it seems weird. I just do 14 days (which is max). It's not even 14 days per turn just 14 days total for all your turns. Reasonable.

So I suggested Army of Frogs and finally got on the server but I can't figure out how to play with friends and not randoms. So, I may suggest removing it unless someone has an answer for that problem. Sorry.

I got a invite for Ascension with a 30 minute time limit. Whoever that was, again sorry, had to turn it down because I'm rarely in a position where I can set aside 30 quick minutes. If the time limit is increased, I'm happy to play.

What are opinions on Operation Eradicate? I see some games going, but, is it any good?

I'm in 2 Tigris games started by AstroLad, so, nice on starting those up. Now I gotta learn the game!

And as always, I'm up for Carc first and foremost. My iPad is basically a $500 Carc player. My ELO got up near 1400 then I started up about 30 games with almost everyone on my list and now it's dropped below 1300. But, I rather be playing than...what, playing well? no that doesn't sound right. Just say I'm glad to see notifications on that game.

Second to Carc, Ascension and TtRP are my #2 and #3. Will definitely pay attention to Nightfall and give the devs a pass on the calamity of Food Fight.

Heel

Hmmm well if no one speaks up about wanting to keep Hero Academy or matchmaking in Army of Frogs I'll edit up the spreadsheet.

Gonna have to stop taking invites for games. I'm going iPadless in a few days for a week or two and don't want to hold you guys up. Really thought the Carc games would go faster, so will probably be leaving a lot of games hanging for a while. Sorry guys!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hmmm well if no one speaks up about wanting to keep Hero Academy or matchmaking in Army of Frogs I'll edit up the spreadsheet.

Gonna have to stop taking invites for games. I'm going iPadless in a few days for a week or two and don't want to hold you guys up. Really thought the Carc games would go faster, so will probably be leaving a lot of games hanging for a while. Sorry guys!

Honestly for games like Carc doesn't really matter at all. I'm going on a two-week vacation in a couple weeks myself. NBD really that's the nice thing about async.

Smiley90

Well, i REALLY like Hero Academy, I think the game itself is perfectly valid to be on the list, BUT...

The biggest problem with it, that makes me think maybe it's in fact better to have it in a separate thread is the lack of gamecenter support for multiplayer. Because we'd need to somehow list all of our Hero Academy nicks and don't have the capacity to do that for every game that doesn't use gamcenter, a seperate thread is way better.

TL;DR Game would be good for the list, but lack of gamecenter nicks makes me agree with dropping it.

Ps: Hero Academy just got an update with a new team :p

mercviper

I played AC Recollection and ShadowEra almost nonstop last night.

As a former M:tG player those games satisfy that itch so much. On the other hand, getting enough cards for a proper deckbuilding seems like it'll take a lot of time on my end
that I don't mind spending
if I don't want to use in app purchases.

RubxQub

Just accepted both of those Ascension invites and started up my turns. Played a practice game with the computer to brush up :p

Top Bottom