• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 4S |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
RubxQub said:
I'm still using Siri on my iPhone 4 now!

"If you scoffed at the news that Apple's Siri would only be available on the iPhone 4S, thinking that you could just use the standard Siri app that was still available on the App Store, then scoff no more. The freely available Siri app has been removed from the App Store completely, and as TechCrunch reports, the whole service is being taken down in advance of the official debut of the app as part of iOS 5. TUAW reader Luc reports that the current app now gives a note as it starts up that the app will be "leaving for home" on October 15th, so you have until then to enjoy the app as is if you happen to still have it installed. Presumably at that point, the old service will end, and you'll have to buy an iPhone 4S if you want access to the new service.

This basically makes sense: Apple's trying to sell devices, and it wouldn't really work to have a version of the service out there running around for free, even if that service isn't as integrated. Apple's done the same thing with other companies they've picked up and made official, including CoverFlow back in the day.

Unfortunately, if you're currently a big Siri user, then you'll have to upgrade your handset to keep using the service as is -- there is no built-in plan to let you keep using the current app."

source: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/04/original-siri-service-is-dead-long-live-apple-siri/

It will work until the 15th and then its toast.

CrankyJay

Banned
MThanded said:
The Siri app and service is officially dead now. App removed from the app store. So 4s will be the only way to use the tech now.

Yeah i tried to defend apple for the 4s only siri implementation but... http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/04/original-siri-service-is-dead-long-live-apple-siri/#aol-comments

People have been using this app for a while now on other phones. If I had an iphone and had been using this app I would be mad too. Its pretty jacked up that they did not bring it to all the phones that supported the functionality before.

I am still most likely getting an iphone 4s because I have been waiting for one on sprint for a long time but this is still pretty shady.

When was service killed? I used it at of 3pm today.

edit: Saw post above. FUCK OFF APPLE.

Meeeeeeeehhhhhh. Was really expecting the 5 with a larger screen, and a different form factor/shell composition. The only thing interesting to me is 64 GB capacity. I'll wait for 5.

starok

Banned
So let's see how the A5 in the 4S compares to other mobiles.

41042.png

41060.png

41056.png

41057.png

If it's not underclocked compared to the ipad 2 it will be a pretty major leap.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Leshita said:
1080p 30fps video sounds good, hope the picture quality is great too. Damn, who needs an SLR? :p

I do hope the iPhone's camera can approach SLR quality in the future as I just sold my SLR a while back.
Yeah, not even close. The features they added in this release are better, but you are still looking at a tiny sensor and speeds that aren't anywhere near an SLR level. Megapixels aren't everything.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Prologue said:
If I get this and I wish to get the iphone 5, I would have to pay full price wouldn't I? >.>
How much is your monthly plan going to be?

It seems like people who spend more per month are offered earlier upgrades. I've been eligible every year.

njr

This isn't bad for someone who has a 3GS. Whenever they're making an iPhone 5, i'm skipping that.

KAL2006

Banned
Still happy with my 3GS will wait until apple decide to have a larger ascreen for their next iphone and im sure when iphone 5 drops mext year 3gs will start getting less support, at the moment every app and game seems to run fine on 3gs

Rourkey

3N16MA said:
3GS did fine even though it looked exactly like the 3G. I think this confirms Apple is going two cycles with it's iPhone design and then major change.
Apple didn't have any competition at the time, Apple need to do better than a faster processor and better Camera if they want to keep everyone on their upgrade cycle bus.

To be honest after using a Samsung Galaxy 2 I really thought apple were going to have to play a blinder to stay ahead, the screen and weight are just so much better IMO.

I'm not sure Apple keeping the same form factor is going to make all those 3GS owners holding off waiting for the iPhone 5 want to jump in and end up with a phone that looks like the one their 4 owning mates have been using for over a year. Many will look at other, cheaper options IMO

Aske

Finally time to buy an iPhone. I'm disappointed by the lack of 5ishness after the huge delay and the exciting mock-ups, but I'm glad I held out for the upgrades, especially the GSM/CDMA capability and camera.

Not that I mind much, but does anyone know why the 4S battery has 100 hours less standby time than the iPhone 4, but 1 hour more talk time over 3G and otherwise identical battery stats? I get that the new hardware probably sucks down more power, and that the battery will have been slightly modified to compensate, but where is the juice going while the phone is on standby?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Same gorgeous form factor, MOAR POWER.

I know some people are disappointed, but I've been stuck with a 3G for 3 years and I can't wait to get rid of it. I wanted a 4 when they first came out, but circumstances prevented me from obtaining one.

This feels like a reward for all that waiting. My contract is up, I'm looking for a new phone, and this is the one. White, 32GB please.

Number45

Rourkey said:
To be honest after using a Samsung Galaxy 2 I really thought apple were going to have to play a blinder to stay ahead, the screen and weight are just so much better IMO.
Is the 2 heavier than its predecessor? Because I know a couple of people with an original Galaxy and I hate how light it is.

Kuran said:
Do they explain why the voice in Siri is so bad? Couldn't they get it to sound more natural?
Voice pack DLC?

Malajax said:
Tired of ios. Will be upgrading to android.
hahahhaa you think that's an upgrade

have fun with your smaller shittier selection of apps and your one size fits all but not all that well OS

RubxQub

Chuck said:
Will the Verizon version support simultaneous voice + data?
No.

Trojita said:
Yeah, not even close. The features they added in this release are better, but you are still looking at a tiny sensor and speeds that aren't anywhere near an SLR level. Megapixels aren't everything.
Yup, that's why I said in the 'future'. ;P
Although I do recall in one of their previous conferences (iPhone 4 I think) that they are focusing on improving the camera's image fidelity and not just megapixels. I doubt that it would be as good as an SLR anytime soon though given the small form factor of the devices, but one can dream. :)

notworksafe

Kuran said:
Do they explain why the voice in Siri is so bad? Couldn't they get it to sound more natural?
I'm surprised they aren't using OS X's Alex voice. It's really nice, as far as robot voices go.

Chuck said:
Will the Verizon version support simultaneous voice + data?
It could. EVDO Rev. A allows for voice and data at the same time. The HTC Thunderbolt allows data+talk at the same time.

Aske

Kuran said:

I was wondering the same thing. Synthesized voices far superior to that have been around for a long while. Apple needs to hook up with a company like iSpeech or Loquendo.

X-Frame

If this has been asked a bazillion times please forgive me ..

But I am not eligible to upgrade for AT&T until February, yet my brother is. He can't afford a new phone so I was going to give him mine and then buy the 4S.

Is it possible for "him" to buy the new 4S and then I can just sync it with my iTunes as a new phone or will I have an issue?

notworksafe

threenote said:
I still don't see what's so good about this phone in comparison to the regular 4.

Better camera? Big whoop.
Better camera, better processor, more RAM, better graphics, Siri, 1080p video, dual band antenna and keeps about the same battery life.

I don't complain much, but I'm thunderstruck that they didn't announce the iPhone 5 at this conference. Now I'm stuck with my piece-of-shit iPhone 3G for another year, because I'm sure as hell not going to upgrade to the 4S only for Apple to unveil their larger-screened/better-everything iPhone 5 next year.

Until then I'll remain a surly curmudgeon.

RubxQub

threenote said:
I still don't see what's so good about this phone in comparison to the regular 4.

Better camera? Big whoop.
- Much faster processor for better gaming and more robust application UIs
- Much better camera
- 1080p video camera with image stabilization
- Siri Assistant
- HSDPA data speeds on GSM networks
- 64GB model (for more money)

Pretty big upgrade.

Masked Man

I said wow
UrokeJoe said:
Not bad, kind of tempting, but I can wait for iPhone 5.

That's kind of the way that I feel. I would certainly appreciate having better camera/video capabilities, but it's not absolutely necessary. Likewise, I'm on a 16GB phone, and I barely use 10% of its storage space. In any case, I just signed up for a two-year contract, and I won't be leaving the country often enough to make world phone capabilities worth paying the extra money.

RevoDS

notworksafe said:
It could. EVDO Rev. A allows for voice and data at the same time. The HTC Thunderbolt allows data+talk at the same time.

That would be wrong. CDMA doesn't allow voice and data at the same time. The only reason the Thunderbolt can do it is because voice and data are taken simultaneously on different networks (voice goes through the CDMA antenna, data goes through the LTE network). Since the iPhone 4S doesn't support LTE, it is technically impossible to have voice and data at the same time on it.

Rourkey

Number45 said:
Is the 2 heavier than its predecessor? Because I know a couple of people with an original Galaxy and I hate how light it is.

Voice pack DLC?
I dint know how light it is compared to the first one but it is much lighter than my iPhone 4 and much more comfortable to use fir a period of time, because it's light and thin it balances in the hand much better as well in my view

threenote

Banned
RubxQub said:
- Much faster processor for better gaming and more robust application UIs
- Much better camera
- 1080p video camera with image stabilization
- Siri Assistant
- HSDPA data speeds on GSM networks
- 64GB model (for more money)

Pretty big upgrade.
notworksafe said:
Better camera, better processor, more RAM, better graphics, Siri, 1080p video, dual band antenna and keeps about the same battery life.

I guess that's worthy. I was just hoping for a bigger/better screen and an aluminum case.

notworksafe

RevoDS said:
That would be wrong. CDMA doesn't allow voice and data at the same time. The only reason the Thunderbolt can do it is because voice and data are taken simultaneously on different networks (voice goes through the CDMA antenna, data goes through the LTE network). Since the iPhone 4S doesn't support LTE, it is technically impossible to have voice and data at the same time on it.
But Thunderbolt allows data+voice even over 3G data connection. I see no reason that the 4S won't be able to do the same.

sangreal

RevoDS said:

Not true. I have a Thunderbolt and it supports voice+data without LTE (SVDO)

teamaxe

Kuran said:

The Siri voice is actually the Voice Over voice. Go turn on Accessibility, and you'll get it.

Futureman

Jack Scofield said:
I don't complain much, but I'm thunderstruck that they didn't announce the iPhone 5 at this conference. Now I'm stuck with my piece-of-shit iPhone 3G for another year, because I'm sure as hell not going to upgrade to the 4S only for Apple to unveil their larger-screened/better-everything iPhone 5 next year.

Until then I'll remain a surly curmudgeon.

If I were in your situation, the only reason I wouldn't upgrade is if you REALLY want a larger screen and you are REALLY sure Apple will actually release an iPhone with a larger screen.

you are seriously still using a 3G? OMMMMMMMMMG.

and was Siri a paid app? I hope it was free, or I feel bad for the dude who just bought it and was welcomed by that message above today.

ecurbj

notworksafe said:
But Thunderbolt allows data+voice even over 3G data connection.
With the help of EVDO Rev. A. Not sure if the 4S is coming with that. Would be nice though for new Verizon iPhone 4S users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom