• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Gallbaro

Banned
How does the lightning to 3.5mm adapter work? Does it have a built in DAC? Does the phone have a DAC... but why would it?
The phone definitely has a CODEC built in and had probably mixed analog and digital signals on a few connector pins that it sperates with a DC block in the adapter.

chUKSih.jpg

OUcai4m.jpg

tCDgVCF.jpg

DpFClWA.jpg

h5cqGUl.jpg

Wouldn't recommend getting that jet black version if you want to go naked

First upgrade in a few years - anyone on the next plan with att where you need to give back the phone to get a new one? How do the preorders work with that bullshit?

Yeah I'm also wondering about this for next year. Also hopefully I can get my phone ordered for the release date, last time the site fucked up and I had to wait about a month.

giga

chUKSih.jpg

OUcai4m.jpg

tCDgVCF.jpg

DpFClWA.jpg

h5cqGUl.jpg

Wouldn't recommend getting that jet black version if you want to go naked

The best thing about the black version over the others, in addition to the black front, are inconspicuous antenna lines this year. Easily the worst aspect of the 6/6S design and they've finally done something about it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
mMq6RNT.png

next year
yep...this is like a filler step to get people used to the idea but I imagine the feel will be identical.
Basically like the new trackpads. Soon the only moving parts in the phone will be the electro magnet that causes the vibration.

The best thing about the black version over the others, in addition to the black front, are inconspicuous antenna lines this year. Easily the worst aspect of the 6/6S design and they've finally done somethign about it.
Yes. Best thing. The lines blend in with the case. The way it should be.

Exactly what I thought but there is no way it'll be that shitty. No way.

Yeah need to know about this asap.

WTF, I can trade my 6+ for essentially ~$800?!?!?! Where do I sign up

Also, the official Apple Lightning Dock is the only way Ive figured out to charge/listen to music wired. http://www.apple.com/shop/product/ML...ock-space-gray
https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/status/773678962107047936

I would read the replies, T Mobile Help is giving specific price credits based on several phones.

Jeffrey

Why can't apple create some magical finish thats glossy and fingerprint resistant?

Instead they spent 5min of jon ive masturbating over a phone that seems more easy to scratch than the iphone 3G plastic shell.

Armadilo

Banned
got a message from tmobile twitter -

Since I have an SE and asking about that free iPhone promo

You can totally still take advantage of this offer too! You can get the iPhone 7 for $250 and the iPhone 7+... 1/2

...for $370 if you've got the iPhone SE. *TylerDevenere 2/2

I have jump so i think i just have to turn the phone in and I don't have to pay upfront

I'm contemplating on what to do as I owe $200 left and have the $50 a month plan while paying the $12 jump program, thinking about switching to the apple program because continuing with the same plan would only save me $10 but with apple it would be $30 + $70 a month tmobile plan. So $92 vs $105 with apple plus I would have to pay off the $200

X-Frame

If I successfully pre-order and instead of having mine shipped, have it for in-store pickup (Grand Central Apple Store to be specific), can I pick it up at any time that launch day and be okay?

I'm completely fine with skipping the lines, actually going to work for the morning, then picking mine up at lunch time. Is that possible?

The adapter will have a DAC because Lightning is purely a high speed serial bus. The phone still has a DAC because it needs to play audio through the speakers.

Wouldn't it also need an amp as well, though? A DAC will only give you line out audio. The adapter also seems to work with previous phones as well, but only if they have iOS 10.

border

There's got to be some kind of catch with the T-Mobile offer.

Otherwise, why wouldn't I just go buy an iPhone 6 16GB ($400) and use it to get a free iPhone 7 ($650)?

Damn it. But what's the point of such a beautiful finish if you're going to put a case on it?

I was thinking about getting a clear case for a jet black phone but the post about the normal black phone and the antennas just sold me on the normal one and I could use it with or without the case whenever I want.

MrMephistoX

There's got to be some kind of catch with the T-Mobile offer.

Otherwise, why wouldn't I just go buy an iPhone 6 16GB ($400) and use it to get a free iPhone 7 ($650)?

Probably forcing you into Jump or something. I'll be on the lookout though!

border

someone ask T-mobile on twitter about those on the $30 walmart plan

Nobody on the $30 Wal-Mart plan is getting any kind of free upgrade or trade in deal, I can almost guarantee that.

This is meant to attract new postpaid customers.

Probably forcing you into Jump or something. I'll be on the lookout though!
New customers should be on the lookout if they don't want JUMP, they love adding that onto new contracts when you didn't even ask for it. You can easily cancel it but its still annoying.

BdoUK

Can you trade in phones on Apple's upgrade plan or make a down payment to have smaller payments each month?

I'm curious about this as well. My wife and I both have 64gb iPhone 6 that we would be willing to trade in to jump on the yearly upgrade program. I'm guessing the smaller payment would only be good for the first year of phone ownership as trade in of each phone after that is part of the yearly upgrade deal.

Gallbaro

Banned
Wouldn't it also need an amp as well, though? A DAC will only give you line out audio. The adapter also seems to work with previous phones as well, but only if they have iOS 10.
He is likely wrong. The CODEC driving the headphone most likely the same CODEC driving the phone handset audio functions. It is very easy to mix analog and digital signaling.

Jimrpg

Great announcement, one thing people love about their iPhones are their cameras so the fact that its getting an upgrade (if only for the plus), is going to sell well, and people might have to start learning to live with bigger size phones.

Starting to feel like the mid size iPhone (4.7") feels gimped when it really should be on the same level as the plus. It was ok the iPhone 6/6s, but the dual camera update is huge.

Roo

I don't get how anyone is ok with this.

It's not really that anyone is ok with this but there's really no choice if you want to listen to music and charge your phone at the same time.

Removing the headphone jack just because it is "ancient technology" was just plain stupid.

MrMephistoX

Please be true..

Details may be up

*iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions, and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.

If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance at full price is due. For well-qualified customers via bill credits with a 24-month finance agreement and qualifying service; + taxes and fees.

Read more at https://explore.t-mobile.com/iPhone7/PreReg.aspx#Q0Xwctpt4Lt1oraO.99

Guess Who

Banned
Great announcement, one thing people love about their iPhones are their cameras so the fact that its getting an upgrade (if only for the plus), is going to sell well, and people might have to start learning to live with bigger size phones.

Starting to feel like the mid size iPhone (4.7") feels gimped when it really should be on the same level as the plus. It was ok the iPhone 6/6s, but the dual camera update is huge.

The regular 7 camera is going to be a bigger upgrade over the 6S than I think most will expect. Larger sensor + larger aperture + better ISP + optical image stabilization is gonna result in much better photos. The 6S camera was really held back by its comparatively tiny sensor.

Almost all of the audio ICs are complete DAC + amp on a single package these days. Space is always at a premium.

neshcom

Banned
What do you guys think about the 32GB option? Is it enough space? I have a 64GB 6 Plus here with 33GB of free space remaining.

It ought to be plenty unless you're taking photos/long videos every day. I'll say getting the 128GB has meant not ever worrying about storage space in terms of deleting apps or video and I'm really stoked that's now on a cheaper memory tier.

Jimrpg

What do you guys think about the 32GB option? Is it enough space? I have a 64GB 6 Plus here with 33GB of free space remaining.

I think its enough space, but will need a bit more space management with photos and videos on the cloud.

I don't really find myself downloading huge apps any more and just stick to the usual ones.

ZaTngdGl.png

So unlike last year, where J & JOD got priority, it's completely first come first serve.

I think you'll be worrying about space too often with half the GB. I know I would.

giga

Think you're selling it short. The 4.7 gained OIS, f1.8, and wide color. It's just missing optical zoom.

The regular 7 camera is going to be a bigger upgrade over the 6S than I think most will expect. Larger sensor + larger aperture + better ISP + optical image stabilization is gonna result in much better photos. The 6S camera was really held back by its comparatively tiny sensor.
Was a larger sensor confirmed?

Jimrpg

Its still a nice upgrade, though I think most people are going to compare the 7 and 7 plus in a shop and then physically see that there's a dual camera system on the 7 plus and going to want that.

Jawmuncher

So I'm already due for an upgrade at ATT. Do preorders get counted for that? Like can I go into the store and go "I want to preorder the iPhone 7 as my upgrade'.

Red

I purposely excluded that because I can easily tell it's not real so i don't really care for it.
I hope Apple can improve it a bit before they roll it out. There were a few inconsistencies in their demo images. The last one they showed had the effect applied to the dude's glasses, I assume because the background was reflected in them.

Did any of the previous iphones drop in price today after the 7 reveal? I'm currently using an iphone 4s and it's nightmarishly slow. I'm thinking about maybe upgrading to an iphone SE. Any recommendations where to get an SE for cheapest, or a good android equivalent? I'm a smartphone noob and don't really want to spend more than $350 on a phone.

border

Fine print on the site says you sign up for a $24 month contract and only on certain plans.

"If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance at full price is due. For well-qualified customers via bill credits with a 24-month finance agreement and qualifying service; + taxes and fees."

Read more at https://explore.t-mobile.com/iPhone7/PreReg.aspx#Q0Xwctpt4Lt1oraO.99

I am confused. So you still have to pay for the iPhone 7, but that money gets slowly refunded to you as a $24/month credit on your bill?

Top Bottom