• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

KingKong

No matter how you choose to upgrade you'll wind up paying full retail price. Either through device payments or services charges from your carrier, it's always been unavoidable. With the upgrade program if you decide to upgrade every year and turn in your phone, you only end up paying half the retail price for it and half the price of applecare

sorry I don't get this part, how are you paying half the price? because you're turning the old one in? because it sounds like you can do that with any plan http://www.apple.com/iphone/trade-up/

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'll be getting a Jet Black 7 Plus, and absolutely won't be using a case. Come at me, bro.

I had a case on my original 8GB iPhone and the 3GS. 5+ phones later, and I haven't used a case or a screen protector, and have never suffered a terribly damaged phone or scratched screen. Even the black, chamfered edges on the 5 stayed in good condition.

My last four phones have been iPhones but the way they handled this headphone jack thing just rubs me the wrong way. They didn't even say something like "In order to maximize the phone's battery..." or "To accommodate our new home button...". Instead they had the gall to say that 'courage' bullshit. Lightning headphones seem to have no advantage over standard headphones and wireless headphones are a neat concept, but generally seem to be lower audio quality at a much higher price. It could not have been more clear from that event that the prime reason they got rid of the headphone jack was to sell us more accessories. There's nothing here to justify the inconvenience of losing the jack. My 6 still works great, I guess I'll wait to see if Samsung or Google catch my eye or see if the iPhone 8 is the revelatory iPhone it's rumored to be.

Mortemis

Banned
The more I think of it, keeping my 6S sounds more appealing. Maybe t-mobile will do a promo I can't refuse, but it's looking like I'll probably join you guys next year in the next iPhone OT.

Here's hoping for Apple to re-invent wireless charging next year.

icespide

Banned
if Apple felt the need to mention the idea of the jet black finish scratching then i'm expecting it to scratch like a mother fucker

toohectic

Does Apple's iPhone upgrade program affect AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan at all? If I buy through Apple, is AT&T even aware of the transaction? And if they are, do they still make me pay an upgrade fee? This will be my first upgrade that is not subsidized through AT&T. (Since they no longer offer it.)

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Eh? The iPhone 7 at France cost 769 Euros. An equivalent of that in USD is 864. You mean to tell me that the after tax of 650 USD is 846? ;)

1. You are doing direct conversion of money using google search and posting current face value no currency conversion company is gonna give you 864 USD they give you a lower rate so they can make a profit and other factors.

2. iPhone 7 is $649 USD pre-tax so lets take California that has a avg sales tax of 8.29% (you can pay as high as 10%) sales take on top of that price so you are looking at $702.8 ($53.8 "Avg" tax) .

3. In France for example you pay 769 (32GB 7) your VAT alone adds 139 €

In the end you really are not paying that much extra at all when you consider all the factors and how bullshit VAT is.

Edit: Fixed Pricing.

How does the Apple upgrade plan work if I'm switching to another carrier? I'm on the grandfathered unlimited plan from ATT and my 2 year contract ends on Sept 12th.

So if I switch to another carrier like Verizon/T-Mobile can that switch done at the Apple retail location when I sign up for the upgrade plan?

SDxU7GKl.png

UrokeJoe

Does Apple's iPhone upgrade program affect AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan at all? If I buy through Apple, is AT&T even aware of the transaction? And if they are, do they still make me pay an upgrade fee? This will be my first upgrade that is not subsidized through AT&T. (Since they no longer offer it.)

This is what I would like to know.2

Lexxism

1. You are doing direct conversion of money using google search and posting current face value no currency conversion company is gonna give you 864 USD they give you a lower rate so they can make a profit and other factors.

2. iPhone 7 is $769 USD pre-tax so lets take California that has a avg sales tax of 8.29% (you can pay as high as 10%) sales take on top of that price so you are looking at $832.75 ($63.75 "Avg" tax) .

3. In France for example you pay 769 (32GB 7) your VAT alone adds 139 €

In the end you really are not paying that much extra at all when you consider all the factors and how bullshit VAT is.
There's some misunderstanding on this. The 769 Euro I mentioned is the regular iphone 7. Take off 119 USD from your computation.

bman94

Not an Apple fan at all, and it really blows me that they took away the headphone jack but I'm glad that 256GB is a option since they don't have expandable storage.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
There's some misunderstanding on this. The 769 Euro I mentioned is the regular iphone 7. Take off 119 USD from your computation.

See my updated post google was auto filtering price to other region sorry.

In the end Apple is really not ripping you off to make a quick buck.

RowdyReverb

I'll be getting a Jet Black 7 Plus, and absolutely won't be using a case. Come at me, bro.

I had a case on my original 8GB iPhone and the 3GS. 5+ phones later, and I haven't used a case or a screen protector, and have never suffered a terribly damaged phone or scratched screen. Even the black, chamfered edges on the 5 stayed in good condition.
I wonder if scuffs will be super obvious on that glossy surface though

KingKong

fwiw the Apple leather case is the nicest and best looking case I've used. Feels so much better than holding the actual phone

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
fwiw the Apple leather case is the nicest and best looking case I've used. Feels so much better than holding the actual phone

I tried that case many times, and I just can't. It's really nice and all and slim, yet it's still too bulky for me. No case is the only option for me. Also the leather case looks a mess after a bit of use.

-d0hv

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/iphone-7-offer.htm

Awesome promotion from T-Mobile for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

New and existing T-Mobile customers: Starting September 9 at 12:01am PT, all new and current T-Mobile customers can pre-order a new iPhone 7 from T-Mobile and get up to $650 in monthly bill credits over 24 months when they trade-in their iPhone 6 or newer model. Want a different model or more memory? Just pay a little more upfront.
Every T-Mobile customer: T-Mobile customers enjoy unique Un-carrier benefits. No annual service contracts, no overages, free global data roaming in 140+ countries, and unlimited talk, text and data on the nation’s fastest 4G LTE network that now covers nearly 312 million people.

Ashhong

So I bought my 6 through a 2 year subsidized plan with Verizon. Once those 2 years are up, will my plan price automatically go down at all?

RowdyReverb

I tried that case many times, and I just can't. It's really nice and all and slim, yet it's still too bulky for me. No case is the only option for me. Also the leather case looks a mess after a bit of use.

-d0hv
I've had the same navy blue leather case on my 6 for close to to years and I love the way it looks and feels. It's a little roughed up, but it's leather so it wears well

DOWN

Banned

-d0hv

I've had the same navy blue leather case on my 6 for close to to years and I love the way it looks and feels. It's a little roughed up, but it's leather so it wears well

My black leather case looks awesome two years in. Best phone case I've ever had

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The new one for the 7 looks even better, seems they've finally got a good solution for pressing buttons. That was really my only complaint with the current one.

Top Bottom