• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

But those are ugly as fuck.
They also don't have the slick Siri integration.

They have a mic and they have a play button. That's enough for Siri integration.

You can control the haptic feedback tap of the Home Button in Settings. To what degree I don't know, tho.

I hadn't seen that anywhere, just the verge(?) thing about it being bad.

I want to hear more impressions. Even the verge, in the video they posted above that same article, seemed to like it.

So if I was considering upgrading my iPhone 5S

What Android phones should I be looking at, available now and soon, within the next 6 months?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
They usually offer store pickup, right? I fly out Friday at 4:30PM in the 16th and I want to order a phone + watch series 2 and grab it right in the AM.

So if I was considering upgrading my iPhone 5S

What Android phones should I be looking at, available now and soon, within the next 6 months?

If you don't want bloatware and want a more clean,pure android experience, then wait till next month when the new Google Pixel(formerly Nexus) phones are released.

Tendo

Anyone do the apple upgrade plan? Thinking about doing that for the wife and I here as we both need new phones but know next years phone will be the big revision.

Anyone do the apple upgrade plan? Thinking about doing that for the wife and I here as we both need new phones but know next years phone will be the big revision.

I'm on it. It's pretty great, even more so now with the new AppleCare+ screen repair pricing

I do. It's great. I pay Apple direct. It's unlocked. I get Applecare. I get a new one each year and pay basically the same amount.

KingKong

I do. It's great. I pay Apple direct. It's unlocked. I get Applecare. I get a new one each year and pay basically the same amount.

So how does that work, you just get a new phone without paying anything extra and send the old one in? Or does it extend your payment another 2 years

Iacobellis

Does Apple ever accept PayPal as a payment method for preorders in the US? Assuming if the phone were to be bought outright unlocked.

So how does that work, you just get a new phone without paying anything extra and send the old one in? Or does it extend your payment another 2 years

You're making payments on the phone for 2 years. But after 12 months you can trade the phone in and upgrade to another. Has to be done at a physical retail location

Do I sign up for the program on the 9th during pre sale then?

Reserve your model and pop in store to actually sign up

Does Apple ever accept PayPal as a payment method for preorders in the US? Assuming if the phone were to be bought outright unlocked.

I don't believe so. If you're looking for a truly SIM-free model you'll have to wait a few months for that, even if you buy full price on launch day it'll have to be activated on a carrier

BFIB

Yup, this.
I honestly expect to see these (from third parties, of course) not too long after launch

Pgn8G4C.jpeg
I don't get how anyone is ok with this.

Erebus

I want to hear more impressions. Even the verge, in the video they posted above that same article, seemed to like it.
I think it just takes some getting used to.

This is from Engadget:

“Man, that new Home button is weird. iPhone newcomers won’t have any trouble adapting to the change, but it feels almost jarring to someone who has used iPhones pretty regularly since the 4’s launch in 2010. It works like force-pressing one of Apple’s new Macbook trackpads, but it doesn’t really feel like it — you’ll feel a blip from the phone’s Taptic Engine instead of feeling the button depress like you’re using a 3D Touch gesture on the screen.”

And AnandTech:

Things like the new solid-state home button are a huge step forward as far as feel and reliability goes, but in some sense knowing that this is ultimately a capacitive touch sensor with some force sensing was somewhat confusing at first because I touched the home button the way I would an HTC 10 and expected it to work off of almost no actuation pressure. If you treat this home button like a physical home button though it works just as expected, and feels just like a real button. Unlike a real button it’s unlikely that you’ll ever break this home button though, so with time I’ll probably see less people using on-screen buttons to compensate for broken home buttons.

Flandy

I don't know if I should get a 128GB 7 Plus or an Android Phone. Currently on a 64GB 6 Plus.
I've always used iPhones but the lack of headphone jack really kills my enthusiasm for it.
Anyone have any suggestions on Android phones or should I just bite the bullet and get a 7.

For the record I'm not too invested in the App Store and don't mind leaving my purchases behind. I just like the ease of use on iOS

robotrock

Banned
I don't know if I should get a 128GB 7 Plus or an Android Phone
I've always used iPhones but the lack of headphone jack really kills my enthusiasm for it.
Anyone have any suggestions on Android phones or should I just bite the bullet and get a 7.

For the record I'm too invested in the App Store and don't mind leaving my purchases behind. I just like the ease of use on iOS

Just get the 7 then, I'm sure the adapter will help you out.

KingKong

You're making payments on the phone for 2 years. But after 12 months you can trade the phone in and upgrade to another. Has to be done at a physical retail location

So youre either paying 650+ all at once or over two years or youre paying 125 bucks more and get applecare and the upgrade?

icespide

Banned
Hmm so whats the catch. Is it something you can only do once?

So youre either paying 650+ all at once or over two years or youre paying 125 bucks more and get applecare and the upgrade?

there's no catch really. you could potentally buy the phone all at once and sell it yourself in a year and save more money that way

doing it with an upgrade plan like this is just a lot more convenient

KingKong

Right ok, I think I was confused by thinking its an ongoing thing but its a 2 year payment so obviously it just includes the one upgrade. I was thinking it was like an iPhone subscription lol

icespide

Banned
Right ok, I think I was confused by thinking its an ongoing thing but its a 2 year payment so obviously it just includes the one upgrade. I was thinking it was like an iPhone subscription lol

it's sorta kinda a contact but not really, it is for all intents and purposes an interest-free loan. You can get out of it whenever you want, you just have to pay the remaining balance

UK consumer here,

So I have a regular iPhone 6s 64gb and am interested in the regular iPhone 7

With the iPhone update programme, is there any benefit to doing that rather than just buying the 7 outright for 699? It should be mentioned that my 6s is slightly cracked in the very top left of the bezel on the phone, so selling it on may not get me much return.. Is it better to use this programme?

No matter how you choose to upgrade you'll wind up paying full retail price. Either through device payments or services charges from your carrier, it's always been unavoidable. With the upgrade program if you decide to upgrade every year and turn in your phone, you only end up paying half the retail price for it and half the price of applecare

it's sorta kinda a contact but not really, it is for all intents and purposes an interest-free loan. You can get out of it whenever you want, you just have to pay the remaining balance

Exactly this

giga

Some tidbits from buzzfeed: https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczko...headphone-jack?utm_term=.txQzz7x9Z#.kw7KKLnqR

Though AirPods use Bluetooth, the W1 chip is used to get around a lot of Bluetooth's problems.

AirPods use Bluetooth for their connection. Bluetooth headphones have historically suffered from a conga line of connectivity problems: onerous pairing, dropped connections, crappy sound. Apple is confident it’s solved them all with that W1 chip. “As you can imagine, by developing our own Bluetooth chip and controlling both ends of the pairing process there’s a lot of magic we can do,” Ternus says. “We use a Bluetooth connection, but cover it in a lot of secret sauce.”

Just what’s in the secret sauce, Apple won’t say. But AirPods have been in development for a while. “These are as advanced a project as Apple Pencil,” Schiller told me. “We started this project when we started the Watch project. We knew we needed a great wireless solution for audio. We said, ‘What if you could design what the future of headphones should look like?’ That’s we asked the team to do.”

The combined promise of sound quality, a steady Bluetooth connection, the battery life, the voice control, and ease of pairing across devices, all free of wires — if it all works, these things do seem to provide value an order of magnitude greater than even the priciest wired buds. But it’s also up to Apple to sell these things, to convince people that they want them. That’s harder, but not impossible.

Part of the reason for the headphone jack removal was for greater room for battery as well as the camera system.

“It was holding us back from a number of things we wanted to put into the iPhone,” Riccio says. “It was fighting for space with camera technologies and processors and battery life. And frankly, when there’s a better, modern solution available, it’s crazy to keep it around.”

It’s hard to imagine Apple’s hardware design team hamstrung by a diminutive legacy port. But when you’re dealing with a computing device with extraordinarily tight dimensional tolerances, there are bound to be challenges. Riccio spends a good 15 minutes explaining them. I’ll try to do it in two.

A tentpole feature of the new iPhones are improved camera systems that are larger than the cameras in the devices that preceded them. The iPhone 7 now has the optical image stabilization feature previously reserved for its larger Plus siblings. And the iPhone 7 Plus has two complete camera systems side by side — one with a fixed wide-angle lens, the other with a 2x zoom telephoto lens. At the top of both devices is something called the “driver ledge” — a small printed circuit board that drives the iPhone’s display and its backlight. Historically, Apple placed it there to accommodate improvements in battery capacity, where it was out of the way. But according to Riccio, the driver ledge interfered with the iPhone 7 line’s new larger camera systems, so Apple moved the ledge lower in both devices. But there, it interfered with other components, particularly the audio jack.
So the company’s engineers tried removing the jack.

In doing so, they discovered a few things. First, it was easier to install the “Taptic Engine” that drives the iPhone 7’s new pressure-sensitive home button, which, like the trackpads on Apple’s latest MacBook, uses vibrating haptic sensations to simulate the feeling of a click — without actually clicking. (Did we mention that Apple killed the physical home button too?) Taptic Engine vibrations will also be used to deliver feeling specific notifications — hitting the end of a scrolled page, for example. And because Apple has given developers an API for it, an awful lot of other stuff as well — particularly in games.

Battery is larger.

Second, there was an unforeseen opportunity to increase battery life. So the battery in the iPhone 7 is 14% bigger than the one in its predecessor, and in the iPhone 7 Plus, it’s 5% bigger. In terms of real-world performance gains, that’s about an additional two hours and one hour, respectively. Not bad.

How much the headphone jack occupies inside:

sub-buzz-30718-1473102108-1.jpg

I got like 3 different cases already coming in around the 3rd week of September. Spent like less than $3 on each case through Amazon (Ringke, Spigen and Caseology):

Front page deals are always popping up on Slickdeals.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
So is it worth it to stay up until 3 am ET to try to reserve the iPhone on Apples site or should I wait till the morning?

icespide

Banned
So is it worth it to stay up until 3 am ET to try to reserve the iPhone on Apples site or should I wait till the morning?

it's really hard to say with this one. Usually the major redesign iPhones are CRAZY in terms of preorders but the S models are a little less crazy. The 7 is an odd beast in that it's seen as a modest update to some, so I'm not really sure what to expect in terms of how crazy preorders/lines will be.

Vyer

Some tidbits from buzzfeed: https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczko...headphone-jack?utm_term=.txQzz7x9Z#.kw7KKLnqR

Though AirPods use Bluetooth, the W1 chip is used to get around a lot of Bluetooth's problems.

Part of the reason for the headphone jack removal was for greater room for battery as well as the camera system.

Battery is larger.

How much the headphone jack occupies inside:

sub-buzz-30718-1473102108-1.jpg

Hmm..

Taptic Engine vibrations will also be used to deliver feeling specific notifications — hitting the end of a scrolled page, for example. And because Apple has given developers an API for it, an awful lot of other stuff as well — particularly in games.

That's interesting. It's not talked about as much, but I'm most curious about these home button changes.

RowdyReverb

I'm so in.
iPhone 7, Jet Black, 128 gigs

Can't decide how I want to pay for it though. Up front? Apple's payment plan? AT&T Next?

Fuck, I'm thinking about getting a jet black iPhone and putting a clear case on it. I hate clear cases though, they always seem so cheap or ugly.

Top Bottom