• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Big Brett

Where are some screens of this headphone adapter? I think killing 3.5mm for an adapter is a no-go for me. Thinking of switching back to android anyway.

Jeffrey

How does the lightning to 3.5mm adapter work? Does it have a built in DAC? Does the phone have a DAC... but why would it?

Servbot24

Banned
SDxU7GKl.png

My 6s has a scratch on the screen, wonder how this will work...

How quickly do online pre-orders usually sell out? Is it within seconds or can I comfortably get my pre-order in? How was it for the iPhone 6 and 6s? I'd hate to wake up at 3am just to miss out because my connection was slow or something.

Salbug

I don't really mind the loss of the jack port as I rarely used it anymore so I'll be grabbing the 7 plus as soon as I can.

How quickly do online pre-orders usually sell out? Is it within seconds or can I comfortably get my pre-order in? How was it for the iPhone 6 and 6s? I'd hate to wake up at 3am just to miss out because my connection was slow or something.

10 minutes until back order isn't uncommon.

How does the lightning to 3.5mm adapter work? Does it have a built in DAC? Does the phone have a DAC... but why would it?

The adapter will have a DAC because Lightning is purely a high speed serial bus. The phone still has a DAC because it needs to play audio through the speakers.

Jeffrey

The adapter will have a DAC because Lightning is purely a high speed serial bus. The phone still has a DAC because it needs to play audio through the speakers.

hmmm so the audio quality should be comparable to a 6S native 3.5mm port with same headphones?

Unless they changed up the DAC on the phone.

hmmm so the audio quality should be comparable to a 6S native 3.5mm port with same headphones?

Unless they changed up the DAC on the phone.

It depends. Apple uses custom Cirrus Logic gear on the iPhone. We won't know how good the gear is until the teardowns of the unit and the adapter cable.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So to get on the apple upgrade program for T-Mobile I have to go in the apple store? Does this mean I will automatically miss the initial shipment?

Ghazi

The new one for the 7 looks even better, seems they've finally got a good solution for pressing buttons. That was really my only complaint with the current one.

I wonder what the chances of them redesigning the 6 leather case is. This is the first I've heard of them and I think they look pretty nice.

How hard is it to push the buttons in? I'm genuinely thinking about getting one.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So my solution to upgrade me and the wife.

1. Get on Apples iPhone forever program.

2. Pay remaining $200 to buy off our current 6s and 6s+ from T-Mobile Jump on Demand.

3. Sell the phones locally for around $500 each.

4. Have $600 to blow on whatever. Wife will probably get a watch.

Red

Can you trade in phones on Apple's upgrade plan or make a down payment to have smaller payments each month?

So does the lightning port actually benefit sound quality at all compared to the traditional port?

I can't seem to find any information on this anywhere (just the same recycled comments).

So to get on the apple upgrade program for T-Mobile I have to go in the apple store? Does this mean I will automatically miss the initial shipment?

They'll have in-store appointments available at the 12:01am/3:01am PST/EST frenzy for you to go in and they'll have stock reserved for you. They line you up, send you in 40 at a time, process your order and send you on your way.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
They'll have in-store appointments available at the 12:01am/3:01am PST/EST frenzy for you to go in and they'll have stock reserved for you. They line you up, send you in 40 at a time, process your order and send you on your way.

So I would have to be at the store at 12:01am PST on the 9th?

Or do I just set the reservation online at midnight and go in store sometime later during the day?

border

Best Buy sells a refurbished 6S Plus 64GB for $560.

The 7 Plus 32GB is $869 new.

Are the new features really worth an extra $300? The 6S was already pretty much waterproof, wasn't it? Does the 7 Plus have more RAM?

EDITed for math error

So I would have to be at the store at 12:01am EST on the 9th?

Or do I just set the reservation online at midnight and go in store sometime later during the day?

Reservation online at midnight and go into the store on the 13th at your appointment time.

Normally they open before the mall so you drive around looking for Apple employees, park nearby, tell them your reservation and they'll put you in a line for your timeslot.

So you can charge it while you're using headphones? I like the idea of the airpods but they'll need to be charged...

To upgrade from a 6 Plus or switch to pre-paid and save up to $70 a month... That is the question.

I don't know if there are enough advancements to pull me in... I wanted the edge less screen.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Reservation online at midnight and go into the store on the 13th at your appointment time.

Normally they open before the mall so you drive around looking for Apple employees, park nearby, tell them your reservation and they'll put you in a line for your timeslot.

Cool. Could I buy mine and my wife's phone or is it one per person?

My last four phones have been iPhones but the way they handled this headphone jack thing just rubs me the wrong way. They didn't even say something like "In order to maximize the phone's battery..." or "To accommodate our new home button...". Instead they had the gall to say that 'courage' bullshit. Lightning headphones seem to have no advantage over standard headphones and wireless headphones are a neat concept, but generally seem to be lower audio quality at a much higher price. It could not have been more clear from that event that the prime reason they got rid of the headphone jack was to sell us more accessories. There's nothing here to justify the inconvenience of losing the jack. My 6 still works great, I guess I'll wait to see if Samsung or Google catch my eye or see if the iPhone 8 is the revelatory iPhone it's rumored to be.

They absolutely said that it was to make space for more battery, better camera system etc.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I wonder what the chances of them redesigning the 6 leather case is. This is the first I've heard of them and I think they look pretty nice.

How hard is it to push the buttons in? I'm genuinely thinking about getting one.
Highly doubt they'd redesign the existing case for the current phones.

On mine it takes quite a bit of pressure to press the power button, enough that it's noticeable in everyday use. It hasn't really improved with time either. The volume buttons work better I would say, but I don't use those too often. Basically it's a bit "mushy". I'm not surprised they tried to do something better this time.

Ecto311

First upgrade in a few years - anyone on the next plan with att where you need to give back the phone to get a new one? How do the preorders work with that bullshit?

Top Bottom