• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IRC download basics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone posted this link last time I asked

http://ronin.soldats.net/leech_guide.html

it really does not help me at all, I can't really understand it
I am not using mIRC since I am using a Mac with OS X

I have Snak IRC only because I use it to chat on IGN

can anyone post the basic commands I need to find and download files using Snak IRC for OS X?

just trying to learn the basics

demi

Do you know what server / channel your source is in that distributes these scans?

Just join it and normally they should have a !list for all the available XDCC servers. Most of these have a "trigger", a command you have to type, such as !Give_Me_Manga! or something. Just copy and paste that, which then shoots a DCC chat invite to your screen.

Accept that, then you'll be in a window similar to DOS, which allows you to use basic commands such as DIR, CD, and so forth.

Sorry if I'm not much help, is there a certain part you don't particularly understand?

I don't use a Mac so I don't know what's a good IRC client...

okay thanks that gives me a better idea of how it works...

I will just give up on IRC for now I'm always getting kicked out before I can understand the channel or find the commands why bother having the scans if you kick out the newbies

I hate these members only nerds :D

I will just join a Hentai Anonymous 12 step program I should be okay

demi

I hear Ferrio has the sign-up sheets.

IRC is kinda difficult to understand if you're particularly new, but I'm sure over time you can understand it more.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ok.. here is the easy way to do IRC..

find out what network they are on (most anime groups are on rizon.. I would assume there are plenty of scanlation groups on there as well).

log on to a server on the network (hint, go to the networks homepage first)

now you have to find out what channel the group is on.. this is usally on the groups homepage. so once you are logged in type: /j #[channel] (replace [channel] with the channel name)

now.. if you don't want to deal with fserves (which is where the bulk of having to deal with command line stuff comes with) you might be lucky enough to just deal with xdcc. many groups have an xdcc listing on the web somewhere. if you can find one (usually in the topic or motd of the channel) then just find the pack you want and type /msg [nameofxdccbot] xdcc send #[numberofpack]

to do this though you will probably need port 59 opened up on your router and pointing back to your computer. you will also need to make sure to have DCC sends turned on and make sure no personal firewall is blocking anything on port 59..

yes it is a pain, but you are right in that stuff is almost ALWAYS released to IRC first. though nowadays many times they will releases to IRC and BT. I usually try to grab it from BT because I don't want the guilty conscience of not helping support the xdcc bots. so I grab the torrent and usually upload 1.2x what I download.

yeah, maybe IRC is a little complicated for a starter.

@_@ Ohoy my head that was some good info man thanks
I will try to practice at this a little more

BIT has been a pain, slowing down my surfing but I think I will stick with it as my main source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom