• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon TCG - how is this for kids?

Cyberpunkd

First of all - this is about a paper / online version using cards, not to discuss Pokemon videogames (except the online version, see below).

Second - if a mod thinks this needs to be moved to OT go ahead.

So at around age 6-7 all the friends' kids get into Pokemon cards, so as a responsible father I decided to take a look to see what I can work with, given that it will be difficult to explain Phyrexia to a 6-year old.

First of all - the paper distribution model is fucking BS, I go on Amazon or specialized board game store to find "Pokemon TCG starter set" - nothing. Instead I am assaulted by endless boosters of all possible variations. Ok, but which is the product I can start with, something like "Pokemon Kids, easy cards, perfect to start". AFAIK there is nothing. It doesn't help that there are endless fakes available.

Second - tried the new Pokemon TCG launching out of beta in June, as I understand it will take over from the existing game. Can someone explain to me why the matches last 25 minutes? I am used to 5-minutes Marvel Snap, even 10-minutes Runeterra or Gwen (fuck, Gwent is ace!). How can anyone expect a young child to spend 25 minutes on a match?

SCB3

First of all - the paper distribution model is fucking BS, I go on Amazon or specialized board game store to find "Pokemon TCG starter set" - nothing. Instead I am assaulted by endless boosters of all possible variations. Ok, but which is the product I can start with, something like "Pokemon Kids, easy cards, perfect to start". AFAIK there is nothing. It doesn't help that there are endless fakes available.
Grab this, it gives a full step by step of how to play the game with a predetermined Deck to start (and can then shuffle and play with 3 pre made decks)

Second - tried the new Pokemon TCG launching out of beta in June, as I understand it will take over from the existing game. Can someone explain to me why the matches last 25 minutes?
Much like the game, the goal is to eliminate/Defeat 6 Pokemon (well claim 6 prize cards, defeating certain cards will grant 2 Prize cards) on a turn based manner, remember you can only Attack once per turn as that ends the turn, watch this video for a pretty good explaination:

My only real issue is the fact to be competitive you need to buy certain cards, the issue there is Booster packs are random, so you either have to get lucky or go and buy the card individually which is fucking expensive atm, I stopped playing the psychical TCG in favor of the Online version, the new app fucking sucks though

Oh and about your point about kids playing for 25 mins, usually they reduce the Prize cards to 3 for a shorter game, depends on age

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Grab this, it gives a full step by step of how to play the game with a predetermined Deck to start (and can then shuffle and play with 3 pre made decks)

Much like the game, the goal is to eliminate/Defeat 6 Pokemon (well claim 6 prize cards, defeating certain cards will grant 2 Prize cards) on a turn based manner, remember you can only Attack once per turn as that ends the turn, watch this video for a pretty good explaination:

My only real issue is the fact to be competitive you need to buy certain cards, the issue there is Booster packs are random, so you either have to get lucky or go and buy the card individually which is fucking expensive atm, I stopped playing the psychical TCG in favor of the Online version, the new app fucking sucks though

Oh and about your point about kids playing for 25 mins, usually they reduce the Prize cards to 3 for a shorter game, depends on age

I didn't mean to say I don't know how to play it - that's easy for me. It's just the cards seem to me super complicated for kids. I'm used to arcane mechanics from playing MTG.

Amory

I didn't mean to say I don't know how to play it - that's easy for me. It's just the cards seem to me super complicated for kids. I'm used to arcane mechanics from playing MTG.
Idk, maybe the game has gotten more complex from when I played it as a kid (I played Pokemon and MTG) but even around 7 or 8 years old I didn’t think the games were hard to learn

If it’s the fad everyone’s into, kids who are motivated to learn the game usually pick it up pretty quickly

Or they’re like my 7 year old nephew who collects them and just puts them in a binder and decides which cards are strong purely by artwork lol

Halcyon

My daughter is super into TCG at age 7 but she has no interest in playing. We just collect rares. I was very confused in terms of like getting a deck to play with and I realized none of the different expansions matter you can find any $15 starter deck and play regardless. I have no idea what 'good' decks would look like and how to effectively play the meta though.

That being said we have a Moonbreon and like 4 or 5 other $200+ value cards we've pulled since we started collecting in March.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Kids just buy them cuz they like the games. The mechanics and game are WAAAAAAY more complex than the WotC 1999 launch base set.

I used to play XY to Sun/Moon and after I jumped off the power creep just looked insane to me.

Last edited:

Doom85

LtVWlrp.jpg

KrakenIPA

I am an old 'Legacy' MTG player, I have a ton of old cards. I like them because they are simple, but I don't think I can put up any of my old 1999 decks against these new decks. It was a different time, and a different game. Thankfully I have all of those decks and cards, and I will not sell them. They are beyond monetary value, they just mean too much to me.

Reactions: Gp1

Gp1

I don't know if I would introduce TCG to my kids seeing how much my parents spend with my 4th edition, antiques etc MTG.

nush

il_1140xN.854347390_9g6t.jpg

Same shit I loved as a kid but with a game attached. As an adult you're not supposed to understand, just buy more packs to make your kid happy.

Porcile

Hint. It's not for kids, even though you are talking about the game itself. However, they are releasing a version called the Pokémon Trading Card Game Classic featuring the original base set cards and it costs like $250 maybe more.

DKehoe

When I was a kid I knew how to play the game but never really did, and none of the people I knew did either. Occasionally we might play a bastardised version where you don't use energy cards and that kinda thing but that was about it. I don't remember thinking the actual rules were that complicated though.

Top Bottom